* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #301 14 01 29 *

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,561Gear list
Like?
* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #301 14 01 29 *
6 months ago

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We are continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you may post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you should critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite. If you don’t care for an image try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 h after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily!

2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have received. This could include a new version of your image modified in response to the comments.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.

• It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes. That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general musings about the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Archives".

Andrew (19andrew47)

19andrew47
Like?
* The Related Post *
In reply to 19andrew47, 6 months ago

This is a placeholder for anything related to the C&C threads. And we do mean anything: feel free to start a discussion about the threads, or how you felt when your image was trashed by some mean know-it-all (probably not in this thread, though), or how it feels trying to say something polite about a cr @ ppy image posted for review (tough one).

This is also the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking.

The C&C participants will be more than happy to consider all input.

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
19andrew47
Like?
* Archives *

Here is the list of all previous editions of our weekly exercise in ruthless peer-to-peer coaching for better photography; a refuge from gear discussions.

All Threads from 2014

Week 300 14 01 22 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52955902

Week 299 14 01 15 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52911432

Week 298 14 01 08 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52861838

Week 297 14 01 01 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52814240

All Previous Threads

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52814278

19andrew47
Like?
Custom Harley Davidson

I thought I would try giving a bike the same type of treatment I have used on the old classic cars and custom rods. Below are a monochrome and colour version of a bike a shoot at the Friday the Thirteenth Rally in Port Dover Ontario in 2012.  My preference between the two is the monochrome image.

Andrew

and the original image

Scott Whittemore
Senior MemberPosts: 2,835
Like?
Re: Custom Harley Davidson

I love the colors and luster in this. Nice job removing all the background. I agree with your preference for the color version. My only nit is the tops of the fenders and fuel tank, which have relatively high luminosity in the original but not in the finished version. That luminosity would better define those lines against the black background.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Dereliction

Dereliction (E-5 & ZD 14-35 f2 SWD)

-- hide signature --
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,211
Like?
Re: Custom Harley Davidson

Hi mate more nice work, for me the colour version is stronger. I feel it frames the bike better.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Dereliction
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 6 months ago

Hi mate classic image great colours and framing, the only thing that distracts my eye is the blue tank in the background. I see that you could not frame the image differently and wonder if you thought of cloning it out?

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
R.A.A.F...

Hi everyone, had my youngest son out on a driving lesson and stopped into a local aircraft museum.

Regards.

Stephen.

19andrew47
Like?
Custom Harley Davidson: a more natural version

Cleaned up, but wthout the treatment, however some local tone mapping.

Andrew

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

great use of reflections... nice pattern. I agree about the blue tank: slightly distracting.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sleepy Squirrel

sleepy squirrel

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,728Gear list
Like?
Sleepy Squirrel
In reply to Doctor Lecter, 6 months ago

Doctor Lecter wrote:

sleepy squirrel

I would have probably open the lens up a bit, just my preference. Although it is not unimportant to have as much of your subject in focus, the background blur can also draw the attention away from it.

Another thing is, for the frame to be complete, there must always be some point of convergence somewhere. That is if the squirrel is in the third of the frame, it would be better placed to look and angle inside the frame as well, and not outside. Unless the shadow was a part of your composition of course, but it is not that obvious.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,728Gear list
Like?
Jumper ..

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Old pier at low tide

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I'm very much a newbie to doing anything other than pointing and shooting.

This pic was taken this morning. It's an old pier in the town where I live which is only visible on a very low tide. I haven't done anything to the photo other than crop it slightly, as I have not yet got as far as learning anything about post processing! I didn't have a tripod as I was out walking the dog, so had my hands quite full - but did the best I could under the conditions.

Look forward to any comments. Thanks,

Liz

NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?

Beautiful. The symmetry has been captured so well it looks as if these frames are floating in the air, just above the bed of the water. I love the dreamy feeling it evokes.

I hadn't noticed the blue building in the background, but once I read the other comments and looked again, I did agree that it's slightly distracting. Very selfish of the builders to put it there!

Liz

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,281Gear list
Like?
Abandon Ship

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Sleepy Squirrel
In reply to Doctor Lecter, 6 months ago

The background is a bit distracting and the subject looks a bit dark on my screen. A bit less DoF might have worked better (as long as focus is maintained on the eye). I think I would crop from top and left to eliminate as much of the background as possible and to position the subject so it is not facing out of the frame quite so radically. I'd also try to soften that one bright background spot and add a little shadow fill to brighten the eye and fur in the shadow.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Jumper ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 6 months ago

Nice capture. Good light on the parachute and its operator bringing out the texture in the fabric and nice detail in the body & face. The composition is great but I think the top of the parachute is a bit too close to the top edge of the frame.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Old pier at low tide
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 6 months ago

It's a well composed image and nice and sharp with very nice color. Nice job capturing it under the circumstances.. I like the position of the foreground wave and the diagonal orientation of the rotted pilings.

It's a bit tilted and that would be easily corrected with a bit of clockwise rotation. It might also benefit from a little bit of shadow fill to bring out more detail in the pilings and the rock.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads