Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Blue Jay
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1
In reply to Al Valentino, 11 months ago

Earlier post - "I personally wouldn't mind Fuji incorporating the X-T1 like viewfinder in upcoming XPRO-2 or X-E3 even if it means slightly bigger size but retaining the current form. Just my wish."

Not just a wish, I think it can be done in XPRO-2. Am I asking too much?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Landsandgrooves
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 11 months ago

I have the X100s, X-E1 and X-E2.   I'll probably skip the X-T1 to see what arrives next.  Just spend time taking pictures and not worrying about the box so much.

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +21 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Landsandgrooves, 11 months ago

Landsandgrooves wrote:

I have the X100s, X-E1 and X-E2. I'll probably skip the X-T1 to see what arrives next. Just spend time taking pictures and not worrying about the box so much.

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

I feel the same way.  The 56mm f1.2 prime is almost as much $$ as the X-T1, and it will do more for my photography than another camera body that has the exact same IQ as my X-E2.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to JYPfoto, 11 months ago

JYPfoto wrote:

I prefer to go to a concert and enjoy the music, the last thing on my mind is snapping pictures, especially if I'm not sitting right next to the stage. I don't blame those that take pictures at concerts or shows, just it's not for me. Even worse are those who seem determined to video tao and entire concert on their iPhone. I mean, really? Are you ever going to watch it again?

Not the point.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 11 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Landsandgrooves wrote:

I have the X100s, X-E1 and X-E2. I'll probably skip the X-T1 to see what arrives next. Just spend time taking pictures and not worrying about the box so much.

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

I feel the same way. The 56mm f1.2 prime is almost as much $$ as the X-T1, and it will do more for my photography than another camera body that has the exact same IQ as my X-E2.

I've no intention of getting rid of my X-E1 after my X-T1 arrives, although I'm certainly curious as to how my usage of both will divide itself. At present, I aim to use my pancake almost exclusively with the first-born; we shall see.

Weirdly enough, I still don't feel the need for another camera; I'm still exhilarated by the X-E1 - I'll try the 56 on that one first, without a doubt. I have a detached feeling that I'm watching myself succumb to GAS and both unable and unwilling to stop. That's strong potion Fuji make.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?
In reply to Blue Jay, 11 months ago

Blue Jay wrote:

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

Stealth has nothing to do with camera shape... nobody out on the street is thinking, wow, that faux-dslr shape is so easy to see but that RF shape is invisible.

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 703
Like?

I agree as well. I shoot normal to wide and don't need the improved support of a centered eyepiece design. I value small. While the larger evf is high on my list of wants, the implementation of the control set is a turn-off (locking knobs, too much on the body).

I think it will sell well and I think buyers will certainly get their money's worth. But I'll wait to see what an xp1 successor brings. When it comes to taking pictures, my xe1 gets the job done just fine.

Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,417Gear list
Like?
Disagree on terminology...
In reply to John Gellings, 11 months ago

John Gellings wrote:

Stealth has nothing to do with camera shape... nobody out on the street is thinking, wow, that faux-dslr shape is so easy to see but that RF shape is invisible.

Stealth may not be the proper word... Perception maybe should have been used.  Often when using a DSLR people seem a bit on edge.. store owners wonder what you are doing, so do security goons, people tend to shy away once you are spotted, etc.

When I have used any small boxy style camera, whether it be a D-Lux 4, GF1 or the X-E2, the perception seems to change from me possibly being a pro, reporter, terrorist, lawyer or some other "type" one needs to wary of to some spare tourist guy with a point and shoot.. and they ignore me.... in a sense that might be considered stealth.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Ross Kennedy
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?

I'm not a fan of the blank face on the X-E1/2 - I prefer the X-Pro as I think it looks better with the viewfinder window but I agree that the RF-style seems more elegant than the SLR style.

One of the things I love about the RF-style Fujis is that most people have no idea what they are and completely ignore them when I'm out and about taking pictures. I think the X-T1 will get more attention with all the extra bits and pieces on the top plate.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
Re: Disagree on terminology...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 11 months ago

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

Stealth has nothing to do with camera shape... nobody out on the street is thinking, wow, that faux-dslr shape is so easy to see but that RF shape is invisible.

Stealth may not be the proper word... Perception maybe should have been used. Often when using a DSLR people seem a bit on edge.. store owners wonder what you are doing, so do security goons, people tend to shy away once you are spotted, etc.

When I have used any small boxy style camera, whether it be a D-Lux 4, GF1 or the X-E2, the perception seems to change from me possibly being a pro, reporter, terrorist, lawyer or some other "type" one needs to wary of to some spare tourist guy with a point and shoot.. and they ignore me.... in a sense that might be considered stealth.

Once Google glasses are perfected and made invisible, we will be able to leave our DSLR at home hooked to our computer and take professional grade pictures without anyone knowing we even own a camera.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

John Gellings
Like?
Re: Disagree on terminology...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 11 months ago

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

Stealth may not be the proper word... Perception maybe should have been used. Often when using a DSLR people seem a bit on edge.. store owners wonder what you are doing, so do security goons, people tend to shy away once you are spotted, etc.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

So, you really think that people are going to realize the difference between the X-E2 and the X-T1?  Do you think the hump magically makes them see the camera?

With DSLRs, it is mostly the zoom lenses that people are conscious of due to them being huge.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to afragisk, 11 months ago

afragisk wrote:I seriously doubt there will be any price drop on the XE2, why should there be one ??

Because I want to buy one?

km25
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?

I do like the PRO viewing sent up, you can shot and just depend on the AF, little green box and get the image real fast. The new X-T1 looks intresting. May Fuji is testing the waters before coming out with the X-Pro 2. I feel as if in a year from now Fuji will decision on which way to go. Then we will start seeing new sensors. Higher MP, maybe FF. I am going to wait and see . My old X-PRO 1 will still create  fine images. Now lens that is different. I do not see Fuji going FF. Then again maybe they will have both and come out with a FF or near FF camera. Botom line each one they come with is not failure and makes for good images...wait and see, is what I say.

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
Mike Carroccio
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
In reply to km25, 11 months ago

QUOTE:

"I'm not a fan of the blank face on the X-E1/2 - I prefer the X-Pro as I think it looks better with the viewfinder window but I agree that the RF-style seems more elegant than the SLR style."

I like the look also. Perhaps we need a fake, stick-on, viewfinder window to stick on the front of our X-E bodies! 

Mike Carroccio's gear list:Mike Carroccio's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Carroccio, 11 months ago

Phantastic idea!

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 11 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

afragisk wrote:I seriously doubt there will be any price drop on the XE2, why should there be one ??

Because I want to buy one?

Because, quite simply, the X-T1 displaces the X-E2 as the latest in Fuji X technology.  And some are bound to sell their X-E2s in order to have the latest and greatest, which so many seem to chase after in these Forums. Demand for new X-E2s may similarly drop when persons who might have purchased one buy an X-T1 instead.

The form factor -- hump versus no-hump -- may be irrelevant to many.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

I don't see any reason why the X-Ex would drop out of the lineup. It makes sense even with the addition of the X-Tx series.

From a pure design standpoint I favor the rangefinder form factor. It's cleaner and more elegant to my eye. I see no reason why Fuji couldn't design a rangefinder style X mount cam with the larger EVF. it would be the X-Pro1 with the new EVF instead of the large hybrid OVF/EVF it has now. Would that be an X-Pro2 or an X-E3? My guess is that's what Fuji is figuring out right now. Either way my money is on Fuji continuing on with the rangefinder form factor. They've established it as a big part of their brand identity. The addition of the X-T1 doesn't change that.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
John Gellings
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

Tapper123 wrote:

Blue Jay wrote:

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

I'm sure there will be many who feel as you do.

Personally I think RF form factor is perhaps a little better, but I don't mind the SLR form factor. Plus I used a film SLR for many years, so X-T1 seems great to me.

Don't you think it's good that Fuji now offers both designs? Something for everyone.

Yes, I am definitely for more choices for the consumer. But I hope, Fuji can fit that nice viewfinder into the X-E2 too, X-E3 maybe ps. I cant imagine, they put a hump on Leica...

Haven't you ever heard of the Leica R series?  Also, the Leica X2 and Leica M240 use external EVFs which make a hump seem awesome in comparison.

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?

I also much prefer rangefinder like bodies over slr like ones. Unfortunately the market lately seems to be going the 'mini slr' route for mirrorless, with sony, samsung, oly and now fuji presenting high end models shaped like this.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, 11 months ago

There is probably more than one reason why Fuji have elected to change the body shape in their latest camera. Market research has shown that a lot of buyers of more expensive cameras favour the DSLR shaped body , this is said to be particularly true of the American market which sees such cameras as being 'real cameras'.

Those with left eye dominance find the use of Left positioned EVFs difficult although centrally placed VF's end up causing smudged LCD's for both right & left eye users.

It is said that a central VF allows the camera to feel better balanced especially when using longer , heavier lenses , the recently announced large aperture zooms fall onto this category.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads