Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,652
Like?
Re: Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1
In reply to Blue Jay, 11 months ago

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

The EVF of the X-T1 does not have a faster refresh than the X-E2. It has a shorter lag time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blue Jay
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to dotborg, 11 months ago

dotborg wrote:

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

The EVF of the X-T1 does not have a faster refresh than the X-E2. It has a shorter lag time.

"With a display lag of only 0.005 seconds (X-E2: 0.05s, Olympus OM-D E-M1: 0.029s), the X-T1 is ready to capture fast action, including moving objects. The camera’s predictive autofocus encompasses the central nine autofocus frames (there’s a total of 49) and works with bursts of either 3 or 8 frames per second (fps) of continuous shooting. The large electronic viewfinder (EVF) is housed in the “hump” and delivers an impressive magnification of 0.77x (E-M1: 0.74x, X-E2: 0.64x) and a refresh rate of 54 fps (E-M1: 60 fps, X-E2: 50 fps). The X-T1 offers this high refresh rate even in low light: At 1.6 EV, it still clocks 54 fps, while the E-M1 slows down to 30 fps and the X-E2 to 20 fps." - quote from Fuji Rumors

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

In low light, yes it does

Blue Jay
Like?
In reply to newone757, 11 months ago

newone757 wrote:

"...refresh rate of 54 fps (E-M1: 60 fps, X-E2: 50 fps). The X-T1 offers this high refresh rate even in low light: At 1.6 EV, it still clocks 54 fps, while the E-M1 slows down to 30 fps and the X-E2 to 20 fps." - quote from Fuji Rumors

dotborg
Like?

No, it doesn't.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Before you ask my source, to quote Rico's first look from the rumor site,

"The large electronic viewfinder (EVF) is housed in the “hump” and delivers an impressive magnification of 0.77x (E-M1: 0.74x, X-E2: 0.64x) and a refresh rate of 54 fps (E-M1: 60 fps, X-E2: 50 fps). The X-T1 offers this high refresh rate even in low light: At 1.6 EV, it still clocks 54 fps, while the E-M1 slows down to 30 fps and the X-E2 to 20 fps."

That's actually pretty significant. 54 vs 20 fps in low light. I def notice the lag in my xe2 in low light. but then again when the light is that low there's not a good chance a worthwhile photograph can even be taken with almost no light (unless using flash).

Sorry for the double post, I'm on mobile

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

I agree, but the X-T1 is still very tempting... I am wondering if the split image mode could be implemented as FW in the X-E2 EVF?

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Blue Jay
Like?
In reply to gerard boulanger, 11 months ago

gerard boulanger wrote:

I agree, but the X-T1 is still very tempting... I am wondering if the split image mode could be implemented as FW in the X-E2 EVF?

That would be a nice treat, but not sure whether it can be practical in a smaller viewfinder, hope I am wrong.

Bob Gates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462Gear list
Like?

I have a Canon 5DIII and I had the X100 for a few years as well, and loved the form factor of the X100.  When I wanted more speed and interchangeable lenses, it was between the Oly OM-D EM-1 and the X-E2. While APS-C vs m43 played some part, I just couldn't bring myself to get another hump camera, it felt too much like a smaller DSLR, and I bought the X-E2.  I know that the Oly is physically not significantly bigger than the Fuji, but psychologically it just feels bigger, if that makes sense.

Over the past few weeks as the rumors swirled about the X-T1 I was worried that it would have features that would compel me to change my mind and swallow my distaste of that form factor.  I'm happy to say that hasn't happened.  Yes, there are a few nice things, especially the flip out LCD and the promise of better focus tracking, but none of them essential to my way of shooting.  So yes, count me as one who, even today, would choose the X-E2 over the X-T1 and that's largely because of the form factor.

Bob Gates's gear list:Bob Gates's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I like the larger EVF and the more solid construction of the new camera, but prefer the X-E1 form factor. Anyway, my x-e1 is only 8 months old, so no X-T1 for the time being.

Matoqui's gear list:Matoqui's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +8 more
SteveHobbs
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?

I have recently upgraded from the X-E1 to the X-E2. Primarily because I absolutely loved the format. The issues I had with the X-E1 have been addressed in the X-E2 and nice to see that they have taken forward the benefits and enhanced them for the X-T1. But, I believe that the two cameras are aimed at slightly different markets. the X-T1 is aimed at those people that find it difficult to move away from the DSLR form factor and want to feel that DSLR familiarity.  The X-E2 is less obtrusive but still packs a puch, quality of the optics are the same and image quality is superb, it just blows me away.

There are other benefits such as the environmental protection aspects of the X-T1 but these are not really an issue for me, I treat my camera with respect irrespective of the conditions. If I was going to expose myself and my camera to adverse conditions on a regular basis then the protection would certainly become a factor in my purchasing decisions.

I believe that once again Fuji are on to a winner with this new camera but I will not be changing my X-E2. The form factor, IQ and handling characteristics just suit me perfectly.

The fact that I have never received so many positive comments from friends, colleagues and family regarding the images that I now produce has had an effect, but I have to say I am my worse critic and I'm finding less and less to criticise about the images I am now produces with this X-E2. That doesn't mean that I can't improve further just that my limitations are not constrained by the camera just my skill.

SteveHobbs's gear list:SteveHobbs's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X-E2 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +1 more
dotborg
Like?

newone757 wrote:

"The large electronic viewfinder (EVF) is housed in the “hump” and delivers an impressive magnification of 0.77x (E-M1: 0.74x, X-E2: 0.64x) and a refresh rate of 54 fps (E-M1: 60 fps, X-E2: 50 fps). The X-T1 offers this high refresh rate even in low light: At 1.6 EV, it still clocks 54 fps, while the E-M1 slows down to 30 fps and the X-E2 to 20 fps."

That's actually pretty significant. 54 vs 20 fps in low light. I def notice the lag in my xe2 in low light. but then again when the light is that low there's not a good chance a worthwhile photograph can even be taken with almost no light (unless using flash).

And how did he measure these parameters? Fujifilm says nothing about the X-T1 having a faster refresh rate. In fact, most of the performance parameters are exactly the same as the X-E2: 0.08 sec AF, 0.5 sec startup, 0.5 sec shot interval, 0.005 sec shutter lag, etc. This makes sense since the X-T1 and X-E2 share the same sensor, processor and display and EVF panels.

Also, I think he's confusing that EVF refresh metric with the X-E1. Here's what the DPReview preview says about the X-E2: "One significant improvement Fujifilm claims compared to the X-E1 relates to the refresh rate in low light. Where the X-E1's finder dropped to 20 fps at 2EV, the X-E2 can now maintain 50 fps, which should give a noticeably more fluid and natural-looking live view feed." I also know from experience that the X-E2 display refresh rate does not drop off in low light.

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Gates, 11 months ago

Now, should weatherproof and a few other features show up in the XE3, I could part with my E1 and go for that is a split second. I'm not tempted by a small slr form. I love the classiness of the E1.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650Gear list
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

I almost bought the X-E2 and am so glad that I didn't. The larger viewfinder, faster, predictive focus, tilt screen, and ISO dial of the X-T1 are more than enough advantages for me to prefer the T1. The form factor difference is sort of a non-issue to me, given that they are both about the same size.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Blue Jay
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 11 months ago

I personally wouldn't mind Fuji incorporating the X-T1 like viewfinder in upcoming XPRO-2 or X-E3 even if it means slightly bigger size but retaining the current form. Just my wish.

jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 11 months ago

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

I guess I don't get the idea that the X-E2 is more stealthy than the X-T1 or an SLR. It is the same size as a traditional SLR and uses lenses that are the exact same size or larger than every manual SLR lens of equivalent focal length since the 1970's.

Walk into a concert where no photography with pro equipment is allowed and the XT1 will probably be stopped at the door.. The XE2 often just walks right in. That's a different kind of stealth... concert security goons see a DSLR and think pro... they see something like the XE2 or X100 and think point and shoot.... no threat.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

I did exactly that last week! I walked into a Dave Mason concert with my X-E2 and sat on an aisle seat. I took about 60 pictures during the concert and no one said one word to me. I posted a couple OOC jpegs in this link.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52975013

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

newone757 wrote:

And how did he measure these parameters? Fujifilm says nothing about the X-T1 having a faster refresh rate. In fact, most of the performance parameters are exactly the same as the X-E2: 0.08 sec AF, 0.5 sec startup, 0.5 sec shot interval, 0.005 sec shutter lag, etc. This makes sense since the X-T1 and X-E2 share the same sensor, processor and display and EVF panels.

Also, I think he's confusing that EVF refresh metric with the X-E1. Here's what the DPReview preview says about the X-E2: "One significant improvement Fujifilm claims compared to the X-E1 relates to the refresh rate in low light. Where the X-E1's finder dropped to 20 fps at 2EV, the X-E2 can now maintain 50 fps, which should give a noticeably more fluid and natural-looking live view feed." I also know from experience that the X-E2 display refresh rate does not drop off in low light.

Could be wrong but is think he got those numbers straight from Fuji seeing as how they gave him the camera in the 1st place . Good question to ask him though.

I notice a slowdown in the xe2, especially when focusing in low light , it skips around similar to the earlier x cameras just not as bad. Especially when focusing a panning shot. It lags when you 1st turn the camera on for a second or two as well

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?

Luckily the XT is not replacing anything! I have the XE1 and love the form factor and feels a ted more compact. The XT1 is also great as the EVF is much better. I don't mind owing both style of cameras and be able to share all the AF lenses. I think Fuji did extensive research on the sales and customer feedback from the EM1 and EM5. This is the way to go. It adds value to the brand as a SLR line cannot do both nicely.

If you wait for a few more months I bet the XE2 would come down in price.

Blue Jay wrote:

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrk, 11 months ago

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

I guess I don't get the idea that the X-E2 is more stealthy than the X-T1 or an SLR. It is the same size as a traditional SLR and uses lenses that are the exact same size or larger than every manual SLR lens of equivalent focal length since the 1970's.

Walk into a concert where no photography with pro equipment is allowed and the XT1 will probably be stopped at the door.. The XE2 often just walks right in. That's a different kind of stealth... concert security goons see a DSLR and think pro... they see something like the XE2 or X100 and think point and shoot.... no threat.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

I did exactly that last week! I walked into a Dave Mason concert with my X-E2 and sat on an aisle seat. I took about 60 pictures during the concert and no one said one word to me. I posted a couple OOC jpegs in this link.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52975013

I'm looking forward to doing the same thing - ordered my 55-200 last night for use with my X-E2.

I will never forget the time I took some pics at a local jazz concert some time ago using an Oly E3 and 35-100 f2. The lens alone weighed 1.6kg, and I remember thinking there had to be a better way one day ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?

I prefer the look of my silver, XE camera, especially when dressed up in a leather half case with a soft shutter button as well as the ability to use an old retro screw in shutter release cable. My ISO button is my Function button and the pop up flash comes in handy.

So no XT envy or desire to change. I do appreciate how Fuji has something for both types of people - too bad the XT does not come in retro silver.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads