Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Blue Jay
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1
6 months ago

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 768
Like?
Re: Still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1
In reply to Blue Jay, 6 months ago

I agree. It's a nice looking camera, and I think the X-T1 will have a rabid following, but I prefer the X-E2 design.

Biggest negative for me is the centered EVF. I tried looking through the center of my X-E2, and got a nice thumb jab in the eye... ouch.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

X-T1, nice viewfinder with faster refresh rate along with other goodies but I still like the form factor of X-E2 over X-T1. I may be odd man out here, I really want to like X-T1 but my heart is still with X-E2 form factor, the rangefinder, stealthy look. Guess the new viewfinder is too big to be fitted into a body like X-E2 or can it be?

I was holding off buying X-E2 till the X-T1 arrival. Hope the price of X-E2 goes down too. Are there people out there who's going to grab X-E2 over X-T1?

I'm sure there will be many who feel as you do.

Personally I think RF form factor is perhaps a little better, but I don't mind the SLR form factor. Plus I used a film SLR for many years, so X-T1 seems great to me.

Don't you think it's good that Fuji now offers both designs? Something for everyone.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Blue Jay
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 6 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

Blue Jay wrote:

I'm sure there will be many who feel as you do.

Personally I think RF form factor is perhaps a little better, but I don't mind the SLR form factor. Plus I used a film SLR for many years, so X-T1 seems great to me.

Don't you think it's good that Fuji now offers both designs? Something for everyone.

Yes, I am definitely for more choices for the consumer. But I hope, Fuji can fit that nice viewfinder into the X-E2 too, X-E3 maybe ps. I cant imagine, they put a hump on Leica...

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

I prefer the form of the XP1 over anything but I do adore my XE1. That new thing with the growth on top....

That form has plagued me for 50 years and I won't give into it yet..... I love cameras but in return, they must be elegant.

That's just me, I think Fuji got it right with this one.....

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?

I sort of knew about the XT1, "a bigger and faster camera that sits between the XE2 and Xpro1, with larger EVF" when I bought the XE2 due to the curiously accurate fujirumors. Bigger doesn't appeal to me, as lack of flash. I wouldn't buy even if it was Dslr fast with OVF. I sold my Canon SL1 for something smaller, not almost same size. But I can see why others are excited and I fully respect that. If anything, it's great news for all Fuji users. I seriously doubt there will be any price drop on the XE2, why should there be one ??
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollonas/
Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 1.2L + SB, Fuji 27mm 2.8, Fuji 23mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

I agree!  I do own the X-E2 and am really drawn to the RF look.  I'll pass on the X-T1 and put my money down on the wide angle zoom coming in a couple months.  I'll wait to see if there will be an X-Pro2 and what that may bring to the table.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?

agree. I would like a swiveling lcd, though

Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

Now i think i am going to put a bit of an odd slant on this

Now I have worked for years with.. how shall we say...with  big cameras. Using medium format in film days. Then Nikon SLRs. Now here is the odd thing !

Not so long ago, when the Pentax K5 came along I bought one as it looked ideal. What is strange is that for the first time in my life, I actually felt rather at odds. As if the camera was perhaps being judged. I believe it was perhaps because it was so small. Nobody ever said a word of course and I did a few weddings with it. Where it gets really strange... is when I bought the E1.... I tried that at a few weddings. What is really odd is that it did not bother me in the slightest !

Now even I am not sure why that would be.. But... I think it was because it was clear to anyone that it was not an SLR !  Simply that it was something different... Maybe partly the Leica look ? Somehow I doubt that. More a case of they had no idea but clearly something different, with a helping of well whatever it is, it must be good because he is using it whatever it is !

Right or wrong but this could stop me from using the XT1  I have got a strong feeling it would be even worse than the K5 for me. Right now.. I would choose an E2

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?

I would prefer X-T1 with EVF on left. Its not I'm for or against rangefinder style or SLR style, just not squashing nose on rear of camera is preferable.  According to comment on fujirumors Fuji would have stuck with rangefinder style if it was technically possible with the large EVF that was one of the main design drivers.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
flubby
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?

I agree with you. I am still leaning toward the X-E2. But now I wish it had a better EVF, even though it was perfectly fine a few weeks ago. But I won't make up my mind until I try them out side by side. If the X-T1 blows me away, then I'll go with it. Otherwise I will get the X-E2.
--
www.twitter.com/myfujiX100s

Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?

I guess I have a split personality.  I like both form factors.  I use the X-E2 as well as the Pentax K5 IIs and I am comfortable with both of them.

The XT1 offers a lot and I doubt that huge EVF could be shoe-horned into the XE2 body without a modification to the form factor.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?

I like my X-E1 but after 30 or so years with the SLR/DLSR format the change in format and handling has not come easy for this old codger.

I always pack the old S3 Pro in the car and sometimes use at the end of jobs. When I do two things happen...

1. I instantly feel more 'at home' with the big slow and heavy beast.

2. I end up always using shots taken with it (the out of cam IQ is truly extraordinary with the S3Pro - to my eyes maybe even fractionally better than the X-E1).

Both of the above experiences annoy the hell out of me. I just can't seem to let the S3Pro go completely and make the switch for some reason.

I don't know whether I am the only one finding it a little difficult making the complete switch from DSLR to X-E1 style. The X-T1 could be a good move for me the more I think about it. I like 16MP, don't want or need anymore.

My own testing of the X-E2 out of cam jpeg's at decent ISO did not impress me at all so I am a little hesitant about the X-T1 using the same sensor as the X-E2, but maybe they have improved things a little beyond the X-E2. Who knows.

I am very keen to see first user reports with the X-T1. Could be my next cam.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 6 months ago

I guess I don't get the idea that the X-E2 is more stealthy than the X-T1 or an SLR. It is the same size as a traditional SLR and uses lenses that are the exact same size or larger than every manual SLR lens of equivalent focal length since the 1970's.

The X-E2 doesn't look like a rangefinder. The X-Pro 1 does. But only because it has a window. The X-E2 looks more like a Pen SLR to me: both lack humps, neither has centred viewfinders, but the Pen, of course, is smaller still despite using a similar portion of film.

I always found the Pen series to be strange: off-centre viewfinder without window made the camera user stick out. A real rangefinder does and does not. It's not normal seeing a rangenfinder today just the same as it isn't seeing a Pen-style SLR.

SLR-designs blend into myriad other cameras and users out there. You don't see them.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 6 months ago

soon the viewfinder will be replaced by our google glasses and we'll just hold our tiny cameras wherever we want

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?

I just sold my DSLRs because after 30 years I was bored with the form.  The X-E2 is a nice change, I love the looks and the great IQ out of this little gem.  looking forward to the FW upgrades that will trickle down from Fuji's latest and greatest since the imaging hardware (not the EVF) is the same.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to shigzeo ?, 6 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

I guess I don't get the idea that the X-E2 is more stealthy than the X-T1 or an SLR. It is the same size as a traditional SLR and uses lenses that are the exact same size or larger than every manual SLR lens of equivalent focal length since the 1970's.

Walk into a concert where no photography with pro equipment is allowed and the XT1 will probably be stopped at the door..  The XE2 often just walks right in.  That's a different kind of stealth... concert security goons see a DSLR and think pro... they see something like the XE2 or X100 and think point and shoot.... no threat.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

Agreed.

The specs look great and the camera is very appealing on a feature basis.

Looking at it however, along with the optional battery grip, reminds me that that form factor is what I was moving away from in getting into the X cameras in the first place.

Small in size and low in weight.

All the years of DSLR history in me causes a yearning for the X-T1 but the rational side says, enough is enough - I have two X bodies too many right now.

To digress - it is thrilling to see a Fuji product capture a high spot in the DPReview "Most Popular Cameras" list.

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,833Gear list
Like?

Blue Jay wrote:

That is why they make two almost identical cameras. One for those who like X-T1 form and one for those who like X-E2 form.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 6 months ago

I prefer to go to a concert and enjoy the music, the last thing on my mind is snapping pictures, especially if I'm not sitting right next to the stage.  I don't blame those that take pictures at concerts or shows, just it's not for me.  Even worse are those who seem determined to video tao and entire concert on their iPhone.  I mean, really?  Are you ever going to watch it again?

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads