Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,453Gear list
Like?
Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public
9 months ago

When I got back from my Christmas holiday I started processing and posting the photos I took while I was gone. I received a lot of very helpful advice which caused me to reprocess numerous photos and rethink some of my "keepers".

Some of the photos that were not well received here I decided to share with family and friends etc. in my Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Slideshow (16 photos) anyway. In some cases you turned out to be right. However, the three photos shown below were very well received elsewhere in spite of the luke warm response they generated here.

The first two are slightly modified versions of my original post. The third I didn't change at all and it ended up as someone's desktop wallpaper at work.

In my continuing effort to learn, I wanted to generate some discussion on why and how photographers' taste in photos might be different from that of the general population.

I mean to address the issue generally and specifically with regard to the three photos below.

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.

This originally had a patch of snow in the foreground

This was originally 16x9

This I didn't change and a co-worked set it as their wallpaper

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,509Gear list
Like?
Re: Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 9 months ago

What was said specifically? Photographers tend to be more critical about technical stuff and ways of improving shots. They may be right, but that doesn't mean the shot is poor.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 940
Like?

To be honest I don't think friends and family count as the general population. They are generally more polite and will like your photos because it's you that took them rather than on the merits of the photo. Photographers may look at the technical aspects of a photo but a good photo is a good photo and will be appreciated by both the general public and photographer alike.

Like?
In reply to slimandy, 9 months ago

slimandy wrote:

What was said specifically?

I am not going to quote back any specific comments because I don't want to discourage anyone from giving me constructive criticism on my photos in the future. I very much appreciate any feedback I get on my photos both positive and negative. In the case of the first two photos it was the helpful advice I received that lead to the changes I made.

In general, though, the real feedback on these photos was mostly the deafening silence. In other words, no comments at all, or very few.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,745Gear list
Like?

I've often noticed that what wins challenges here is the most 'obvious' image not necessarily the best image.

Also that many posters on DPR overall are more into their gear than their art.

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 9 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

I've often noticed that what wins challenges here is the most 'obvious' image not necessarily the best image.

Also that many posters on DPR overall are more into their gear than their art.

I'll agree to that!

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, 9 months ago

Pic Man wrote:

To be honest I don't think friends and family count as the general population. They are generally more polite and will like your photos because it's you that took them rather than on the merits of the photo.

In my experience it is difficult to get them (family, friends, co-workers, etc.) to single out specific photos as particularly good. I often get comments like "They are all good. I couldn't pick a favorite." or "There are so many good ones." Therefore, when a particular photo is singled out, as these were, I pay more attention to it and try to figure out what I did right.

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?

I like the barn, this something I like to shoot, I love old building and always look for them when traveling. The first one was nice and subtle. The general public misses things in photos that people on DRP will see and offer an opinion.

Gary

Pueblo, CO

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
I like the first image a lot ! (nt)

rgds, Rob

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 940
Like?

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

To be honest I don't think friends and family count as the general population. They are generally more polite and will like your photos because it's you that took them rather than on the merits of the photo.

In my experience it is difficult to get them (family, friends, co-workers, etc.) to single out specific photos as particularly good. I often get comments like "They are all good. I couldn't pick a favorite." or "There are so many good ones." Therefore, when a particular photo is singled out, as these were, I pay more attention to it and try to figure out what I did right.

Perhaps photographers will generally look at more photos and will be tougher to please but I'm not so sure. Personally I don't think it matters to much what others think as long as you're pleased with it unless of course you're trying to sell your pictures. Pleasing others is secondary but usually if i'm pleased with a photo others are also, just maybe not to the same extent :-D.

I like your last shot. Nicely composed.

Like?
In reply to Pic Man, 9 months ago

Pic Man wrote:

Personally I don't think it matters to much what others think as long as you're pleased with it unless of course you're trying to sell your pictures. Pleasing others is secondary but usually if i'm pleased with a photo others are also, just maybe not to the same extent :-D.

Thanks very much for sharing your opinion. I feel very differently, in this regard.

If I'm not pleasing others, I'm not pleasing myself. I view photography as a way to provide pleasure to others.

This is what continues to drive me to become better at this craft which I only fairly recently started taking seriously.

I have not yet learned enough to give any serious thought to selling my photos.

I like your last shot. Nicely composed.

Thanks.

Like?
Re: I like the first image a lot ! (nt)
In reply to Banger, 9 months ago

Banger wrote:

rgds, Rob

KTClown wrote:

I like the barn

Thanks guys. It really helps me a lot to find out which ones more people like.

Like?
In reply to MPA1, 9 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

Can you elaborate please? What do you mean by "obvious" vs "best"?

maoyama
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

I noticed that when taking "people" photos, the general public is overall much less concerned with sharpness and maybe even exposure/lighting than simply capturing a special moment. For example, when my friend was saying her wedding vow and messed up, and everyone including the bride/groom bursted into laughter, I caught that moment. But because I had a lower shutter speed than I should have, it was slightly blurry even without having to pixel peep. I personally wasn't very pleased with it, but put it up on my social networking site with all the other photos that were much sharper, and to me, had the classic wedding-feel.

People like the one with the laughter more than any of the other photos by a good margin, despite the blur.

And on the other hand, if you are doing a photoshoot for a family of four, and the baby is starting to get grumpy/sleepy and stops paying attention to you, no matter how sharp the photo is, no matter how well it is composed/exposed, no matter how great the rest of her family looks, if her expression isn't there, then your client won't be very happy with the picture. (although they are usually very understanding that there's only so much you can do with the baby who is ready to go home.)

That's just been my experience.

windriver
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
My opinion
In reply to maoyama, 9 months ago

I don't care for the first photo.  To me, it doesn't "say" anything.  I have trouble finding a central point of interest in it.

The second photo is nice - good light and interesting aspect ratio.

The third photo is really good.  I would consider cropping the right tree trunk out to draw more interest to the barn; I think that would make a nice print.

1eyedjack
Contributing MemberPosts: 992Gear list
Like?
Re: My opinion
In reply to windriver, 9 months ago

I agree with  Windriver..

1eyedjack's gear list:1eyedjack's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony SLT-A35
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,509Gear list
Like?

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

slimandy wrote:

What was said specifically?

I am not going to quote back any specific comments because I don't want to discourage anyone from giving me constructive criticism on my photos in the future. I very much appreciate any feedback I get on my photos both positive and negative. In the case of the first two photos it was the helpful advice I received that lead to the changes I made.

In general, though, the real feedback on these photos was mostly the deafening silence. In other words, no comments at all, or very few.

Where did you ask for feedback? Was it on DPReview? This isn't really a feedback website, it is a gear website.

You might be interested in Photosig which is the opposite - a critique website, not gear.

http://www.photosig.com

Be prepared for honest feedback though, not necesarily what you get from family and friends.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
artistguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?

This is a gear forum, you're bound to get views based on technical understanding (or lack of it), try them in the Landscapes forum where you'll also get views on technique, composition etc, but you'll also get the apreciation of them as art measured against similar images.

Dancebert
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

slimandy wrote:

You might be interested in Photosig which is the opposite - a critique website, not gear.

http://www.photosig.com

Be prepared for honest feedback though, not necesarily what you get from family and friends.

Photosig has been down for about 2 weeks.  https://www.google.co.th/#q=photosig+down+2014

Given the declining traffic over the 2 years I've used it, and the reported long decline since it's heyday, it wouldn't surprise me if the site is dead and gone.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you're carrying.

Dancebert's gear list:Dancebert's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Like?

slimandy wrote:

Where did you ask for feedback? Was it on DPReview?

Yes.

This isn't really a feedback website, it is a gear website.

I have received a great deal of helpful feedback here and have learned from the feedback that many others have received.

You might be interested in Photosig

I may check it out but I have gotten to know a lot of people here.

That is always what I want. I won't be able to improve if I am not made aware of my shortcomings.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads