I wish it is possible...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: I wish it is possible...
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 9 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

so lets celebrate diversity instead of killing the camera company that dares not to travel in lock-step with the market.

I agree, but we also need improved functionality along with diversity.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trevor G
Like?
Re: Well well....
In reply to Aaro, 9 months ago

Aaro wrote:

HBowman wrote:

It is not doable as you say it

-- hide signature --

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.4-7055923565.8.TFzxZQ&id=16897677837

Best

Aaro

Neat!

Looks like they do a great job at a reasonable price.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, 9 months ago

But is it really better than the default lens?

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Quattro
Aaro
Senior MemberPosts: 2,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lord metroid, 9 months ago

Lord metroid wrote:

But is it really better than the default lens?

It makes DPxx series bayonet camera, with a mount to your choice. Also it  is in many cases not a question better, but rather other merits like bokeh, color, contrast, availability, vignetting .. etc of the lenses.

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication'.
http://www.lumisoft.fi/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_IMG03387%7E0.jpg
www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Aaro's gear list:Aaro's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Merrill
Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaro, 9 months ago

I wonder how well the camera will perform with the 50mm Noctilux lens.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Quattro
Aaro
Senior MemberPosts: 2,718Gear list
Like?
Images

Lord metroid wrote:

I wonder how well the camera will perform with the 50mm Noctilux lens.

There are several galleries that show different lenses connected. Also some images taken? with modified camera?

Site:

Site:

M42  mount.

But my sguare linguist is -something martian!

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication'.
http://www.lumisoft.fi/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_IMG03387%7E0.jpg
www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Aaro's gear list:Aaro's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Merrill
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?

Richard Franiec wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

<...>

In other-words you are spreading rumors based on "your logic"?

They are not rumors, they are just what I am sure will happen. Rumor implies some possible connection with the source. My predictions are based on logic only.

I'm glad to see that King Solomon is still alive. Reminds me of the bait shop owner who responded to my buddy's question: "What depth the fish are biting today?" with: "Start deep, if the fish is not there, move to shallows."

The wisdom in your anecdote is obvious, my wisdom apparently less so since some seem dubious of it.

All I am saying, is that all factors combined it seems really, really really likely the next camera from Sigma is a revised SD-1 that will include Live View. It seems so obvious I don't see how you can twist logic or reality to produce any other result. It doesn't take any kind of special knowledge to reach that result, yet some ever so resistant to the startling clarity of this obvious next step.

<...>

Well, let me congratulate you again.

Thanks! Your acknowledgment of my inherent wisdom is really thanks enough though. Next time you can just take that into account early on and save both of us a lot of writing. I have better things to do.

I'm not sure what provoked you to respond to my thread from the get go. You can save yourself (and me) a lot of writing by doing what you have in mind: better things, whatever they are. Is "ignore button" still working?

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, 9 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

to put Foveon sensor in something like that:

Your thoughts?

I think it's already in something like that, but it could use Live View and much more processing power with greater buffering.  For a start...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 9 months ago

Roland Karlsson wrote:

...snip...

Agree. I would probably buy a mirrorless camera with a Merrill sensor. One requirement would be though that it had an adapter for Pentax lenses.

So, in other words, you will never buy a Sigma camera 'cos the only camera that will ever have a Merrill sensor will be a Sigma -- and they will never provide a Pentax adapter.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,898Gear list
Like?

Roland Karlsson wrote:
It takes a very negative mind indeed to find that a great lens maker paired with an excellent sensor is a "problem".

Where did I write that?

I sense a straw man.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, 9 months ago

Trevor G wrote:

I mean, I can use a Canon 17mm T/S lens on the SD/1 if I put my mind to it. I can use older PK lenses which exist in a vast assortment.

Can you really fit a Pentax lens to a Sigma SA mount?

Yes you can.

Three problems though

1. You lose at the nearest focus distance as the SA mount has larger registration distance.
  2. It is not a 100% perfect fit. It is a little lose.
  3. You have to remove the aperture lever. This involves cutting away the lever protection and disassemble the lens to remove the actual lever, or cut that away also.
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802
Like?

Lord metroid wrote:

I like the minimalist interface of the DP cameras. Everything I need is easily accessible without any superfluous or cumbersome design.

Tracking though menu's to change settings isn't cumbersome?

Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: Not the market

richard stone wrote:

<...>

The problem for Sigma is that it has to leapfrog current technology a bit because it produces cameras infrequently, and thus its offerings sometimes appear, in a short while, as if they have fallen behind, even if they continue to work quite well. The market demands new.

The "market" does not demand new. A handful of people do, amplified by the internet...

The Market buys or does not buy, and often continues to buy totally independent of what people claim a company "must" do with this or that product.

I assume you understood what he meant, even if you pretend not to.

When you have a new technology with a nearly unknown camera maker brand, then you do have to have something extra to draw attention. Good enough is then not good enough.

Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to SigmaChrome, 9 months ago

SigmaChrome wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

...snip...

Agree. I would probably buy a mirrorless camera with a Merrill sensor. One requirement would be though that it had an adapter for Pentax lenses.

So, in other words, you will never buy a Sigma camera 'cos the only camera that will ever have a Merrill sensor will be a Sigma -- and they will never provide a Pentax adapter.

I did not say that.

I was just talking about a mirror less camera. And currently I would not buy any mirror less camera if it did not have a good Pentax K adapter.

But maybe I would consider a Merrill sensor based mirror less if it only had a Canon or Nikon adapter.

Building a camera system upon SA mount would be quite painful also.

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 8 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

<...>

In other-words you are spreading rumors based on "your logic"?

They are not rumors, they are just what I am sure will happen. Rumor implies some possible connection with the source. My predictions are based on logic only.

I'm glad to see that King Solomon is still alive. Reminds me of the bait shop owner who responded to my buddy's question: "What depth the fish are biting today?" with: "Start deep, if the fish is not there, move to shallows."

The wisdom in your anecdote is obvious, my wisdom apparently less so since some seem dubious of it.

All I am saying, is that all factors combined it seems really, really really likely the next camera from Sigma is a revised SD-1 that will include Live View. It seems so obvious I don't see how you can twist logic or reality to produce any other result. It doesn't take any kind of special knowledge to reach that result, yet some ever so resistant to the startling clarity of this obvious next step.

So much for your wisdom, logic and startling clarity of your prediction LOL:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/10/sigma-unveils-radical-dp2-quattro-with-re-thought-19-6mp-foveon-sensor?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

<...>

Well, let me congratulate you again.

Thanks! Your acknowledgment of my inherent wisdom is really thanks enough though. Next time you can just take that into account early on and save both of us a lot of writing. I have better things to do.

No need to respond to this post. Save yourself some time to do some better things whatever they are.

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,801
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, 8 months ago

LOL

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads