I wish it is possible...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,302Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly my thoughts
In reply to rick decker, 11 months ago

rick decker wrote:

Unfortunately it takes money to implement ones visions and aspirations. We will learn more about Sigma and their new leader from the next camera which will be all his. He knows what he needs. At a minimum I would expect live view, faster processing, better battery life and better AF. I would not expect video (asking too much given live view is {most likely} a higher priority), nor bigger buffer. I would not expect much difference in ISO performance. A lot of time and effort in this has been expended both by Sigma and Foveon and results have been so-so. These things have been hammered home time and again.

Thanks for refreshing perspective, Rick,

My post was not intended to stir the pot. I can easily visualize priorities at Sigma, I think that what they do with recent lenses is a wonderful success story. Hopefully, their cameras development will fit the same philosophy when the time come.

Richard

R

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Franiec
Like?
Re: I wish it is possible...
In reply to richard stone, 11 months ago

richard stone wrote:

The Fuji does look like a sexy camera. My recollection when I handled a recent Fuji was that it felt very dense and businesslike.

But I sometimes come to think it is amazing that Sigma makes cameras at all. And not only that, but good ones, although a "niche" product because all they do is make really good images.

The problem for Sigma is that it has to leapfrog current technology a bit because it produces cameras infrequently, and thus its offerings sometimes appear, in a short while, as if they have fallen behind, even if they continue to work quite well. The market demands new.

Richard

-- hide signature --

I'm glad for Sigma that they carved their niche. All the early struggles finally pays in good press for DPM series in the eyes of experts and enthusiasts alike.

Maybe Sigma cannot afford yet to do the technological leapfrog on their own, most likely the cameras are not at the top of their priorities for understandable reasons.

Mirrorless camera development sets clear standards for what is achievable. Looking and adopting accordingly could not be a bad thing for the long run for Sigma since their sensor + lens combos sets them apart from the rest already. If they, of course, are interested in making cameras which would appeal to broad audience.

RF

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Richard Franiec
Like?
In reply to hexxthalion, 11 months ago

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Richard

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, 11 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

to put Foveon sensor in something like that:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/28/fujifilm-x-t1-first-impressions-review?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Your thoughts?

Agree. I would probably buy a mirrorless camera with a Merrill sensor. One requirement would be though that it had an adapter for Pentax lenses.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 11 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I don't see much difference between that and a newer SD1 with live view.

But I do. It has the advantage of shorter mount registration. So ... you can use almost any lens on it, with an adapter.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
LasseS
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 11 months ago

I don't think Sigma as a lens maker se that

LasseS's gear list:LasseS's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to LasseS, 11 months ago

LasseS wrote:

Of course they dont. And that is one of their problems.

It is always difficult to make something else, that is related.

But, I did answer to Kendall, and he said that the SD1 just needed LiveView to be equal.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,645Gear list
Like?

Richard Franiec wrote:

<...>

In other-words you are spreading rumors based on "your logic"?

They are not rumors, they are just what I am sure will happen. Rumor implies some possible connection with the source. My predictions are based on logic only.

Wishing implies something is out of reach, not likely.

Quite contrary. At least when the bond between consumer and manufacturer is formed. I hope that you don't imply that Sigma's philosophy is limited to your view of the reality. I really do.

Reality is constrained to reality.

Reality is what is happening around us. Just take a look outside your Sigma bubble.

It's amusing to be chided on reality by someone talking about wishes and dreams.

I am everywhere, I see everything. I also think about what I see, and that makes all the difference.  Sigma is but one small facet of the Larger Picture, which I continue to offer observations upon.  Or perhaps you missed my many, many posts on the entirety of the camera marker in relation to smartphones.

I am just a good observer of it and draw conclusions that make sense.

Right. Congratulations on your discovery.

Thanks, it's what I do best.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Like?
Not the market
In reply to richard stone, 11 months ago

richard stone wrote:

<...>

The problem for Sigma is that it has to leapfrog current technology a bit because it produces cameras infrequently, and thus its offerings sometimes appear, in a short while, as if they have fallen behind, even if they continue to work quite well. The market demands new.

The "market" does not demand new.  A handful of people do, amplified by the internet...

The Market buys or does not buy, and often continues to buy totally independent of what people claim a company "must" do with this or that product.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Richard Franiec
Like?

Richard Franiec wrote:

<...>

They are not rumors, they are just what I am sure will happen. Rumor implies some possible connection with the source. My predictions are based on logic only.

I'm glad to see that King Solomon is still alive. Reminds me of the bait shop owner who responded to my buddy's question: "What depth the fish are biting today?" with: "Start deep, if the fish is not there, move to shallows."

Wishing implies something is out of reach, not likely.

Quite contrary. At least when the bond between consumer and manufacturer is formed. I hope that you don't imply that Sigma's philosophy is limited to your view of the reality. I really do.

Reality is constrained to reality.

Reality is what is happening around us. Just take a look outside your Sigma bubble.

It's amusing to be chided on reality by someone talking about wishes and dreams.

I am everywhere, I see everything. I also think about what I see, and that makes all the difference. Sigma is but one small facet of the Larger Picture, which I continue to offer observations upon. Or perhaps you missed my many, many posts on the entirety of the camera marker in relation to smartphones.

Now I can sleep better.

I am just a good observer of it and draw conclusions that make sense.

Right. Congratulations on your discovery.

Thanks, it's what I do best.

Well, let me congratulate you again.

Like?

Richard Franiec wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

<...>

I'm glad to see that King Solomon is still alive. Reminds me of the bait shop owner who responded to my buddy's question: "What depth the fish are biting today?" with: "Start deep, if the fish is not there, move to shallows."

The wisdom in your anecdote is obvious, my wisdom apparently less so since some seem dubious of it.

All I am saying, is that all factors combined it seems really, really really likely the next camera from Sigma is a revised SD-1 that will include Live View.  It seems so obvious I don't see how you can twist logic or reality to produce any other result.  It doesn't take any kind of special knowledge to reach that result, yet some ever so resistant to the startling clarity of this obvious next step.

<...>

Well, let me congratulate you again.

Thanks!  Your acknowledgment of my inherent wisdom is really thanks enough though.  Next time you can just take that into account early on and save both of us a lot of writing.  I have better things to do.

Like?

Roland Karlsson wrote:

I don't see much difference between that and a newer SD1 with live view.

But I do. It has the advantage of shorter mount registration. So ... you can use almost any lens on it, with an adapter.

But I can use NEARLY any lens on the SD-1 also.  The very small wider range I would get with the shorter registration would matter very little even if I were seriously into alternate lenses instead of dabbling.

I mean, I can use a Canon 17mm T/S lens on the SD/1 if I put my mind to it.  I can use older PK lenses which exist in a vast assortment.  Expanding the range of third-party lenses helps very few people, especially compared to making the cameras as they are better.  I think more people would find that useful than being able to fit a slightly different 54.6mm Russian lens of dubious origin on the camera.

Like?

Roland Karlsson wrote:

LasseS wrote:

Of course they dont. And that is one of their problems.

It takes a very negative mind indeed to find that a great lens maker paired with an excellent sensor is a "problem".

It's the reason the DP cameras exist at all, at the level of output quality that they have.  You can buy scads of ILC cameras already, so lets celebrate diversity instead of killing the camera company that dares not to travel in lock-step with the market.

Aaro
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?
Modify DPxM for Asahi Pentax mount.

Hello Roland.

1. Remove the DPxx lens.

2 Attach an Asahi Pentax mount, either M42 or M. (ie. with glue etc).

- remember to adjust for the distance.

3. Put the lens on.

Start shooooting;-)

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication'.
http://www.lumisoft.fi/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_IMG03387%7E0.jpg
www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Aaro's gear list:Aaro's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Merrill
SigmaTog
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
Re: Modify DPxM for Asahi Pentax mount.
In reply to Aaro, 11 months ago

Aaro wrote:

Hello Roland.

1. Remove the DPxx lens.

3. Put the lens on.

Start shooooting;-)

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Where does the shutter & aperture come in ?

OR does 'wishing' make it possible too ??

Tog

Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?

I like the minimalist interface of the DP cameras. Everything I need is easily accessible without any superfluous or cumbersome design.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Quattro
Aaro
Like?
In reply to SigmaTog, 11 months ago

SigmaTog wrote:

Aaro wrote:

Hello Roland.

1. Remove the DPxx lens.

3. Put the lens on.

Start shooooting;-)

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Where does the shutter & aperture come in ?

OR does 'wishing' make it possible too ??

Tog

I said remove the lens. One probable have to leave some essential things connected at least electrically. Leaving the shutter possibly.(or do we really need it)

-DP camera have live a view.

In manual lenses there is as such manual aperture .

It is not wishing but doable.

Might actually do it just for fun;-)

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

HBowman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
In reply to Aaro, 11 months ago

It is not doable as you say it

-- hide signature --
Aaro
Like?
Well well....
In reply to HBowman, 11 months ago

HBowman wrote:

It is not doable as you say it

-- hide signature --

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.4-7055923565.8.TFzxZQ&id=16897677837

Best

Aaro

-- hide signature --

www.lumisoft.fi/gallery

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?

I mean, I can use a Canon 17mm T/S lens on the SD/1 if I put my mind to it.  I can use older PK lenses which exist in a vast assortment.

Can you really fit a Pentax lens to a Sigma SA mount?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads