if you had a digital camera with flawless clarity /detail/dynamic range would you be happy ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
TRIODEROB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
if you had a digital camera with flawless clarity /detail/dynamic range would you be happy ?
11 months ago

lets say they came out with a camera that had perfect clarity and dynamic range

and unlimited detail - would you be happy.

or let me reword this - you know how these above elements are getting better with time

lets fast forward this and imagine what could be produced 450 years from now.

is that what you want ?

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,386Gear list
Like?
Re: if you had a digital camera with flawless clarity /detail/dynamic range would you be happy ?
In reply to TRIODEROB, 11 months ago

We already have two, or close enough.  Dynamic range is always subject to what you can display it on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
krmuir
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: if you had a digital camera with flawless clarity /detail/dynamic range would you be happy ?

TRIODEROB wrote:

I would certainly be happy with the camera, providing I could afford it I wonder how easy it would be to view that perfect dynamic range with today's technology

JamesCraig
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

Of course, until the new improved model came out 

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity." George Bernard Shaw.

salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?

Strange question.

Of course I'd be happy, as would any sane photographer.

But I am also happy now, as I was happy in 1999 and 2003 and 2007 and 2009 and 2012 and 2013 when I made upgrades to all my cameras; and not all those were due to IQ reasons.

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?

TRIODEROB wrote:

or let me reword this - you know how these above elements are getting better with time

is that what you want ?

The ones who would be happy, are already happy with what they have now.

The ones you see on here complaining daily would not.

A better camera will never cure laziness, inability or pessimism.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,802Gear list
Like?

TRIODEROB wrote:

is that what you want ?

That depends. Does it have a mirror?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Beachcomber Joe
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

Since the equipment I have now allows me to make pleasing, marketable images,I'll wait for the Mk II version.

donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680
Like?

I would add one thing - an option to prevent people from posting really stupid posts on WEB sites.  Yours might take the prize - that is until a new prize winner came along.

Is there any point at all to your post?

-- hide signature --

Don

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

TRIODEROB wrote:

is that what you want ?

As opposed to...?

Your comment reminds me of that joke about God making a boulder not even He could lift -- in that it superficially appears to make sense, right until you try to parse it beyond the most basics of grammar. Because surely no one with half a mind would ask whether one would be happy with the dynamic range of a camera with perfect dynamic range, or whether one would be content with the detail retention of a camera with "unlimited" detail, were such a thing allowed by the laws of Physics.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
TRIODEROB
Like?
In reply to donaldsc, 11 months ago

donaldsc wrote:

I would add one thing - an option to prevent people from posting really stupid posts on WEB sites. Yours might take the prize - that is until a new prize winner came along.

Is there any point at all to your post?

-- hide signature --

Don

bite me

your not even smart enough to understand the point of the post

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,254Gear list
Like?

I want a camera that can 3D print little dioramas in perfect 1:87 HO gauge. Imagine the model train sets we could have.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Super16mman
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to Draek, 11 months ago

Draek wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

is that what you want ?

As opposed to...?

Your comment reminds me of that joke about God making a boulder not even He could lift -- in that it superficially appears to make sense, right until you try to parse it beyond the most basics of grammar. Because surely no one with half a mind would ask whether one would be happy with the dynamic range of a camera with perfect dynamic range, or whether one would be content with the detail retention of a camera with "unlimited" detail, were such a thing allowed by the laws of Physics.

I think what he's saying is those three things don't make photography what it is. Photography is subject matter, composition, lighting, texture, color etc. and sometimes our pursuit of technological excellence makes us forget those things. I think you can already see people rebelling against high-end digital photography through the lo-fi digital and film movements, although high-end camera and camera technologies are and will always be extremely important.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Super16mman, 11 months ago

Super16mman wrote:

Draek wrote:

As opposed to...?

Your comment reminds me of.....(snip)

I think what he's saying is those three things don't make photography what it is. Photography is subject matter, composition, lighting, texture, color etc. and sometimes our pursuit of technological excellence makes us forget those things. I think you can already see people rebelling against high-end digital photography through the lo-fi digital and film movements, although high-end camera and camera technologies are and will always be extremely important.

I think people forget there was a time when film was the new technology. Then digital. It just happens to be something else every so often. Don't forget though, without the people who insist we move forward, nobody would have any of this. If we were all fine with what we already have, we would still be using chalk on cave walls.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
socode
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?

TRIODEROB wrote:

Sure - if you give me an exclusive on it for 5-10 years.

MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?

Depends how it handles.

I'd of course love to have a camera with such image qualities, but 97% of the time, I'm not dissatisfied with the images my camera is capable of now.

I'd want the new camera to handle at least as well as the camera I have now and be almost no bigger as I travel a lot with it. If it didn't meet those requirements, I imagine would be less happy than I am now even with the improvement in image quality. I'd probably love the images though, esp. landscapes and tight crops of distant animals.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,548Gear list
Like?

Don´t have real use for it. 20+Mpx FF DSLR would be enaugh. Don´t want more sensor performance. I have different needs (for different aspects of cam).

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,372
Like?

TRIODEROB wrote:

is that what you want ?

No, because it won't accept my existing lenses.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,551Gear list
Like?
Not unless it created world peace (nt)

Keine Worte

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
TRIODEROB
Like?
In reply to Super16mman, 11 months ago

Super16mman wrote:

Draek wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

is that what you want ?

As opposed to...?

Bingo-

I was looking at the newest high rez camera over the weekend - such as the D880E.

I was thinking about what a great camera it is - then it dawned on me that the photos I like the most are not the ultra clear pristine perfect ones but the moody atmospheric dream like images. so what would the 800E really get me ?

just like the most perfect lens that could ever be produced might not really give you the look you want

maybe ultra fast focus is the most important thing...................

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads