X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
dbelling
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?
In reply to perry rhodan, 9 months ago

One item that I do not believe has been mentioned is that the EM1 has EVF auto luminance, and as far as I can tell the X-T1 does not. This setting may not be that important to a lot of people, but it is vital to me. I have a very serious eye problem and I thought that I may have to give up photography until I discovered that the EM1 and the Stylus 1 (and I am hopeful that the EM100 as well) has auto luminance. EVF's were always too dark when I was outside in sunlight. When I ventured outside with my Sony a65 ( which supposedly has an excellent EVF) I could only see vague dark images. On the other hand, when I took a Stylus 1 outside I was shocked at how bright everything was, and the EM1 is supposed to be much better. EVF auto luminance has allowed me to get back into photography, so I doubt that I will buy another camera without it. That alone excludes the XT-1 for me, although I am sure that it is a very good camera in other repeats.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,972Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless Cred

This new Fuji is of the same ilk as the E-M1.  More similarities than differences. Hold both in your hands and get the one that pleases you and fits the lenses you want. Be happy you can afford and enjoy a cutting edge camera, but know that in 12 months something else just as sexy will come out to fawn over.

They are both pretty expensive, but the dev. cycle is fast, so I'm looking forward to their replacements to drive down prices. And for me, the E-M1 fits my 4/3rds lenses.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?
Re: size/weight is what counts with m4/3
In reply to Red G8R, 9 months ago

Red G8R wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am always rather surprised that there are people who can't see what is the main, defining quality of m4/3: size/weight of the system (bodies & lenses). The Fuji (or Sony A7 or whatever) seems to be really cool and I can certainly see the attraction. If you don't care about size/weight then why even consider m4/3? Get a FF or APS-C system with larger lenses and don't feel bad that you didn't get m4/3. With m4/3 you get smaller size, lighter weight, quite a good selection of lenses and bodies, and results that are quite good. No one said m4/3 is going to save you money or be better than something else. I repeat:

Henry Richardson

http://www.bakubo.com

I disagree with Henry. Many people who do not care about the difference in size/weight between M43 and APS-C will care about these other reasons for choosing M43:

- really effective IBIS

- really good video

- an excellent lens line-up

- an excellent selection of bodies to choose from for backup, different applications, or whatever (from a tiny GM1,various body shapes, to cameras with top specs, video performance)

- and until now, the best EVF, and weatherproofing.

No, it is not only about size/weight.

I guess you haven't seen this.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-t1/images/sbs-e-m1.jpg

sorry I couldn't insert the image directly.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Here, I have inserted the image for you, but I disagree with what you are trying to show with your size comparison image. The size comparison is not right. The Olympus lens is a weatherproof 24-80mm lens with constant f/2.8 max aperture. The Fuji lens is just 28-83mm f/2.8-4, a huge difference. The difference in size and weight will be mainly in the lenses, particularly for more special lenses, like wider, longer, faster, and other higher spec'ed lenses. Sony has already proven clearly that with its NEX cameras, you can make APS-C cameras very small, but any APS-C lens with enough quality and specs will be big if it has the same specs as an equivalent M43 lens. You end up with either ordinary APS-C lenses or big lenses. You can't cheat physics.

This E-M1 is designed, among those things, to also allow use of the big 43 lenses and is therefore bigger.  I am sure the same specs can be implemented in a smaller camera if Olympus cares, but then it starts to become less ideal for many photographers with normal size hands and who care about easy to use controls and ergonomics more than just size, especially for a PRO level camera.  So, I won't get too stressed about the size of the camera body.  Think about the size and weight for a few good lenses that you want to carry with you.

al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
Way better, right now, than the A7

Fuji ought to have a big hit here.  It pushes most of the right buttons with its specs.  It looks like a fine piece of industrial design, unlike the ungainly E-M1.  And most importantly, there's already a decent stable of glass to go along with the new camera body.  Unless Fuji's also upgraded their autofocus, the E-M1 ought to still win that match, but the low light sensitivity of the Fuji is a serious advantage there.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd go with the Fuji unless the camera/lens size/weight was a major issue for me (which it is in my case).  Just my 2 cents.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,100
Like?
Re: X-T1 is half the camera the EP1 was, years ago

perry rhodan wrote:

What do you think of the new X-Fuji? Looks very tempting to me. Was getting ready to buy the EM1 kit, now still waiting for the final specs and test of this new X-trans miracle. Missing any TTLW-flash is not good, EVF and IQ and AF look superb.

And: no I'm not trying to troll here. Have some nice MFT's from Oly already.

Kind regards Perry

The rest of the world is just catching up to the first mFT.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,506Gear list
Like?
Re: So many dials, what for?
In reply to ThePalindrome, 9 months ago

ThePalindrome wrote:

I don't understand the reason for the three top dials on this camera. It has a front and rear dial and aperture on the lens. This let's the user change all the variables already. What the reason for shutter and ISO dials on top, where it is much harder to reach them?

Useful for Old Farts, like me, who use to have film cameras with dials, not drill down menus like on many digital cameras.

Also, much easier to set exposure, and exposure comp when shooting with winter gloves on.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Sergey Borachev
Like?
Re: Way better, right now, than the A7
In reply to al_in_philly, 9 months ago

al_in_philly wrote:

Fuji ought to have a big hit here. It pushes most of the right buttons with its specs. It looks like a fine piece of industrial design, unlike the ungainly E-M1. And most importantly, there's already a decent stable of glass to go along with the new camera body. Unless Fuji's also upgraded their autofocus, the E-M1 ought to still win that match, but the low light sensitivity of the Fuji is a serious advantage there.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd go with the Fuji unless the camera/lens size/weight was a major issue for me (which it is in my case). Just my 2 cents.

If you do not need to use more special lenses like a constant f/2.8 zoom starting from 24mm equivalent FL, or a f/0.95 lens, or if you do not need to shoot handheld in darker places, then the smaller and lighter M43 lenses and IBIS would not then make much difference to you, and Fuji XT would be fine for you. I think many people will choose Fuji too, for the higher IQ, especially landscape or still life photographers who use tripods and/or flashes a lot.

sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?

It would have my attention IF it had IBIS, 1/8000, autofocus cross type sensors and the super telephoto was available sooner than 2015 - see here:-

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl
Hobbes: You're ignorant, but at least you act on it.”
Bill Watterson, The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
In reply to sinkas, 9 months ago

sinkas wrote:

It would have my attention IF it had IBIS, 1/8000, autofocus cross type sensors and the super telephoto was available sooner than 2015 - see here:-

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

Sorry image didn't post - here is link http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
dbelling
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 9 months ago

+1  I could not have said it better.

AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to Shirozina, 9 months ago

Shirozina wrote:

perry rhodan wrote:

Game over for M43 I think esp if it doesn't have shutter shock problems. Proper retro camera with dials a plenty to play with and looks like it means business. Game over Olympus and Panasonic, game over...........

Come on, I'm a Fuji shooter and there is plenty to like about the M43 system. Every time a good camera comes out it pushes other companies to do better, which is good for all of us.

dbelling
Like?
In reply to sinkas, 9 months ago

The super telephoto that you mention looks like it has a tripod mount, which probably means that it is quite large and heavy. No thanks. I went with M4/3 to get away from that.

caver3d
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shirozina, 9 months ago

Shirozina wrote:

perry rhodan wrote:

What do you think of the new X-Fuji? Looks very tempting to me. Was getting ready to buy the EM1 kit, now still waiting for the final specs and test of this new X-trans miracle. Missing any TTLW-flash is not good, EVF and IQ and AF look superb.

And: no I'm not trying to troll here. Have some nice MFT's from Oly already.

Kind regards Perry

Game over for M43 I think esp if it doesn't have shutter shock problems. Proper retro camera with dials a plenty to play with and looks like it means business. Game over Olympus and Panasonic, game over...........

Just another mindless comment.  You trolls said the same thing about Oly when the Sony A7 arrived, and look what happened.   Nothing.  The Game goes on.  You lose.

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 A3000 Olympus E-M1 +3 more
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623
Like?
How good is the WR sealing
In reply to al_in_philly, 9 months ago

Noticed the reference to the flimsy ports cover which would be a major issue for serious all weather use. - that and rather limited WR lens selection ...

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Re: I think this Fuji is a GREAT camera.

And good looking too.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?

IBIS, shutter speed and touch screen of the EM-1 are reasons for me to give the nod to the Oly. Especially the touch screen I would not want to miss anymore, it`s the fastest way to move the focus point imo.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Leica M9 +1 more
bahamot
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?

Looks good but I take m4/3 lens collection over it. Especially the coming nocticron and PL 15mm/f1.7

-- hide signature --
 bahamot's gear list:bahamot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +10 more
CatsAreFineArt
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 9 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am always rather surprised that there are people who can't see what is the main, defining quality of m4/3: size/weight of the system (bodies & lenses). The Fuji (or Sony A7 or whatever) seems to be really cool and I can certainly see the attraction. If you don't care about size/weight then why even consider m4/3? Get a FF or APS-C system with larger lenses and don't feel bad that you didn't get m4/3. With m4/3 you get smaller size, lighter weight, quite a good selection of lenses and bodies, and results that are quite good. No one said m4/3 is going to save you money or be better than something else. I repeat:

IF YOU DON'T VALUE SIZE/WEIGHT THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY BE HAPPIER WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Well, that's just the thing. I shoot primarily 50mm and 90mm macro. For those lens options Fuji's size and weight compares favorably. Sometimes I shoot tele zoom. The 55-200mm is bigger than the Panasonic 35-100mm, but not by a lot, and it's not much slower either, especially when you take the dof equivalency and superior ISO performance into account. Wide angle is a different story, but I don't go wider than 28mm.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to CatsAreFineArt, 9 months ago

CatsAreFineArt wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

IF YOU DON'T VALUE SIZE/WEIGHT THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY BE HAPPIER WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Well, that's just the thing. I shoot primarily 50mm and 90mm macro. For those lens options Fuji's size and weight compares favorably. Sometimes I shoot tele zoom. The 55-200mm is bigger than the Panasonic 35-100mm, but not by a lot, and it's not much slower either, especially when you take the dof equivalency and superior ISO performance into account. Wide angle is a different story, but I don't go wider than 28mm.

Your first post!

What are you talking about???

Fuji does not seem to have any 50mm or 90mm macro lens. The Fuji 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 is not weatherproof, not a constant f/2.8 lens, and does not have the same zoom range as the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8. It is slower in AF, bigger and, more significantly, a lot heavier at 580g vs 360g for the Panasonic lens.  If you stick to a few primes with the most common focal lengths and speeds, and do not need weatherproofing, then the Fuji system will not be much bigger or heavier.

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,564Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 9 months ago

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Here, I have inserted the image for you, but I disagree with what you are trying to show with your size comparison image. The size comparison is not right. The Olympus lens is a weatherproof 24-80mm lens with constant f/2.8 max aperture. The Fuji lens is just 28-83mm f/2.8-4, a huge difference.

Actually the Olympus is a 12~40mm f2.8 and the Fuji is an 18~55mm f2.8~4.

If you want to compare equivalents the Olympus is a 24~80mm f5.6 and the Fuji is 27~83mm f4~5.6

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads