X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,570Gear list
Like?
It does.
In reply to perry rhodan, 8 months ago

But I have an interesting kit already, and I'm pleased with it.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: So many dials, what for?
In reply to ThePalindrome, 8 months ago

ThePalindrome wrote:

I don't understand the reason for the three top dials on this camera. It has a front and rear dial and aperture on the lens. This let's the user change all the variables already. What the reason for shutter and ISO dials on top, where it is much harder to reach them?

I have a X100 and the shutter speed dial is on top as well. It is very easy to reach while you are looking through the viewfinder.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?

So far it looks promising... early days though...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
In reply to Pixnat2, 8 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

To each is own : for me, those faux controls dials are unpractical and have no sense.

They were necessary in mecanically controlled cameras, but were abandonned long ago for better ergonomics.

The are just reborn because of "Retro Hype" and cool factor.

There's nothing "faux" about the control dials - they work!

Any industrial designer will tell you that there is little that is truly ergonomic about having a device controlled by a load of customized, unlabeled buttons and wheels.

You do realize that the Fuji offers the dedicated dials in addition to customized wheels and buttons, right? That seems far more ergonomic and intuitive to me.

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,517Gear list
Like?

Lets be honest with ourselves. The X-T1 is a very interesting camera. Here are my thoughts:

It is priced very aggressively and clearly targeting the wavering DSLR users and therefore also anyone thinking of getting the E-M1.

Compared to the E-M1, it seems to be just as good or better (IQ), except it does not have a touchscreen, 1/8000 sec, and IBIS. So, at this time, the E-M1 is still a better camera, unless you have to have the very best IQ at the expense of other important features. I don't think the X-T1 is seriously challenging the E-M1 yet. Maybe next year, if the X-T2 also get a touchscreen and 1/8000 sec (and with more XF lenses released), then it will get closer, but it will never have a 5-axis IBIS. Still, it is a very nice camera for those who do not mind the bigger APS-C lenses to get the best IQ.

Compared to the top Panasonic cameras, it is a different story. Panasonic cameras do not have 5-axis IBIS (the IBIS in the GX7 is not the same), and they do not have a large and high quality EVF like the E-M1 or X-T1. So, the Fuji camera looks more attractive to Panasonic users. The main reason left for choosing a GH3 or GH4 is the video taking features, besides the lenses. Fuji is coming out with more and more lenses and they are all excellent lenses.  Maybe Panasonic has seen the light, and is moving as a result towards high end video cameras with 4K?

I have a reservation about Fuji's commitment here in such a camera. Due to Fuji's records, I think it will take another generation for it to be great, i.e. the X-T2 and future models could be what I really want. Fuji has a record of failing to get its first models right. Examples of brilliant cameras released with faults are: X-S1 and X-Pro1. Those are really fantastic cameras and just need to have its faults fixed to be great, but Fuji has not bothered to correct their problems and give us the X-S2 and X-Pro2 even after a long time. So, my question is - Will there be a X-T2? or will it change direction again and show us a X-W1 next time?

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Re: So many dials, what for?
In reply to ThePalindrome, 8 months ago

ThePalindrome wrote:

I don't understand the reason for the three top dials on this camera. It has a front and rear dial and aperture on the lens. This let's the user change all the variables already. What the reason for shutter and ISO dials on top, where it is much harder to reach them?

A simple reason is that it make sit very easy to just glance down at the camera, even while it's switched off, to check that it is set up as you want. That has a knock-on benefit of encouraging experimentation and taking more pictures. It's a subtle "nudge"-type thing that makes a big difference.

I'm guessing you don't drive a stick-shift car? It's kind of like the difference between  a stick-shift and an automatic. If you've ever driven a stick-shift sports car, you would understand better, I think.

Parkettpolitur
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?

If I didn't already have the E-M1, I'd buy the new Fuji for sure. The IBIS and the smaller lenses are the only things keeping me in Olyland. Well, that and the fact that I'd lose a ton of money if I sold all my micro four thirds stuff and the X-T1 wouldn't bring a huge jump in terms of IQ.

Parkettpolitur's gear list:Parkettpolitur's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,097
Like?
Re: It does.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Yes, to me it's something I  would definitely consider if all my bodies and lenses burned up  or were stolen (after reading reviews, of course).

But I tend to agree with Thom Hogan's opinion on the Fuji colors, how the blues and yellows are a little funky.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,464Gear list
Like?

I currently use MFT (an OMD EM-5) and FF (Nikon D700). I was thinking about the Fuji X-Pro 1 as a single system alternative. A friend of mine owns it and an OMD; he put me off the Fuji due to certain issues, mainly focussing. I wasn't keen on the ergonomics either.

If the new camera addresses all the issues I must say it is very high on my shopping list. I'd sell some FF gear to finance it, and if I like it enough I may have some MFT gear for sale later this year.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,733Gear list
Like?

I want Panasonic to implement the EVF technology of X-T1 with G/GH cameras.

I'm not sure I want Fuji's trans sensors for Panasonic bodies. I'm happy with current Panasonic sensors.

That is it

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?

perry rhodan wrote:

What do you think of the new X-Fuji? Looks very tempting to me. Was getting ready to buy the EM1 kit, now still waiting for the final specs and test of this new X-trans miracle. Missing any TTLW-flash is not good, EVF and IQ and AF look superb.

And: no I'm not trying to troll here. Have some nice MFT's from Oly already.

Kind regards Perry

+1

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?

It looks great but it wouldn't accept my lenses. Kind of a deal breaker 

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,803
Like?
size/weight is what counts with m4/3

I am always rather surprised that there are people who can't see what is the main, defining quality of m4/3: size/weight of the system (bodies & lenses). The Fuji (or Sony A7 or whatever) seems to be really cool and I can certainly see the attraction. If you don't care about size/weight then why even consider m4/3? Get a FF or APS-C system with larger lenses and don't feel bad that you didn't get m4/3. With m4/3 you get smaller size, lighter weight, quite a good selection of lenses and bodies, and results that are quite good. No one said m4/3 is going to save you money or be better than something else. I repeat:

IF YOU DON'T VALUE SIZE/WEIGHT THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY BE HAPPIER WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,733Gear list
Like?
Re: size/weight is what counts with m4/3
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am always rather surprised that there are people who can't see what is the main, defining quality of m4/3: size/weight of the system (bodies & lenses). The Fuji (or Sony A7 or whatever) seems to be really cool and I can certainly see the attraction. If you don't care about size/weight then why even consider m4/3? Get a FF or APS-C system with larger lenses and don't feel bad that you didn't get m4/3. With m4/3 you get smaller size, lighter weight, quite a good selection of lenses and bodies, and results that are quite good. No one said m4/3 is going to save you money or be better than something else. I repeat:

IF YOU DON'T VALUE SIZE/WEIGHT THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY BE HAPPIER WITH SOMETHING ELSE.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Something else for me personally is a deeper DOF

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

It does not look more interesting than the E-M1, but has a lot more appeal than all the Sony A7 stuff.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I agree.  Certainly a very good camera (maybe even a great camera), but still missing a few features that would have made it better, image stabilization, a rear touch screen, and faster shutter speed.  Personally, after having a fully articulated screen camera, I would sure miss on the new Fuji.  Still, I will be interested in reading and watching the reviews on what this camera can do for an owner.

It is rather comical  to read and watch the various forums brand loyalty with the last several cameras and the negative comments about potential competing brand cameras.  Certainly common with all types of forums though.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,460Gear list
Like?

Out with the M1.

In with the X-T1.

Small APS-C mirrorless compacts may put the final nail in MFT?

Do you think it will hurt sales of M1, and MFT sales in general?

Who has cancelled purchase of M1 and instead will pre-ordere or buy the X-T1?

Why?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 8 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Out with the M1.

In with the X-T1.

Why?

You forgot the essentials,

What's your first name?

What's your surname?

What's your DOB?

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?

Very tempting indeed. The EVF is the best out there. A quote from Camera Labs:

"In true Fujifilm style, the X-T1's viewfinder is a highlight, an all-electronic design sporting an OLED panel with 2360k dots. This shares the same resolution as the OMD EM1 and Alpha A7(r) but with a slightly larger magnification and what Fujifilm claims is a faster refresh. There's also four different views including a dual image option which employs a digital split screen or peaking to aid manual focusing and another which turns the shooting information when shooting in the portrait aspect - why hasn't anyone else thought of this?"

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
Re: size/weight is what counts with m4/3
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

I guess you haven't seen this.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-t1/images/sbs-e-m1.jpg

sorry I couldn't insert the image directly.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,555Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 8 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Out with the M1.

In with the X-T1.

later than sooner, but Panasonic and Olympus have a niche in what they do.

Yes at least now on paper

Why?

I cancelled my order of the M1.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads