X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?
8 months ago

What do you think of the new X-Fuji? Looks very tempting to me. Was getting ready to buy the EM1 kit, now still waiting for the final specs and test of this new X-trans miracle. Missing any TTLW-flash is not good, EVF and IQ and AF look superb.

And: no I'm not trying to troll here. Have some nice MFT's from Oly already.

Kind regards Perry

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,247Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 looks mighty interesting, what do you think?
In reply to perry rhodan, 8 months ago

I think the Fuji looks very interesting -- especially the EVF and AF tracking.

The E-M1 has some decidedly bigger advantages for me:

Faster Shutter Speed

IBIS

Much greater lens availability, and overall smaller size/weight due to sensor size

Faster Flash Sync Speed (250th Sec vs 180 Sec)

Better grip

Those are just a few, but the Fuji will no doubt be an excellent camera.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
perry rhodan
Like?
In reply to daddyo, 8 months ago

Yes that are my main twirks also. IBIS, w-flash and overall a smaller package and wider lens selection. But they get close. Must handle as soon as possible.

Regards Perry

Sabud
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?

IQ as X-E2

Nicer shape

Better EVF (??)

Not so good AF (for sure)

No IBIS (major issue)

Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?

perry rhodan wrote:

What do you think of the new X-Fuji? Looks very tempting to me. Was getting ready to buy the EM1 kit, now still waiting for the final specs and test of this new X-trans miracle. Missing any TTLW-flash is not good, EVF and IQ and AF look superb.

Kind regards Perry

Game over for M43  I think esp if it doesn't have shutter shock problems. Proper retro camera with dials a plenty to play with and looks like it means business. Game over Olympus and Panasonic, game over...........

perry rhodan
Like?
In reply to Sabud, 8 months ago

Sabud wrote:

IQ as X-E2

Nicer shape

Better EVF (??)

No IBIS (major issue)

Sorry, did you read the AF claims and early try outs? It appears to be blazing fast AF.

At least better competition to the MFT's. And competition is always better for customers, isn't it?

Kind regards Perry

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,088Gear list
Like?
I doubt it will fit

Any of my current lenses.

Starting from scratch I might be more interested

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
perry rhodan
Like?
In reply to Shirozina, 8 months ago

Shirozina wrote:

perry rhodan wrote:

Kind regards Perry

Game over for M43 I think esp if it doesn't have shutter shock problems. Proper retro camera with dials a plenty to play with and looks like it means business. Game over Olympus and Panasonic, game over...........

Well, don't know that. The size and weight of the entire package is another thing. But as earlier said, good for the competition. So very interesting times for customers.

Kind regards Perry

Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,201Gear list
Like?

Shirozina wrote:

perry rhodan wrote:

Kind regards Perry

Game over for M43 I think esp if it doesn't have shutter shock problems. Proper retro camera with dials a plenty to play with and looks like it means business. Game over Olympus and Panasonic, game over...........

To each is own : for me, those faux controls dials are unpractical and have no sense.

They were necessary in mecanically controlled cameras, but were abandonned long ago for better ergonomics.

The are just reborn because of "Retro Hype" and cool factor.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Ejvaccaro
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Switching systems is like getting a divorce...

perry rhodan wrote:

Kind regards Perry

I have a significant investment in MFT given bodies & lenses.  Moving to a new platform would require that is a quantum leap over what I am currently using.  It would have to have significantly better IQ, rock solid motion tracking AF, superior low light performance, etc... Additionally, I am not ready to give up the portability of the MFT system.

At the end of the day, it's like a divorce - you walk away from what you know.  You give up everything you have. You wind up with less than half of the value, and you're wading into the deep end of the great unknown.  Only rarely does it meet you expectations.

Ejvaccaro's gear list:Ejvaccaro's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +11 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,313Gear list
Like?
Another step towards the end of the mirror box

If the EVF and AF are really as good as claimed then Fujufilm has a mirrorless camera which at least matches the best APS-C DSLRs in almost every respect and exceeds them in IQ.

If I were in the market for an APS-C DSLR I would find it very difficult to go for anything but the X-T1. Same comment for the Sony A7/A7R - difficult now to buy into a FF DSLR system.

IMHO these two cameras greatly increase the pressure on Nikon and Canon. At some stage that is going to be reflected in market shares if they don't have something up their sleeves.

Personally I am committed to M4/3 because of the smaller lens sizes.  If I moved anywhere it would be to a 1" sensor system for even smaller lenses.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
perry rhodan
Like?
Re: Switching systems is like getting a divorce...
In reply to Ejvaccaro, 8 months ago

Ejvaccaro wrote:

perry rhodan wrote:

Kind regards Perry

I have a significant investment in MFT given bodies & lenses. Moving to a new platform would require that is a quantum leap over what I am currently using. It would have to have significantly better IQ, rock solid motion tracking AF, superior low light performance, etc... Additionally, I am not ready to give up the portability of the MFT system.

At the end of the day, it's like a divorce - you walk away from what you know. You give up everything you have. You wind up with less than half of the value, and you're wading into the deep end of the great unknown. Only rarely does it meet you expectations.

Hehe, done that, been there, a dozen times. When a new body or glass pops up that really attracts, I want it. Letting go of the "old" stuff is very easy especially if you bought it with a very sharp eye. Letting go via the second hand site's (in Holland) like markpl@@ts is easy and value stays very high. So missing out around 30 % (around 7-800 €) each year on a new kit is acceptable (to me). Sometimes the wait is 4 weeks, but not much more.

Should try to get a second job as a camera tester LOL !

Kind regards Perry

Cephalotus
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,786Gear list
Like?

Yes, the X-T1 looks quite good, maybe very good. Nothing wrong with it, of Fuji has made a very nice camera.

It will be better than an E-M1 in some aspects and worse in others and just different in some others.

If you like the concept of having dedicated wheels for ISO, aperture, speed the X-T1 is almost without any competition, I'm now more adopted to the button+wheel approach most (D)SLRs have used for the last 30 years...

So if you like the camera (specs), are willing to try something which will just enter the market and if you like the system, then why not?

Cephalotus's gear list:Cephalotus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Olympus E-1
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238Gear list
Like?
So far no drastic moves beyond what the X100 and EM5 brought about 2 years ago?

I am seeing great new features and expanded performance but the revolutionary cams haven't been relegated to second tier still to this day.  I like the X-T1 and the EM1 as well as the new GX7 from Panasonic.  That being said there are still little missing things or random features and functions that just don't make sense to me.

Hopefully addressed in second generations of these bodies in 2015/2016 or the next GH# or EM#.

i say it every time but the offerings today in almost every system are downright impressive and the lens line ups are also getting interesting.  M4/3 still seems to have the best  assortment and is a few native lens shy of being a complete system.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Like?

Love the sarcasm. Very dry humor you have.

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,223Gear list
Like?

It does not look more interesting than the E-M1, but has a lot more appeal than all the Sony A7 stuff.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

perry rhodan wrote:

Sabud wrote:

IQ as X-E2

Nicer shape

Better EVF (??)

No IBIS (major issue)

Sorry, did you read the AF claims and early try outs? It appears to be blazing fast AF.

At least better competition to the MFT's. And competition is always better for customers, isn't it?

Kind regards Perry

Fuji has been making similar AF claims for a couple years now. It hasn't made it true.

Panasonic and Olympus are both well ahead of Fuji in AF speed, and until tests prove otherwise, I will take anything Fuji says about AF with a grain of salt. And more importantly than speed, Panasonic and Olympus have been well ahead in AF accuracy and hit rate as well.

Plus, there's the problem that not all Fuji lenses are fast internally focusing affairs, whereas almost all M43 lenses are. So how fast on which lenses?

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
ThePalindrome
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
So many dials, what for?

I don't understand the reason for the three top dials on this camera. It has a front and rear dial and aperture on the lens. This let's the user change all the variables already. What the reason for shutter and ISO dials on top, where it is much harder to reach them?

ThePalindrome's gear list:ThePalindrome's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,916Gear list
Like?
The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Camera System

I would say unless there is some absolute need you are missing, it will drive you crazy looking at other systems. This goes both ways.

There is no perfect system and it will induce multiple personality disorder or even worse Gear acquisition Syndrome.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,190Gear list
Like?
Well, already having the X-E1, and...

I'm absolutely loving that camera.  I've been nothing less than totally impressed with the Fuji X camera offerings.  Their lens lineup looks superb.  Right now - unless the reviews and user comments prove otherwise - this X-T1 is on my radar to get sometime within the next 5 months or so - along with the battery grip, the pending 16-55 f2.8 OIS, the 10-24 f4 OIS, and the 50-140 f2.8 OIS lenses.  That 18-55 f2.8-4.0 OIS that I have on the X-E1 has proven itself to be a superbly sharp optic.

So between my micro 4/3 stuff - and now this Fuji X scenario, I'm pretty well covered.  But to be honest here, I didn't expect to be as impressed as I have become with the Fuji X stuff.  All of this bodes well for our choices out there.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads