EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
6 months ago

Nice article about the E-M1 video  by a very knowledgeable writer :

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11895/first-look-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-panasonic-gh3

E-M1 video seems pretty good after all

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,573Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Though they still seem to prefer the GH3, particularly in the codecs area. Anyway, I really like my GH3 in all respects so I won't be trying the E-M1 since I do prefer a larger body

That site adds to the negatives I'm reading about the A7 models.

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,612
Like?
I own both and the GH3 wipes the floor with the em1 for video.
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

No comparison.  I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to PC Wheeler, 6 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

Though they still seem to prefer the GH3, particularly in the codecs area. Anyway, I really like my GH3 in all respects so I won't be trying the E-M1 since I do prefer a larger body

That site adds to the negatives I'm reading about the A7 models.

-- hide signature --

Phil

The GH3 is surely a more complete tool for taking footage.

But there was a lot of whinning about video on the E-M1 by people who probably take amateur footage for looking on their TV screen. So I find interesting that Andrew Reid, a professional filmmaker, find that the E-M1 is great for filming!

Quote from EOSHD :

Yet the image quality really is good enough to be used as an A-camera by a large number of artists and filmmakers.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SenicPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

I've tried them both. Although it's a nice camera but when it comes to video, E-M1 is definitely inferior to to GH3 ... it doesn't come even close.

 SenicPhoto's gear list:SenicPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D610 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
That's not Andrew Reid conclusion
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 6 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

Sure, the GH3 has more feature and a better codec. But sure too, "wipe the floor" or "no comparaison" seems a bit over the top

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to SenicPhoto, 6 months ago

SenicPhoto wrote:

I've tried them both. Although it's a nice camera but when it comes to video, E-M1 is definitely inferior to to GH3 ... it doesn't come even close.

Are you so sure? Some people in the EOSHD forum seems to find the E-M1 better for street shooting. So it's not "inferior" in every aspects, right?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

Nice article about the E-M1 video by a very knowledgeable writer :

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11895/first-look-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-panasonic-gh3

E-M1 video seems pretty good after all

-- hide signature --

I've read that, and all things considered, other than for handheld shots where Olympus has the advantage, I don't see how any current mirrorless camera can beat the GH3 in video.

 honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Nice article about the E-M1 video by a very knowledgeable writer :

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11895/first-look-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-panasonic-gh3

E-M1 video seems pretty good after all

-- hide signature --

I've read that, and all things considered, other than for handheld shots where Olympus has the advantage, I don't see how any current mirrorless camera can beat the GH3 in video.

That's not a football match. No one has to win or loose. That's only tools you know.

Sure the GH3 has more controls. But the E-M1 video quality is good enough for most amateurs, and IBIS makes it very attracive, especially for amateurs who don't want to put their camera on a rig :-)!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SenicPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

SenicPhoto wrote:

I've tried them both. Although it's a nice camera but when it comes to video, E-M1 is definitely inferior to to GH3 ... it doesn't come even close.

Are you so sure? Some people in the EOSHD forum seems to find the E-M1 better for street shooting. So it's not "inferior" in every aspects, right?

-- hide signature --

I can't disagree more. I shoot videos with 4 different cameras (Canon, Blackmagic, Panasonic and Sony) ... what I get from GH3 can't be produced on Olympus. When comes to stills, that's a totally different story ....

 SenicPhoto's gear list:SenicPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D610 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SenicPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: That's not Andrew Reid conclusion
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

Sure, the GH3 has more feature and a better codec. But sure too, "wipe the floor" or "no comparaison" seems a bit over the top

-- hide signature --

No, it's really like that ...

 SenicPhoto's gear list:SenicPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D610 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to SenicPhoto, 6 months ago

SenicPhoto wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

SenicPhoto wrote:

I've tried them both. Although it's a nice camera but when it comes to video, E-M1 is definitely inferior to to GH3 ... it doesn't come even close.

Are you so sure? Some people in the EOSHD forum seems to find the E-M1 better for street shooting. So it's not "inferior" in every aspects, right?

-- hide signature --

I can't disagree more. I shoot videos with 4 different cameras (Canon, Blackmagic, Panasonic and Sony) ... what I get from GH3 can't be produced on Olympus. When comes to stills, that's a totally different story ....

That's your personal POV, and I respect it. Andrew Reid from EOSHD shoot with many more cameras and have a different POV than yours. I respect it too

SenicPhoto vs EOSHD : make your own choice

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

Nice article about the E-M1 video by a very knowledgeable writer :

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11895/first-look-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-panasonic-gh3

E-M1 video seems pretty good after all

-- hide signature --

Just an early hands on and not a full review. Better than previous offerings from Ol in this dep but I doubt film makers will be selling their GH2(hacked) and GH3's quite yet. It seems to lack some pretty obvious and must have features to be a GH3 replacement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,880Gear list
Like?
No, it all depends
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 6 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

The E-M1 is very good if there is not any panning or highly detailed moving objects such as trees.  You do need to turn down sharpening and use a flat profile too.  The E-M1 also excels at handheld video due to the 5 axis IBIS that adjusts for sensor rotation.  It keeps the image level, something in lens IS can't due.

The GH3 though can shoot at 60p and has a much higher bit-rate. This means for moving objects you get all the detail retained.  Obviously if you are making an independent film or something for broadcast the GH3 is the way to go.  If you are making home movies or need a "b" camera for quick static shots or handheld scenes, the E-M1 offers very good IQ.

 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it all depends
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

Really, there's maybe three things the Olympus needs to have a permanent place in my video life:

1. 24p. I've started shooting 24 fps on my GH3 and I don't want two different frame rates in my shooting.

2. On-screen audio level monitoring. I shoot music events a lot. Gotta know I'm not overloading my mic.

3. Focus peaking. Less important than the other two, though. My GH3 doesn't have this and I do fine.

I had an E-P5 for a while, and there are three things I like about Olympus over Panasonic (for video):

1. I can configure a MySet that is S mode at the proper shutter speed and then it's just a quick mode dial switch to be configured for video, whereas I can't do that in Panasonic because the custom modes don't remember shutter speeds.

2. 5-axis IBIS, obviously.

3. Auto-ISO in M mode. I don't use this that much, though.

So, really, Olympus isn't even that far off IMO when it comes to being a good video tool. A better codec, focus peaking, audio level meters on screen, and 24p/60p options in E-M1 (which are all possible in firmware updates, by the way) and I wouldn't even need a GH3 anymore. I'd probably downgrade to a G6, as I would still need a video body with an articulated screen for tripod and Youtube work, but I'd definitely switch to E-M1 for handheld video.

 honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it all depends
In reply to honeyiscool, 6 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

Really, there's maybe three things the Olympus needs to have a permanent place in my video life:

1. 24p. I've started shooting 24 fps on my GH3 and I don't want two different frame rates in my shooting.

2. On-screen audio level monitoring. I shoot music events a lot. Gotta know I'm not overloading my mic.

3. Focus peaking. Less important than the other two, though. My GH3 doesn't have this and I do fine.

I had an E-M5 for a while, and there are three things I like about Olympus over Panasonic (for video):

1. I can configure a MySet that is S mode at the proper shutter speed and then it's just a quick mode dial switch to be configured for video, whereas I can't do that in Panasonic because the custom modes don't remember shutter speeds.

2. 5-axis IBIS, obviously.

3. Auto-ISO in M mode. I don't use this that much, though.

So, really, Olympus isn't even that far off IMO when it comes to being a good video tool. A better codec, focus peaking, audio level meters on screen, and 24p/60p options in E-M1 (which are all possible in firmware updates, by the way) and I wouldn't even need a GH3 anymore. I'd probably downgrade to a G6, as I would still need a video body with an articulated screen for tripod and Youtube work, but I'd definitely switch to E-M1 for handheld video.

Agree 100%. Meanwhile, the E-M1 is good enough for many, as Andrew Reid said.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864Gear list
Like?
And then you look at the other story about the EM-1 video
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11880/olympus-phase-detect-af-strips-showing-up-in-e-m1-video

Because those giant stripes just make the footage absolutely shine...

IMO unless you really need image stabilisation whilst using non stabilised lenses then the GH3 is better in every way with regards to video.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,107Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it all depends
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

Lab D wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

The E-M1 is very good if there is not any panning or highly detailed moving objects such as trees. You do need to turn down sharpening and use a flat profile too. The E-M1 also excels at handheld video due to the 5 axis IBIS that adjusts for sensor rotation. It keeps the image level, something in lens IS can't due.

The GH3 though can shoot at 60p and has a much higher bit-rate. This means for moving objects you get all the detail retained. Obviously if you are making an independent film or something for broadcast the GH3 is the way to go. If you are making home movies or need a "b" camera for quick static shots or handheld scenes, the E-M1 offers very good IQ.

When I compared the video shot in 1080/28p between E-PL5 and GH1, I found the footage from GH1 cleaner, with less compression artifacts.  Do you think the videos in EM1 is much improved since they introduced E-PL5.  I am not a pro so I do not need broadcast quality videos but I want it to be as least clean.

 G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Ma
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: And then you look at the other story about the EM-1 video
In reply to Dheorl, 6 months ago

The more I look at that 5 axis stabilization samples, the less I want it.  It is not good as people are making it out to be.  Great for handheld still video, but when walking it seems to get lost, and even warp the video.  I think in a a lot of the cases a shakier video without warping would be more useful.  And for still video, the stabilized lenses are good on the GH3 as already mentioned.

Also, I'm learning that the GH3 is more capable as a photography camera than people have come to expect.

 Michael Ma's gear list:Michael Ma's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it all depends
In reply to G1Houston, 6 months ago

G1Houston wrote:

Lab D wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

No comparison. I am keeping the em1 for stills and just bought the gh3 - no regrets.

The E-M1 is very good if there is not any panning or highly detailed moving objects such as trees. You do need to turn down sharpening and use a flat profile too. The E-M1 also excels at handheld video due to the 5 axis IBIS that adjusts for sensor rotation. It keeps the image level, something in lens IS can't due.

The GH3 though can shoot at 60p and has a much higher bit-rate. This means for moving objects you get all the detail retained. Obviously if you are making an independent film or something for broadcast the GH3 is the way to go. If you are making home movies or need a "b" camera for quick static shots or handheld scenes, the E-M1 offers very good IQ.

When I compared the video shot in 1080/28p between E-PL5 and GH1, I found the footage from GH1 cleaner, with less compression artifacts. Do you think the videos in EM1 is much improved since they introduced E-PL5. I am not a pro so I do not need broadcast quality videos but I want it to be as least clean.

The E-M1 have updated codec which greatly reduce the macro-blocking on fast moving/complex scene that is prone on Olympus camera (up to E-P5), also it record at slightly higher 24Mbps instead of 20Mbps

 ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads