Going back to DSLR...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Going back to DSLR...
9 months ago

With mixed feelings, I've just returned the 60mm I bought from Amazon, and will be selling the X-E1, 35mm and 18-55mm - I'll be very sorry to let it go. It's been great fun to use, and the image quality is surprisingly good, as you all know.

I've just ordered a Nikon D800 and three Nikkors (85mm f1.4G, 135mm f2DC, 16-35mm f4G) and might buy the Sigma 50mm when it's released, if the price/performance is anything like their 35mm model.

I've surprised myself to be honest - after all my bleating about how disappointing the Df is, and all the excitement about the X-T1 which is without doubt the closest thing yet to the camera I've been longing for, in the end I've given up on the small sensor and gone full-frame with a conventional DSLR that offers NO traditional controls at all. Nuts.

I love the controls on the Fujis, and the light weight and portability. Love the image quality too, as far as it goes - I've loved shooting family portraits, landscapes, travel etc with the X-E1 (and the X100). Sadly though, the AF system is just not responsive enough to make the camera completely versatile, and there are no long prime lenses on the road map, so wildlife and sports (and even hyperactive toddler life) are pretty much excluded. I also have a nagging feeling that, with Fuji, I'd become a consumer rather than a photographer. It sort-of feels like that niche of the market is still evolving too quickly, and I'll end up having (or wanting) to buy newer, better stuff all the time. Looking at Fuji forums, it seems that everyone cannot wait to replace this Fuji or that Fuji with the next Fuji, and I'm sure that there WILL be a full frame Fuji at some point, which will mean replacing all the lenses too. I can understand the attraction, but I need a bit of stability!

I'm keeping the X100 for sure; it'll remain my little carry-around camera, but I'm *so* looking forward to being back on full-frame again, with an investment in great glass that will hopefully last 10-20yrs. The D800 should be good for at least 5 years too, I think.

Best of luck to you all - hope you continue to enjoy the Fuji journey!

Al.

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Going back to DSLR...
In reply to Al Downie, 9 months ago

Al Downie wrote:

With mixed feelings, I've just returned the 60mm I bought from Amazon, and will be selling the X-E1, 35mm and 18-55mm - I'll be very sorry to let it go. It's been great fun to use, and the image quality is surprisingly good, as you all know.

I've just ordered a Nikon D800 and three Nikkors (85mm f1.4G, 135mm f2DC, 16-35mm f4G) and might buy the Sigma 50mm when it's released, if the price/performance is anything like their 35mm model.

I've surprised myself to be honest - after all my bleating about how disappointing the Df is, and all the excitement about the X-T1 which is without doubt the closest thing yet to the camera I've been longing for, in the end I've given up on the small sensor and gone full-frame with a conventional DSLR that offers NO traditional controls at all. Nuts.

I love the controls on the Fujis, and the light weight and portability. Love the image quality too, as far as it goes - I've loved shooting family portraits, landscapes, travel etc with the X-E1 (and the X100). Sadly though, the AF system is just not responsive enough to make the camera completely versatile, and there are no long prime lenses on the road map, so wildlife and sports (and even hyperactive toddler life) are pretty much excluded. I also have a nagging feeling that, with Fuji, I'd become a consumer rather than a photographer. It sort-of feels like that niche of the market is still evolving too quickly, and I'll end up having (or wanting) to buy newer, better stuff all the time. Looking at Fuji forums, it seems that everyone cannot wait to replace this Fuji or that Fuji with the next Fuji, and I'm sure that there WILL be a full frame Fuji at some point, which will mean replacing all the lenses too. I can understand the attraction, but I need a bit of stability!

I'm keeping the X100 for sure; it'll remain my little carry-around camera, but I'm *so* looking forward to being back on full-frame again, with an investment in great glass that will hopefully last 10-20yrs. The D800 should be good for at least 5 years too, I think.

Al.

Haha - you are a brave man. Expect people telling you how Fuji beats the D800 in 3,2,1...

Seriously though, it's a much better all around camera. If it just wasn't so big I'd have one myself; but the last thing I want to do is lug around something that big and heavy. I don't want to go out in public looking like a paparazzi or like I should be on a safari. It never used to bother me, but it does now.

So as it stands now, small and discrete makes up for the failings in operability because I can get over them to shoot what I want most of the time, and that includes crazy toddlers; it's just a lot harder!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,943Gear list
Like?

If you wanted a DSLR again why did you pick FF over APS-C options like a D7100 Or Canon EOS 70, Or even the Panasonic GH-3 that has great AF and fast OEM glass options for a mirror-Less camera and does video well.

12-35 and 35-100 2.8, unless you have to have the sensor as a deal breaker?

i think the better solution would be keep the Fuji with one or two lenses and buy a DSLR for specific telephoto of fast action stuff. Fuji can handle portraits and landscapes very very well and makes for a easier day trip.

I bet you grab your x100 sooner than later and the D800 less if the subject matter does not matter, meaning either camera can get the shot, take the compact.

jonnie burtoft
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?

Hi, regarding the lack of long focal length primes- I also feel that this is a big missing part of the system. For my needs I will be investing in a canon dslr and the 100mm f2, I will keep my xpro as I love using it, however I find the slow af to be limiting when photographing my very boisterous twin boys.

From the look Of the new fuji xt1 the af is A lot better and quite good at continuous focus, fuji are getting better are the time, give it a couple years and they will no doubt be producing cameras on a par with the best dslr's.

Enjoy your new camera and great glass.

Cheers, jon

bavarius6
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?

The D800 and 3 lenses you just bought makes you feel like less of a consumer and more of a photographer?

How?

Pat

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to bavarius6, 9 months ago

bavarius6 wrote:

The D800 and 3 lenses you just bought makes you feel like less of a consumer and more of a photographer?

How?

+1.  Enjoy your Nikon.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?

How?

Pat

Did you read his post? He expects the Nikon setup to last a very long time without wanting to upgrade, which I think is reasonable. DSLR have reached a stable point where the quality and features are good enough for the next 5-10 years. I can't imagine myself needing more than 36MP or ISO6400 or 14stops DR. Fuji has just started and is volatile, no one knows what it will evolve into in the next 5 years.

howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Al.

Totally understand your reasons as the three lenses you've listed are pretty amazing and the quality of images from the D800 are stunning. I currently only have the XM1 as it's my first dip into the Fuji market but so far I love it as a carry about camera. Small, light and very good image quality. However at the moment I'm reluctant to let my Nikon gear go because I'm extremely happy with the performance and image quality I'm getting from my Nikon D7100 and lens selection.
In the next 6-12 months I can see me getting more Fuji gear though to compliment my Nikon gear. The XT-1 looks very impressive but I also love the look of all the Fuji X cameras. I'll probably get me either a second hand xe1 or xpro1 in the next 6 months to further enhance my Fuji experience.
I also feel for me the D7100 will last me the next 5 years. I can easily print images at 24"x18" without seeing any artifacts and that's certainly good enough for me on the dslr side of things. I've also ordered myself a fotodiox adapter so I can use my Nikon lenses on Fuji bodies and with the focus peaking, makes manual focus fun and easy.
Good luck with your new D800

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Al Downie
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 9 months ago

Exactly - the last Nikon (and lenses) I bought served me well for almost 15 years! My relationship with Fuji feels like an upgrade rollercoaster. I don't have confidence that the lenses they're now charging £1,000 for will still be useful in 5 years' time.

hellocrowley wrote:

He expects the Nikon setup to last a very long time without wanting to upgrade

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?

Congrats on your purchase, the D800 definitely is an outstanding camera.

I also wish you good luck with the plan of keeping the same camera and lenses for at least 5 years!

Truth to be told though, although currently a disruptive and revolutionary DSLR is nowhere in sight, it’ll probably come eventually. So few innovations from CaNikon in the last couple of years must mean they’re working on something big, I think.

Besides, if you’ve liked your Fuji’s IQ and the lenses you had, why did you feel such an urge to watch out for the newest and greatest and shopped around? And why do you think your new toy will suppress this urge in the future?

Unfortunately, we live in a consumption-driven world where the new toy is only so long the greatest until a newer one comes along… Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticizing you, as the Gear Acquisition Syndrome is no stranger to me, too. I’ve learned my lesson, however. I’m in no way cured from GAS but I’m not delusional either that buying something new for my current gear or switching to a totally different system is the right medicine.

After the freshness wears out and you collect experience with the new gear there’ll always be something it lacks, is not good or could be better at. And you start thinking again… Options are plenty and marketers do the best they can to let you know about all of them. I think, if you want to cure GAS, you need to come to peace with what you have and not try to fight it with spending more money.

BUT STILL, best luck with fulfilling your resolution. If you can succeed that means there’s still hope for me

May the force be with you,

Mike

-- hide signature --

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi
bavarius6
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 9 months ago

How?

Pat

Did you read his post? He expects the Nikon setup to last a very long time without wanting to upgrade, which I think is reasonable. DSLR have reached a stable point where the quality and features are good enough for the next 5-10 years. I can't imagine myself needing more than 36MP or ISO6400 or 14stops DR. Fuji has just started and is volatile, no one knows what it will evolve into in the next 5 years.

Yes, I did read his post.

Whether it suits your style of photography or not how often has Fuji replaced the X Pro 1 which was the first X mount body? (It hasn't)

How often has it replaced any of it's X mount bodies? (Once {XE2})

How well had it supported it's users with updates instead of new bodies? (Better than any other manufacturer)

What did Nikon do when the D600 buyers had a problem with their new FF cameras? They launched the D610 with modifications that rectified the issue and if D600 owners wanted it they could always buy it.

Many of the OP's reasons for changing to a D800 are valid but let's not pretend that owning a FF DSLR Nikon makes anybody more of a photographer and less of a consumer, please.

Pat

Al Downie
Like?
In reply to MiWo, 9 months ago

MiWo wrote:

After the freshness wears out and you collect experience with the new gear there’ll always be something it lacks, is not good or could be better at. And you start thinking again…

You may well be right, and that's why this time my main investment is in the best lenses I can afford. Unless Nikon make some drastic change that renders them incompatible with future bodies (!), I expect them to last, and continue to impress me, for many, many years. The D800 is also the best body I can afford just now, but I do expect that'll end up being replaced much sooner than the lenses. Maybe if the Df2 is more like a grown-up version of the X-T1...

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,111Gear list
Like?
Love my D800

Al Downie wrote:

Al.

I just don't use it very much. When I do though, 36MP is certainly impressive, as is the camera.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?

Looks like you made a bad choice, really, you should have known this system wasn't very good for sports, why did you waste your time to begin with?

I sold my 5D2 to move to Fuji and I would NEVER go back, EVER EVER, EVER!!!   Image quality is definitely better than the 5D2 and there isn't much difference in the 5D2 image quality from the 6D and 5D3.  But I knew going in that I rarely ever shoot moving subjects and studied the system enough to know that sports and such is not it's strong suit.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,326
Like?

How?

Pat

Reading is fundamental. Try again.

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?

Well, I went the other way. From a D800 to an XE1. From a pure photography pov, you made a very good choice. I found the controls, ergonomics, viewfinder and anything else related to handling far better in the D800. IQ is noticeably better, as is metering (though Fuji's is pretty good). AF does not need to be discussed.

But, its a beast. Even without a bag and a few extra lenses, its no fun lugging it around. As an all day carry, common for me, it got preceded by a discussion before I picked it up. The X100 was winning the choice of carry far too often, so the XE1.

Cane
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, 9 months ago

Looks like you made a bad choice, really, you should have known this system wasn't very good for sports, why did you waste your time to begin with?

I sold my 5D2 to move to Fuji and I would NEVER go back, EVER EVER, EVER!!!   Image quality is definitely better than the 5D2 and there isn't much difference in the 5D2 image quality from the 6D and 5D3.  But I knew going in that I rarely ever shoot moving subjects and studied the system enough to know that sports and such is not it's strong suit.

Like most every Fuji shooter, slow deliberate sleeping turtle shooters that have the afternoon to get a shot and a sandwich.

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,065Gear list
Like?
Mistake

Al Downie wrote:

Al.

I think your mistake was thinking/assuming/believing/suspecting that these mirror-less cameras can replace a DSLR for anything resembling sports, wildlife or telephoto shooting. They absolutely cannot. Not now. I'm not sure what all the full-frame nonsense is about.

The stability you speak of comes from knowing your photographic/imaging needs. Good luck with the D800.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Cane
Like?

Yes, let's make sure we are fan boys! Have to spin Fuji as positive always, for everyone.

Ivar Dahl Larsen
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?

You are either kidding alot of people, like to crack jokes or tease a whole lot, 'cause seriously if you mean what you are saying, why say it here in the first place? Whatever you choose to do, all the luck to you. I on the other hand seem to be hooked on the XT1, I need a cold shower now and I wonder whether to keep my two exellent X-E1 or sell one of them. Cheers mate in your attempt to get stronger and be able to carry much more weight as you are not getting any younger.

-- hide signature --

idl

Ivar Dahl Larsen's gear list:Ivar Dahl Larsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads