Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Graham Hill, 11 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Well that didnt take long. In order for mirrorless people to be happy, SLR's have to die.

Prediction: Nikon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

2nd Prediction: Canon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

Final Prediction: Fujifilm doesnt sell even half a million X-T1's in 2014.

I'll believe that mirrorless is taking over when just ONE of the makers of these cameras can turn a profit. Just one.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

And I know it is really hard for you not to be confrontational, feel threatened, etc. but please, for this thread, try.

I'm not threatened in the slightest. I have no problems with SLR's. I dont count down their death. I'm not fanatical about watching SLR's die. I'm a mirrorless/film shooter and happy to be so. I see no need to conduct a deathwatch. I'm not threatened by SLR's the way others are.

Others who have replied have made a great start.

Oh, OK.

I find it interesting.

As do I.

But I am a history (and future) buff. I enjoy studying how cameras have evolved and how they might change in the future.

As am I.

If you do not, why even read this thread?

See above.

Why comment?

See above.

Spite?

Lose the defensiveness. No one is attacking you. They are not out to get you.

Strange. Anyway...whatever.

It's funny, you often come across that way. This wouldn't be the first time you have sounded like you were being offensive to someone.

If you are really interested in the future of photography, why wouldn't the future of the DSLR be interesting to you?

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Strange. Anyway...whatever.

What ever happened to this idea in your OP?

Maybe even refrain from judging others opinion and just state our own.

Seriously, it's more than a little transparent.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

Can we please not mention FF or larger sensor. I'd really like to know what is left as an advantage for DSLR?

Also, can we please try hard to keep this civil?

Maybe even refrain from judging others opinion and just state our own.

I don't own any AF lenses, so AF performance means very little to me. What does is EVF performance. Despite its wonderful size, the EVF must have high resolution and daylight contrast in order to work well for manual lenses. I would like to replace my D800 with the X-T1. I wanted the same thing with the A7r, but alas, the A7r's EVF is too low resolution to properly replace the D800's OVF (which is only mediocre).

A mediocre OVF has no resolution limits, so incredible detail can be seen. Even today's best EVFs lag behind. Magnify them further and that rift should be even more evident. I hope that the manual focus aids on the X-T1 will be good enough that my great Nikkor lenses can be used with some proximity to the ease with which they are used on the D800, but I've lost my enthusiasm and hope for the mirrorless market when it comes to doing anything but fun side events with manual SLR lenses.

I own the X-Pro 1 and love it for laid back photography. I assume that the X-T1 will be that plus 1. Some day, I truly hope for DSLR performance in mirrorless, but EVF technology is still years away from parity.

 shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Well that didnt take long. In order for mirrorless people to be happy, SLR's have to die.

Prediction: Nikon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

2nd Prediction: Canon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

Final Prediction: Fujifilm doesnt sell even half a million X-T1's in 2014.

I'll believe that mirrorless is taking over when just ONE of the makers of these cameras can turn a profit. Just one.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

And I know it is really hard for you not to be confrontational, feel threatened, etc. but please, for this thread, try.

I'm not threatened in the slightest. I have no problems with SLR's. I dont count down their death. I'm not fanatical about watching SLR's die. I'm a mirrorless/film shooter and happy to be so. I see no need to conduct a deathwatch. I'm not threatened by SLR's the way others are.

Others who have replied have made a great start.

Oh, OK.

I find it interesting.

As do I.

But I am a history (and future) buff. I enjoy studying how cameras have evolved and how they might change in the future.

As am I.

If you do not, why even read this thread?

See above.

Why comment?

See above.

Spite?

Lose the defensiveness. No one is attacking you. They are not out to get you.

Strange. Anyway...whatever.

It's funny, you often come across that way.

To those who feel threatened yes, I can understand.

This wouldn't be the first time you have sounded like you were being offensive to someone.

Another "judgement" from you.  Tiresome.

If you are really interested in the future of photography, why wouldn't the future of the DSLR be interesting to you?

I am very interested in the future of the SLR.   However, interest and abject glee that its end is in sight are two different things.  Note that for future reference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to PerL, 11 months ago

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

How long does the battery last if you leave the EVF in "always on" mode?

Good point. That will ALWAYS be an advantage for OVF.

And you have the DR issue.

That should improve with time, but is a restriction. Of course the "exposure" can be shifted in the EVF so although it can't be seen at once, it can be "slid" back and forth.

And lets see how well the AF-C works. I think this is the third or fourth time the term "the world fastest AF" is used with a new EVF based camera.

Agreed. I am optimistically hopeful. The samples Rico posted look pretty convincing.

And lets see if there is no "slide show" effect when the camera shots series at the highest speed while the processor is working with AF, exposure etc

I doubt it. This is a big roadblock. I don't know the engineering here, but this might be impossible to prevent. We'll see.

Can we please not mention FF or larger sensor. I'd really like to know what is left as an advantage for DSLR?

Also, can we please try hard to keep this civil?

Maybe even refrain from judging others opinion and just state our own.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Graham Hill, 11 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Well that didnt take long. In order for mirrorless people to be happy, SLR's have to die.

Prediction: Nikon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

2nd Prediction: Canon alone sells millions of SLR's in 2014.

Final Prediction: Fujifilm doesnt sell even half a million X-T1's in 2014.

I'll believe that mirrorless is taking over when just ONE of the makers of these cameras can turn a profit. Just one.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

And I know it is really hard for you not to be confrontational, feel threatened, etc. but please, for this thread, try.

I'm not threatened in the slightest. I have no problems with SLR's. I dont count down their death. I'm not fanatical about watching SLR's die. I'm a mirrorless/film shooter and happy to be so. I see no need to conduct a deathwatch. I'm not threatened by SLR's the way others are.

Others who have replied have made a great start.

Oh, OK.

I find it interesting.

As do I.

But I am a history (and future) buff. I enjoy studying how cameras have evolved and how they might change in the future.

As am I.

If you do not, why even read this thread?

See above.

Why comment?

See above.

Spite?

Lose the defensiveness. No one is attacking you. They are not out to get you.

Strange. Anyway...whatever.

It's funny, you often come across that way.

To those who feel threatened yes, I can understand.

No. That is not it. I assure you, I am not threatened by you in any way, yet I find your writing offensive often as do others.

This wouldn't be the first time you have sounded like you were being offensive to someone.

Another "judgement" from you. Tiresome.

Just the facts. Not a judgement. Have you looked back through your posts? Can you look in a mirror. You were banned from here before, no?

If you are really interested in the future of photography, why wouldn't the future of the DSLR be interesting to you?

I am very interested in the future of the SLR. However, interest and abject glee that its end is in sight are two different things. Note that for future reference.

Can you show me where my "Glee" was? And if there was Glee, it was from my shoulders not wanting to carry any more heavy backpacks around. I would be happy for cameras to get lighter.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
Jeremy Kyle
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

While skimming through this topic on half my monitor, the other half has The Jeremy Kyle TV show. At times I got confused as to which was which.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

Only the first (high fps autofocus) is inheriently affected by the choice of mirror/no-mirror. The lack of quality super-telephotos isn really more of a consequence of the autofocus issue, and the fact people who'll buy expensive telephotos value high performance AF.

If I was Fuji, I'd bribe Tamron to make an x-mount version of the new 150-600.

Tilt-shift lens already work as well/better in a different system; the medium-format ones!

-- hide signature --

Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kjhants
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to myphotographic, 11 months ago

+1 on the tamron.

rgds

 kjhants's gear list:kjhants's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to kjhants, 11 months ago

kjhants wrote:

+1 on the tamron.

rgds

Do either of you own that lens? It is not available here (Thailand) yet.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Graham Hill, 11 months ago

Standalone camera sales in its decline. They lost 10% of sales in 2013. I'm sure they will lose even more in 2014. So, I would not be so optimistic, especially about Nikon's future, which seems to be dark.

 Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to shigzeo, 11 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

Can we please not mention FF or larger sensor. I'd really like to know what is left as an advantage for DSLR?

Also, can we please try hard to keep this civil?

Maybe even refrain from judging others opinion and just state our own.

I don't own any AF lenses, so AF performance means very little to me. What does is EVF performance. Despite its wonderful size, the EVF must have high resolution and daylight contrast in order to work well for manual lenses. I would like to replace my D800 with the X-T1. I wanted the same thing with the A7r, but alas, the A7r's EVF is too low resolution to properly replace the D800's OVF (which is only mediocre).

A mediocre OVF has no resolution limits, so incredible detail can be seen. Even today's best EVFs lag behind. Magnify them further and that rift should be even more evident. I hope that the manual focus aids on the X-T1 will be good enough that my great Nikkor lenses can be used with some proximity to the ease with which they are used on the D800, but I've lost my enthusiasm and hope for the mirrorless market when it comes to doing anything but fun side events with manual SLR lenses.

I own the X-Pro 1 and love it for laid back photography. I assume that the X-T1 will be that plus 1. Some day, I truly hope for DSLR performance in mirrorless, but EVF technology is still years away from parity.

Does the VF take the picture? No

Does the viewfinder show shooting information and modes while also showing the exposure about to be captured? Only in some cases.

Which do I prefer, the OVF on my Fuji and recently departed Nikon, or the EVF on my two Panasonics and Sony? Pretty obvious, especially as the OVF doesn't show all of the image being captured and even despite the excellent transpanel info display on the Fuji.

However, I have one camera with a truly appalling EVF that is only barely acceptable to me. The low resolution one fitted to my Nikon P500, which would put anyone off. Still, it is useful in strong sun, if not pleasant to use.

In truth I would not choose a camera on the basis of what type of viewfinder was fitted. Or whether it had a mirror or not. The whole package is what counts. Especially since I make a habit of shooting with both eyes open for the most part, which means I have one of the actual scene with a naked eye and one with all the shooting information, composition and exposure with the other.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,725
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to bigpigbig, 11 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

How long does the battery last if you leave the EVF in "always on" mode?

Good point. That will ALWAYS be an advantage for OVF.

And you have the DR issue.

That should improve with time, but is a restriction. Of course the "exposure" can be shifted in the EVF so although it can't be seen at once, it can be "slid" back and forth.

And lets see how well the AF-C works. I think this is the third or fourth time the term "the world fastest AF" is used with a new EVF based camera.

Agreed. I am optimistically hopeful. The samples Rico posted look pretty convincing.

Are you referring to these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157640158298025/

I would want to see something more challenging, more like these samples.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 11 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Mirroless can't compete with the focus speed of DSLRs yet, I believe one day they will, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon,

How can you say this? A matter of days ago, nobody could have predicted the new Fuji with this kind of EVF, other than Fuji connected people of course. It just hit us, bam!! How do you know somebody else won't do the same with on sensor PDAF? You have no idea what's in the works, and if you judge the future by what was made yesterday, you will miss the boat. You seem to be pessimistic and simply hoping for PDAF to take it's time. In reality, you have no idea.

I'll say it again. Mirrorless cannot compete with the focus speed (or tracking) of DSLRS. What happens in 2, 5, 25 years time is totally irrelevant. Right now, this they cannot compete. So people who want that will keep buying DSLRs rather than mirroless systems. Pretty simple.

Mirrorless is getting closer, but if size and bulk isn't a factor, a DSLR is a much better tool for pretty much everything and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Im sure you can't see it, but i guess Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Sony, and Samsung do. Not to mention Canon

Well they certainly want it to, but looking at sales figure. Nope, not yet, and not for a loooong time (if ever)

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

I dumped my DSLR 3 years ago for a mirrorless system and couldn't be happier; but to think the best mirrorless competes with the best DSLRs is absurd. I just don't get why people even bother.

Is this what "fanboy" means?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to PerL, 11 months ago

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

How long does the battery last if you leave the EVF in "always on" mode?

Good point. That will ALWAYS be an advantage for OVF.

And you have the DR issue.

That should improve with time, but is a restriction. Of course the "exposure" can be shifted in the EVF so although it can't be seen at once, it can be "slid" back and forth.

And lets see how well the AF-C works. I think this is the third or fourth time the term "the world fastest AF" is used with a new EVF based camera.

Agreed. I am optimistically hopeful. The samples Rico posted look pretty convincing.

Are you referring to these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157640158298025/

I would want to see something more challenging, more like these samples.

Any camera could get those.

It's more about the rate of keepers and the reliability and ease in getting the shots. Random photos of something in motion really doesn't mean jack.

There is a reason you don't see mirrorless cameras at the olympics, or soccer games etc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to PerL, 11 months ago

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

How long does the battery last if you leave the EVF in "always on" mode?

Good point. That will ALWAYS be an advantage for OVF.

And you have the DR issue.

That should improve with time, but is a restriction. Of course the "exposure" can be shifted in the EVF so although it can't be seen at once, it can be "slid" back and forth.

And lets see how well the AF-C works. I think this is the third or fourth time the term "the world fastest AF" is used with a new EVF based camera.

Agreed. I am optimistically hopeful. The samples Rico posted look pretty convincing.

Are you referring to these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157640158298025/

I would want to see something more challenging, more like these samples.

You bet. The D4 and D800e would fair well.

Will the X-T1? Only time will tell. I certainly hope so. I'll buy one if it does.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to Emacs23, 11 months ago

Emacs23 wrote:

Standalone camera sales in its decline. They lost 10% of sales in 2013. I'm sure they will lose even more in 2014. So, I would not be so optimistic, especially about Nikon's future, which seems to be dark.

The day a mirrorless camera maker produces $1 in profit will be the FIRST time one has ever done so.  Nikon makes enormous profits selling cameras, as does Canon.

I'm no fan of SLR's.  I can't see myself ever buying a Canon or Nikon SLR.  Yet I wont ignore facts, unlike the religious natured people here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

stimpy wrote:

There is a reason you don't see mirrorless cameras at the olympics, or soccer games etc

Yep. My X100 can't track a moving bicycle puttering along slowly on the street. Nor can my Fujifilm X10.  Its autofocus is even worse.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,725
Like?
Re: Always on and DR for example
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

stimpy wrote:

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

PerL wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Sure there will be naysayers.

But I really believe that the mirrorless camera will replace the DSLR (eventually).

First, the EVF will get better and better and better and better. Eventually, it will be like looking through the lens like an OVF only better. Is it there yet, no. But the X-T1 is one step closer.

.005 second lag. Surely, that looks live.

.77x view with 38 degree diagonal view.

Secondly, AF-C 8 fps predictive auto focus that works. (Well it sure appears to)

This is still one shooting demand that normally makes me grab the DSLR. I am hopeful the X-T1 really does take over this need.

So what is left...

Well, you tell me.

How long does the battery last if you leave the EVF in "always on" mode?

Good point. That will ALWAYS be an advantage for OVF.

And you have the DR issue.

That should improve with time, but is a restriction. Of course the "exposure" can be shifted in the EVF so although it can't be seen at once, it can be "slid" back and forth.

And lets see how well the AF-C works. I think this is the third or fourth time the term "the world fastest AF" is used with a new EVF based camera.

Agreed. I am optimistically hopeful. The samples Rico posted look pretty convincing.

Are you referring to these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/sets/72157640158298025/

I would want to see something more challenging, more like these samples.

Any camera could get those.

Nope. These from test series with AF-C on Nikon D300s and Canon 7D shot with 70-200 2.8 lenses at 7 vs 8 fps.

It's more about the rate of keepers and the reliability and ease in getting the shots. Random photos of something in motion really doesn't mean jack.

Yes, but these are not random, they are from series with high hit rates. For instance the motocross bikes are from a 10-15 image sequence.

There is a reason you don't see mirrorless cameras at the olympics, or soccer games etc

Yes, I fully agree. That is why I am skeptical about the new Fujis capability until I have seen many more samples.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Mirroless can't compete with the focus speed of DSLRs yet, I believe one day they will, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon,

How can you say this? A matter of days ago, nobody could have predicted the new Fuji with this kind of EVF, other than Fuji connected people of course. It just hit us, bam!! How do you know somebody else won't do the same with on sensor PDAF? You have no idea what's in the works, and if you judge the future by what was made yesterday, you will miss the boat. You seem to be pessimistic and simply hoping for PDAF to take it's time. In reality, you have no idea.

I'll say it again. Mirrorless cannot compete with the focus speed (or tracking) of DSLRS. What happens in 2, 5, 25 years time is totally irrelevant. Right now, this they cannot compete. So people who want that will keep buying DSLRs rather than mirroless systems. Pretty simple.

Mirrorless is getting closer, but if size and bulk isn't a factor, a DSLR is a much better tool for pretty much everything and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Im sure you can't see it, but i guess Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Sony, and Samsung do. Not to mention Canon

Well they certainly want it to, but looking at sales figure. Nope, not yet, and not for a loooong time (if ever)

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

I dumped my DSLR 3 years ago for a mirrorless system and couldn't be happier; but to think the best mirrorless competes with the best DSLRs is absurd. I just don't get why people even bother.

Is this what "fanboy" means?

Stimpy,

This thread is about the future.

The is NO DOUBT about the present. That is why I have a D4 and a D800e.

BUT, to be honest, the sensors in DSLRs have gotten so good that there is really no reason to upgrade. The 36mp of the D800e is as much resolution as I will EVER need. I can print as big as I want with it. The low light and durability of the D3s was the pinnacle. The D4 added 4mp but not much else.

The APS-C mirrorless cameras are not even close. But even you agree, they will be. Slowly, but surely, the gap between DSLR and mirrorless is closing. That is a certainty. There will eventually be an APS-C sensor that is as good as the D4 or D800e is today. (In my opinion, as good as is EVER needed).

Computers reached this point about 5 years ago. Unless one is doing very specialized tasks, they are more than most people need.

There are features that WILL catch up.

I think there are others that may NEVER catch up.

This thread was supposed to be about identifying those features.

Some have done so already.

Do you have some to add?

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads