The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....
7 months ago

The XT-1 is basically what I would love to see Pentax do. Mirrorless with an excellent EVF. APS-C would be just fine but FF would be even better.

I keep telling myself to wait and see what Pentax comes out with this year. Am I in for a good surprise or am I missing the Fuji boat?

For reference I have a K-5, K-01, Q, AND Fuji X100. I love Pentax, and feel like waiting to see what is in store this year but the XT-1 is darn near perfect.

Thoughts? Friendly advice or rumors of what this year may bring for Pentaxians?

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q +13 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,154Gear list
Like?
Next for Pentax is to be Pentax
In reply to sgtsween, 7 months ago

The XT-1 is basically what I would love to see Pentax do. Mirrorless with an excellent EVF. APS-C would be just fine but FF would be even better.

I keep telling myself to wait and see what Pentax comes out with this year. Am I in for a good surprise or am I missing the Fuji boat?

For reference I have a K-5, K-01, Q, AND Fuji X100. I love Pentax, and feel like waiting to see what is in store this year but the XT-1 is darn near perfect.

Already talked about it here thousands of times.
All K-mount lenses would be wasted then and new lenses made for a new mirrorless mount.
Pentax will never do that.

On the other hand, a proposition you ask for offers an ultimate irony; for Fujifilm clearly wanted a camera that looks like a DSLR and handles like one, (and no doubt, that sells like a DSLR) and you want a mirrorless camera that doesn't act like a DSLR and doesn't use existing lenses.

Let's leave this aside as no agreeable conclusion is possible. Let Pentax do what Pentax does best, and let Fujifilm continue whatever suits them.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ayoh
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: The Fuji XT-1 is out, and it's making me wonder what's next for Pentax....

sgtsween wrote:

Fuji camera seem impressive on paper but have you actually used one? The XE-1 for instance has irritating slow and inconsistent AF, laggy and stuttering EVF in moderate light which also pixalates significantly during AF, loud shutter, slow recording speed, no ability to shoot RAW files above 6400 ISO, poor battery life, weak flash, flimsy controls and SD card cover... I could go on.

Usability issues such as these do not seem to come across in the reviews and are lost in the hype of the admittedly attractive retro design of the cameras, and the quality Jpeg files.

Based on my negative experience with not Fuji paying attention to the details, I doubt the XT-1 addresses all these camera issues at once.

Their marketing department sure is ambitious - worlds fastest AF? ..yeah right.

howieb101
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
In reply to Ayoh, 7 months ago

Well I doubt it's going to be a mirrorless APS-C.  It's either going to be a full frame DSLR or maybe full frame mirrorless.

I cannot imagine a new lens mount to support unless they scaled back to Q to only be for Asia (the Q doesn't seem to sell well anywhere else).

I don't believe they have enough reosurces for multiple lens mounts.  They struggle bringing new lenses to market as it is.  I'm a pretty loyal Pentaxian but new lenses are not a strength of Pentax/Ricoh, atleast not historically.

Howie B

sgtsween
Like?
Re: Next for Pentax is to be Pentax
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 7 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Already talked about it here thousands of times.
All K-mount lenses would be wasted then and new lenses made for a new mirrorless mount.
Pentax will never do that.

On the other hand, a proposition you ask for offers an ultimate irony; for Fujifilm clearly wanted a camera that looks like a DSLR and handles like one, (and no doubt, that sells like a DSLR) and you want a mirrorless camera that doesn't act like a DSLR and doesn't use existing lenses.

Let's leave this aside as no agreeable conclusion is possible. Let Pentax do what Pentax does best, and let Fujifilm continue whatever suits them.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Thank you for your opinion.

sgtsween
Like?

Ayoh wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

Fuji camera seem impressive on paper but have you actually used one? The XE-1 for instance has irritating slow and inconsistent AF, laggy and stuttering EVF in moderate light which also pixalates significantly during AF, loud shutter, slow recording speed, no ability to shoot RAW files above 6400 ISO, poor battery life, weak flash, flimsy controls and SD card cover... I could go on.

Usability issues such as these do not seem to come across in the reviews and are lost in the hype of the admittedly attractive retro design of the cameras, and the quality Jpeg files.

Based on my negative experience with not Fuji paying attention to the details, I doubt the XT-1 addresses all these camera issues at once.

Their marketing department sure is ambitious - worlds fastest AF? ..yeah right.

I have an X100 and I love it. A bit quirky before the most recent FW upgrade, but still a great camera. And the X-E1/2 and X-Pro 1 are light years ahead in AF/EVF respects.

You mention JPEGs and I will say that while Fuji has excellent JPEGs I get more out of Pentax raw files than I do out of Fuji.

For me it boils down to size and IQ. At the end of the day I am a loyal Pentax user and have been for over 10 years. And the IQ I get from my K-5 and K-01 makes me happy. I Just love the smaller form factor of my X100, and think I personally would like a Pentax that was similar in some respects to the XT-1. I had heard the rumor about an MX like mirrorless coming out one day? That would be the bees knees to me.

sgtsween
Like?
In reply to howieb101, 7 months ago

Thank you for the insight. FF mirrorless sounds awesome. FF DSL-R would be outstanding, too as I know Pentax would make it somewhat compact and rugged as a tank. Your post gives me hope! (fingers crossed for FF mirrorless)

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,271Gear list
Like?

Buy what is available today, and not what is rumored. I like Pentax but at the same time I am glad I didn't wait for them to release what I wanted (would still be waiting).

Fuji has some of the best lenses in the market and a very promising line up. Do they offer today what you want out of the system? All your Pentax lenses can of course be used manually with adapters.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?

I obviously haven't seen a Fuji XT1 in the hand or any images yet, but I agree that it seems to offer great design.  They've really got a lot right.  I will buy a mirror-less camera sooner or later for travel but I'm waiting and watching and sitting on the fence at the moment.  All I can say is that there are some very good designs coming out  There's probably never been such choice - it's a good time to be a photographer.

Should Pentax offer another mirror-less and should it be like the XT1?  I don't know.  A lot of people here have debated what they might do, and those threads have covered speculation about staying with APSC DSLRs, going FF in both DSLR and mirror-less, and a few other ideas too.  No-one here really knows and Pentax are tight-lipped about their future.  Personally I think they'll have to offer APSC and FF in DSLR designs and eventually mirror-less too.  They were stung by the K01 experience, but perhaps we'll see them re-enter the mirror-less market later this year - they need something to replace the GXR.

Regards, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
sgtsween
Like?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Buy what is available today, and not what is rumored. I like Pentax but at the same time I am glad I didn't wait for them to release what I wanted (would still be waiting).

Fuji has some of the best lenses in the market and a very promising line up. Do they offer today what you want out of the system? All your Pentax lenses can of course be used manually with adapters.

Eric

I've thought about this. Getting a K to X adaptor for the 8 or so k mount lenses I have. Some of them are MF anways. From what I hear the focus peaking on the XT-1 was implemented really well. Definitely a factor in my decision. As others have noted I'm not sure waiting for a similar product from Pentax would be fruitful as I guess the K mount is not suited for a mirrorless with a compact (thin) body (see K-01, which I have and love.)

sgtsween
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 7 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

I obviously haven't seen a Fuji XT1 in the hand or any images yet, but I agree that it seems to offer great design. They've really got a lot right. I will buy a mirror-less camera sooner or later for travel but I'm waiting and watching and sitting on the fence at the moment. All I can say is that there are some very good designs coming out There's probably never been such choice - it's a good time to be a photographer.

Should Pentax offer another mirror-less and should it be like the XT1? I don't know. A lot of people here have debated what they might do, and those threads have covered speculation about staying with APSC DSLRs, going FF in both DSLR and mirror-less, and a few other ideas too. No-one here really knows and Pentax are tight-lipped about their future. Personally I think they'll have to offer APSC and FF in DSLR designs and eventually mirror-less too. They were stung by the K01 experience, but perhaps we'll see them re-enter the mirror-less market later this year - they need something to replace the GXR.

Regards, Rod

It's a shame about the K-01 as I finally got one for a steal and I love it. For some reason I feel I get better results IQ wise than my K-5. I am a big fan of mirrorless, so I'd be interested in any APS-C or FF mirrorless that Pentax might put out (have the Q, too.)

I think part of my posting this and lots of the searching I do online is to figure out if I should stick with what I have or go with Fuji (have the X100 already.) It might be smart to wait until at least Photokina to figure it all out.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

Why Pentax? They're a traditional SLR brand...

If you're looking for an X-T1, go for it (but you haven't missed the Fuji boat, since it was barely announced)

More DSLR products.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Lars Holte
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

dpreview seems to want to compare the Fuji X-T1 to DSLRs like Pentax K-3, and I can see where they are going with that. To some degree it seems a valid comparison. Physically, there is a resemblance. There is even a "mirror housing".

What are the advantages of the Fuji X-T1? First and foremost more compact and nearly half the weight. However, these two advantages will mean less when combined with long or heavy lenses. Combined with small primes it could be a quite light-weight and compact package, but then the mirror housing seems an odd choice that ruin some of the compactness.

And the disadvantages: much poorer viewfinder and probably some small lag.

If you use the comparometer and put the X-T1 next to the K-3, the K-3 seems a much better option - at least to me.

-- hide signature --

Lars H

Lars Holte's gear list:Lars Holte's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,094Gear list
Like?

Ayoh wrote:

Usability issues such as these do not seem to come across in the reviews.

+1

Reading between the lines, it seems that usability is also going to be an issue with the XT-1. Otherwise it looks rather promising.

-- hide signature --
sgtsween
Like?
In reply to Lars Holte, 7 months ago

Lars Holte wrote:

dpreview seems to want to compare the Fuji X-T1 to DSLRs like Pentax K-3, and I can see where they are going with that. To some degree it seems a valid comparison. Physically, there is a resemblance. There is even a "mirror housing".

What are the advantages of the Fuji X-T1? First and foremost more compact and nearly half the weight. However, these two advantages will mean less when combined with long or heavy lenses. Combined with small primes it could be a quite light-weight and compact package, but then the mirror housing seems an odd choice that ruin some of the compactness.

If you use the comparometer and put the X-T1 next to the K-3, the K-3 seems a much better option - at least to me.

-- hide signature --

Lars H

Great point about how compact advatnage diminishes with larger lenses. I guess I'm basing my Fuji experiance with the fixed lens X-100. XT-1 might be small, sure, but not "pocketable" or even compact with a larger lens. And as much as I like EVFs, it can't really compare to OVF. And I have yet to experiance the K-3's (larger?) viewfinder. Points go to Pentax with this argument.

sgtsween
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 7 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

If you're looking for an X-T1, go for it (but you haven't missed the Fuji boat, since it was barely announced)

More DSLR products.

Alex

Good points, but why can't they do both? Neither the Q nor the K-01 look like traditional SLR's to me. This may sound completely absurd, but if Pentax released a Q lookalike with EVF and APS-C or FF sensor I'd be smitten. I do ove the Marc Newson "brick" though.

At the end of the day I get the most control with my K-5, though soooooo.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

sgtsween wrote:

More DSLR products.

Alex

Good points, but why can't they do both? Neither the Q nor the K-01 look like traditional SLR's to me. This may sound completely absurd, but if Pentax released a Q lookalike with EVF and APS-C or FF sensor I'd be smitten. I do ove the Marc Newson "brick" though.

I don't think they have the capacity to work on the K-mount, and launch a 4th mount (camera plus lenses). They're a small camera manufacturer, yet they have more mounts than any other.

The K-01 is K-mount, and the Q is some short of interchangeable lens compact (they probably outsourced some stuff, e.g the toy lenses to make things easier)

At the end of the day I get the most control with my K-5, though soooooo.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Lars Holte
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

sgtsween wrote:

Lars Holte wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lars H

Great point about how compact advatnage diminishes with larger lenses. I guess I'm basing my Fuji experiance with the fixed lens X-100. XT-1 might be small, sure, but not "pocketable" or even compact with a larger lens. And as much as I like EVFs, it can't really compare to OVF. And I have yet to experiance the K-3's (larger?) viewfinder. Points go to Pentax with this argument.

Another major disadvantage: poor battery capacity. Of course you can compensate for that by adding the optional battery grip, but then the idea of compactness and small size suffers even more. No - I can't exactly see the point of mirrorless in such a package.

-- hide signature --

Lars H

Lars Holte's gear list:Lars Holte's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
sgtsween
Like?
In reply to Lars Holte, 7 months ago

Good point. I was amazed at how long the battery in my K-5 lasted when I got it (moving from an Oly EPL-1. And the battery grip does eliminate the advantage of size. I would just opt for carry 2 or 3 spares as I do with my X100. I assume that if you use it EVF only and don't chimp a whole lot the XT-1 battery should do a decent job, but probably not the 900 or so shots I can get with my K-5.

A note on battery capacity - I took a good 450 shots this weekend with my K-01 and the battery was still fine when I got home. Big battery, though.

andy amos
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 7 months ago

I own a Q and K7. The Q is so small and probably has one of the most comprehensive controls of any "compact interchangable lens" system out there. The K7, like the K3, is a die-hard design refusing to get rid of the top LCD display which is effectively a digital version of the current in-vogue dials. Combining the two one way or another doesn't seem too far fetched. Making a Q camera with an EVF would answer a quest by many, especially those of us with ageing eyes. On the other hand a K3 with dials would be a DF killer and would be a mirrored alternative to the ever increasing number EVF competition. For one, the battery would last several times longer than the rest! What I don't see is a Pentax KAF-FF-EVF, it would be too mainstream in the current market, which Pentax is not.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads