How do i edit this

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
isotope
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
How do i edit this
11 months ago

Hi All,

How do i edit this picture. The foreground is way too dark and the background is way too light. I use LR 4.0. only. Its in RAW format.

Thanx for the help,

PTMD

Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,394Gear list
Like?
Re: How do i edit this
In reply to isotope, 11 months ago

Highlights and shadows, aka, recovery and fill. However, the problem should have been caught during setup. The subject never should have been posed that way in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikes
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,023
Like?

Mask the area first, copy to a new layer, adjust exposure.......

Maask

sotope wrote:

Hi All,

How do i edit this picture. The foreground is way too dark and the background is way too light. I use LR 4.0. only. Its in RAW format.

Thanx for the help,

PTMD

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?

Here is something I put together using LR and PS. I know you only have LR but I could help but use more. I used a good bit of it with the NIK software too.

Isotope and family.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,214
Like?

Here is my version, using PSPX5:

Regards......Allen

Steve Throndson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622
Like?

isotope,

LR 4 - is that Lightroom?  If it has Adobe Camera Raw, you could start like this with your raw file . . .

(this screen shot is ACR in Photoshop CS-5)

Hope this helps.

Felixography
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?

Hope this is what you want.

tony brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303
Like?

Having the RAW file, it's better if you can post that as all you give is the jpeg.

Could do better with Raw but here's my version:-

Used HDR programme and ACR to get four version of the image suited to each problem area and mixed them with layers and masks.

Cheers, Tony.

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

isotope wrote:

Hi All,

Thanx for the help,

PTMD

I believe LR4 uses the same 2012 Process as PSE11. Here are my settings in PSE11 for the image below: Contrast -11, Hightlights & Whites -100, Shadows +100, Blacks +17, Clarity +15, Vibrance +50.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434
Like?

I don't have Lightroom. Just playing. Done with Elements.

-- hide signature --

Claude

isotope
Like?
In reply to asoftwind, 11 months ago

this is awesome... thank you everyone for providing your inputs...

quick questions..

how do i mask? or layer? in Lightroom 4.0.

isotope
Like?
In reply to Victor Engel, 11 months ago

Victor Engel wrote:

Highlights and shadows, aka, recovery and fill. However, the problem should have been caught during setup. The subject never should have been posed that way in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

this was a random picture... and plus i am only a photo enthusiast, by no means a professional.

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

isotope wrote:

this is awesome... thank you everyone for providing your inputs...

quick questions..

how do i mask? or layer? in Lightroom 4.0

Lightroom does not do Layers. You need the full Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for Layers. But it is really not necessary to fix this shot. Just use the exposure settings I gave you in the earlier post.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Victor Engel
Like?

isotope wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

this was a random picture... and plus i am only a photo enthusiast, by no means a professional.

Yeah, I tried answering generically. Also, your last point is why I moved the thread to this forum, where it will likely get more appropriate replies (my last point in my first reply is the type of reply you would likely get in Pro Digital Talk, where you originally posted). Just be aware that people in this forum often like to show their treatment without explanation, and some of the treatments leave something to be desired.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?

isotope wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Good advice from Victor.You don't have to be a professional but as an enthusiast you should get into a habit of routinely using a burst of fill flash in daylight situations like this. I see to too many people relying on a post shoot fix, not good and takes more time yeah ? 

Victor Engel
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 11 months ago

Dareshooter wrote:

isotope wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Good advice from Victor.You don't have to be a professional but as an enthusiast you should get into a habit of routinely using a burst of fill flash in daylight situations like this. I see to too many people relying on a post shoot fix, not good and takes more time yeah ?

If you look carefully at the photo, I think you may agree that there was fill flash in that shot. It just wasn't enough.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?

Always interesting to see how much you can save with modern cameras so long as you're willing to accept that the final result won't be the equal of a correct exposure.

Split the original image in 8 stop masks, lifted each stop individually, merged to one image. Some selective blurring and local contrast. Finally a slight blue channel desaturation for 60's Cuban poster look.

donNico
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

Some playing in PS, no extra plugins.

a5519
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
My try

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?
In reply to Victor Engel, 11 months ago

Victor Engel wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

isotope wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

If you look carefully at the photo, I think you may agree that there was fill flash in that shot. It just wasn't enough.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

You could be right Victor, a few speckled highlights here and there but they may have been reflected from elsewhere as there's a lot  of light coming from the right. I guess the OP knows for sure though .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads