Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Re: No Walt, the topic is A mount...
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

WaltKnapp wrote:

Alan_S wrote:

WaltKnapp wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

There was only One Titanic... there are hundreds of thousands of A mount users and gear out there. I dont think they are about to bail on all those that represent brand loyalty.

They bailed on a700 and a900. It would be more a case of another repeat rather than a first time. Brand loyalty buys you nothing with Sony.

...sorry Walt, but the topic of this thread is A-mount, not your well-documented preference OVF/flipping mirror. The OP actually stated"I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not."

The topic is what is happening to A mount, that includes it's history. Because the history contains where Sony is going.

OK, re-write the topic of the OP, what ever suits you to engage in the endless crying about OVF/EVF.

The Alpha 700 and Alpha 900 were both excellent A mount cameras that are still excellent cameras and were also ALPHAs.

Yep, I owned an a700 and an a850, which I considered to be the replacement for the a700...

Even if you wish to belittle the most used advanced camera design, the DSLR with it's OVF

Haven't belittled the design, only the years of tears over it's evolution...

is what most pros use most of the time,

Is that the criteria you use to judge what's the best equipment, Walt ?

not cameras that are evolving to imitate cell phone cameras.

Who is doing the belittling (of SLT/EVF) now??

Had you paid attention

...more condescension; oh well, I guess I really didn't expect any better. Years ago (8 or 10) I looked up to your wisdom and even sought it out a few times. But, you've really gone sour over the technological evolution; haven't seen a positive post from you in years. I just don't understand all the negativity. You and I have both been at this a long time, coming to A-mount via Minolta film days. Throughout all these years (decades!) I still see the glass half full, with lots of opportunity ahead, while you're seeing the glass emptied out squeezing every last drop out of a pile of a700's, refusing to accept the advancement of change (not knocking them, fantastic tools, I had a great run with mine! ...then I moved on).

My whole point for posting is, I'm not looking/needing to upgrade for the foreseeable future, but when I do, and if the sky really comes crashing down on the Sony A-mount SLR/T that we know today (as you doom/gloomers predict)... if worst case scenario is popping on an E-mount adapter to keep using all that great Minolta/Sony G/CZ glass on an advanced mirrorless, higher-MP, cleaner IQ system (that will evolve from this already quite advanced a7/a7r)... so what??? Can you imagine getting mirrorless 36+MP with clean higher ISO, compared to the a700 (eliminates your crop factor issue with FF shooting wildlife, and then some)? With the same lenses you own now??? That really sounds like a tragic conclusion to hypothesize over and cry about .... or does it?

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

 Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
May be selling in India, but not Japan.
In reply to K E Hoffman, 8 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up... I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

Sony may be selling in India, but recent data shows the Japanese are not buying Sony DSLR/SLT's.  In that category Sony lost market share in 2013 - in fact, they fell out of third place.  They even lost ground in the Compact camera category.  This data is only for Japan, but I would expect the Japanese to be pretty savvy camera buyers.

Anyone expecting Sony to displace Canon or Nikon in market share better start worrying more about the "also ran's" because it is starting to look like Sony has a better chance at 4th or 5th place, than 1st or 2nd.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Allegence is with rational assements ...I owe Sony nothing
In reply to digitalshooter, 8 months ago

Only Sony PC is an old small palm top my wife stopped using 5 years ago.

Never owned a Sony TV.. in 1986 I had a Sony CRT for my Amiga PC..

This has to do with being honest about the facts.

I like these cameras. I liked my KM5D.. when it was that company.. I like that in many ways I can still see some of that in my A77 but its much better.

I hate negativity that is designed to spoil what should be a general enjoyment of the hobby and the current system..

But there is a ton of  2+2 = -1 thinking around here that is frustrating.. like what started this thread

User has a nice system.. really nice.. but is now not enjoying it.. he is worried.. Why because..

people here ignore the facts and do useless comparisons between a consumer camera play in a new segment that Nikon and Canon wish they had figured out well.   If Sony had not done the e-mount systems.. and NEX.. the imaging division would be in a whole lot of hurt..

And yet people take a smart move and create worry in new users and chase off potential users..

A young excited photography person.. on the net looking for a great camera..

Google.. what this most of top links are post on DPreview.com.. cool lets go learn..

And what do they see.. "Sony's Titanic"   "A-mount doomed..

I wonder why they don't consider Sony when one of the top viewed camera sites has so much doom and gloom, not from Nikon users or Canon users but Sony users who love to stand in a circular firing squad..

digitalshooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,720
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to EvilOne, 8 months ago

EvilOne wrote:

My suggestion would be sell all your Sony stuff and Old Minolta stuff and then maybe with an additional 5 grand you will be happy with a New Canon system and won't have to bitch about the horrible choice you made staying with Sony. And I'M betting half of your A mount stuff is collecting dust in the closet and you use one camera and a few lenses. Unloading the Amount stuff should be a big load off your shoulders. At least all the negatives about them should be gone and you can go over to Canon with a clean sheet of paper./ And have fun with your photography for the rest of your life because Canon isn't going anywhere. Why continue to put yourself through this torment?

Your loss on the Sony stuff should be offset by all the fun you had with their equipment. after all 5 grand is a drop in the bucket today. it represent a one week trip to Disney for your family. I spent ten grand last year taking my family ( 9 people to Disney ).

BTW I am not being sarcastic in my suggestion. What's the use of bitching about something that you can fix by throwing a little money at it.. Personally , I don't expect to be around next year, so I don't have to worry about what Sony will do. But I expect they will be around for a long time.

I dumped my old stuff, even some of the older digital stuff like the RD175 into the dumpster as part of cleaning up after the fire.  Perfectly good equipment, most of it for film, of no value now. It was kind of a odd and painful experience, but the equipment had served me well and was just occupying space. There is no old stuff collecting dust in my closets now.  I'm down to my current operating system, all of which I do use.  In fact on most forays I have along three Alpha 700s, plus the Sony HX300 and a dozen or more lenses that get used as needed.  Yes there are a few backup things, has to be if working with unsupported equipment. But it's far less than the active stuff.

You must be one of those 1% ers, with all that money to throw around.  Well, I don't have all that money, even $5000 to spend is not there let alone the actual amount it would take to replace my high end system with another brand. Even replacing lost workshop equipment will still be going on for a few years, very limited by money availability.  Like is true of virtually all the population. We don't get to eat cake! And it's certainly time not to help the 1% folks steal more from us either.

And we don't like Disney or other such amusement parks anyway, they are awful.  That would be the last place we would go.  A waste of money for us.

I do expect to be around next year, though in a decade or two it will end for me.  Meanwhile my fun list is longer than many lifetimes, won't get to a fraction of it.  Even if I had money to throw at it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

WaltKnapp wrote:

Been thinking about who might buy A-mount from Sony, they are showing less interest in it than Minolta did in the end. There are a number of photography equipment companies who could do a lot with it.

That is just not true.. and you know it..

Minolta released TWO digital bodies. TWO.  a-mount had for years supported faster quieter focusing technology in its lenses.. how many did they make to use it.. about 3? 4?.. all costing over $1500..

When I first started reading this board.. there was all the moaning about missed rumor dates on the new KM D9 or D7 update that had detailed rumors about it.. Never came.. never saw a body.  And I don't think it was coming.. KM after the 5D was out shopping its camera tech to sell it.

Sony has 4 current bodies listed on their site..  They have released a Dozen or more including FF in the last 8 years .. There are nearly 3 dozen lenses and there are faster, quitter focusing offerings from top to bottom of the system.

The one place Sony pulled back from and I understand your personal frustration.. is they removed that Macro Flash. I get that LED does not match a good Xenon...  But trimming some specialize products is not showing less interest in the mount its less interest in something you love to shoot.. I understand that reaction.. but don't pretend that is "the mount"

I know you hate the idea of the EVF.. have you spent any real time with an A77.. more than dealer touches..

In April I am scheduled to be back at my regular work contract. If that happens as planned. I would be willing to buy you an A77.. to try.. you can send it back to me and I will take the hit on selling it.. or you can keep it and make payments to me that fit your current cash flow no interest.. etc.

as much as we fight.. I like your photography. When you show it here.. . and I seriously believe that if your judgment is based on a few minutes only other EVFs.. and you had it longer  You might like it.

Honest offer Walt..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe M.
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Re: No, its their Pro Series Mount
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

Is it possible Sony will discontinue the A-Mount, Yes.  But the question you have to ask yourself is this.  Is it in Sony's best interest to do so?  NO.  They would not shoot themselves in the foot by doing that.  Hell they already angered many because the change to the Flash Shoe from the Minolta Flash Mount. Me included.

They haven't announced anything yet.  They stated numerous times that they are behind the A-mount.  They are changing to Mirrorless which is fine.   We know that, so they are going to come out with a A-Mount Mirror Less Camera.  Maybe something technical is holding them back for whatever reason they will eventually announce something.  Right now most of Sony's gear is still ahead of the competitors, in my opinion.  So they figure they have time to R&D and come up with something great.  I remember when this all happened when the A700 wasn't being announced and a lot of Minolta people wanted a true Pro-sumer camera like their 7000 series.  Well Sony did eventually announce the A700 and it came out.  But the forums were lit up with the same paranoia about Sony abandoning the A-mount then.  When they announced the NEX line the forums started it again about no more A-mount.  Now that we are transitioning into the Mirrorless camera systems, we here it again.

My point is to sit back and relax use your Sony's A series cameras and be happy.  Buy a lens if you need it.  Get out and Take some Photos.

IMHO

Thanks

Joe

 Joe M.'s gear list:Joe M.'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,720
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to nandbytes, 8 months ago

nandbytes wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

ZA 50mm... 70-200 and 70-400... a99 and a77

I count $10k worth of stuff, and I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. I'm baffled. I don't get how someone can spend that kind of money and then look here for reassurance.

And one would expect some amount of longevity too for that kind of money. At least 5 years? maybe 8-10?

For all their equipment Sony only guarantees supplying parts for 7 years from the date of last manufacture of that model. It's not forever. Those lenses are probably the older models and thus no longer in manufacture, at least the 70-200 and 70-400, so the clock is already ticking down.

Of course one can shoot with something that might quit shooting with no way to repair in the next shot.  But then it pays to have a plan that backs up that equipment.  And that means being aware of the state of play of new equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to contax4ever, 8 months ago

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

You realize Sony has not imbedded anything in your equipment that will render it inoperable if they no longer produce the A line? Your hardware will still function. There is no Sony end user agreement that forces you to sell your equipment and purchase a Canikon.

Seriously.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

 MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

You realize Sony has not imbedded anything in your equipment that will render it inoperable if they no longer produce the A line? Your hardware will still function. There is no Sony end user agreement that forces you to sell your equipment and purchase a Canikon.

Seriously.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

Are you sure MrChristopher??...oh wait we are talking Sony not Apple

Silver

 Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,720
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to K E Hoffman, 8 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

as much as we fight.. I like your photography. When you show it here.. . and I seriously believe that if your judgment is based on a few minutes only other EVFs.. and you had it longer You might like it.

Honest offer Walt..

Just like the rest of your misrepresentation of me and what I think in your pile of Sony fanboy posts you have extensively misrepresented me on EVF.

I did not just wonder into a dealer's and do a few casual shots.  When I've checked each new EVF I've researched the information available about it extensively and I've specifically tested it's abilities to work on the shots I do as well as general shooting. Often, repeatedly, with other photographers that have the equipment. It keeps not catching up with OVF, and because i understand the limitations of the design I'm not expecting that it will, but I still check.  I'm not talking about things I already know how to do well, like exposure or MF, where for some it's been a saver as they never put the effort into the learning on those things.  That's what EVF development has been about for me, unneeded options.

Even so, I do use EVF routinely, where it can be used.  I've a perfectly good HX300 bridge camera that is EVF and I can get good shots with it,  I can get around it's EVF foibles, the camera is more a limitation than it's EVF though it produces very good shots, some of which Sony E or A mount cameras can't reach.  That extra long reach of it's excellent Zeiss zoom is part of that.

There is so little interest in photography here I moved on to places where folks more like to see what I shoot.  That is why I don't post photos here much.  There are more appropriate places.

I'm actually only wandering in here now because of the Tamron 150-600 lens coming out. Looking around a bunch of places about that, but looking around while here. (actually the Nikon and Canon groups have more intelligent discussions about the technology of that lens) This is not on my first list of internet reading anymore. I assume you will celebrate that. Only want folks that toe your line

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

WaltKnapp wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

My suggestion would be sell all your Sony stuff and Old Minolta stuff and then maybe with an additional 5 grand you will be happy with a New Canon system and won't have to bitch about the horrible choice you made staying with Sony. And I'M betting half of your A mount stuff is collecting dust in the closet and you use one camera and a few lenses. Unloading the Amount stuff should be a big load off your shoulders. At least all the negatives about them should be gone and you can go over to Canon with a clean sheet of paper./ And have fun with your photography for the rest of your life because Canon isn't going anywhere. Why continue to put yourself through this torment?

Your loss on the Sony stuff should be offset by all the fun you had with their equipment. after all 5 grand is a drop in the bucket today. it represent a one week trip to Disney for your family. I spent ten grand last year taking my family ( 9 people to Disney ).

BTW I am not being sarcastic in my suggestion. What's the use of bitching about something that you can fix by throwing a little money at it.. Personally , I don't expect to be around next year, so I don't have to worry about what Sony will do. But I expect they will be around for a long time.

I dumped my old stuff, even some of the older digital stuff like the RD175 into the dumpster as part of cleaning up after the fire. Perfectly good equipment, most of it for film, of no value now. It was kind of a odd and painful experience, but the equipment had served me well and was just occupying space. There is no old stuff collecting dust in my closets now. I'm down to my current operating system, all of which I do use. In fact on most forays I have along three Alpha 700s, plus the Sony HX300 and a dozen or more lenses that get used as needed. Yes there are a few backup things, has to be if working with unsupported equipment. But it's far less than the active stuff.

You must be one of those 1% ers, with all that money to throw around. Well, I don't have all that money, even $5000 to spend is not there let alone the actual amount it would take to replace my high end system with another brand. Even replacing lost workshop equipment will still be going on for a few years, very limited by money availability. Like is true of virtually all the population. We don't get to eat cake! And it's certainly time not to help the 1% folks steal more from us either.

And we don't like Disney or other such amusement parks anyway, they are awful. That would be the last place we would go. A waste of money for us.

I do expect to be around next year, though in a decade or two it will end for me. Meanwhile my fun list is longer than many lifetimes, won't get to a fraction of it. Even if I had money to throw at it.

Here is a reality for you Walt.. and some people have already nailed it in this thread about you. Photography at the high end like you claim to be in, is an expensive thing.. You cry about so much insignificant things and I believe you are a selfish man.

I took my Family to Disney because my grandchildren wanted to go, So I took their parents too and of course my wife.. I didn't regret it for one minute.. Hate Disney ? that statement , by it self tells me that you are a self centered individual and if its not about you, it must be about hurting you. I didn't have to go to Disney, or any other place we go, I do it for them more so than for me. It makes " Them " happy, and that makes me happy.

You hang in this forum an drag everyone down with your pessimistic outlook on a Camera Company.

Are you serious? Are you one of those people that was not smart enough in your youth , to prepare for your old age? did you spend every extra penny on Walt and didn't have the forethought to prepare for the future. It seems to me that in reading your post over the last five or six years tha you are a very angry man, only wishing to drag down people who are happy with their Photography.

When you made the decision to stay with the A mount , there were no Guarantees... and now you think that Sony has a personal vendetta against you.

BTW thousands and thousands of people Go to Disney every day.. There must be an awful lot of 1 % out there. I talked with lots of people the least time I was there, and people from all walk of life and financial diversity go there. You Hate Disney ! Indeed.  Its a fun place.. and most weigh the cost against the amount of fun you have there, that's why so many people who go there , return again and a again.

BTW, you are not alone in you opinion on Sony, there are some very obvious Boo Birds out there that shed their tears daily about Sony.. and try to drag the rest of us down.. the bad news is very few are buying what you sell so you come off as a wet blanket every time you post something.

This isn't about a Heart attack or terminal cancer,, its about a freekin camera company. If Sony was to disappear tomorrow, those who have a passion for photography would still continue to have fun with their photography even if they have to start over. If you were not smart enough to prepare for your retirement, in your youth, and live the lifestyle you have become use too while working, then its your stupidity to blame and not Sony. If you cant afford photography now , get out of it and take up checkers, but don't blame Sony or anyone for your short comings. Keep following down this path of negativity and you will die a miserable man.

With as much love as I can gather

Bill aka EO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
Re: May be selling in India, but not Japan.
In reply to digititus, 8 months ago

digititus wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up... I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

Sony may be selling in India, but recent data shows the Japanese are not buying Sony DSLR/SLT's. In that category Sony lost market share in 2013 - in fact, they fell out of third place. They even lost ground in the Compact camera category. This data is only for Japan, but I would expect the Japanese to be pretty savvy camera buyers.

Anyone expecting Sony to displace Canon or Nikon in market share better start worrying more about the "also ran's" because it is starting to look like Sony has a better chance at 4th or 5th place, than 1st or 2nd.

Thats because Sony only released 1 Amount and the A58 was set up for failure.  It was a downgrade from the A57 in almost aspect(Aside from the EVF and sensor).  And the competition, was using Sonys 24MP sensor(D3200/5200)

The A99 also came out at a too high of a price. $2800.  Most of use knew the street price on the A99 wouldnt budge.  When the A99 arrived, you could find a 5D3 and the D800(which uses Sony's 32MP sensor) for less than $2800.  Not only that, the D600(The A99 sensor) and the 6D arrived at much lower prices.

My fear is that these excuses dont amount to a hill of beans in Sony Exec eyes.  They look at it and think.... whoa the last two Alphas flopped, lets put all of our resources in Emounts.

*note, I dont that they flopped, but given the competition and pricing, I dont think they were very successful.

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,720
Like?
Re: No, its their Pro Series Mount
In reply to Joe M., 8 months ago

Joe M. wrote:

Is it possible Sony will discontinue the A-Mount, Yes. But the question you have to ask yourself is this. Is it in Sony's best interest to do so? NO. They would not shoot themselves in the foot by doing that. Hell they already angered many because the change to the Flash Shoe from the Minolta Flash Mount. Me included.

They went right ahead with the flash shoe didn't they.  Seems like angering their customers is not something they care about at all.

And Sony has done plenty of things that were not in their best interest.  I'm sure they will continue that too.

They haven't announced anything yet. They stated numerous times that they are behind the A-mount. They are changing to Mirrorless which is fine. We know that, so they are going to come out with a A-Mount Mirror Less Camera. Maybe something technical is holding them back for whatever reason they will eventually announce something. Right now most of Sony's gear is still ahead of the competitors, in my opinion. So they figure they have time to R&D and come up with something great. I remember when this all happened when the A700 wasn't being announced and a lot of Minolta people wanted a true Pro-sumer camera like their 7000 series. Well Sony did eventually announce the A700 and it came out. But the forums were lit up with the same paranoia about Sony abandoning the A-mount then. When they announced the NEX line the forums started it again about no more A-mount. Now that we are transitioning into the Mirrorless camera systems, we here it again.

Actually you don't know that Sony is going to change to exclusive mirrorless.  That fad has already peaked and they probably have the replacement in the works.

It's questionable about the status of Sony's gear vs competitors.  Or even whatever they are supposed to be ahead in being in their line tomorrow.  Reliability of support is a big issue when the higher end photography takes so long for most of us to accumulate.  And they are behind in that.

My point is to sit back and relax use your Sony's A series cameras and be happy. Buy a lens if you need it. Get out and Take some Photos.

The Global Warming predictions on the news were for spectacular lava flows followed by Noah's floods, so I made sure my batteries were charged, should be some interesting photography there of the end of the world   Unfortunately their predictions were as usual, wrong.  How could they think white frozen stuff was red hot lava and deep water drowning us all?  No we just got what is probably our only day of snow for the year,  and not much of that.  Still I did get out and shoot some photos, by tomorrow it will probably be all gone, we are not in the snow belt.

And I have a pre order in for the Tamron 150-600 A mount lens, when Tamron decides to release that mount.  Will that do for buying a lens.

Otherwise I'm not too good at ignoring what's going on, sorry.  I pay attention and continue my photography with the excellent Sony Alpha abandoned system I have. Amazing doing two separate things at once

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
Re: May be selling in India, but not Japan.
In reply to tqlla, 8 months ago

tqlla wrote:

digititus wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up... I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

Sony may be selling in India, but recent data shows the Japanese are not buying Sony DSLR/SLT's. In that category Sony lost market share in 2013 - in fact, they fell out of third place. They even lost ground in the Compact camera category. This data is only for Japan, but I would expect the Japanese to be pretty savvy camera buyers.

Anyone expecting Sony to displace Canon or Nikon in market share better start worrying more about the "also ran's" because it is starting to look like Sony has a better chance at 4th or 5th place, than 1st or 2nd.

Thats because Sony only released 1 Amount and the A58 was set up for failure. It was a downgrade from the A57 in almost aspect(Aside from the EVF and sensor). And the competition, was using Sonys 24MP sensor(D3200/5200)

The A99 also came out at a too high of a price. $2800. Most of use knew the street price on the A99 wouldnt budge. When the A99 arrived, you could find a 5D3 and the D800(which uses Sony's 32MP sensor) for less than $2800. Not only that, the D600(The A99 sensor) and the 6D arrived at much lower prices.

My fear is that these excuses dont amount to a hill of beans in Sony Exec eyes. They look at it and think.... whoa the last two Alphas flopped, lets put all of our resources in Emounts.

*note, I dont that they flopped, but given the competition and pricing, I dont think they were very successful.

Your points may all be valid, but they just reinforce the fact that Sony seems to have a knack for screwing up.  I think they have their head up someone's aperture (pun intended!)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,191Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

nandbytes wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

ZA 50mm... 70-200 and 70-400... a99 and a77

I count $10k worth of stuff, and I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. I'm baffled. I don't get how someone can spend that kind of money and then look here for reassurance.

And one would expect some amount of longevity too for that kind of money. At least 5 years? maybe 8-10?

For all their equipment Sony only guarantees supplying parts for 7 years from the date of last manufacture of that model. It's not forever. Those lenses are probably the older models and thus no longer in manufacture, at least the 70-200 and 70-400, so the clock is already ticking down.

Of course one can shoot with something that might quit shooting with no way to repair in the next shot.  But then it pays to have a plan that backs up that equipment.  And that means being aware of the state of play of new equipment.

So which manufacturer guarantees supply of parts beyond seven years?

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,241
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

While that is true is still seems pretty dumb to invest in expensive lenses that you may not be able to get new, up to date bodies for in 5-10 years.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
artlmntl
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
That was a very generous offer.
In reply to K E Hoffman, 8 months ago

Most unexpected! Good on you for doing that.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Re: May be selling in India, but not Japan.
In reply to digititus, 8 months ago

digititus wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

digitalshooter wrote:

Waiting to be taken off! Sony cannot sustain the a mount forever. The crossover from other brands, has not happened. Sony is reaching for anything They can, but ultimately the ship will sink.

Folks are not buying their changes,

Sales figures or are you just making stuff up... I have already shared Sony's success in India.with links. and money is money even if it doesn't come from cranky people in the NA and Europe

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

Sony may be selling in India, but recent data shows the Japanese are not buying Sony DSLR/SLT's. In that category Sony lost market share in 2013 - in fact, they fell out of third place. They even lost ground in the Compact camera category. This data is only for Japan, but I would expect the Japanese to be pretty savvy camera buyers.

I assume this is your.. source just so people can read along...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/japan-2013-overall-sales-numbers-sony-dslrslt-presence-shrinks-mirrorless-share-increases/

Sony has been in Japan locked with Pentax (Ricoh) for 3rd place there.. Japan consumes a lot of camera because they buy what's new .. its a great market.. Since Sony did have only one lower end body in 2013 Pentax had a 3 body year.. so  in a close race in Japan where Mirroless outsells DSLR Sony Not that in that Japan market Pentax and Sony keep swapping this out.

I am not sure anyone here has said in recent times they expect Sony to displace Canon and to my knowledge the closest they got to Nikon was around 2011 when Nikon did one body only and Sony end up with about 14% share in DSLRs to Nikon's 27%...in Japan

This graph is just about 2 years old.. where Sony did get much closer to Canon and Nikon what put them up there? SLTs with EVFs.. that those SAVVY Japanese camera buyers loved!! Sony jumped from an 8% share to 20% share overnight with some solid releases.  But you can't do that every year.. Even Canon people are complaining on the lack of real innovation in the yearly releases of the Rebels..

And those Savvy Japanese camera buyers.. loved mirror less in 2011

Note how releases correlates to share..

Anyone expecting Sony to displace Canon or Nikon in market share better start worrying more about the "also ran's" because it is starting to look like Sony has a better chance at 4th or 5th place, than 1st or 2nd.

Point of all these posts..

Market share changes.. in Japan especially based on what's newest..  Some places are more brand centric.. etc. you have to look at the world..

Just to show Japan is not a good predictor of Share.. as Olympus had a giant year in Japan in 2011.. It had little effect on the global share..

Moral Things change.. Sony does well in cameras. but DSLR market is very brand focuses. .and very lens collection focused.. Sony was at just about 4.5% just 4 years before this..

More recent global numbers are impossible to find appear to be locked up in PAID reports.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to WaltKnapp, 8 months ago

WaltKnapp wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

as much as we fight.. I like your photography. When you show it here.. . and I seriously believe that if your judgment is based on a few minutes only other EVFs.. and you had it longer You might like it.

Honest offer Walt..

Just like the rest of your misrepresentation of me and what I think in your pile of Sony fanboy posts you have extensively misrepresented me on EVF.

I did not just wonder into a dealer's and do a few casual shots. When I've checked each new EVF I've researched the information available about it extensively and I've specifically tested it's abilities to work on the shots I do as well as general shooting. Often, repeatedly, with other photographers that have the equipment. It keeps not catching up with OVF, and because i understand the limitations of the design I'm not expecting that it will, but I still check. I'm not talking about things I already know how to do well, like exposure or MF, where for some it's been a saver as they never put the effort into the learning on those things. That's what EVF development has been about for me, unneeded options.

Even so, I do use EVF routinely, where it can be used. I've a perfectly good HX300 bridge camera that is EVF and I can get good shots with it, I can get around it's EVF foibles, the camera is more a limitation than it's EVF though it produces very good shots, some of which Sony E or A mount cameras can't reach. That extra long reach of it's excellent Zeiss zoom is part of that.

There is so little interest in photography here I moved on to places where folks more like to see what I shoot. That is why I don't post photos here much. There are more appropriate places.

I'm actually only wandering in here now because of the Tamron 150-600 lens coming out. Looking around a bunch of places about that, but looking around while here. (actually the Nikon and Canon groups have more intelligent discussions about the technology of that lens) This is not on my first list of internet reading anymore. I assume you will celebrate that. Only want folks that toe your line

You use EVF like a generic term.. How much time have you spend with the A77? Doing what..

And Walt.. you have a reputation about EVFs here that you alone are responsible for.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to dlkeller, 8 months ago

dlkeller wrote:

While that is true is still seems pretty dumb to invest in expensive lenses that you may not be able to get new, up to date bodies for in 5-10 years.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Good point...producing tech in today's world you have to wonder about the longevity of any company.

Silver

 Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads