Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
contax4ever
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
11 months ago

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,142Gear list
Like?
Re: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to contax4ever, 11 months ago

Steady now...

Back away from the forums for a while.  You have OD'd on A-Mount threads.  

Wait for spring.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Cohan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439Gear list
Like?
Do a history search for A mount threads. It's been covered ad nauseam. nt
No text.
 Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +14 more
contax4ever
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
Re: Do a history search for A mount threads. It's been covered ad nauseam. nt
In reply to Steve Cohan, 11 months ago

The tap dancing of Sony officials in the past few days though is especially troubling. They almost let it slip that all is being moved to e mount. Come on! They could've said something to give us A mount users hope. But nothing.

William Curtindale
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,822Gear list
Like?
contax4ever: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?

contax4ever wrote:

A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400.

Wow, sounds like you got a great system started.

I recommend you add the 16-35mm ZA, 24-70mm ZA and the Sony 100mm macro to round out your system.

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700, R1 w/Zeiss + Sony G Glass
http://curtindale.net/ http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +15 more
L R Harner
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: contax4ever: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to William Curtindale, 11 months ago

you have a A77 and A99 and your not a pro ?  sony could come out tomorrow and say that that Amount is dead.  you woudl be good to go with the bodys you have for what 10 15 years.  and you can still get a back up or 2 body in Amount and still NIB.

it will be jsut fine my body doesnt even have video in it but it works ok for me as a camera (i do want to get an A65 tho before they are all sold out )

L R Harner's gear list:L R Harner's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?

contax4ever wrote:

The tap dancing of Sony officials in the past few days though is especially troubling. They almost let it slip that all is being moved to e mount. Come on! They could've said something to give us A mount users hope. But nothing.

One NEW to the JOB President totally muffed a question.. One of the Senior Managers that has been with the line for years At CES on the record

Said Sony is committed to "A-mount and e-mount SYSTEMS"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/10/whither-nex-what-does-the-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

Sony released 4 new a-mount lenses.. most of them advanced this year. Their release counts range from 2 in two years to 5 in a single year back around 2008 ish.. So no fall off this year or last in lens releases..

Take a breath, take some pictures you have a great system.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to doctorxring, 11 months ago

doctorxring wrote:

Steady now...

Back away from the forums for a while. You have OD'd on A-Mount threads.

Wait for spring.

Haha...thankfully he wasn't an Olympus user as well! Geez now I am depressed

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,574Gear list
Like?

There was only One Titanic... there are hundreds of thousands of A mount users and gear out there. I dont think they are about to bail on all those that represent brand loyalty.

Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: contax4ever: Is A mount Sony's Titanic?
In reply to William Curtindale, 11 months ago

William Curtindale wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400.

Wow, sounds like you got a great system started.

I recommend you add the 16-35mm ZA, 24-70mm ZA and the Sony 100mm macro to round out your system.

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700, R1 w/Zeiss + Sony G Glass
http://curtindale.net/ http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

Good advice, Bill. Personally, I'm thinking of adding the 16-35ZA and the Tamron 150-600mm this year to round out my system before retirement from my day-job (and being able to devote full time to my photography) early next year!

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

contax4ever wrote:

I'm wondering if I spent my money foolishly the past several months on A mount glass: ZA 50mm and the updated versions of the 70-200 and 70-400. I'm sensing more doom and gloom about the future of this mount the past couple of days than I have seen in a long time even though this worry has surfaced on and off in various discussions within the Sony user community for a couple of years now.

Its free chat, so people say what they feel like saying. As a Sony user, and on both mounts, I am not worried at all, in fact looking forward to a serious upgrade of A-mount.

-I don't want to use these lenses with an adapter on a Sony e mount body.
-I don't want to sell this equipment to make the jump to Nikon or Canon; I'm not a pro. I use the Sony lenses and bodies because I love the products.
-I don't care if the future A mount bodies have the translucent mirror or not.
-I want to be able to use these lenses NATIVE for many years to come. I'm not big into buying used equipment either though I like keeping what I purchase new for a very long time. Still, I would hope to see multiple, successive generations of the a99 and a77 (though I'm fine if A mount sustains as full frame only).

SO IS CONTAX HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT TWICE IN MY LIFE I CHOSE A SYSTEM THAT DIED.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to K E Hoffman, 11 months ago

"All we're really prepared to disclose is what we've said in the past," hedged Weir. "We remain committed to the A-mount system, and I'm sure that that commitment will be very clear."

First off they havent really said anything in the past, which is why some people are concerned

Secondly, Sony's commitment can become very clear if they dont release any more A-mount cameras or lenses. - look it is a totally ambiguous statement, you can read that anyway you wish too.

So I dont know what Sony is going to do, I am not going to jump to conclusions from an ambiguous statement, I am not going to claim that I know any Sony employees well enough that I can deduce what they mean.

What I can tell you is that you have a great system that should meet your needs for many years to come, even if Sony stops A-mount tomorrow (which I personally guarantee will not happen tomorrow )

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,808Gear list
Like?
In reply to phaedin, 11 months ago

"Amount's, whats going on in that line?.... are we going to see new things in that line or are we moving in the direction of Emount Full Frame?"

The Sony answers... "We are moving largely towards"... then he stops himself ... "uh... wait, I et um.... and QX...".

Couldn't get much clearer than that.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Gregg Helleren
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?

If you are referring to the highly successful movie by James Cameron, then YES the Sony A mount can be compared to the Titantic

-- hide signature --

Warning: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye!

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to tqlla, 11 months ago

tqlla wrote:

"Amount's, whats going on in that line?.... are we going to see new things in that line or are we moving in the direction of Emount Full Frame?"

The Sony answers... "We are moving largely towards"... then he stops himself ... "uh... wait, I et um.... and QX...".

so Sony is moving LARGELY (as in not completely) to E-mount - and you havent seen this happening over the last couple of years?

Couldn't get much clearer than that.

Actually it could get much much clearer, thats almost as bad as

"All we're really prepared to disclose is what we've said in the past," hedged Weir. "We remain committed to the A-mount system, and I'm sure that that commitment will be very clear."

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829
Like?

contax4ever wrote:

ZA 50mm... 70-200 and 70-400... a99 and a77

I count $10k worth of stuff, and I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. I'm baffled. I don't get how someone can spend that kind of money and then look here for reassurance.

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,808Gear list
Like?
In reply to phaedin, 11 months ago

phaedin wrote:

tqlla wrote:

"Amount's, whats going on in that line?.... are we going to see new things in that line or are we moving in the direction of Emount Full Frame?"

so Sony is moving LARGELY (as in not completely) to E-mount - and you havent seen this happening over the last couple of years?

Couldn't get much clearer than that.

Actually it could get much much clearer, thats almost as bad as

Of course I noticed that Sony is moving toward Emount.... and I have noticed that it has been accelerating over the last year.

If it were true, how hard would it have been to say, "we are working hard on continued development of Amount cameras"

The smile that disappears, the pull back answer, the quick topic change, the uncomfortable movements... It doesn't get much clearer.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,817
Like?
In reply to EvilOne, 11 months ago

EvilOne wrote:

There was only One Titanic... there are hundreds of thousands of A mount users and gear out there. I dont think they are about to bail on all those that represent brand loyalty.

They bailed on a700 and a900.  It would be more a case of another repeat rather than a first time. Brand loyalty buys you nothing with Sony.

WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,817
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, 11 months ago

sybersitizen wrote:

contax4ever wrote:

ZA 50mm... 70-200 and 70-400... a99 and a77

I count $10k worth of stuff, and I'm sure there's more you haven't mentioned. I'm baffled. I don't get how someone can spend that kind of money and then look here for reassurance.

There are plenty who are still spending money. Yet to realize where it's going.

I spent it some years ago, but backed off when it became clear where Sony was going and what their understanding of photography was. I've spent the pile of money. Best I can do is use up the equipment I have, it's a excellent system even if Sony is no longer on the program.

Who knows, maybe I can win the lottery.  That's the way out now.

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,574Gear list
Like?
In reply to WaltKnapp, 11 months ago

My suggestion would be sell all your Sony stuff and Old Minolta stuff and then maybe with an additional 5 grand you will be happy with a New Canon system and won't have to bitch about the horrible choice you made staying with Sony. And I'M betting half of your A mount stuff is collecting dust in the closet and you use one camera and a few lenses. Unloading the Amount stuff should be a big load off your shoulders.  At least all the negatives about them should be gone and you can go over to Canon with a clean sheet of paper./ And have fun with your photography for the rest of your life because Canon isn't going anywhere. Why continue to put yourself through this torment?

Your loss on the Sony stuff should be offset by all the fun you had with their equipment.  after all 5 grand is a drop in the bucket today. it represent a one week trip to Disney for your family. I spent ten grand last year taking my family ( 9 people to Disney ).

BTW I am not being sarcastic in my suggestion. What's the use of bitching about something that you can fix by throwing a little money at it..  Personally , I don't expect to be around next year, so I don't have to worry about what Sony will do. But I expect they will be around for a long time.

Respectfully

Bill aka EO

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads