EPL 5 with 12mm lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,511
Like?
EPL 5 with 12mm lens
6 months ago

I really love this 12mm 2.0 lens…This was held about a foot from her face and I was surprised how little distortion there was…I was going to sell this lens after getting the 12-40 zoom but now I;m glad I didn't…Makes a great lens for the EPL5 Thoughts?

http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/image/154268485

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL 5 with 12mm lens
In reply to David Gore, 6 months ago

Thanks for posting, I'm still trying to get used to a 60mm Sigma I bought a few weeks ago.

Gary

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 as a portrait lens?

Santa doesn't seem to mind...

Only 332 days until Christmas

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,050Gear list
Like?
KTC, Sigma 60
In reply to KTClown, 6 months ago

KTClown wrote:

Thanks for posting, I'm still trying to get used to a 60mm Sigma I bought a few weeks ago.

Gary

What's the major adjustment, Gary? For me, it was/is the tight cropping I get, as I'm used to standing a certain distance away from my subjects, I guess, with my old 14-54 on Oly 4/3. Tight is good... unless I have to fix a tilted photo and lose even more of it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,050Gear list
Like?
OP
In reply to Barry Stewart, 6 months ago

As a portrait lens for people — at least for head and shoulders — 12mm is way too close.

I can see it being very useful as a pocketable package, with the E-PL5. I'm amazed how big the E-M1 and 12-40 are, compared to the E-PL5 with 14-42.

I'm certainly going to keep my PL5, as it's a capable shooter in its own right — and more appropriate  for social outings, for example.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
Re: M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 as a portrait lens?
In reply to James Pilcher, 6 months ago

James Pilcher wrote:

As expected when you shoot this close with this lens, his nose and glasses are bigger than they actually are, relative to the rest of his facial features.  This does not mean that we cannot use it to make head shots, we just have to be able to see this in our head to see if the results are desirable or artistic.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?

I am very happy with this combo, it lives on my EPL5.   I also have the 45mm and love the pictures I get out of that one, more candid type photo's whereas the 12mm is great for family functions and general photography.

David Gore wrote:

I really love this 12mm 2.0 lens…This was held about a foot from her face and I was surprised how little distortion there was…I was going to sell this lens after getting the 12-40 zoom but now I;m glad I didn't…Makes a great lens for the EPL5 Thoughts?

Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?

David Gore wrote:

So far my fave on the E-PL5 is the 17 1.8.  I wish I had a 14mm Panny to try. The 9-18 is nice on the E-PL5, too.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
KTClown
Like?
Re: OP

Barry Stewart wrote:

As a portrait lens for people — at least for head and shoulders — 12mm is way too close.

I can see it being very useful as a pocketable package, with the E-PL5. I'm amazed how big the E-M1 and 12-40 are, compared to the E-PL5 with 14-42.

I'm certainly going to keep my PL5, as it's a capable shooter in its own right — and more appropriate for social outings, for example.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I like mine real well, but need more subjects as it's winter here and I don't like the cold. Makes my old bones ache.

Gary

Pueblo, CO

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
KTClown
Like?
Re: KTC, Sigma 60

Barry Stewart wrote:

KTClown wrote:

Gary

What's the major adjustment, Gary? For me, it was/is the tight cropping I get, as I'm used to standing a certain distance away from my subjects, I guess, with my old 14-54 on Oly 4/3. Tight is good... unless I have to fix a tilted photo and lose even more of it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Just not used to it as of yet, will take a little time to get right.

Mike, a musician in a band my son plays in.

Members of Suspension 9 an Industrial Band out of Colorado Springs, CO  My son 2nd from the right.

Mike again

KTClown
Like?
Re: KTC, Sigma 60

Barry Stewart wrote:

KTClown wrote:

Gary

-- hide signature --

Barry

I few more, I would like to use the 60mm for landscapes.

In the park across from my apartment

Small pond in the park.

Male & female on a cruise.

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
Santa as a caricature
In reply to G1Houston, 6 months ago

G1Houston wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

As expected when you shoot this close with this lens, his nose and glasses are bigger than they actually are, relative to the rest of his facial features. This does not mean that we cannot use it to make head shots, we just have to be able to see this in our head to see if the results are desirable or artistic.

The Santa concept itself is a caricature. This image takes advantage of that. Yes, the 12mm can be used for any purpose whatsoever. Some uses are better executed than others, of course.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads