Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
NathanCrisman
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!
7 months ago

Iv been looking more and more at the panasonic GX7, G6, or the EM5. (EM1 being simply too expensive). While I do like my Nikon V1 kit (6.7-13, 10, 10-30, 30-110, 18.5) for it's bulk/weight, I still yearn for all the control and ergonomic fixes that most V1 owners gripe about. IMHO image quality is excellent on the V1, so any improvement going to M4/3 is welcome, but not a consideration in the decision.

I'm looking with contempt at the panasonic 8mm fisheye, wishing nikon would put out a native CX fish (never happen).  When I was DX nikon..the 10.5mm fisheye was a go-to lens for me?

I guess the the next step is to confirm via this forum that the Mu4/3 system does indeed "fix" my gripes enough to warrant the expense of a Nikon1 sell off ....

does the touchscreen work well to move focus points quickly while using the EVF?......IMHO the v1's method is annoying And fiddley using the tiny 4 way buttons, and the center button doesn't reset it to middle.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens. I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF? ISO on a mechanical button would be awesome too Rather than menu only.

live histogram Or even white point clipping Pre-capture?

Any control for off camera flash. Can the pop-up work as a commander?

better quality tactile feel of buttons& switches. My V1 has a lot of use, now the power, shutter, and play buttons feel loose. The power button sometimes is unresponsive and needs multiple pushes (Missed shots due to this).  The shutter button has lost its "half push" click/stop.

on the flip side there are a few things I'm sure to be annoyed with in Mu4/3:

slightly bigger lenses in physical size/weight (side effect of bigger sensor).  I'm more concerned with weight than bulk.

lens mount bayonet that rotates reverse of nikon (been a nikon guy for decade- old habits die hard)

do oly/pano zoom and focus rings function in reverse rotation compared to nikon? (Clockwise to zoom FL+)

4:3 aspect ratio riles!!! I have been composing in 3:2 for years and years (since looking down into hass 501C). This is a big change in either the way I shoot or the way I post process. 50% of my pics end up printed 4x6"

As a side note, I dabbled with m4/3 2 years ago when I first sold off my nikon dslr gear and got out of photography as a job (wedding & events). Had a e-pl2 w/ kit lens that was adequate for IQ but I couldn't do without an EVF.  I got into nikon V1 right about when they started selling fire sale stupid cheap.

Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me....
In reply to NathanCrisman, 7 months ago

Why should I convince you to change systems? Do whatever you like.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,356Gear list
Like?
Don't do it!

You will only be miserable, you know you are already happy with your current camera and there are no guarantees you will like ours, whatever we tell you

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
NathanCrisman
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, 7 months ago

Thorgrem wrote:

Ehh.  It was a grabby title.    I'm more looking for answers to those oddball questions Regarding functionality of the touchscreen, auto ISO, and EVF Systems.   The online camera reviews generally don't go into minutia of that sort so I'm asking actual users.

ill make my own decision for sure, but need the facts before I can judge the value in upgrading.

IF nikon were to release a V3 that fixed all of my gripes with the V1, I would be first in line.  Unfortunately it seems Nikon is more interested in releasing more cool pix P&S, underwater N1, and DX entry dslr than improving the V series for enthusiast use.   I'm hedging my bet that nikon does not release a V3 at the upcoming Asia camera industry show, and instead announces that the CX sensor line of cameras will only be continued for the J series and compact P&S lines.   No fancy new lenses, no enthusiast bodies.

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!

What about the V2? Seems like a nice bit of kit.

Before selling your current gear, get a G5, nice cam, inexpensive, see how you like it and go from there.

[edit] Also, Steve Huff loves both the V1 and M4/3, but I think I remember seeing on one of his reviews that if he had to choose only one, it wouldn't be the '1'.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537
Like?

Rather than buying the Lumix G 8mm fisheye, I would strongly suggest that you go for the Samyang/Rokinon version. I have both, and I think the latter is way better, and cheaper. A comparison here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/02/samyang-75mm-f35-fisheye-lens-review.html

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Ehh. It was a grabby title. I'm more looking for answers to those oddball questions Regarding functionality of the touchscreen, auto ISO, and EVF Systems. The online camera reviews generally don't go into minutia of that sort so I'm asking actual users.

ill make my own decision for sure, but need the facts before I can judge the value in upgrading.

IF nikon were to release a V3 that fixed all of my gripes with the V1, I would be first in line. Unfortunately it seems Nikon is more interested in releasing more cool pix P&S, underwater N1, and DX entry dslr than improving the V series for enthusiast use. I'm hedging my bet that nikon does not release a V3 at the upcoming Asia camera industry show, and instead announces that the CX sensor line of cameras will only be continued for the J series and compact P&S lines. No fancy new lenses, no enthusiast bodies.

Based on this I'd say that m4/3 has (most of) what you want now, Nikon might do it in the future. In the meantime, you're left with your V1, waiting for it to die.

-- hide signature --

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, 7 months ago

Bear in mind this video is two years old and since then M34 had gotten better. Not only in camera performance but their lens library have drastically increased in choice.

Camera store J1 vs G3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudtMJQUeUM

Sadly things haven't gotten better for Nikon 1 since the video. While there had been some new lenses and camera bodies, the system is still rather weak and should never be a primary system for a serious photographer.

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,500Gear list
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Iv been looking more and more at the panasonic GX7, G6, or the EM5. (EM1 being simply too expensive). While I do like my Nikon V1 kit (6.7-13, 10, 10-30, 30-110, 18.5) for it's bulk/weight, I still yearn for all the control and ergonomic fixes that most V1 owners gripe about. IMHO image quality is excellent on the V1, so any improvement going to M4/3 is welcome, but not a consideration in the decision.

I'm looking with contempt at the panasonic 8mm fisheye, wishing nikon would put out a native CX fish (never happen). When I was DX nikon..the 10.5mm fisheye was a go-to lens for me?

I guess the the next step is to confirm via this forum that the Mu4/3 system does indeed "fix" my gripes enough to warrant the expense of a Nikon1 sell off ....

Don't know enough about the ins and outs of the GX7 and G6 to answer for those. My answers below are for the E-M5.

does the touchscreen work well to move focus points quickly while using the EVF?......IMHO the v1's method is annoying And fiddley using the tiny 4 way buttons, and the center button doesn't reset it to middle.

I don't think the touch screen works at all when the EVF is enabled. I use the 4-way buttons when I need to move the focus point. It can be reset to center by means of a single button press.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens.

Yes.

I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF?

Don't know since I never use auto ISO.

ISO on a mechanical button would be awesome too Rather than menu only.

Don't think you can put ISO on a button.

Yes. LV histogram as well as LV highlight/shadow warnings so that you can see exactly when and where something is clipping before capture.

Yes and yes.

better quality tactile feel of buttons& switches. My V1 has a lot of use, now the power, shutter, and play buttons feel loose. The power button sometimes is unresponsive and needs multiple pushes (Missed shots due to this). The shutter button has lost its "half push" click/stop.

No experience with the V1 so can't compare. But I have no objection to the tactile feel of buttons/dials/switches of the E-M5. The buttons are a bit mushy but I have no difficulty with that.

slightly bigger lenses in physical size/weight (side effect of bigger sensor). I'm more concerned with weight than bulk.

I think you can put together a lens collection similar to the one you have for Nikon 1 that is just about as small and light. Have a look here

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

at the following lenses:

Oly 9-18

Pany 14

Pany X 14-42

Oly 40-150

Pany 20 or the upcoming Oly 25, the latter shown here

http://www.43rumors.com/the-new-25mm-f1-8-lens-size-comparison-courtesy-abdullah/

lens mount bayonet that rotates reverse of nikon (been a nikon guy for decade- old habits die hard)

do oly/pano zoom and focus rings function in reverse rotation compared to nikon? (Clockwise to zoom FL+)

Pany works the same way as Nikon but Oly is the other way around.

4:3 aspect ratio riles!!! I have been composing in 3:2 for years and years (since looking down into hass 501C). This is a big change in either the way I shoot or the way I post process. 50% of my pics end up printed 4x6"

As a side note, I dabbled with m4/3 2 years ago when I first sold off my nikon dslr gear and got out of photography as a job (wedding & events). Had a e-pl2 w/ kit lens that was adequate for IQ but I couldn't do without an EVF. I got into nikon V1 right about when they started selling fire sale stupid cheap.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?

The Lumix G5 and G6 offer the touchscreen-focusing feature you're looking after, and it is quite excellent. Only downside is they're considerably larger than the V1 (right between a V1 and D3X00 in size, as a matter of fact), but you're getting *plenty* of features and controls that would make the upgrade more than worth it, even if it's not an ideal trade-off for you.

The good news is that nowadays both Panasonic and Olympus are making a new push for compactness. The 12-32mm pancake just released will be followed by a compact 32-100mm zoom, and Olympus will soon be releasing its own pancake zoom along with the OM-D EM-10, which may rival the V1 in size.

The rest of the features you're looking for are readily available in any modern M43 body... IQ (and much more) has come a long way since the days of the EP2 and is close to modern APS-C cameras.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,434
Like?
From an EM5 perspective...

One touch focus works - sets the focus point and fires. Of course, you can't use this with the EVF, you have to be looking at the rear LCD. But, it does work, quite nicely.

Look at the Samyang 7.5 FE - it's less expensive and surprisingly good. Obviously, MF, but everything is in focus with a FE anyway, so that's not so much of an imposition. I use the Olympus 4/3 8FE, because I already had one.

Live histogram? Yes, on LCD and in the EVF if you wish. It also has live highlight/shadow display if you want, and a genuine DOF preview that works quite nicely. Overall, the EM5's EVF is a superb implementation. You tend to forget it's an EVF quickly, until you need one of the preview modes, and then you're glad you have it.

Some of the buttons on the EM5 feel a bit mushy, but they're useable. Never caused me any problems. The 4 way switch buttons on the back are a bit small, but you get used to it.

You can set the direction you want the focus ring to turn. Is that slick or what?

Bayonet direction - no, that isn't changeable. I shot Nikon film for years, and I didn't have any problem adjusting.

Auto ISO - I don't tend to use it much. You can customize the EM5's buttons just about any way you want. I set the largely unused video button to turn on magnified LV for use with manual focus lenses - a couple of old Nikkors I have that work quite nicely on the EM5.

Aspect ratio - the EM5 has 16mp. Plenty of room to crop to 3:2 and still look good.

Lens weight: the µ43 lenses I have are very lightweight. Granted, the 75 1.8 isn't super light, but considering what it can do, it's tiny compared to what larger formats need to do the same. The larger fast 4/3 zooms are heavy, but IMHO, it's worth the weight to get the wicked sharp IQ, especially the ZD 50-200.

The big difference you should see going to µ43 is the more extensive lens line. I believe there is an IQ gain as well, under most situations.

NathanCrisman
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

NathanCrisman wrote:

I'm looking with contempt at the panasonic 8mm fisheye, wishing nikon would put out a native CX fish (never happen). When I was DX nikon..the 10.5mm fisheye was a go-to lens for me?

Don't know enough about the ins and outs of the GX7 and G6 to answer for those. My answers below are for the E-M5.

I don't think the touch screen works at all when the EVF is enabled. I use the 4-way buttons when I need to move the focus point. It can be reset to center by means of a single button press.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens.

Yes.

I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF?

Yes. LV histogram as well as LV highlight/shadow warnings so that you can see exactly when and where something is clipping before capture.

Yes and yes.

better quality tactile feel of buttons& switches. My V1 has a lot of use, now the power, shutter, and play buttons feel loose. The power button sometimes is unresponsive and needs multiple pushes (Missed shots due to this). The shutter button has lost its "half push" click/stop.

No experience with the V1 so can't compare. But I have no objection to the tactile feel of buttons/dials/switches of the E-M5. The buttons are a bit mushy but I have no difficulty with that.

slightly bigger lenses in physical size/weight (side effect of bigger sensor). I'm more concerned with weight than bulk.

I think you can put together a lens collection similar to the one you have for Nikon 1 that is just about as small and light. Have a look here

at the following lenses:

Oly 9-18

Pany 14

Pany X 14-42

Oly 40-150

http://www.43rumors.com/the-new-25mm-f1-8-lens-size-comparison-courtesy-abdullah/

As a side note, I dabbled with m4/3 2 years ago when I first sold off my nikon dslr gear and got out of photography as a job (wedding & events). Had a e-pl2 w/ kit lens that was adequate for IQ but I couldn't do without an EVF. I got into nikon V1 right about when they started selling fire sale stupid cheap.

Thnks!  Exactly the reply type I was hoping for!  The wysiwyg EVF is a huge deal to me, as is the histogram/clipping..good info.

Lens wise, I'm looking at:

8mm fisheye, the 7-14 zoom, the 17 1.8, the 25 1.4, and either the slow tele for now...the 35-100 2.8 later.

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,181Gear list
Like?
Nathan - there are quite a few variables involved here....

So rather than get down to specifics - which can result in countless options - allow me to address a few areas within the "macro" end of things:

1. Lenses: Bear in mind that Micro 4/3 products have a wide availability in interchangeable accessories and lenses. For example, you can use Olympus lenses on Panasonic cameras and vice versa - with the addition of other manufacturers coming on board to produce micro 4/3 lenses. This ensures the viability of the program - let alone the wide variety of lenses available now (and in the future) for your micro 4/3 camera. Right now the only one producing lenses for Nikon mirrorless cameras are Nikon - and no one else (and those are limited at best). Why Nikon adopted that 1" sensor mirrorless design is beyond me. I think they should have joined the micro 4/3 conglomerate to begin with, as I think they would have sold a ton of cameras this way.

2. Sensor Size: Obviously, micro 4/3 cameras have a larger sensor size than the Nikon models. And what you'll find here is a vast improvement in high ISO capabilities (read lower noise here) due to larger pixel sizes.

3. Size: Other than the upper end models (i.e. E-M1, GX-7), m4/3 cameras keep their sizes small and light - thus continuing what you've wanted all alone.

4. AF speeds: Older micro 4/3 cameras had a slower AF speed capability, but that has all changed with the latest models. AF speed is quite fast now.

5. Rendering of colors (color tonality): Both Nikon and Olympus/Panasonic have gorgeous colors and yes, the color tonality (casts, perhaps) may be slightly different with each brand. The bottom line is that I think you'd be happy with either.

6. Growth of the System: Without a doubt, thanks to the pioneering efforts of both Olympus and Panasonic in the mirrorless market, they've established quite a precedent. Their future looks unwavering and the numbers of other manufacturers who are coming on board (or, who will come on board) is a wonderful omen. The bottom line is - How will the Nikon mirrorless market grow (if at all) compared to everything you see within the Panny/Oly camp. No one else is adopting the Nikon mirrorless model. That alone will go a long way to convince you.

Now keep in mind that my remarks above are not coming from my being any one type of "fanboy."  Heck, I shoot with a variety of different brand gear to include Nikon (i.e. D7100, P770, and P330).  and I can appreciate all of those brands as each brand brings something different to the table.  However, I was personally not impressed with the Nikon mirrorless offerings because I realize that it was too little too late and that it would not have the appeal and growth potential that you see within the Panny/Oly micro 4/3 community.  I say the water is just fine here - so dive on in!.  And besides, you don't have to sell your Nikon gear - unless you have to in order to afford some micro 4/3 gear.  But like anything else, electronics loose value quickly and you'll never recover what you put into it.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....

Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
Anders W
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Anders W wrote:

NathanCrisman wrote:

Yes.

Yes and yes.

at the following lenses:

Oly 9-18

Pany 14

Pany X 14-42

Oly 40-150

Thnks! Exactly the reply type I was hoping for! The wysiwyg EVF is a huge deal to me, as is the histogram/clipping..good info.

You are welcome.

Lens wise, I'm looking at:

8mm fisheye, the 7-14 zoom, the 17 1.8, the 25 1.4, and either the slow tele for now...the 35-100 2.8 later.

Looks good to me, except that, like Fredrik, I'd encourage you to take a look at the Samyang 7.5/3.5 FE as an alternative to the Pany 8/3.5 FE. The only downside of the Samyang is that it is completely manual (manual focus, manual aperture). On the other hand, I don't find that a problem for a fisheye although I appreciate having AF for other lenses. In every other regard, the Samyang is just as good as, or better than, the Pany and significantly less expensive. You'll find a lot of satisfied user reports (mine included) about the Samyang if you search the forum. Lots of people here bought it. The Pany is significantly less common.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

I was a Nikon SLR and semi-pro user. Never went the DSLR route because of size & weight of the bodies. I've been looking at the Nikon AW1 for snorkeling , etc. to augment my M4/3 kit… GX7 and GH2.

The manual Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm fisheye is a better, cheaper route. $300-ish vs. $800-ish.

Yes, with the GX7. You can use the LCD to move focus point while using the EVF, or use the 4-way buttons. Your choice.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens. I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Yes. And with the GX7 or GH-series there's the Constant Preview feature that shows instant, real time exposure. Most other M4/3 cameras require pressing a user-define able Preview button, I think.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF? ISO on a mechanical button would be awesome too Rather than menu only.

Never use auto-ISO. On Panasonics there's a dedicated ISO button… the top 4-way control button or on the GH3 a dedicated button behind the shutter button

Yes, live histogram and highlighting can be activated. Also the GX7 had focus peaking for manual focus or manual lenses.

Never use flash, but I think most current cameras have it.

Yes, marginally, but there's a pretty big array of native M4/3 lenses that cover 7mm to 300mm (14mm-600mm in 135 format). They go from the dirt cheap Body Cap and kit lenses to the new $1600 Panasonic 42.5mm and a lot in-between. There are also quite a few very fast native manual lenses from Voigtländer and SLR Magic, if that's you cup 'o tea.

If you choose tho adapt manual lenses, like Nikon or Leica mount, etc, the handling will be much better with the more ergonomically designed bodies like the GH3, EM1, G6 and GX7. The EM5 handling isn't so great unless you spend a few hundred bucks for an add-on grip Which also increases the size and weight quite a bit.

Yep. Oh well…

I'm not sure. I use adapted Nikon lenses, but haven't noticed.

M4/3 has four different aspect ratios available: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9. Take your pick! It's easy to switch.

There are plenty of M4/3 cameras with built-in  EVF, so that's a non-issue at this point.

One other note about the user interfaces. Panasonic's touch interface is very good, often reviewed as the best out there. Their menu system is also fairly logically laid out. Olympus, unfortunately seems to have hired the guys who invented DOS or VCR interfaces, it's overly complex and downright Byzantine in comparison to others.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
NathanCrisman
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Reading the user manuals for g6 and gx7...they are rather "dumbed down".    No mention of touchscreen use for focus point movement while EFV is used.   Also no real info on EVF gain.

Anders W
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Reading the user manuals for g6 and gx7...they are rather "dumbed down". No mention of touchscreen use for focus point movement while EFV is used. Also no real info on EVF gain.

As I said, I don't know much of the operational details of the G6 and GX7 since I have no personal experience with either one. Hopefully, others will chime on to comment on that.

NathanCrisman
Like?

The Jacal wrote:

What about the V2? Seems like a nice bit of kit.

Before selling your current gear, get a G5, nice cam, inexpensive, see how you like it and go from there.

[edit] Also, Steve Huff loves both the V1 and M4/3, but I think I remember seeing on one of his reviews that if he had to choose only one, it wouldn't be the '1'.

-- hide signature --

The V2 fixes a few of my control gripes, but:

still no commander mode for off-camera flash.

EVF has auto-adjust gain, can't turn that off

No setting adjustments for auto-ISO rules

no focus peaking, histogram, or clipping point in live view.

I would be investing $700 on a body that adds no new features or functionality,  to get a few quirks  fixed.

My main, main, honest reason for contemplating a brand switch is that I don't believe Nikon is going to add the lenses I want (fast tele zoom, fisheye, macro) nor  any off-camera-flash ability to the 1series.   I fear the system is static.   As of right now, there are so many times when I wish I had  the functionality of my ok'd pro gear (D3, sb800's, f2.8 zooms, 100mm macro, ect).

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Reading the user manuals for g6 and gx7...they are rather "dumbed down". No mention of touchscreen use for focus point movement while EFV is used. Also no real info on EVF gain.

All those things are there.

There are two different manuals. A basic one and a 350+ page Advanced Feature manual. If you google it you can find PDFs on the UK web site and download them. I put them on my iPad where I can do searches and make bookmarks for specific things. There are plenty of crap features (scene modes, in-camera editing, etc.) you'll probably avoid, so the manual gets much thinner without them.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
ajwan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?

NathanCrisman wrote:

Advanced manual here:

http://panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DMC-GX7P/OI/vqt5b23/vqt5b23.pdf

Its over 400 pages long.

Panasonic GX7

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads