Why Scott Kelby really switched to Canon

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
photomagic711
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Why Scott Kelby really switched to Canon
11 months ago

Very Simple, Scott Kelby is a great photographer and guru of photoshop. Over the years he consistently has become a mentor to professional photographers. Include  with that aspiring professionals as well.

Nikon no longer cares about professional photographers. They are more consumer oriented with the countless upgrades to consumer models d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 etc. that is the market they are going after. Even the Nikon Df is for consumers, it doesn't even have dual slot cards!

Just attended PPA imaging expo in Phoenix. Nikon had so presence there whatsoever!! Canon on the other hand had a tremendous exhibit booth with lectures etc.. offered complimentary sensor cleaning.

Canon even has a Canon Professional Services division that anyone can join. yes there is a fee but anyone can join. Nikon has NPS but one has to got though a tremendous lengthy process to join this elite group.

So doesn't it make sense for Kelby to join forces with a company that supports professionals?

The consumer buys a d5200 and he's good for 5-7 years. A pro buys a new item(lens, flash, new camera body,) at least one per year.

In the long run there will be more pros using Canon than Nikon. I will remain a Nikon shooter as all my lenses are Nikon and I am very pleased with my D4 and D3s.

They are both great cameras and Scott Kelby is doing what's best for Scott Kelby and there is nothing wrong with that. He is partnering up with a company that is professionaL photographer based.

Kudos to the Canon team for soliciting him. mark my words within the next 12-18 months Scott Kelby will become  a canon explorer of light just like Joe Buissink did.

Nikon's main focus is no longer on the pro market. Yes they will continue to make pro bodies, who knows maybe one day they may develop a respectable replacement for the D700.

As far is which is better? As ansel Adams once said "the best camera is the one thats in your hands"

Good Shooting

Nikon D3100 Nikon D3200 Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200 Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Scott Kelby really switched to Canon
In reply to photomagic711, 11 months ago

photomagic711 wrote:

Very Simple, Scott Kelby is a great photographer and guru of photoshop. Over the years he consistently has become a mentor to professional photographers. Include with that aspiring professionals as well.

Nikon no longer cares about professional photographers. They are more consumer oriented with the countless upgrades to consumer models d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 etc.

Just like the rebel series? T3i, T4i, T5i? Sound familiar? At least the Nikons have up to date sensors.

The rest of your rant is a tired old record

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 600D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

photomagic711 wrote:

Very Simple, Scott Kelby is a great photographer and guru of photoshop. Over the years he consistently has become a mentor to professional photographers. Include with that aspiring professionals as well.

Nikon no longer cares about professional photographers. They are more consumer oriented with the countless upgrades to consumer models d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 etc. that is the market they are going after. Even the Nikon Df is for consumers, it doesn't even have dual slot cards!

Just attended PPA imaging expo in Phoenix. Nikon had so presence there whatsoever!! Canon on the other hand had a tremendous exhibit booth with lectures etc.. offered complimentary sensor cleaning.

Canon even has a Canon Professional Services division that anyone can join. yes there is a fee but anyone can join. Nikon has NPS but one has to got though a tremendous lengthy process to join this elite group.

So doesn't it make sense for Kelby to join forces with a company that supports professionals?

The consumer buys a d5200 and he's good for 5-7 years. A pro buys a new item(lens, flash, new camera body,) at least one per year.

In the long run there will be more pros using Canon than Nikon. I will remain a Nikon shooter as all my lenses are Nikon and I am very pleased with my D4 and D3s.

They are both great cameras and Scott Kelby is doing what's best for Scott Kelby and there is nothing wrong with that. He is partnering up with a company that is professionaL photographer based.

Kudos to the Canon team for soliciting him. mark my words within the next 12-18 months Scott Kelby will become a canon explorer of light just like Joe Buissink did.

Nikon's main focus is no longer on the pro market. Yes they will continue to make pro bodies, who knows maybe one day they may develop a respectable replacement for the D700.

As far is which is better? As ansel Adams once said "the best camera is the one thats in your hands"

Good Shooting

Scott Kelby does not make my world any darker or lighter, and he doesn't have any impact on the egg-laying capacity of my hens.

That means he can shoot with whatever he likes, without me or my hens being affected.

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316
Like?

like most everything else he does, he did it for the $$.

at least it keeps him consistent with his core values.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,613Gear list
Like?

photomagic711 wrote:

Nikon no longer cares about professional photographers.

Gotcha. The best FF sensors in the world but not aimed at pros. Makes sense.

They are more consumer oriented with the countless upgrades to consumer models d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 etc.

I could have sworn Canon had an entry level line of cameras too. Hmm, what were those called again?

that is the market they are going after. Even the Nikon Df is for consumers, it doesn't even have dual slot cards!

Neither did the D700.

Just to be clear, your argument here is that Canon is courting the pro market by allowing absolutely anyone with a credit card to join but Nikon is abandoning the pro market by developing a free service solely for professional photographers? Ermm...

It makes sense for him to go where the dollars are, which is exactly what he did.

Looking into the future with such amazing certainty. Could you provide me with next week's Powerball numbers as well please?

The D700 wasn't a pro body according to you. Only one card slot, remember?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,465
Like?
What possible difference does this make to ANYONE?

It's good to find something to feel strongly about, but how can Scott Kelby's choice of cameras matter to anyone but him?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Fine Art Flyover Country:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2505841@N22

Juri Janasik
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
what % of camera users are pro?

photomagic711 wrote:

What percent of camera users are pros?

-- hide signature --

J Janasik

Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?

photomagic711 wrote:

Canon even has a Canon Professional Services division that anyone can join.

Not in Australia.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 4,315
Like?
If Scott Kelby was paid by Canon to switch ...

photomagic711 wrote:

... because he is important his switching does not interest me.  And if he was not paid to switch, how important can he be?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 11 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

photomagic711 wrote:

Nikon no longer cares about professional photographers. They are more consumer oriente with the countless upgrades to consumer models d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 etc.

Just like the rebel series? T3i, T4i, T5i? Sound familiar? At least the Nikons have up to date sensors.

The rest of your rant is a tired old record

Good point. While I agree with the ergonomics preferences of the Canon that Scott Kelby spoke of, it is quite clear Nikon is clearly well ahead of Canon when it comes to sensor improvements. For me, image quality is what matters the most. For him, he needs speed and apparently the Canons are better suited for that from an operational point of view.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,512Gear list
Like?

photomagic711 wrote:

why must a camera have dual slot cards. Card storage size has increased faster than camera file sizes.

oh well that definitely makes them better than Nikon.

Nikons Pro service is not that great.

Kudos to the Canon team for soliciting him. mark my words within the next 12-18 months Scott Kelby will become a canon explorer of light just like Joe Buissink did.

Good Shooting

We have a pro business. I use Canon, my partner uses Nikon. Both great cameras.

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
Can you tell what I'm thinking too ? (nt)
No text.
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?
Re: Can you tell what I'm thinking too ? (nt)
In reply to darklamp, 11 months ago

If the weather in Ireland is as bad as it here in Wales you probably wondering when it's going to stop raining

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,375
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 11 months ago

In his case, it's all about MONEY.

For my part, I don't care who shoots with what.

I shoot with what I can afford and what suits me.
I do my own research and make my purchasing decisions based on that, and I'm certainly not influenced by anyone else, professional or otherwise.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,512Gear list
Like?

Dareshooter wrote:

If the weather in Ireland is as bad as it here in Wales you probably wondering when it's going to stop raining

We had a squall here in West London last night.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, 11 months ago

JulesJ wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

We had a squall here in West London last night.

Only rained twice here this week Jules, once for four days and once for three days.

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
LOL

Dareshooter wrote:

I know when it's going to stop. It almost always stops when the sun goes down, and starts when it rises.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,465
Like?
In reply to darklamp, 11 months ago

Pancakes, definitely pancakes, bacon, and coffee.  Wait a minute. . . That's what I'm thinking! That's OK, If I think it, everyone else must think it too!  It's all good!

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Fine Art Flyover Country:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2505841@N22

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,725
Like?
It a big business
In reply to Juri Janasik, 11 months ago

Juri Janasik wrote:

photomagic711 wrote:

What percent of camera users are pros?

The percentage of users is one thing, the money spent is another. The pro market is a big business for Nijkon and Canon, that is why they spend so much money on support, marketing, R&D and brings out exotic lenses that few amateurs can afford like the new Canon 200-400 or Nikons 800 5.6

-- hide signature --

J Janasik

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (nt)
No text.
 wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads