A Texas Winter Morn- Canon SX40

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888Gear list
Like?
A Texas Winter Morn- Canon SX40
8 months ago

A couple of winter scenes from rural Texas shot with my SX40.

GR

Stop the Ice!

Frosty Fence Post

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,663Gear list
Like?
Re: A Texas Winter Morn- Canon SX40
In reply to grcolts, 8 months ago

GR,

Thanks for sharing your Texas winter shots.  I'm sure the folks up north and north-east will get a chuckle over them but by Texas standards this has been a pretty hard winter so far.  It is the first ice we've had in Houston in three years and even a little snow in Huntsville and Livingston.  To show you what a sissy I have become I had a dentist appointment in north Houston Thursday which I cancelled because I didn't want to drive on the ice.  The Houston police had over 500 calls for emergencies (mostly fender benders) so I'm glad I didn't go   Maybe the freezes will kill some mosquitoes and roaches and summer will be less buggy??

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?

I'm impressed by the way the octagonal ice sheet slid down the stop sign and you caught it before it shattered. It just looks so incongruous against the bright sunshine of a beautiful day.

It looks light you played a lot with the fence image to come up with an artistic image. It has a pleasing color palette with a certain edginess to it.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Murry
In reply to MurryG, 8 months ago

Once you're no longer used to it, I agree it was the best idea not to venture out on the icy roads. We were making a trip down to visit my family in Florida and stopped as usual for a few days in Virginia. Overnight before we were to continue south, southeast Virginia had an unusual 3 to 4 inches of snow. Being northerners, it was nothing more than a slight inconvenience to us so we set off on our way. Within two miles I had to use practiced defensive driving techniques to avoid be plowed into three separate times. I looked at my wife and she said just one word: "HOME". So we only did a total of four miles that day and tried again two days later. Safer was much better.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
grcolts
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 8 months ago

MurryG wrote:

GR,

Thanks for sharing your Texas winter shots. I'm sure the folks up north and north-east will get a chuckle over them but by Texas standards this has been a pretty hard winter so far. It is the first ice we've had in Houston in three years and even a little snow in Huntsville and Livingston. To show you what a sissy I have become I had a dentist appointment in north Houston Thursday which I cancelled because I didn't want to drive on the ice. The Houston police had over 500 calls for emergencies (mostly fender benders) so I'm glad I didn't go Maybe the freezes will kill some mosquitoes and roaches and summer will be less buggy??

Murry

-- hide signature --

Murry,

The ice pretty much shut down San Antonio yesterday too. We did not venture outside until late in the day when the ice on the roads melted. There were many accidents, especially on I-35 where they closed it off for a while. So, it was probably good you did not go to your scheduled dentist appointment!

GR

grcolts
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, 8 months ago

VisionLight wrote:

I'm impressed by the way the octagonal ice sheet slid down the stop sign and you caught it before it shattered. It just looks so incongruous against the bright sunshine of a beautiful day.

It looks light you played a lot with the fence image to come up with an artistic image. It has a pleasing color palette with a certain edginess to it.

Ed

Hello Ed,

I was fortunate to find the stop sign when I did as the sun was beginning to warm things up!

And of course, when I spotted that sign, I had to jump out of the car and photograph it!  

As for the fence image, I just did not like the original shot, so I played with some PP to achieve something I liked a little better. Glad to see someone else liked my PP too! I was using ACDSee Pro 3 for the Mac software to pull it off.  Thanks for looking and commenting!

GR

evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,884
Like?

Very nice set. I like both of them. Hope things warm up for you guys down there.

four under
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?

I have friends that are wintering on South Padre Island and they've mentioned on FB how chilly it has been there for most of this winter. That stop sign is an amazing catch, I've never seen anything like that. I like your interpretation of the fence too, it reminds me of the toy camera work I used to do.

Brian

four under's gear list:four under's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +4 more
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Great catch Gary, I'm sure you don't see that very often.

At Christmas time in 2012 we spend 10 days in beautiful San Antonio. Lots of sunshine but cool at night. Had a great time there.

Hope you'll warm up soon.

Rob,

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
grcolts
Like?
In reply to evancj, 8 months ago

evancj wrote:

Very nice set. I like both of them. Hope things warm up for you guys down there.

Thanks! It was about 65 degrees today, so the warm up has begun for the next day or so. Then, I just heard the temps are due to fall again! At least we are not getting all that snow the midwest and east are getting.

GR

grcolts
Like?
In reply to four under, 8 months ago

four under wrote:

I have friends that are wintering on South Padre Island and they've mentioned on FB how chilly it has been there for most of this winter. That stop sign is an amazing catch, I've never seen anything like that. I like your interpretation of the fence too, it reminds me of the toy camera work I used to do.

Brian

Too bad it has been so cold for your friends down at South Padre Island. That is a great place to be most of the time!

The stop sign is just one of those lucky catches of being in the right place at the right time. The original fence picture had a background that was ugly, so I played with it seeing if I could come up with something I could improve upon. And, that was the result. Your toy camera work sounds interesting! Take care! Thanks.

GR

grcolts
Like?
In reply to Hollander, 8 months ago

Hollander wrote:

Great catch Gary, I'm sure you don't see that very often.

At Christmas time in 2012 we spend 10 days in beautiful San Antonio. Lots of sunshine but cool at night. Had a great time there.

Hope you'll warm up soon.

Rob,

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Thanks Rob!

You'll have to come back down to this part of the world again sometime! Glad you had a great time.

One of the things I like about living in Texas, is the opportunity of getting out under the dark skies at night.  And, not I don't see things like that sign very often!  

GR

Nibbio
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

They look great, kudos!

Keyboard shortcuts: