Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?
Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?
8 months ago

I'm thinking of consolidating to Fuji.

I have today the 6D, NEX6 and Canon M1. With the X-T1, that looks like a body I'd love, but down the road. I can't afford it just yet, as I need both a larger body for flash, and a compact body.

So I'm thinking of the XE1 + XM1 (or maybe an XA1) to start. I'd get the 2.8-4 kit lens, the 35/1.4 and the 55-200 zoom, and would like to use some legacy lenses (I have an FD 50mm macro and a Rokkor 45/2 which I like a lot. I might also possibly get the 23 pancake.

Besides the development issues of XTran RAW on lightroom, what are the negatives of the XE1?

Does it do focus peaking? In the viewfinder? to use with my legacy lenses?

Does the XE1 simulate exposure in the viewfinder? Does the XM1 or XA1 simulate it on the LCD?

I understand the AF has improved. But could I use the 50-200 for some kids events? Horse riding in a ring? School spirit days?

Are there any flash issues with the Fuji system?

Any other issues/thoughts??

Thanks for any help.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,414Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?
In reply to WT21, 8 months ago

WT21 wrote:

Yes, firmware update last summer.

Does the XE1 simulate exposure in the viewfinder? Does the XM1 or XA1 simulate it on the LCD?

Yes, in full manual the default since the last firmware update is Preview Exp. In Manual. Don't know about the others.

I understand the AF has improved. But could I use the 50-200 for some kids events? Horse riding in a ring? School spirit days?

Don't know.

Don't know.

Really depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose. Forget focus tracking, by and large.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 8 months ago

The XE-2 has digital split image for MF, is this worth the extra money if one is just getting into the system?

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?

WT21 wrote:

So I'm thinking of the XE1 + XM1 (or maybe an XA1) to start.

I suggest to start with one camera, to see if you like Fuji's operation and more important image output (XE1/XM1 are x-trans based and XA1 has Bayer CFA sensor)

I'd get the 2.8-4 kit lens, the 35/1.4 and the 55-200 zoom, and would like to use some legacy lenses (I have an FD 50mm macro and a Rokkor 45/2 which I like a lot. I might also possibly get the 23 pancake.

Same here, start with 18-55 (excellent zoom) and go from there. Unless you can save on the bundle you can always add the lens you need later.

Besides the development issues of XTran RAW on lightroom, what are the negatives of the XE1?

No issues with Lightroom/XA1. Some of us prefer other raw converters for x-trans raw files (XE1/XM1). Start with what you already have or with supplied Fuji's RFC and in-camera converter (they do pretty good job) and see if you need something else.

BTW, OOC jpegs are excellent.

FP works pretty well, but not as good as NEX implementation. Still no colour choices, just white. 100S and XE2 have digital split screen.

Thanks for any help.

just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?

WT21 wrote:

I understand the AF has improved. But could I use the 50-200 for some kids events?

Are we talking school plays or hunger games?

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
57LowRider
Like?
Split-image any good?
In reply to Joel Stern, 8 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

The XE-2 has digital split image for MF, is this worth the extra money if one is just getting into the system?

Ah, you need input from an X-E2 user there, although I get the impression that focus peaking is the more useful of the focus assist types, judging from feedback.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Split-image any good?

57LowRider wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Ah, you need input from an X-E2 user there, although I get the impression that focus peaking is the more useful of the focus assist types, judging from feedback.

Thanks 57

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?

57LowRider wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Yes, in full manual the default since the last firmware update is Preview Exp. In Manual. Don't know about the others.

Exposure is also simulated in S, A, and P modes when you use the over/under-exposure compensation dial.

Don't know.

I wouldn't use AF on the X-E1 for something predictable like riding in a ring.  Instead, pick the spot, manually focus, and wait for the horse to get there.  School spirit days are another matter. The 50-200 using auto-focus would serve very nicely for that, especially for outdoors shots.  Auto-focusing is reasonably snappy with that lens.

Don't know.

Don't know what you mean by flash issues.

Really depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose. Forget focus tracking, by and large.

I think you meant "27mm" pancake, which is a nice little lens.  I use it a lot, especially on the M1.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Exposure is also simulated in S, A, and P modes when you use the over/under-exposure compensation dial.

Heh, quite right and I was using it earlier today. Short-term memory loss, m'lud.

I think you meant "27mm" pancake, which is a nice little lens. I use it a lot, especially on the M1.

27mm pancake is a great little lens. If (if...) I buy an X-T1, I'll keep the 27 on my X-E1, makes a powerful little package.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,710Gear list
Like?
Re: Split-image any good?

57LowRider wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

No, the split image focus aid is definitely not worth the extra money IMO. What is worth the money is the faster AF, much nicer, smother EVF, built-in WiFi that will soon work with Fuji Camera Remote and Apple IOS devices, and being more future-proof due to the faster processing chip and PDAF points on the sensor. Fuji will probably update the X-Trans II cameras over the next year or two like they did with the original X-E1.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?

A year ago the XE1 was the cats meow, the darling if mirrorless cameras, then it got better with several significant firmware updates. Today it is yesterdays news but that is how it goes, don't blink.

The new XE2 is a little better for focusing speed, 14 instead of 12bit raws a few other improvements And faster processor. Depending on how you shoot these differences might add up to nothing at all, or be very useful.

just know this going in, current Fuji cameras are wonderful for still photography. If you want to track moving subjects, look elsewhere. Know this going in and you will not be disappointed.

Not all XE1 users feel any need to upgrade. I am one of those happy XE1 users. Some people can afford to have the latest technology and can upgrade each year, I had a Nikon D300 for 5 years before changing cameras, it just worked.

But, if buying into the system, the XE2 might be a better bet since you can relax for a few years. Of course in a few months some XE2 users will sell for the XT1 and that will be the new darling of the lineup.

Know your needs. The best investment is always in the lenses and your own skills, the camera is the bridge of that meet your needs.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125
Like?

WT21 wrote:

The XE-1 also has 3x/10x magnification in the EVF. The button control of this feature is quick and easy. It is a great way to do manual focus and more accurate with focus peak off.

PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?

WT21 wrote:

I have today the 6D, NEX6 and Canon M1. With the X-T1, that looks like a body I'd love, but down the road. I can't afford it just yet, as I need both a larger body for flash, and a compact body.

So I'm thinking of the XE1 + XM1 (or maybe an XA1) to start. I'd get the 2.8-4 kit lens, the 35/1.4 and the 55-200 zoom, and would like to use some legacy lenses (I have an FD 50mm macro and a Rokkor 45/2 which I like a lot. I might also possibly get the 23 pancake.

Go for the X-E1 for now.  The EVF is infinitely useful.  Great deals.  XE1 + XM1... Why?

Silkypix is clumsy to use, but doable.

Yes.  Only difference is you have to use stop-down metering techniques or go full manual.  Fuji lenses are so good I only use my Nikon macro as Fuji's 60mm only goes to 1/2 life-size.

X-E1, Yes.  Switchable.

I have the 55-200.  Not speedy… nor is my 80-200 f/2.8D on my Nikon.  Actually the AF is much faster than my Nikon.

EF-X20 cycle times are slow because of AAA batteries, but love that EV comp dial on top!  Pop-up flash accuracy and range is a significant reason why I chose the X-E1.  I'm going shopping this afternoon so I think I'll check out the EF-20 with it's AA batteries.

I'm very happy with the IQ, coming from a D200 + D700.

AF is sketchy in low light with the zooms... unless you're in Times Square that's lit like a nuclear detonation.

Battery life is poor, but similar to NEX.  Always carry a spare.

Thanks for any help.

Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

WT21 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

First of all, I would like to say that I love my x-e1. That said, I have many regrets:

- AF works differently with the Fuji lenses. The pancake has no aperture ring, and the 23mm f1. 4, 35mm do not display the dof scale in manual focus ( you have to look at the dof scale engraved on the lens). You can not use the AF-L button in manual to quickly focus, I love using it with the other lenses. The way it behaves varies with the lenses, this choice is not really consistent and a bit irritating.  This is my first complain.

- The speed selector becomes useless because now you can select a minimum shutter speed in the menu, which is better for most photographers.

- the focus peaking is not stunning. But this is a nice improvement.

- you have no software to process the raw exactly the same way as the in body raw converter

- the screw tripod mount is not centered in the axis of the lens. This is better if you want to shoot piano. You can add the grip if you want to have it centered.

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?

WT21 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Maybe consider the X-T1 a little more? Here's why:

If by flash, you mean full-size flash, then you will likely need to add a grip to the X-E1 to feel secure. I did it a few times with my X-E1, and I found it really unstable, I was constantly afraid I was going to drop the whole thing.

As far as size, tt looks like to me that the X-T1 will be bigger than the X-E only by the size of the grip and a little bit of the 'prism housing', and the height of the camera body will actually be shorter. I have not seen the X-M1 and the X-E1 side-by-side in rl, but from pics, the X-M1 does not seem that much smaller than the X-E. And once you put anything other than the 27mm pancake on it, the X-M1 is not going to be a small package. Just like the EOS-M, if you put the 18-55 on it.

I would be curious what it is you don't like about the systems you have, why you are considering getting rid of all three, and moving to Fuji? The sort of pics you take, and your shooting style might help people answer your open-ended questions a bit better.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?

What ever you do keep your 6D.

Fuji is very nice and I tried the X-E1. Very nice but I decided for the X100 to accompany my dslr (7D).

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,653Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 8 months ago

PenPix wrote:

Go for the X-E1 for now. The EVF is infinitely useful. Great deals. XE1 + XM1... Why?

Because I want a compact option with a tilty LCD. Wish the XE had that. Tilty + EVF is really what I'd like.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to Limburger, 8 months ago

Limburger wrote:

What ever you do keep your 6D.

Fuji is very nice and I tried the X-E1. Very nice but I decided for the X100 to accompany my dslr (7D).

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Yes, if you can afford two systems, a dSLR and a mirrorless, that is a good way to go. At least it is what I would do if I could.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
57LowRider
Like?
In reply to Christof21, 8 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

- The speed selector becomes useless because now you can select a minimum shutter speed in the menu, which is better for most photographers.

Although I use the min shutter speed / Auto ISO a lot, there are often times when I resort to full manual. Useless it isn't.

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125
Like?
In reply to Christof21, 8 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

- you have no software to process the raw exactly the same way as the in body raw converter

Sadly, this is true of every one of the half dozen cameras from various manufacturers that I've used.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads