D800/e users...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
D800/e users...
11 months ago

If you're anything other than an exclusively landscape photographer, do you find the extra megapixels a blessing or a curse? Is the camera versatile enough to take good family photos (I have a very mobile 3yr old at home!) as well as portraits, sports etc?

If you had the choice again, would you still choose D800 over the D610?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +1 more
Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: D800/e users...
In reply to Al Downie, 11 months ago

i certainly would, and i shoot just about everything. you may have to bump the ISO to get shots of the kids in motion, but the penalty is small in terms of noise in anything but the worst-lit places. just like anything else, it's enough of a technological leap that you will have to get used to the camera. the first few days, i was a little disappointed at my shots' sharpness, but after about a week my results got much better.

i really like the big files. i know that is one of the first things the naysayers shout about, but if you have a reasonably fast PC and a couple of USB 3.0 external hard disks, the editing and storage are quite manageable, to me. i don't crop a lot, but if you ever want to, the files are big enough that you can hack mercilessly and still have a lot of image left over.

i do tend to shoot with "better" glass, mostly f/1.4 primes, but even my MF nikkors seems to shine on the D800.

ever since the D300, i've pretty much stuck with the pro-level bodies, so this is one reason i won't discount in choosing the D800 over a D600 (although i had my D800 long before the D600 came out). there are just so many extra features, over and above the 51-point AF -- that i use, and that make this class of body more desirable for me.

all that said, i have no knock against the D600, and i've seen plenty of very nice pieces on this site and elsewhere that convince me that it's a solid choice. if, in the end, the cost, size and feature set of the D800 seem excessive, choose the D610. i'm sure you'll be pleased either way.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

The D800(E) is not a family snapshot camera.

It is a professional tool that has it's feet clearly planted in MF territory.

If you want a snapshot camera, buy a point and shoot.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
tiko
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?

To answer your specific  concern about family pictures of your child, I find the D800 a blessing. It's no walk in the park though; you will have to work on technique quite a bit to get razor sharp images of an active 3 year old, but the results are amazing. And the ability to crop and still have lots of detail is a bonus.

-- hide signature --

@AT

tiko's gear list:tiko's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,718
Like?

I have found that I spend less time making adjustments to my files due to the dynamic range of the camera, small adjustments only are need to bring out the sky and shadow details, the cropping ability is another advantage, due to my age there are times when I am not nimble enough to get to the heart of the action but I can get a shot off as a banker and continue to move closer if the image is still there, not the ideal way but a workable method.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,222
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

If you're anything other than an exclusively landscape photographer, do you find the extra megapixels a blessing or a curse? Is the camera versatile enough to take good family photos (I have a very mobile 3yr old at home!) as well as portraits, sports etc?

There really is no significant downside to the megapixels apart from storage capacity current memory prices that's not a big issue. The extra megapixels give an upgrade to every lens (the better ones more than the worse, but the worse gain something). One thing I do frequently with the D800 is use a 'half size' raw conversion - rather than demosaicking it simply reduces a bayer RGBG quad into one output pixel, which gives a very nice 9MP output file suitable for smaller outputs. The croppability of the 36MP image can be a get out of jail card, and at 1.2x mode it whips along at 5FPS 25MP. All in all a pretty useful all round camera.

My previous system was Canon. I would not have changed systems for the D610.

-- hide signature --

Bob

mais51
Senior MemberPosts: 1,186Gear list
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al

Coming from D300s yes I'd choose the D800 again, actually the D800 is perfect for family snap shot due to its extremely fast focus and start up, the massive sensor size also helps with cropping - you need this because with kids one just do have time to react

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Ralf C. Kohlrausch
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
In reply to mais51, 11 months ago

Hi,

the camera's AF definitely is up to it. I find light lenses like the Nikon AF-D 2/35 focus faster than the supposedly more versatile Tokina 2,8/28-80 AF-D . You will benefit from fast focusing AF-S-lenses, not so much from "fast" glas like 1,4 lenses, as depth of field will be too shallow. Better go for indirect flash, probalbly with a combination of one mainlight on the camera in i-ttl and a second flash on a bracket - either connected via wireless as a slave or set to a supporting manual fraction like 1/4 and the main flash to -1. As both can be tilted and swivelled individually you can light just about anywhere. And little kids tend to play on the floor with their heads down.

I find pictures from a D800 have an enormous latitude for post but don't need much. So the bigger files don't really cost more time on the PC. And believe me. You'll get used to the sharpness. Definitely. The high resolution helps to bring out the best from the existing lenses and has reserves for the correction of aberrrations, so buying expensive hi-res-lenses isn't a must (but nice anyway).

Yes, I would recommend this to a friend ;-

Greets

Ralf C.

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?

I find the D800 a curse all the time. it keeps making me want to take photos and nothing else gets done.

Seriously though all cameras will have 36mp or sometime soon so why worry.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +4 more
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al

Unless your computer is so old that it will choke on larger files (or perhaps if you are a high-volume event photographer), the larger file size from the D800 shouldn't be a concern. Other factors should weigh heavier in the purchase decision, for example differences in controls or focus system.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I use my D800E for everything, but not too often. I really like my D600 for grab and go, and I sometimes think if all I had left was my D7100 I would be fine. Both are tremendously satisfying cameras. I use fast prime lenses almost exclusively on everything. When I want family photos for posterity I use the D800E. The photos have a pop I have never gotten consistently with anything else.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

If you're anything other than an exclusively landscape photographer, do you find the extra megapixels a blessing or a curse?

Yes.

Is the camera versatile enough to take good family photos (I have a very mobile 3yr old at home!) as well as portraits, sports etc?

Yes.

Yes, definitely.

Thanks for any thoughts!

You are welcome.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, 11 months ago

GodSpeaks wrote:

The D800(E) is not a family snapshot camera.

Why?

It is a professional tool that has it's feet clearly planted in MF territory.

No, it isn't MF, it is just FF with a 36MP sensor.

If you want a snapshot camera, buy a point and shoot.

Why? What would a P&S do better than the D800?

Al Downie
Like?
In reply to Ralf C. Kohlrausch, 11 months ago

Hi all, and thanks very much for the comments so far!

Ralf, I'm particularly interested in this:

You will benefit from fast focusing AF-S-lenses, not so much from "fast" glas like 1,4 lenses, as depth of field will be too shallow.

The combination I was thinking about was the D800e and the 85mm f1.4G. Are you saying that there's something about the D800/e that makes the 85 1.4 more difficult to use than it would be on any other body? I've seen many ambiguous reviews which say something similar, but I'm not sure if they mean that my pictures will be rubbish, or simply no better than a 'normal' DSLR until I've mastered the technique for exploiting the huge resolution.

Thanks again,

Al

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +1 more
Al Downie
Like?
In reply to Still Image, 11 months ago

Still Image wrote:

I use my D800E for everything, but not too often. I really like my D600 for grab and go, and I sometimes think if all I had left was my D7100 I would be fine. Both are tremendously satisfying cameras. I use fast prime lenses almost exclusively on everything. When I want family photos for posterity I use the D800E. The photos have a pop I have never gotten consistently with anything else.

Hi Still Image,

I'm curious about why you'd choose to leave the D800 behind and take one of the other cameras in preference. Slower and more demanding to use? Or just heavier?!

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Hi all, and thanks very much for the comments so far!

Ralf, I'm particularly interested in this:

You will benefit from fast focusing AF-S-lenses, not so much from "fast" glas like 1,4 lenses, as depth of field will be too shallow.

The combination I was thinking about was the D800e and the 85mm f1.4G. Are you saying that there's something about the D800/e that makes the 85 1.4 more difficult to use than it would be on any other body? I've seen many ambiguous reviews which say something similar, but I'm not sure if they mean that my pictures will be rubbish, or simply no better than a 'normal' DSLR until I've mastered the technique for exploiting the huge resolution.

Thanks again,

Al

I think he is only referring to you wanting to shoot fast moving kids.  The AF is up to the task.  Get fast focusing AF-S lenses.  He's is saying that if you get 1.4 fast lenses with the intention of keeping the ISO as low as possible by shooting at f/1.4 you will probably be disappointed because the shallow DOF at f/1.4 will probably not result in good focus on fast moving subjects.

That's my interpretation of what I read.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,851Gear list
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al

I do landscape, I do cityscapes, I do street photography, I do available light photography. I shoot training and racing thoroughbreds.   If I am not shooting film I shoot a D800E.  The only time I shoot film these days is with my 4x5.  Is the D800E the best for all the above - maybe yes maybe no but it is good enough that I can make it work quite well and it is very good.  I might one day drop 8 to 10 K to get a Leica to supplement my D800E but right now I'm quite happy which is why I haven't dropped 8 to 10 K.

If you want to drop 3K for a camera - the D800 or D800E will work fine for you.  It will probably do all you need it to do.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +7 more
3sgilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 11 months ago

I have the 800e and 7100...( after seeing now problems with the 7100 not having the AA filter why not go with the E? I got a smoking deal anyway )...

Its funny you asked this because lately I have been amused that I shoot a portrait of a bride with a 36mp D800e using pretty good glass ( the new Tamron VC line ) and my wife promptly runs it through a process to remove all detail ( minus eyes ) in face

I love the camera but the DX mode is right at useless if your doing it to get the 6fps, trying to shoot tight action and keep it within the penalty box shot as basketball shot tightly it an exercise in self mutilation.....1.2 is MUCH more usable...IMHO the damn camera would be perfect if they had squeezed 6fps out of it and kept its raw buffer...absolutely perfect....so many situations when 4fps just doesnt get it done BUT the AF is NOT remotely the bottle neck and for most action neither is the frame rate...its when you have to worry about wing phasing or driving to the basket sequences where the perfect shot is mathematically less possible to capture.....I still say if I could only have one camera this would be it...that said

The d610 will probably do all you need it to and is itself a good compromise of Resolution, High ISO, and Speed ( 6fps ) if IT was in the larger d800 chassis I would buy it in a heart beat and sell my d800 then use my 7100 for ultimate reach in good light...

-- hide signature --

Shawn

3sgilbert's gear list:3sgilbert's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
bocajrs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?

Coming from a D600, I would still choose to buy the D800 out of the gate..it's that good IMO and more camera that'll need for the next several years

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?

Al Downie wrote:

Seldom shoot landscapes or use a tripod. Great all-around camera for me. Excellent for everything. I crank up the shutterspeed and shoots all kinds of marine life in 36mp. Portraits are almost too sharp. My wife is afraid of it.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al

In a heartbeat. All that detail is addicting and the IQ allows you to pull incredible detail out of shadows. It is very forgiving of bad exposure on the part of the photographer. My only complaint is 4fps in full raw, which is not so bad when you get used to it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads