SX260HS, sometimes AF gives me shallow DOF sometimes it doesnt?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jam3sd121
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
SX260HS, sometimes AF gives me shallow DOF sometimes it doesnt?
6 months ago

I shoot in manual, today doing some testing.

When I held up something white (for instance a white usb charger end) and put it far (like 1 foot) away from my background it was giving me reasonable out of focus background which is what i want. Obviously my aperture only goes to f3.5.

Sometimes placing different objects against the same background the whole background was coming in focus.

Any idea why this happens?

WB5
WB5
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
Re: SX260HS, sometimes AF gives me shallow DOF sometimes it doesnt?
In reply to jam3sd121, 6 months ago

jam3sd121 wrote:

I shoot in manual, today doing some testing.

When I held up something white (for instance a white usb charger end) and put it far (like 1 foot) away from my background it was giving me reasonable out of focus background which is what i want. Obviously my aperture only goes to f3.5.

Sometimes placing different objects against the same background the whole background was coming in focus.

Any idea why this happens?

A guess: the SX260 sometimes fails to find contrast in the foregroud (uniform white objects aren't exactly overflowing with contrast) and decides to focus on something else insteads, in this case part of the background.

Maybe try to focus (single point focus mode) on a contrast between the white charger and the surface it is placed on? If that surface is also white, it would be hard for the IF to find anything to focus on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads