Panasonic G6

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
brownei
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Panasonic G6
7 months ago

Whoops; Like a dumby I posted this in Panasonic compact section yesterday. Mods welcome to removed it

I would really appreciate thoughts from those who have (or had) or have used the panasonic G6

Why did you choose it or didn't buy it?

Yep; seriously thinking about it to replace the Canon 5d11. It looks on paper to be a good mate for the FZ200 with a very similar lay out. Thinking atm of no zooms and only one or two prime lenses

And why replace the 5D? Just don't use it.....was bought as a work camera for aerials....no need for large wall photos these days......the lumix 200 does all I want although I do like the one camera/one [prime] lens thing. Was thinking about a Fuji x100 but not sure the 35mm only would suit me where as I can add lenses to the G6 system if get carried away.

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,270
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

my reasons

  • great feature set
  • I like that mini DSLR form factor
  • beautiful in the hand
  • I loved my G5 and this is much better
  • IQ good
  • best value for money on the market especially if you can get it when it's on a bargain sale.
  • Lots of great m4/3s cameras out there but this is the one that was made for me as its crash test dummy.

The only only m4/3s camera out there that makes me hanker after something better is the E-M1 and at the moment it's too expensive and I'd really miss the articulating screen.

Watch these forums and what do you notice about G6 users, they take pictures and not experimental shots to show how good the IBIS or dynamic range is.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 7 months ago

I am waiting for mine to arrive in the next 2-3 days. Why, I want it for the video since I am doing more of that recently. The EPL-5 video is OK but not great and I am looking for something better which, I believe will be the case for the G6.

I don't expect the jpegs to be any better than the EPL-5 so I am prepared to use both cameras together, the EPL-5 for stills and the G6 predominantly for video.

Secondly, I use the VF2 exclusively on the EPL-5 and will appreciate a built-in viewfinder. I understand the OLED viewfinder is very good.

The fully articulating screen is also a plus for me. The EPL-5 has limited articulation so I will see an improvement in that area. Generally I will see areas of improvement in the shortcomings of the EPL-5.

For me I believe it is the right choice.

Ron

 Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Øyvin Eikeland
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

My reasons at the time of purchase:

- I chose it over the canon 100d because I thought the canon lenses were way too big. More specifically I couldnt find any small 20mm for the canon.

- I chose it over the omd em5 because I liked the viewfinder better, the 14-140 kit lens looked good and the good video quality can come handy (i have kids). I knew (from reading reviews) that the em5 should have better low light performance.

- I chose it over the nex6 mostly because I hate Sony menus and I think the ergonomics of the nex seem a bit off. Lens selection was also better for mft.

- I chose it over the gx7 because og the price and the great Deal I got with the 14-140.

I did not concider the Fuji x system. Maybe I should have.

Øyvin E

 Øyvin Eikeland's gear list:Øyvin Eikeland's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
machrie
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

I bought my G6 for two main reasons. Firstly, I had a G1 and really enjoyed using it. Convenient size and weight and did most things that I wanted. Good IQ too I thought.

Also I already had 3 lenses bought for the G1.

Really enjoying the G6. Although I find it handy to grab and go - I am thinking of buying a FZ200 as a companion to the G6.

G6 group here with pool of photos.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

 machrie's gear list:machrie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

I chose the G6 because of its light, compact, ergonomic form factor along with the really superb set of features, including focus peaking in manual focusing, touch screen and the number of customisable controls.

It is particularly compact with the super 14/140 10x zoom lens and I can easily carry it by its grip, just using my fingertips for long periods with no discomfort.

Video is great and so is the Panasonic wi-fi app.

It is such a good camera that I've bought a second one, partly due to the superb value for money of this camera. Have sold a Nikon DSLR to make room for it and lessen the pain for my wallet.

The menu system has taken a bit of getting used to and is one of two features I prefer on the Sony Alpha. The other is Sony's focus peaking which offers several colours and more distinct peaking.

No matter what kit you get, the trick is to get to know it as if it was an extension of your body and mind, to get the best from it as quickly and efficiently as possible with minimal head-scratching. All cameras [and other kit, like a car] are different to each other with their own faults and advantages, but the purpose of all cameras is common, to record images. Never forget that.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

As a long time Canon 7d user (and a host of nikons prior to that), I like how the camera feels in my hand.  When I first held it I thought it was a plasticky POS.  Now, after owning it for a month, I think other cameras feel strange.

I like using the 45-150 lens.  Quite a nice telephoto and so tiny!  More than acceptable sharpness at the tele end of things too.

I even use the touch screen and us old guys aren't supposed to like them.  The EVF took me about 5 minutes to get used to.  Don't know why so many gripe about EVFs.  The g6 has a nice one.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

 Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?
Good choice
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

G6 is a great way to get into m4/3 - it isn't hideously expensive, it handles well, and produces good results. It seems consistently reliable and quite boring. In my experience, it is way better than the E-M5 in ergonomics and reliability.

Coming from DSLR the handling is similar, albeit in a smaller package. The biggest change is the move to EVF, and once you make the move you'll wonder why people stick with OVF with its small size, lack of information and often no focusing aids or even zoom view.

The articulated LCD is indispensable for any photography where you aren't just standing upright and taking photos of your cat or grandchildren. Great for nature and outdoors shots, pet photography, macro photography etc.

I got a G6 to complement my E-P1, didn't want two bodies with the same form factor but I did want to use the same lenses. Is there any other lens mount that allows you to do this?

I wouldn't put too much weight on people's comments as to why they didn't buy a G6, after all people who don't own a G6 far outnumber those who do, and there is a LOT of choice in the m4/3 system.

Oh yeah - don't discount the usefulness of the kit zooms, both of them (the 14-42 and the 45-150) are really very excellent.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brownei
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 7 months ago

Thanks for that Trevor, I was looking at your bird photos just before finding your reply.

The screen is a +++ factor for me  as is the very similar to the lumux fZ200 lay out. I'm tiring of having to learn new layouts. Or old lay outs for that matter; I was a bit lost the other day when I was using 5D11

I have an eye open open for specials however most specials in Australia relate to canon/nikon

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

brownei wrote:

Thanks for that Trevor, I was looking at your bird photos just before finding your reply.

The screen is a +++ factor for me as is the very similar to the lumux fZ200 lay out. I'm tiring of having to learn new layouts. Or old lay outs for that matter; I was a bit lost the other day when I was using 5D11

I have an eye open open for specials however most specials in Australia relate to canon/nikon

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

Yes, the layout is very similar indeed. The main difference [among many less obvious] is the ability to use the touchscreen on the G6 for many functions and controls. Only if you choose to do so of course.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to Aberaeron, 7 months ago

Aberaeron wrote:

I chose the G6 because of its light, compact, ergonomic form factor along with the really superb set of features, including focus peaking in manual focusing, touch screen and the number of customisable controls.

It is particularly compact with the super 14/140 10x zoom lens and I can easily carry it by its grip, just using my fingertips for long periods with no discomfort.

Video is great and so is the Panasonic wi-fi app.

It is such a good camera that I've bought a second one, partly due to the superb value for money of this camera. Have sold a Nikon DSLR to make room for it and lessen the pain for my wallet.

The menu system has taken a bit of getting used to and is one of two features I prefer on the Sony Alpha. The other is Sony's focus peaking which offers several colours and more distinct peaking.

No matter what kit you get, the trick is to get to know it as if it was an extension of your body and mind, to get the best from it as quickly and efficiently as possible with minimal head-scratching. All cameras [and other kit, like a car] are different to each other with their own faults and advantages, but the purpose of all cameras is common, to record images. Never forget that.

It's just a shame that Panasonic did not include the same new and improved sensor in the G6 that was put in the GX7/GM1!!! What a tragic marketing/management decision that was. Oh well, there is always hopes for the G7

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

My decision for the G6 was its price and the fact it had an articulated screen.

My Pentax gear was lacking in that regard and when they were selling the G6 with two lens at one heck of a price, I bit the bullet. And, I have been very pleased with the purchase.

GR

 grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aroundomaha
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
I returned it
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

I bought it and returned it. I loved the features, even the form factor but thought there was an odd noise factor that bugged me.

At odd times I would see what personally seemed like strong image degradation due to noise that I never felt was there with my GH2.

One other odd thing was it seemed like there was rolling shutter distortion. This may sound odd to some but I find myself shooting from a car a fair amount. When shooting with a fairly long focal length (a Nikon 75-150mm lens in my case) there was what I can best describe as a rolling shutter "leaning" geometry to straight lines.

This was 1/640 shutter speed the car I was a passenger in was moving at about 40 mph. It was at 300mm focal length. I found this behavior consistent.

I really did like the camera but found odd quirks that took away from my enjoyment.

brownei wrote:

Whoops; Like a dumby I posted this in Panasonic compact section yesterday. Mods welcome to removed it

I would really appreciate thoughts from those who have (or had) or have used the panasonic G6

Why did you choose it or didn't buy it?

Yep; seriously thinking about it to replace the Canon 5d11. It looks on paper to be a good mate for the FZ200 with a very similar lay out. Thinking atm of no zooms and only one or two prime lenses

And why replace the 5D? Just don't use it.....was bought as a work camera for aerials....no need for large wall photos these days......the lumix 200 does all I want although I do like the one camera/one [prime] lens thing. Was thinking about a Fuji x100 but not sure the 35mm only would suit me where as I can add lenses to the G6 system if get carried away.

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://aroundomaha.blogspot.com
Home of the wannabe photographer!

 aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffinvan
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to machrie, 7 months ago

I used to shoot with my Pentax K-5, often marvelling at how compact it was. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a GX-1 as a portable shooter and really started to understand what "compact" meant.
When the G6 came out, I picked one up shortly after release as I was looking for a DSLR-style m43 body and couldn't be happier with my choice.

While I haven't posted much recently on my Flickr photo stream, there's a reasonably good variety of shots in different shooting conditions which might help give you a sense of what the camera can do.

 jeffinvan's gear list:jeffinvan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brownei
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to jeffinvan, 7 months ago

WOW; thanks for positive, and the one negative feedback. I have read them all, checked out the flickr sites and I really appreciate your time. My flickr site

ATM I have in mind a body and 20mm lens. I really want to keep photography simple as possible

But as the standard kit lens would only add a $100 odd extra I may as well get it

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brownei
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to Ron Joiner, 7 months ago

Ron Joiner wrote:

I am waiting for mine to arrive in the next 2-3 days. Why, I want it for the video since I am doing more of that recently. The EPL-5 video is OK but not great and I am looking for something better which, I believe will be the case for the G6.

I don't expect the jpegs to be any better than the EPL-5 so I am prepared to use both cameras together, the EPL-5 for stills and the G6 predominantly for video.

Secondly, I use the VF2 exclusively on the EPL-5 and will appreciate a built-in viewfinder. I understand the OLED viewfinder is very good.

The fully articulating screen is also a plus for me. The EPL-5 has limited articulation so I will see an improvement in that area. Generally I will see areas of improvement in the shortcomings of the EPL-5.

For me I believe it is the right choice.

Ron

Thanks for your time Ron. Never done any video with with a "still"

Guess who don't hit the post button several hours ago

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?
Re: I returned it
In reply to aroundomaha, 7 months ago

Did you return it before figuring out how to turn off Electronic Shutter?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
here is a ultrashort review
In reply to brownei, 7 months ago

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=3600

but stay away from the power zoom.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6
In reply to Grobb, 7 months ago

tron555 wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

I chose the G6 because of its light, compact, ergonomic form factor along with the really superb set of features, including focus peaking in manual focusing, touch screen and the number of customisable controls.

It is particularly compact with the super 14/140 10x zoom lens and I can easily carry it by its grip, just using my fingertips for long periods with no discomfort.

Video is great and so is the Panasonic wi-fi app.

It is such a good camera that I've bought a second one, partly due to the superb value for money of this camera. Have sold a Nikon DSLR to make room for it and lessen the pain for my wallet.

The menu system has taken a bit of getting used to and is one of two features I prefer on the Sony Alpha. The other is Sony's focus peaking which offers several colours and more distinct peaking.

No matter what kit you get, the trick is to get to know it as if it was an extension of your body and mind, to get the best from it as quickly and efficiently as possible with minimal head-scratching. All cameras [and other kit, like a car] are different to each other with their own faults and advantages, but the purpose of all cameras is common, to record images. Never forget that.

It's just a shame that Panasonic did not include the same new and improved sensor in the G6 that was put in the GX7/GM1!!! What a tragic marketing/management decision that was. Oh well, there is always hopes for the G7

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

"Tragic" is a word that shouldn't be used lightly and certainly not in this case. There is nothing wrong with the G6 sensor and it is obviously a current design. The image engine of the camera has been improved over the previous model and so has the feature set and software. What's not to like?

They can update the sensor and design all they want for the next generation; it will not make the G6 less of a camera.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
Re: I returned it
In reply to hindesite, 7 months ago

hindesite wrote:

Did you return it before figuring out how to turn off Electronic Shutter?

-- hide signature --

Amazing, isn't it. That people can't figure out the absolute basic features of their cameras. One wonders whether the thought that maybe they were missing something obvious had ever crossed their mind.

Not getting sanctimonious here, because I come across this kind of thing often in various walks of life. Indeed I am guilty of missing the obvious myself on a regular basis, the difference being that I'm not afraid to RTFM, research, and ask others for answers to any problem.

 Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads