Another bad K-3, what is with this.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Paulypicture
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Another bad K-3, what is with this.
11 months ago

Two big events this weekend that I am shooting. I finally gave in and ordered with B&H. The K-3, DA 50 1.8, Sandisk extreme card 32gb, d-bg5 grip, and the DA 10-17mm. All for $1743.90. Got it all last night, fast shipping, good job B&H. Last night i took 280 pics trying to set up 6 favorite lens's to focus properly, no luck with this camera. Focus never stays the same and is all over the place. When it hits right the picture is very sharp and great. Sending it back to B&H for replacement. I am sure it is not me because I take a lot of pics, mostly in dark night clubs. I own the K100, K7, Kr, K5 and the K5lls, so I know what I am doing. Love the K5lls. Wish me luck.

My two most used lens are the Tamron 2.8 17-50 and the 2.8 70-200, then the FA 50 1.4.

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Here we go again ...
In reply to Paulypicture, 11 months ago

OP of three posts only, one in Pentax SLR forum to 'complain' about the K-3 and/or his/hers lack of patience:

• To read similar posts posted here before and many resolutions from people who were more studious and patient in understanding the K-3
  • To justify his/her own worth by respecting other people's time
  • Not to unnecessarily start rampages, and endless repetitions of same ill-conclusions about the worth of photography equipment purchased
-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Another bad K-3, what is with this.

Paulypicture wrote:

Focus never stays the same and is all over the place. When it hits right the picture is very sharp and great. Sending it back to B&H for replacement. I am sure it is not me because I take a lot of pics, mostly in dark night clubs. I own the K100, K7, Kr, K5 and the K5lls, so I know what I am doing.

There are a lot more AF options on the K-3 than previous Pentax bodies. Are you sure it's a defective body and not a setting? What focus method are you using? Which AF points?

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Gosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?

I too was ready to send my K-3 back the next day after using it!  But with some better photo techniques that I have forgotten, I am very happy with the focusing and quality!

-- hide signature --

Gosman

Gosman's gear list:Gosman's gear list
Pentax K-3
edspen
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to Gosman, 11 months ago

I always check my gear with manual focus first, looking for vibration (mirror-slap, etc.). Then I AF on a flat surface (brick wall) to check repeatability. My K bodies each have a personality of their own, but as you say "Patience" serves them all. Default settings on gear can be a pain, especially the "easy modes". You'd think high-end/semi-pro/flagship gear wouldn't come in default setting "Dinghy".

-- hide signature --

Ed

Paulypicture
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

Thanks Dan and Gosman, I'm quite sure it is the body. I shoot AF>S and I always use the center point only. I have over 5000 clicks on my K-5lls and love it .  I shoot a lot in quite dark clubs and bars and the k-5lls focus is great, I love it. After shooting so much with the 5 and the 5lls, they are like my third hand in the dark.  I have a lot of faith in the k3, but I think i just have a problem with this one. I will get it replaced.  I'm quite excited about it. My 5lls will do great this weekend like it always does, even at 0 degrees as it will be here in Green Bay, WI. I am reading this site probably 300 days a year and love all you guys for all you do on here. Keep up the good work.

kh1234567890
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

I'm amazed that the fanboys will never give up. The K-3 has less than a quarter extra resolution over the K-5 etc. It should not be rocket science to get as sharp shots with it as you can with the other models. If enough of them get returned and end up in landfill Ricoh might get the point that there is something up with it.

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,651
Like?
Re: Here we go again ...
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 11 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

OP of three posts only, one in Pentax SLR forum to 'complain' about the K-3 and/or his/hers lack of patience:

• To read similar posts posted here before and many resolutions from people who were more studious and patient in understanding the K-3
  • Not to unnecessarily start rampages, and endless repetitions of same ill-conclusions about the worth of photography equipment purchased
-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Is there an English translation of this?

audiobomber
Like?

Paulypicture wrote:

Thanks Dan and Gosman, I'm quite sure it is the body. I shoot AF>S and I always use the center point only. I have over 5000 clicks on my K-5lls and love it .

Too bad, sounds like you got a duff K-3 alright. Mine's in for service now, had the runaway mirror problem that first showed up in K-5's.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
audiobomber
Like?
In reply to kh1234567890, 11 months ago

kh1234567890 wrote:

I'm amazed that the fanboys will never give up. The K-3 has less than a quarter extra resolution over the K-5 etc. It should not be rocket science to get as sharp shots with it as you can with the other models. If enough of them get returned and end up in landfill Ricoh might get the point that there is something up with it.

Are you trying to say that all K-3's have sharpness issues? If so, I can assure you as an owner that you are wrong.

-- hide signature --

Dan

il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Re: Here we go again ...
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 11 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

I guess you one of these few, right?

That's actually a good one. You have to try it yourself.

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Twojugs
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 11 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

kh1234567890 wrote:

Are you trying to say that all K-3's have sharpness issues? If so, I can assure you as an owner that you are wrong.

-- hide signature --

Dan

But if he is trying to say that SOME K-3's have sharpness issues that are corrected by a trip to Pentax, then I can assure you as an owner of one, that he is correct. With all the reports so far, there can be no doubt that a significant number is K-3's have shipped with problems.

Tony

Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Twojugs, 11 months ago

Twojugs wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

kh1234567890 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dan

But if he is trying to say that SOME K-3's have sharpness issues that are corrected by a trip to Pentax, then I can assure you as an owner of one, that he is correct. With all the reports so far, there can be no doubt that a significant number is K-3's have shipped with problems.

Completely false; all we can say is - like every camera ever made - there are some bad units out there and there is always a chance of getting two (or more!) in a row. Since you have no real data other than a few reports (nowhere near enough to be a real data point), we have absolutely NO IDEA how many K-3's have shipped with problems. It's entirely possible that the K-3 has a high defect rate, and it's entirely possible that the K-3 has a very low defect rate. Only Ricoh and those who service these cameras knows the truth. However, I sympathize with the OP, and understand his frustration.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
konanon
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

For what's it's worth, my first K-3 was a dud. It had a remarkable back focus problem that tweaking did not fix. I took it back to the store to test with different lenses.

With the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, it had the same problem. It only took about 3 shutter clicks to convince the sales person. -7, +7, it didn't matter. Exchanged it for another one and problem fixed. I haven't looked back since.

As for the lack of sharpness some are complaining about, I recall when the first few Nikon 24 mp were released (D600, D5200, D7100), users on the Nikon side of the house had similar complaints. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve with 24mp sensors. I haven't observed those problems with my K-3 (the second one that is). It's one hell of a camera.

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
edspen
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, 11 months ago

And that, is why when prices drop, you grab a backup body. I'm not rich, but I love my hobby. I'm not going to pine over unfocused photons because the QC guy had a liquid lunch. Lens come off, then on the backup, I'll get out the warranty card later. Better to take pictures, than antacids !

-- hide signature --

Ed

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921Gear list
Like?
Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Gosman wrote:

I too was ready to send my K-3 back the next day after using it! But with some better photo techniques that I have forgotten, I am very happy with the focusing and quality!

-- hide signature --

Gosman

I did exactly the same thing after jumping to the D7000 from the D200. I did the same thing and took it back to the store. I was SOOO disappointed. A couple of weeks later i went back to the store and bought it again

It wasn't the camera, i just didn't know how to use the "new" one.

But it is possible your camera was bad too

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
kh1234567890
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
In reply to Twojugs, 11 months ago

Twojugs wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

kh1234567890 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dan

Tony

That is what I was trying to say. For whatever reason there appears to be either a design or QA/QC problem with the K-3. It is like the K-5 sensor stains episode all over again. Blaming it on some 'extra learning curve' needed to cope with the extra 20% resolution of the sensor or on user error is stupid. People seeing the problem are often not beginners. I for one will hold off buying until this is sorted by Ricoh.

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to konanon, 11 months ago

konanon wrote:

For what's it's worth, my first K-3 was a dud. It had a remarkable back focus problem that tweaking did not fix. I took it back to the store to test with different lenses.

With the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, it had the same problem. It only took about 3 shutter clicks to convince the sales person. -7, +7, it didn't matter. Exchanged it for another one and problem fixed. I haven't looked back since.

As for the lack of sharpness some are complaining about, I recall when the first few Nikon 24 mp were released (D600, D5200, D7100), users on the Nikon side of the house had similar complaints.

Similar complaints?  D600?  No, I went through that one and it was different than this.  My D600 = no problems at all, but one couldn't tell from the 1000s of dust/oil on the sensor threads out there that it was a decent camera.  Ultimately, this drove resell value down and forced Nikon to bring out the D610.  Trying to say (as some are, not necessarily you) K3 has general QA/QC problems based on this little volume and usage seems a bit ridiculous to me.

There is definitely a bit of a learning curve with 24mp sensors. I haven't observed those problems with my K-3 (the second one that is). It's one hell of a camera.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?

Sorry you got a bad one.  Since you got it from B&H, I doubt it was a previous return, but did you run exiftool on the shutter count when you first got the cam?  Well at least you've still got the, (what did you say?) K7 K5 K5II K5IIs K30 K-01 etc. you can still use.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Nuffin
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 11 months ago

My K3 is in service for backfocus issues. Kinda disappointed mine had this issue. I'm keen to see if the service department will blame it on the lens, the body, or me.

I spoke to a tech recently and he somewhat indicated that I wasn't testing my focus properly. We'll hello! If I focus on something (like batteries lined up at 45 degree angle) and get a focus indicator on the middle, if I take a shot (even with a tripod and on timer) why is it back focusing?

Nuffin's gear list:Nuffin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Pentax K-5 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads