Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
gbert15
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X
7 months ago

Recently, after seeing the rumored specs of the X-T1, I suddenly considered switching systems! The thing that was holding me back for the past few systems were the no tilt screen which helps me a lot in car photography and concerts, the slightly inferior evf(not really sure how good it is but it seems like the review points that the nex system had a better one), slow/inacurate af(again mostly from reviews but sony has the same thing but it seemed like fuji was worse in that department in the reviews compared to sony)!

I love how the rumored specs of the X-T1 seems to have addressed some of my concerns and it seems appropriate for me to jump ship already being that fuji trumps sony in the lens department hands down! Still unsure of the af of the X-T1 so I am still waiting for more leaks or its official release! Also, I wish fuji had the same flash as Sony where it was able to tilt sideways for portrait shots(is there a flash like that for fuji?)! Those are the only things holding me back plus the hassle of selling all my sony gear to migrate to fuji!

Are there any member that came from sony or even have a sony system as part of their gear? If so I would appreciate the input if its truly worth switching mounts! Thanks in advance and would appreciate the input!

gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
topstuff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X
In reply to gbert15, 7 months ago

I can see what you mean.

Fuji have been making all the right moves.

Constant improvement through firmware updates.

Relentless and ambitious and constant development of new lenses.

Basically , although I am a fan of Sony gear, Fuji have done all the things Sony should be doing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?

I migrated from Sony NEX (5n + 5t) with a full compliment of Sony and Sigma E-mount lenses along with the Zeiss 24mm. I too wanted a tilt-screen but went with two X-E2 bodies and now a full compliment of XF lenses and, importantly, Capture One to convert raw files (see my profile for lens specifics). I'm will add the X-T1 with grip as soon as it's available since it gets, well, just everything right in terms of control placement. I realized after I switched the degree to which I had missed the easy fluidity of analog controls. With the X-T1 you'll be abel to see all your basic settings with a glance of your eye, with direct finger control of each of them.

I lost nothing with this migration in terms of resolution (the Fuji lenses are excellent, e.g. the 23mm is superior to the Zeiss 24). Color reproduction is superior, most especially with jpegs, now that Capture One has settled the X-Trans problems of other conversion programs. Files "pop" with natural grace. I'm very pleased.

The original temptation for me was moving up to Sony A7/7r. But Fuji's XF lens line-up is well-thought out, is optically excellent, fits my hands well, and costs less than Sony's mostly still-to-be FF lenses. And Fuji's M-mount adapter, while relatively expensive, works exceptionally well with my Leica and Zeiss M-mount lenses and my LTM lenses.

If you want more feedback and reviews on going with Fuji XF, I suggest googling the "Admiring Light" webpage....

In sum: I have no regrets at all with switching from NEX and now that the hype of Sony A7/7r is settling down (see the review here of the A7), I'm not second-guessing that option either.

Tom Davis's gear list:Tom Davis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Tom Davis
Like?
In reply to topstuff, 7 months ago

p.s. I second the point about Fujifilm's firmware upgrades: they have established that they will honestly try to keep you up to date.

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
gbert15
Like?
In reply to topstuff, 7 months ago

topstuff wrote:

I can see what you mean.

Fuji have been making all the right moves.

Constant improvement through firmware updates.

Relentless and ambitious and constant development of new lenses.

Basically , although I am a fan of Sony gear, Fuji have done all the things Sony should be doing.

Yea, thats one point i forgot to mention about fuji! Spny basically has 1 or 2 updates on their cameras then thats it! Onto the new body! I like how fuji improves and shows dedication to their products!

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
gbert15
Like?
In reply to Tom Davis, 7 months ago

Tom Davis wrote:

I migrated from Sony NEX (5n + 5t) with a full compliment of Sony and Sigma E-mount lenses along with the Zeiss 24mm. I too wanted a tilt-screen but went with two X-E2 bodies and now a full compliment of XF lenses and, importantly, Capture One to convert raw files (see my profile for lens specifics). I'm will add the X-T1 with grip as soon as it's available since it gets, well, just everything right in terms of control placement. I realized after I switched the degree to which I had missed the easy fluidity of analog controls. With the X-T1 you'll be abel to see all your basic settings with a glance of your eye, with direct finger control of each of them.

I lost nothing with this migration in terms of resolution (the Fuji lenses are excellent, e.g. the 23mm is superior to the Zeiss 24). Color reproduction is superior, most especially with jpegs, now that Capture One has settled the X-Trans problems of other conversion programs. Files "pop" with natural grace. I'm very pleased.

The original temptation for me was moving up to Sony A7/7r. But Fuji's XF lens line-up is well-thought out, is optically excellent, fits my hands well, and costs less than Sony's mostly still-to-be FF lenses. And Fuji's M-mount adapter, while relatively expensive, works exceptionally well with my Leica and Zeiss M-mount lenses and my LTM lenses.

If you want more feedback and reviews on going with Fuji XF, I suggest googling the "Admiring Light" webpage....

In sum: I have no regrets at all with switching from NEX and now that the hype of Sony A7/7r is settling down (see the review here of the A7), I'm not second-guessing that option either.

Nice nice! Thanks for that info on your experience! Basically I am currently shooting with a NEX-6 right now and have the touit 12/2.8, zeiss 24/1.8, sony 55-210, and an adapted Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4 and I envy you guys a lot with all these fast lenses at your disposal! My current line up can easily be changed with better lenses if I migrate to fuji! The main selling point though is the 23/1.4 since that is my fav focal length and it seems to be one heck of a lens!

How was your experience though on af speed and the fuji menu system?I know the menu system if the nex is a mess so how much easier was the fuji menu system to use compared to the sony? I wish they had modern bodies though but its not a deal breaker at all! I am shooting with my camera anyway and not taking pics of it! Hehe!

Thanks for the reference! I will try to check it out!

gbert15
Like?

Btw, on raw file conversion, isnt there any installable codecs for your computer to read those raw files from fuji easily? Would I always need a converter for me to be able to see and the computer to read them?

Basically my process has been hooking my nex 6 to my comp then copying my raw files to my comp then importing them in lightroom then doing a little bit of editing from there and doing some photoshop editing after if needed! So my question is, would I need an extra step/s in order for me to proceed with my photo editing process with fuji?

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

gbert15 wrote:

Recently, after seeing the rumored specs of the X-T1, I suddenly considered switching systems! The thing that was holding me back for the past few systems were the no tilt screen which helps me a lot in car photography and concerts, the slightly inferior evf(not really sure how good it is but it seems like the review points that the nex system had a better one), slow/inacurate af(again mostly from reviews but sony has the same thing but it seemed like fuji was worse in that department in the reviews compared to sony)!

I love how the rumored specs of the X-T1 seems to have addressed some of my concerns and it seems appropriate for me to jump ship already being that fuji trumps sony in the lens department hands down! Still unsure of the af of the X-T1 so I am still waiting for more leaks or its official release! Also, I wish fuji had the same flash as Sony where it was able to tilt sideways for portrait shots(is there a flash like that for fuji?)! Those are the only things holding me back plus the hassle of selling all my sony gear to migrate to fuji!

Are there any member that came from sony or even have a sony system as part of their gear? If so I would appreciate the input if its truly worth switching mounts! Thanks in advance and would appreciate the input!

I still have a Sony from a long time back that I haven't used in years; so that's of no help.

I can report that Fuji has improved its auto focus algorithms and provided the necessary firmware updates to overcome that issue. The auto focus on the older cameras is a whole new ballgame. The sensor/image processor being used in the X-T1 has a newer, hybrid auto focus system that is even faster and more accurate. Look up current reviews for the X100s and the X-E2 that address the issue of auto focus for these two camera models; these use the same sensor that's going into the X-T1.

Fuji uses a standard flash hot shoe that can use of a large variety of different flash units.

Given Fuji's dedication to image quality, the lenses make all the previous shortcomings worthwhile to endure. Unless you need to print large images measured in feet, not inches, the entire full frame advantage gets smaller and smaller with each new camera model and each new firmware update.

gbert15
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

I still have a Sony from a long time back that I haven't used in years; so that's of no help.

I can report that Fuji has improved its auto focus algorithms and provided the necessary firmware updates to overcome that issue. The auto focus on the older cameras is a whole new ballgame. The sensor/image processor being used in the X-T1 has a newer, hybrid auto focus system that is even faster and more accurate. Look up current reviews for the X100s and the X-E2 that address the issue of auto focus for these two camera models; these use the same sensor that's going into the X-T1.

Fuji uses a standard flash hot shoe that can use of a large variety of different flash units.

Given Fuji's dedication to image quality, the lenses make all the previous shortcomings worthwhile to endure. Unless you need to print large images measured in feet, not inches, the entire full frame advantage gets smaller and smaller with each new camera model and each new firmware update.

Yea, I was never in the full frame bandwagon with sony! Yes it is a great feat but I mostly use my images on theninternet only and have them converted to 800x600 all the time for forum use! For example:

lately though I liked using faster lenses and seemed that sony wont be able to do that! Seems that their focus was more on new bodies than new lenses! Also, if I wanted to go FF! I would have to abandon my nex lenses since they dont cover ff anyway so basically its the same thing!

I would love to see what the nex 7 replacement will be like bit with thw lackluster lens options it doesnt seem to be worth it!

good to hear that firmware has constantly improved af along with other issues!

So could u point me to some flashes that can tilt sideways? That would make me more invested and sure about the x-t1!

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,430
Like?
that though may have occurred to many ...

gbert15 wrote:

... but then you make a side-by-side comparison and understand that the fantasy world and reality are quite different:

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-E1

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-A1

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

gbert15
Like?
Re: that though may have occurred to many ...
In reply to forpetessake, 7 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

... but then you make a side-by-side comparison and understand that the fantasy world and reality are quite different:

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-E1

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-A1

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

In what terms? IQ?

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,292Gear list
Like?

forpetessake wrote:

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-E1

Sony NEX-5N vs Fuji X-A1

Wow, your Sony pics make me glad yet again that I got rid of my NEX stuff.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):

http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?

I am using both. If you use MF legacy lenses a lot, Sony is slightly better. JPGs, especially the skin tone and vivid colors, Fuji. Noise, probably Fuji (jpg). Fast primes, Fuji, although the FE Zeiss are also very good, but they need to release a few more. If you have the APSC sony, the size is a lot more portable.

I use a lot of legacy lenses so I can use the same lens on both systems. But Sony got more mount adapter avail like the metabones FE to E with AF and aperture control.

gbert15 wrote:

gbert15
Like?
In reply to love_them_all, 7 months ago

love_them_all wrote:

I am using both. If you use MF legacy lenses a lot, Sony is slightly better. JPGs, especially the skin tone and vivid colors, Fuji. Noise, probably Fuji (jpg). Fast primes, Fuji, although the FE Zeiss are also very good, but they need to release a few more. If you have the APSC sony, the size is a lot more portable.

I use a lot of legacy lenses so I can use the same lens on both systems. But Sony got more mount adapter avail like the metabones FE to E with AF and aperture control.

gbert15 wrote:

Manual lenses isnt really my thing and fuji can already fill my lens needs with their native lenses! I have a couple like the canon fd 35/2, bokina, and the takumar 50/1.4 but only use the takumar since I sold my Sony 50/1.8 a while ago! Fuji seems to trump sony's offering on most focal lengths! The zeiss 24/1.8 does have that nice bokeh that the 23/1.4 has and that seems to have sold me on fuji! Even the initial 35/1.4 release was really enticing me but camera performance from reviews made me shy away from fuji! I truly hope the X-T1 will perform the way I am anticipating it to be! If it does, I will have to jump on that fuji ship asap!

PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 860
Like?

Prior to getting my X-E1, I had a NEX-5 for almost a year. I had the 18-200 Tamron zoom on it and I thought it was a great travel camera.

The Sony has focus-by-wire like the Fuji, but whenever the power is turned off or goes into standby, the focus position is reset. This was very bad when I was pre-focused to take pictures of a float plane taking off from the lake. Missed shots

Taking pictures of the moon rise over a mountain lake, I set it on my tripod and waited for the moon to move into position. Same problem… camera goes into standby and focus is lost. Focus peaking is useless in this situation and focus zoom only zoomed into the center of the image so I had to take the camera off the tripod to refocus. :-x. The Fuji remembers where the focus is even after you turn it off.

I tend to do change a lot of settings on the fly and I hated menu diving with the NEX… and some of the settings go deep. Exposure compensation didn't work with the scene modes I liked to use, so It was almost pointless to use them because the exposures were never predictable. HDR is disabled in some of them too. The Q button on the Fuji lets you quickly jump to the major setting in the camera.

Those are a few of the things with the Sony that made me swear at the camera! Up to that point, I've never sore at a camera. (usually the anger is directed to myself for doing something stupid).

Perhaps I needed more time with the NEX to get the most of the system, but with the X-E1 I was able to get it to do exactly what I want all the time, right from the beginning.  It is a fantastic camera for anyone who prefers manual control.

Compared to the Nex-5, D700, and D200, I was wowed by the Fuji IQ. This summer I plan to start using the X-E1 instead of the D700 for a few of my shoots. That's how confident I am with the system.

Regardless, my decision to move to Fuji was because I disliked the Sony operation an interface.  If I was happy with how the NEX cameras worked, I doubt I would have changed.

Tom Davis
Like?

gbert15 wrote:

Nice nice! Thanks for that info on your experience! Basically I am currently shooting with a NEX-6 right now and have the touit 12/2.8, zeiss 24/1.8, sony 55-210, and an adapted Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4 and I envy you guys a lot with all these fast lenses at your disposal! My current line up can easily be changed with better lenses if I migrate to fuji! The main selling point though is the 23/1.4 since that is my fav focal length and it seems to be one heck of a lens!

How was your experience though on af speed and the fuji menu system?I know the menu system if the nex is a mess so how much easier was the fuji menu system to use compared to the sony? I wish they had modern bodies though but its not a deal breaker at all! I am shooting with my camera anyway and not taking pics of it! Hehe!

AF speed with the X-E2 is fine, I really see no difference from my experience with the NEX-5t. Of course it's not meant to be a sports camera. But for the work I do in environmental portraiture and Japanese Gardens, it certainly fast enough. And the finder is excellent, especially if you wear eyeglasses as I do. The finder on the X-T1 will be even better.

Fuji has a simple, straightforward, and logically laid-out menu system. But the main point about the X-T1 is that its external controls are so well laid-out that they put every major exposure option within a finger-reach. Which means you simply won't have to use the menus for most any regular setting. And of course there's always the "Q" button to bring up the most used menus if you want them.

If you plan on using native lenses, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Fuji XF lineup. I'll add the 56mm f1.2 when it's out. And I use a Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M for a longer prime when I don't want to use the 55-200 XF zoom which is excellent for landscape work. When Fuji adds a longer prime I'll get that as well. A great lineup and all developed to match the sensor-size.

Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?

Looked closely at the dog sleeping...looks like my old pooch. But to the point, perhaps you didn't use the same lens on the cameras...the resolution is distinctly better with the 5N, examine the hair along the back and the fabric of the cloth. The Fuji smudges the details.  No?

Tom Davis
Like?
In reply to Diacyclops81, 7 months ago

The "smearing" issue with X-Trans is now past-tense since Adobe got its act together, though I use Capture One myself. Though it's a pay-site I strongly recommend Reid Reviews articles on different converters for Fuji raw files to go along with his excellent reviews of the XF lenses.

Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?

Were these JPegs or PP raws??   If they are both JPGs then the smearing is present in the Fuji JPGs, but could be corrected by RAW processing?   There's another thread here in which many are very happy with the JPGs out of camera from Fuji. I shoot most of my snapshots never expecting to print very large, mostly share online and view on ipads, etc.,  so a lot of the time it's JPG only. However for more important images, then sure, RAW and processing. But I would not want smearing in the JPG from the camera...I certainly am thinking of switching to Fuji. Had a XE-2 but returned it, the flip up LCD of my NEX 5N has me spoiled. My interest is in the new model XT-1.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

gbert15 wrote: So could u point me to some flashes that can tilt sideways? That would make me more invested and sure about the x-t1!

Here's a link to a Fuji flash. Sync's well with the cameras TTL

It tilts up and down; and it rotates left and right. Not quite sure what you're asking about a flash tilting sideways.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/796292-REG/Fujifilm_16144614_EF42_Shoe_Mount_Flash.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads