Why is there no love for the HX300..?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
Why is there no love for the HX300..?
9 months ago

I was out looking at bridge cameras yesterday and the only 2 that seemed well built and of a sensible size (for an adults hands) were the HX300 and FZ72.

I've owned the Fuji X-S1 so I know good build quality and the 2 mentioned above don't seem far behind the Fuji.

I though I'd pop into the relevant forums and have a look at some pictures... both have very little!

What's the problem with it?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Fujifilm X-S1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?
Re: Why is there no love for the HX300..?
In reply to PAUL TILL, 9 months ago

paul in the right hands i think it does very well i have been thinking about buying one for the summer

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51973027

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Bassy, 9 months ago

I played with it in John Lewis and the focus was fine even at full zoom, the other bridge cameras all struggled. The build seems very good and it's only £280..!

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,913Gear list
Like?
I have it.....

And IQ is not equal to a DSLR, But for a 1200mm camera is More than good enough!

Keep in Mind every photo here are bracketed exposures and blended together & tonemappd HDR's

http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/2013_utah_trip

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +1 more
Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?

thats a good price and i think you get 2 years warranty   from them i have noticed that you are not liking your new oly,did  your em5 sell on ebay,cheers bassy

KelvinHammond
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?

I think it's because it's only claim to fame is the zoom range, but the rest of the features are consumer oriented, not "pro".  That, and the long lens is slow, so to people who buy based on capability, the only + is the long range. It's not small like a point n shoot, but doesn't function like a DSLR.  The lens isn't particularly wide either. So, it's going to appeal to very casual shooters, who probably have kids in soccer. Or people like my buddy, who likes to play paparazzi with his. He can zoom right in on cops abusing people from a block away.

KelvinHammond's gear list:KelvinHammond's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX300 +11 more
Dodge_Rock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106
Like?
There's a little love, but you have to search to find it...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52058623

Small sensor probably explains the lack of interest.  Then there's that pesky word "Processing" that takes seemingly forever for the camera to finish in certain modes/circumstances.

I still like the camera for what it is.

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?

Unlike the RX100, which easily bests the pocketable competition in IQ, the HX300 doesn't seem to be the best at anything (for my needs anyway). It offers near equivalent (perhaps ever so slightly less) IQ compared to the competition. Past experience tells me that the Canon's IS is almost assuredly better so nothing of interest there.  Canon and Panasonic have a better menu system imho so that's a wash as well.  If I wanted the best handling camera and the one that offers the best shooting experience, I'd probably go with Panasonic.  The JPEGs out of the Canon SX50 or the Fuji easily best the HX300 in terms of color accuracy, AWB, and noise handling. This is of particular importance considering that the HX300 isn't capable of shooting RAW. That last one is a deal breaker for me. I simply cannot live with 90% of the JPEGs produced by my Sony cams, so RAW is a must.  I'm not trying to bash the HX300 or even say that it's a bad camera, but rather just saying that from my perspective, there is no reason to go with it over the competition.

FWIW, I have previously owned the Sony HX100, Canon SX30, and Panasonic FZ35/FZ40/FZ100/FZ150.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?

I handled the HX300 in the stores a few time. Love its handling. But in the end, I generally like Canon SX40/SX50 colors over Sony. And the Panasonic FZ200 has the constant f/2.8 lens. It kind of leaves the HX300 as the odd man out, and as another poster said, as not being a camera that is best at anything. Merely good at everything.

Then if one likes Sony, why not get an APS-C size sensor camera with the A3000 (I like mine) Or if you just want really long zoom and compact, then the HX50.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,230Gear list
Like?

The Hx 300 does get sharp hand held shot at full telo, even at 100x, the Canon does have a little better IQ. Focus speed goes to sony and the hand- held twilight mode was great for low light shots.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, 9 months ago

B1ackhat wrote:

Unlike the RX100, which easily bests the pocketable competition in IQ, the HX300 doesn't seem to be the best at anything (for my needs anyway). It offers near equivalent (perhaps ever so slightly less) IQ compared to the competition. Past experience tells me that the Canon's IS is almost assuredly better so nothing of interest there. Canon and Panasonic have a better menu system imho so that's a wash as well. If I wanted the best handling camera and the one that offers the best shooting experience, I'd probably go with Panasonic. The JPEGs out of the Canon SX50 or the Fuji easily best the HX300 in terms of color accuracy, AWB, and noise handling. This is of particular importance considering that the HX300 isn't capable of shooting RAW. That last one is a deal breaker for me. I simply cannot live with 90% of the JPEGs produced by my Sony cams, so RAW is a must. I'm not trying to bash the HX300 or even say that it's a bad camera, but rather just saying that from my perspective, there is no reason to go with it over the competition.

FWIW, I have previously owned the Sony HX100, Canon SX30, and Panasonic FZ35/FZ40/FZ100/FZ150.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

I couldn't have the Canon it's far too small, two of my fingers just fit round the grip, it appears to be made for a child's hand and the EVF is all but useless, you would end up using it at arms length to view the LCD and quite frankly look a plonker.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468Gear list
Like?
It is a working man's camera

PAUL TILL wrote:

What's the problem with it?

It is more of a working man's camera. So it is not as popular with wealthier elites who have lots of spare time to waste posting on photography forums.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
jcmi
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

As others have said, HX300 has been eclipsed by later models, which are superior in performance (though much more expensive). I'm just an amateur and bought mine to take to Africa last June. I had a lot of shots to ditch, but also had some terrific shots (one won a DPR challenge recently) to keep and enjoy. For me, it's been a great camera, especially given its reasonable price, and I'll be using it for some time to come. The people who have mastered it (not me!) have shared extraordinary images in this forum.

Cheers,

Julie

Lars Luciano
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcmi, 9 months ago

There is very little love for hx series in general and some other zooms to. Maybe someone should do a superzoom group? It would be nice and easy to compare photos,....

Lars Luciano's gear list:Lars Luciano's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
In reply to jcmi, 9 months ago

As others have said, HX300 has been eclipsed by later models, which are superior in performance (though much more expensive). I'm just an amateur and bought mine to take to Africa last June. I had a lot of shots to ditch, but also had some terrific shots (one won a DPR challenge recently) to keep and enjoy. For me, it's been a great camera, especially given its reasonable price, and I'll be using it for some time to come. The people who have mastered it (not me!) have shared extraordinary images in this forum.

Cheers,

Julie

The HX300 is still Sony's latest small sensor bridge style Megazoom camera
But, there is now the newer RX10 for a bridge style with much better critical IQ

Carole M
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Lars Luciano, 9 months ago

to be able to zoom x50 and pick up a good record shot at such a modest cost, works for me and my budget.

Weight and portability was highly considered before I made this purchase (over a big investment on top gear).

I do love it, sole purpose for this zoom was for record-bird-photography opportunities.

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Carole M, 9 months ago

Carole M wrote:

to be able to zoom x50 and pick up a good record shot at such a modest cost, works for me and my budget.

Weight and portability was highly considered before I made this purchase (over a big investment on top gear).

I do love it, sole purpose for this zoom was for record-bird-photography opportunities.

And what do those bird shots look like, resized to a minimum of say 1920 pixels on the long side?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,748
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

Carole M wrote:

And what do those bird shots look like, resized to a minimum of say 1920 pixels on the long side?

I shoot with a large Sony A mount DSLR system, the camera the OVF Pentaprism DSLR a700. And also the HX300 for lighter duty shooting and also a poor man's very long telephoto.

You are welcome to look in my Flickr Photostream. Due to a fire this year I've been shooting mostly with my HX300 once I got it in the summer rather than my Sony A mount DSLR system, and earlier in the year the previous HX200 was mostly what I was using. (for half the year we were living with minimal stuff in a rented house while ours was rebuilt)  So there are a bunch of photos taken with those there, the text with each photo ID's the camera taking the photo, pretty boring photography this last year if you don't like fire recovery photography:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54156826@N04/

There is a tendency for folks to attack the new model if they are not upgrading and try to prove their older version is better.  This has happened through the HX series.  The HX200 was a piece of junk to the owners of the HX100 for the first year it was out.  Now the HX300 is out, so the owners of the HX200s have been very busy trying to prove how much better it is than the HX300.  Remember that the HX200 is the same camera that was being called junk a year before that.  Next year or whenever the next HX camera comes out the HX300 will suddenly transform from junk to perfection, a neat magic trick, but the HX300 will have always been the better than the HX200 and HX100.  Though any of them can take good photos.

The HX300 is in it's "it's terrible" phase but is starting to come out of that as more folks use it and find out how good it is.  It does hit a whole bunch of buttons for the non-users.  Like:  It's got a tiny sensor, tiny sensors cannot take good photos.  or Only single focal length prime lenses can take good photos, the HX300 uses a zoom, so it's no good.  Or only short range zooms can take good zoom photos, the HX300 has a extremely long zoom range so it's got to be no good.  Or it only shoots jpegs, jpegs are no good because the camera company experts interpret the raw data and we amateurs are far better at interpreting raw data than those experts, so the HX300 is no good.  The reality is closed minds miss out on a lot of good stuff.

However, the HX cameras as a group have extensive capability built in, they are not the easiest cameras to buy and instantly get the excellent shots they are capable of. (amazing how many folks will buy the camera, take a few minutes taking their first photos and if those are not prize winning expert photos then the camera must be defective and they return it.)   There is a learning period. And the capability only expands with each new model.  To get the best from them not only do you need to learn the camera and the techniques that work best with it, but it's important to learn how to process the photos after you take them.

Throughout the series Sony has over-compressed the jpegs from the cameras, the emphasis being on how many shots you can pack on the card, and the extra compression artifacts this puts in the images are generally interpreted as noise caused by the small sensor by far too many users.  There is software available that can help to cut down those artifacts a lot, more than enough to produce good images for online sharing.  I use Topaz DeJpeg plugin in Photoshop as the first step in new image processing from the camera.  It has to be the first step before other PP distorts the artifacts.  Then once that's done I can pretty much handle the images as I would out of my a700 DSLRs.

To me the other flaw for the camera which is in common with most P&S and Bridge cameras is lenses that will only do closeup at the short focal length wide angle end.  One can get good closeups but the wide angle end to my mind is not going to give as good closeup image perspective as being able to do it throughout the lens zoom range.  I do use a weak diopter closeup lens on the HX300 to enable somewhat longer distances being in focus to partially compensate.

The really long reach of the lens, out to an effective equivalent 1200mm works very well indeed, and to complement it Sony changed the in lens stabilization that they used with the HX200 to one that can handle the needs of the longer lens.  So it's possible to use even the 1200mm handheld with good results with a bit of practice.  (of course it's not long enough, there's always need of more tele sooner or later, but this does cover more territory than most.)

WaltKnapp
Like?
In reply to Lars Luciano, 9 months ago

Lars Luciano wrote:

There is very little love for hx series in general and some other zooms to. Maybe someone should do a superzoom group? It would be nice and easy to compare photos,....

Once the RX series was introduced this group has neglected these cameras, even though the RX was in a lot of ways not for the kind of photography these can do.   Yes, it would be nice to have a separate group devoted just to the long tele bridge cameras.  They have value not matched by any other type camera.

To me, with a large DSLR A mount system the RX are not interesting, too limited.  While the HX series has been very useful to supplement my DSLR system.

WaltKnapp
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I handled the HX300 in the stores a few time. Love its handling. But in the end, I generally like Canon SX40/SX50 colors over Sony. And the Panasonic FZ200 has the constant f/2.8 lens. It kind of leaves the HX300 as the odd man out, and as another poster said, as not being a camera that is best at anything. Merely good at everything.

None of the cameras you mention are best at anything.  Nor are they good at near as much as the HX300. Nothing wrong with your personal bias, but a few items are not all there is to photography.

I like the color out of the Sony better than Canon colors, I liked the previous Minolta colors better than the Canon colors.  And I get along just fine without constant f2.8 lenses,  in often very very low light.

Then if one likes Sony, why not get an APS-C size sensor camera with the A3000 (I like mine) Or if you just want really long zoom and compact, then the HX50.

APS-C you won't find the tele range.  1200mm is a lot more range than 400 or 500mm range which is your limit in Sony APS-C.  There is a Tamron 150-600mm that will be released soon that will get a little close as it's effective focal length does get you up to 900mm with Sony APS-C.  But to get 1200mm you are forced to use a 1.4x TC with the lens. And it's nearly a foot long and weighs several lbs.

The A3000 has very limited stabilization, only with a few E mount lenses.  The HX300 has stabilization, which is excellent even with 1200mm, which is very impressive. With the HX300 you are also shooting with an excellent Zeiss lens.

The HX50 has a very limited zoom range compared to the HX300.  My photography has use for every mm of focal length the HX300 can give me, and I could use more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads