Piezographic or Epson/Canon???

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Piezographic or Epson/Canon???
10 months ago

I was going to post on the printing forum but I was interested in getting the views and experiences of black and white users here - particularly anyone printing their own photos.

I'm hoping to move more into black and white with both my photos and printing (up to about 13x19 on a hobby basis) .  I have an HP BP9180 that's been good for colour but black and white has been a problem.

Both Canon and Epson have printers with more black inks now that have been getting some good reviews and there's also been some good reviews on the Piezographic alternative.  As expected, none of these options are cheap so I want to make sure I get this right.

Any recommendations or experiences??

Thanks for your help

Dave

Peter Del
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: Piezographic or Epson/Canon???
In reply to dahod, 10 months ago

For many years I made my own monochrome 20 x 16 prints from negs., but now I use an Epson R2400 printer to make A3 prints and I am continually astounded by the quality - all at the touch of a button!

Peter Del

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dahod
Like?
Thanks - couple of questions
In reply to Peter Del, 10 months ago

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information.  Do you notice any gloss differential or bronzing on the prints if you look at them from different angles?  Also, do you do any duotone or quadtone printing with the Epson?

Thanks again

Dave

Peter Del
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: Thanks - couple of questions

dahod wrote:

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information. Do you notice any gloss differential or bronzing on the prints if you look at them from different angles? Also, do you do any duotone or quadtone printing with the Epson?

Thanks again

Dave

Dave,

I use Epson premium semi-gloss paper with Epson inks which include three black inks; light light black, light black and photo black (which is glossy - I never use the matte black).

I am not sure what you mean by 'gloss differential', perhaps that is something one only sees on glossy paper.  As a general rule I do not see any bronzing under normal viewing conditions, nor do I see any metamerism. I am really impressed with the results and I have been printing on and off for over 50 years.

Peter Del

P.S. The R2400 has been superseded.

dahod
Like?
Thanks Peter
In reply to Peter Del, 10 months ago

Good information - thanks

Dave

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Piezographic or Epson/Canon???

For the best B&W, go for the Piezography setup.....no question.  It truly slaughters the weak Epson B&W.  Get Roy Harringtons's Quad Tone RIP and you are good to go.  I tried the Epson K3 and it look anemic for resolution and tonality in comparison to Piezography.  Get it.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
dahod
Like?
Any problem with head clogging??
In reply to The Davinator, 10 months ago

Hi Dave

Did you find the inks more difficult to work with or needed more cleaning than the other inks? Also, I'm using a Windows PC so is there a good RIP program for that (I think Harrington's is only Mac but I could be wrong).

Which printer are you using?

Thanks for the information

Dave

dahod
Like?
Update - Quad Tone RIP

I was wrong - it looks like there is a PC version

Thanks

Dave

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Any problem with head clogging??

dahod wrote:

Hi Dave

Did you find the inks more difficult to work with or needed more cleaning than the other inks? Also, I'm using a Windows PC so is there a good RIP program for that (I think Harrington's is only Mac but I could be wrong).

Which printer are you using?

Thanks for the information

Dave

Havent had any clogging issues for years.  Quad tone rip works on PC

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
dahod
Like?
Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads