Best pocket camera I've owned so far.

Started 8 months ago | User reviews
GCHYBA
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Best pocket camera I've owned so far.
8 months ago

Ok, so I got this camera from Hong Kong 2 days ago. Paid $750 for it.

It's really, really good. Except for one thing. It's huge.

I thought it would be the same size as most of the small pocket cameras, but it's twice that size. That said, the lens is massive, the click ring on the front is solid as a tank, the LCD is articulated, and the images are incredible compared to the other smaller cameras I've had. To me they look EXACTLY like the ones from the Sony RX-100 I had for a month and then returned (it had a hard time focusing, maybe I had a bad one). Something this camera can do it amazing HDR-Art and regular HDR images, as well as the 30 fps bursts including pre-shooting that I've seen no other camera be able to do. With that I get shots no one else can of kids jumping into pools, dirt bikes going through puddles, the list goes on and on. 4x zoom is pretty weak, but I've noticed that anything more than 4x zoom with a small lens usually gives crappy results anyways. If I need to zoom more I use my DSLR.

So in my opinion, an incredibly versatile camera with (as far as I can tell) excellent image quality, but seriously chunky. It's pocketable, but just barely...

GCHYBA's gear list:GCHYBA's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-10
GCHYBA's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
great
= community average
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154
Like?
Re: Best pocket camera I've owned so far.
In reply to GCHYBA, 8 months ago

Thanks for the review!
This is the first interesting camera Casio has but out in some time. I'd really like to try it out but so far it seems "Japan Only"?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GCHYBA
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to keeponkeepingon, 8 months ago

I got mine from eBay and it was sent from Hong Kong.

GCHYBA's gear list:GCHYBA's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-10
ecologer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to GCHYBA, 7 months ago

Thanks for the review!

I had overlooked the actual dimensions of this camera, because I had got the impression that it is the same size as Canon S95 - S120. But now that I know that it's actually even bigger than Sony RX100, it loses much of its appeal, because even RX100 is a bit too big to be comfortably pocketable for me.

Still, EX-10 has some features RX100 lacks:
* 180 degrees upward tiltable LCD screen,
* high speed (slow motion) video modes up to 1000 fps,
* maximum shutter speed 1/4000 sec.

Nice to see more companies innovating in this compact camera segment. If someone managed to squeeze the picture quality of Sony RX100 II and features of Casio EX-10 into a camera body of Canon S120 size, that would be truly great!

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to GCHYBA, 7 months ago

$750? What?? That's double the price of everyone else's similar models.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads