What lens caps are you guys using?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
1llusive
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
What lens caps are you guys using?
8 months ago

I have a new Samyang lens and it is amazing but the front and rear caps aren't. They don't fit snug and fall off easily. I'm on Amazon looking at options and want to know what you guys buy if you need extras? Thanks!

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
Re: What lens caps are you guys using?
In reply to 1llusive, 8 months ago

Nikons!

When I got the Sigma 150mm macro, I was surprised of, how "stupid" it was. Like yours, it easily fell off and was difficult to fix. Especially as I never remove the lens hood...

The Nikons are very easy to pinch with two fingers, even deep in the hood.

They could however use a "groove" for better finger grip, but that's one of the upcoming projects...

Btw. lots of "Nikon" caps on ebay are not genuine Nikons, but they works just as well!

Happy pinching!

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to Janoch, 8 months ago

Second the Nikon caps. I buy a lot of used lenses and need to buy caps pretty frequently. The Nikon front caps are the best I have found. The rear will depend on the mount type.
--
<a href="http://www.applenegative.com" target="_blank" title="www.applenegative.com" data-mce-href="http://www.applenegative.com">www.applenegative.com</a>

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
1llusive
Like?
In reply to Janoch, 8 months ago

Thanks. There are some Zeikos caps on Amazon for $4-8 depending on the size you need. They look like a copy of the Nikon design. I don't know how close of a copy they are. The Nikon LC-77 cap is $18.50!

Oddly, the rear lens cap for my Tamron 17-50 fits the Samyang 16mm *perfectly*. It slides on like it was made for it. I don't know if I can find more of those.

After further looking, people really seem to like the Tamron lens caps. $11.50 for the 77mm, not bad (compared to Nikon). We're still talking plastic, but it is what it is. Looks like a good design: http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-62mm-Front-Lens-Model/dp/B0009R5NN8/ref=sr_1_1

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS +1 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,836Gear list
Like?

B and H house brand is fine.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,836Gear list
Like?

I have a Tamron lens cap in 82mm, a hard to find size, that I use on a Zeiss. The fancy-pants OEM lens cap now is the "spare". Tamron cap is sturdy and pinches pleasingly.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?

Avoid the Zeikos caps. I bought one for for one of my lenses (a 52mm) and the darn thing flexed in the middle every time I pinched it to open. Basically acted like a bird's wing flapping the sides up and down. Did this affect the lens caps function? Not even a little bit, but it felt cheesy and I found myself using it only my least used and least favorite lenses.

Additionally, the rear cap is going to be standard on every lens because they all have the same mount on your camera. So regardless of size, the rear caps are interchangeable on your camera.

-- hide signature --
 sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
overniteman
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?
In reply to sapple, 8 months ago

Nikon "pinch" caps.

1llusive
Like?
In reply to sapple, 8 months ago

sapple wrote:

Avoid the Zeikos caps. I bought one for for one of my lenses (a 52mm) and the darn thing flexed in the middle every time I pinched it to open. Basically acted like a bird's wing flapping the sides up and down. Did this affect the lens caps function? Not even a little bit, but it felt cheesy and I found myself using it only my least used and least favorite lenses.

Additionally, the rear cap is going to be standard on every lens because they all have the same mount on your camera. So regardless of size, the rear caps are interchangeable on your camera.

-- hide signature --

That's what I thought, until I tried swapping the OEM rear lens caps of my 70-300 and my 50. They are not the same fit. The newer lens (50) has a different design and does not fit the 70-300 well.

Thanks for the tip on the Zeikos. I think I'm going to give the Tamron caps a try. Only thing is, the ones on Amazon do not look like my Tamron cap for my 17-50. Have they changed the design recently? It looks like an improvement, closer to the Nikon design.

1llusive
Like?

1llusive wrote:

sapple wrote:

-- hide signature --

That's what I thought, until I tried swapping the OEM rear lens caps of my 70-300 and my 50. They are not the same fit. The newer lens (50) has a different design and does not fit the 70-300 well.

Thanks for the tip on the Zeikos. I think I'm going to give the Tamron caps a try. Only thing is, the ones on Amazon do not look like my Tamron cap for my 17-50. Have they changed the design recently? It looks like an improvement, closer to the Nikon design.

My apologies, I got it backwards: the older Nikon cap that came with my 70-300 VR does not fit well on my new 50mm f/1.8G, however the new cap from the 50 does fit well on the 70-300. Might be a case of the older caps not fitting well to the newer lenses.

The newer cap also fits the Samyang well.

1llusive
Like?

Update: I bought the Tamron lens caps from Adorama and they are not like the ones pictured. They are the same design as the Tamron 17-50 I bought 5 years ago. Good, but not quite as good as the Nikon. They are 1/2 the price, though. Contemplating returning them due to being incorrectly advertised and just forking out the money for the Nikons.

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?

I use the Op/Tech Fast Cap. Very handy and easy to open or close. You can also use it as a lens hood.

http://optechusa.com/fast-cap-metal-ring.html

As for the rear cap, I recommend the Nikon LF-1 or the LF-4

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
1llusive
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 8 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I use the Op/Tech Fast Cap. Very handy and easy to open or close. You can also use it as a lens hood.

http://optechusa.com/fast-cap-metal-ring.html

As for the rear cap, I recommend the Nikon LF-1 or the LF-4

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Can those be used with a lens hood?

Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to 1llusive, 7 months ago

The Op/Tech Fast Cap doesn't work with the lens hoods that I have.  The diameter of the cap is a little larger than the diameter of the lens barrel but too large to fit inside a lens hood.  I typically don't use lens hoods as the lenses I use are flare resistant.  Since the flap is adjustable, it is possible to use it to block the sun from your glass.  I find that I can draw the camera, flip open the Fast Cap and take the photograph so I have many less missed opportunities.  I try not to use the quick draw approach to photograph that I learned in my PJ days in the 60s.  I usually take the time to compose before shooting but some times, you just have to react.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
1llusive
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 7 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

The Op/Tech Fast Cap doesn't work with the lens hoods that I have. The diameter of the cap is a little larger than the diameter of the lens barrel but too large to fit inside a lens hood. I typically don't use lens hoods as the lenses I use are flare resistant. Since the flap is adjustable, it is possible to use it to block the sun from your glass. I find that I can draw the camera, flip open the Fast Cap and take the photograph so I have many less missed opportunities. I try not to use the quick draw approach to photograph that I learned in my PJ days in the 60s. I usually take the time to compose before shooting but some times, you just have to react.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

I use lens hoods for protection. That way if I bang it against something it just hits the hood. I'm normally not concerned too much with flare but that's an added bonus.

Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to 1llusive, 7 months ago

You might want to try a Fast Cap With Metal Ring, it's not expensive and the additional diameter of the Fast Cap With Metal Ring might help to protect the front of your lens. It is less fragile than a quick release hood. The plastic that the Fast Cap With Metal Ring is made of is softer than the plastic in a hood or a lens cap providing some cushioning against unexpected events.

All my lenses under 77mm have a Fast Cap With Metal Ring attached. Since Op/Tech does not make a Fast Cap for lenses with 77mm filters I have to use the Converter Cap. It is not as easy to change the circular position of the lens cap on the Converter Cap but it does a good job.

BTW...The Fast Cap with Metal Ring allows you to move the lens cap around with out loosening the Fast Cap from the lens. It's a minor improvement but one I find handy.  One thing...some of Nikon's lenses have plastic filter threads so when attaching the Fast Cap with Metal Ring, be sure it's not cross threaded.  I use a technique I learned in the military when building reentry vehicles.  I place the Fast Cap on the filter ring of the lens, turn the Fast Cap counter clockwise (backwards) until I hear or feel a click.  I thin turn the Fast Cap clockwise (forwards) until it's stops.  This trick works for filters and other things that might pose a cross threading threat.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads