Recommended Fisheye or wide angle lens for a D7100?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
JoeBrautigam
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Recommended Fisheye or wide angle lens for a D7100?
7 months ago

My budget would be around the $350 range.  Any ideas?

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fredphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommended Fisheye or wide angle lens for a D7100?
In reply to JoeBrautigam, 7 months ago

You get what you $ay for, but you have not said what you are going to use it for, so we cannot offer any advice.

fredphotog's gear list:fredphotog's gear list
Nikon D7100 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,130Gear list
Like?

Highly recommend the non-chipped rokinon 8mm for a fisheye. AF on a fisheye is silly IMHO. The DOF is so crazy deep it's hard to get something out of focus if you try! There is also no reason to buy a chipped version for a D7100, the metering will work as good as any metering is going to work with a fisheye lens. You use the ring rather than the wheel. The build quality is very good. Here is a shot I took with mine, it's sharp across the frame and I like the projection used by this lens better than a "true" fisheye. Plus they are $300.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
JoeBrautigam
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, 7 months ago

Awesome thank you! Great picture btw!!!

fredphotog
Like?

It IS a nice pic, but Joe, what are you going to be using it for?

Nikon D7100 +2 more
tonybax
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to fredphotog, 7 months ago

tokina 11-16 would be my choice

-- hide signature --

howay the lads

joebat
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?

Why not a Samyang 14 2.8 ?

joebat's gear list:joebat's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D DxO Optics Pro Standard Nikon D3100 +1 more
richiebee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?

A fisheye is a one trick pony.  The recommended Rokinson is good value.  Colors are wonderful and it is sharp across the frame.  But fisheye can get tiresome after a while.  Whereas a wide angle is good for many things, and doesn't become tiresome in the same way.  That said, for your budget, you'd be hard pressed to find a wide angle that is as good as the Rokinson.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,130Gear list
Like?

JoeBrautigam wrote:

I can say a fisheye isn't for everyone but I find them not a replacement for a ultra wide angle but simply a different type of wide angle. But it's why I wouldn't spend $1000 on a AF one or even spend the extra for a chipped version. These Samyang/rokinon/bower lenses are plenty good for this purpose.

I disagree they are a "one trick pony" and can be useful for all types of shooting. They can also be used for landscapes, just make sure the horizon is in the middle of the frame and crop as needed. That said, the 11-16 tokina is a great lens.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,139
Like?
In reply to richiebee, 7 months ago

richiebee wrote:

A fisheye is a one trick pony. The recommended Rokinon is good value. Colors are wonderful and it is sharp across the frame. But fisheye can get tiresome after a while. Whereas a wide angle is good for many things, and doesn't become tiresome in the same way.

I think an UWA is a similar one trick pony, also has a peculiar perspective (a WA zoom is more useful, but there are fish zooms too). Pick which one you find more useful, or carry both. Software conversions are possible, but have side effects.

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?

Tokina 12-28.  They took their very successful 12-24 and upgraded it for 2013.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/12-28mm.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3511791#forum-post-51746324

I personally find the zoom range important.  I don't shoot all my landscapes at the same wide angle.  I do shoot quite a few at 12mm but I shoot plenty in the 16-24ish range too.  If you need the one stop of faster aperture then the 11-16 f2.8 is kind of a no-brainer.  Can't go wrong with either Tokina IMO, just depends how much zoom range you want.  Check my gallery for some images.

edit:  I just noticed your budget, sorry about recommending lenses that are more than your budget.  I do think you can get the Tokina 12-24 II for $399.  A semi-famous photographer here by the name of Roman Johnson has taken a ton of beautiful landscape shots with that lens.

fredphotog
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, 7 months ago

It still all comes back to what he is going to do with it.

If I am on assignment I can use a fisheye for ONE shot, after that they become more of a product of the lens as opposed to the product of the creativity of the photographer, ie anyone can shoot a 'neato' pic with a fisheye - show me what YOU can really do.

You can plug in a fisheye and go shoot for an entire day, but the novelty of it can wear off quickly, not unlike the fact that everyone can shoot a football game with a 400 and get the same stuff, show me some creativity, some stuff unlike other folks' stuff.

Mnay years ago I went to shoot college football with my best friend, he shot the usual stuff the publication was 'used to' seeing, wanting, I took a 500 mirror, a 600/4 and shot from angles far away from 'the heard' of photographers that simply followed the yardsticks, I got some great stuff, and two games later I had company, and another game later more company, and pretty soon I had about 8-10 photogs mimicking me.

Use your equipment to show that YOU can do, and not what the lens can do.

I hope I explained this right, I didn't mean to insult anyone.

Nikon D7100 +2 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, 7 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

JoeBrautigam wrote:

I can say a fisheye isn't for everyone but I find them not a replacement for a ultra wide angle but simply a different type of wide angle. But it's why I wouldn't spend $1000 on a AF one or even spend the extra for a chipped version. These Samyang/rokinon/bower lenses are plenty good for this purpose.

I disagree they are a "one trick pony" and can be useful for all types of shooting. They can also be used for landscapes, just make sure the horizon is in the middle of the frame and crop as needed. That said, the 11-16 tokina is a great lens.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I agree with everything Stacey said. An ultrawide and fisheye are two different things. I have both a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikon 10.5mm full frame fisheye and each has it's advantages. The ultrawide does not have the extreme bending of lines. The fisheye has a wider field of view.

I bought the Nikon fisheye when it was the only one available. Today I would buy the Rokinon/  Samyang/Bower. It's very sharp and it's a lot less money.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to fredphotog, 7 months ago

I wouldn't call a fisheye a one trick pony, but I do use my Sigma 10-20 more than my fisheye. The trouble is that an ultrawide is more expensive than the FE. You might be able to get a used Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 at a good price. Check keh.com (the best for used photo gear), B&H, and Adorama if you are interested.

I just checked keh.com and they have very nice Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24 lenses for $300. I think that having both an ultrawide and a FE is worthwhile if you do much wide-angle shooting. I prefer the 10-20 over the 12-24. The 2mm makes a difference.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,492Gear list
Like?
A good used Tokina 12-24?

$350 is a pretty slim budget, but I am sure used quality examples are out there.

My gallery is full of shots with this lens and I often print up to 40" x 60" for my customers with this lens.

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.romanjohnston.com
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos
http://www.commercialfineart.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads