Is your D4 battery holding its charge?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Paul Szilard
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
Is your D4 battery holding its charge?
8 months ago

I have 2 D4 batteries. I always put the camera away in its Pelikan case, with a full battery, and the camera body turned OFF. I also ensure that Network is also turned OFF.

In spite of this, my D4 battery that is in the body, seems to discharge slowly. I don't have exact measurements, but I would estimate that in 1 month of OFF time, the battery would loose about 15-20% of its charge. I have put my battery on Reclibrate, today.

Anybody else experiencing similar behavior?

-- hide signature --
 Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +14 more
ANSWER:
enkindler
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: Is your D4 battery holding its charge?
In reply to Paul Szilard, 8 months ago

I have never left a camera unused for that long but the camera is never full off.

Turn your camera off, pull the card and replug it in, note how the access light blinks.

With Lithium Ion you will get some self discharge but I would also make sure that your case isn't pushing any of the buttons. Even if the camera is "off" this may be causing activity and drain.

enkindler's gear list:enkindler's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SAkp
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?

Yes. I have noticed battery loss after it has been sitting several days. Enough to raise an eyebrow, anyway. It never bothered me too much though, I always top up the batteries the day before, and also bring the charger with me when warranted. Just wanted to let you know it's not just you.

Paul Szilard wrote:

I have 2 D4 batteries. I always put the camera away in its Pelikan case, with a full battery, and the camera body turned OFF. I also ensure that Network is also turned OFF.

In spite of this, my D4 battery that is in the body, seems to discharge slowly. I don't have exact measurements, but I would estimate that in 1 month of OFF time, the battery would loose about 15-20% of its charge. I have put my battery on Reclibrate, today.

-- hide signature --
 SAkp's gear list:SAkp's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Paul Szilard
Like?
In reply to SAkp, 8 months ago

Glad it's not just mine

Of course I realise that an "OFF" camera is only "sleeping". But I have had dozens of digicams, as well as laptops/phones, etc. that kept their charge seemingly better. 'nuff said.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +14 more
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?

Paul Szilard wrote:

Glad it's not just mine

Of course I realise that an "OFF" camera is only "sleeping". But I have had dozens of digicams, as well as laptops/phones, etc. that kept their charge seemingly better. 'nuff said.

-- hide signature --

I notice very minimal loss on mine - no more than my other cameras lost and nothing to be concerned about.  Remember even though the camera is off, the top LCD is still partly "on" (displaying memory card info, remaining shots and shots taken info) as long as the battery is in - so that has to have some small drain on the battery.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,082Gear list
Like?

That camera and battery are not designed to sit idle for a month.

That being said, yes they will slowly 'leak' down over time. Even when they are out of the camera.

Paul Szilard wrote:

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to jjnik, 8 months ago

Try leaving the battery out and see if it makes a difference. Mine also slowly looses power even without use but that's not unexpected. So does my D600.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,047Gear list
Like?

Yes, all batteries self discharge.  Yes, the camera is never really "off".

But my experience with the D4 batteries mirrors yours and is a bit different from my experience with the D2x.  The D4's batteries self discharge a noticeable bit more than the D2x's.  Not enough to change how I use the camera, but enough that I've noticed it.

There are a number of possible reasons.  1) I could be hallucinating about it (time seems to fly by faster as I get older), 2) the D4 batteries are slightly smaller capacity than the D2x or D3, 3) the battery formulation / charging parameters / charging circuitry are different and may be tuned differently and 4) the D4 may have a higher idle draw than other cameras (phoning home to the NSA?).

According to a number of sources, long term storage (30 days +) of LiOn batteries is best done with the battery at something like 2/3 - 3/4 charge, so it sounds like you're just doing fine at least as far as longevity goes.

And the one thing that no one has mentioned so far is that the D4 charger has a calibration feature.  Have you tried that?  (Mine seems to make no difference although the batteries are relatively new).  And these are real Nikon batteries?

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Paul Szilard
Like?
In reply to rgolub, 8 months ago

In my original post, I did mention that I am currently Reclibrating the battery. And yes they are originals. I didn't think that there were any fake ones around. The Nikon batteries have a cpu in the battery, which provides estimated usage info.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Yes I did realise that there would be sleeping usage, but was just curious if it should be as high as it is. (e.g. my two Fuji X cameras seem less susceptible).

Have a nice day folks,

-- hide signature --
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,493Gear list
Like?
It's the battery chemistry
In reply to rgolub, 8 months ago

rgolub wrote:

Yes, all batteries self discharge. Yes, the camera is never really "off".

But my experience with the D4 batteries mirrors yours and is a bit different from my experience with the D2x. The D4's batteries self discharge a noticeable bit more than the D2x's. Not enough to change how I use the camera, but enough that I've noticed it.

There are a number of possible reasons. 1) I could be hallucinating about it (time seems to fly by faster as I get older), 2) the D4 batteries are slightly smaller capacity than the D2x or D3, 3) the battery formulation / charging parameters / charging circuitry are different and may be tuned differently and 4) the D4 may have a higher idle draw than other cameras (phoning home to the NSA?).

You're not hallucinating, and it isn't a difference in camera body.

There is a significant and consistent difference in self-discharge rate between the EN-EL4/a batteries and the new EN-EL18 batteries, even for batteries sitting outside of the camera. The EN-EL4 variety can be left sitting for months with minimal self-discharge, whereas the EN-EL18 will lose the majority of their charge in a couple of months.

Also see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51298880

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads