D700 MB-D10 Grip & NI-MH Batteries

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Plus24
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
D700 MB-D10 Grip & NI-MH Batteries
11 months ago

I just purchased the MB-D10 grip for my D700.

It does not recognize my MAHA AA Powerex 2700 mAh 1.2 v. Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.

I went to the d. Shooting/Display menu and changed the d10 MB-D10 battery type to Ni-MH HR6 (AA Ni-MH)

I also changed the d11 Battery Order menu setting to use MB-D10 first before using the EN-EL3 battery in camera.

I then switched to both camera and grip using the camera batteries and it recognized the EN-EL3 battery in the grip. I checked the Battery Info and both batteries were showing with the MB-D10 outlines as the primary battery in use before the camera battery. Worked fine.

I then switched to AA Alkaline (Duracel) batteries in the grip. They worked fine and the fps was much faster, as expected. Of course, I changed the battery type in the menu to AA alkaline. I checked Battery Info and both grip AA batteries and Camera battery were showing with AA's as primary batteries.

I tried the Ni-MH rechargeable batteries again. I changed the menu setting back to Ni-MH batteries. Still no luck.

Does anyone know why the MAHA AA don't work in the grip? Is it the mAh of 2700 that is too high?

If the MAHA batteries are incompatible with the grip, can someone recommend rechargeable batteries that are compatible? How about the Eneloop? Please be specific as to the exact type of battery.

Thanks for any help.

Plus24

Canon PowerShot D10 Nikon D1 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
Re: D700 MB-D10 Grip & NI-MH Batteries
In reply to Plus24, 11 months ago

I use the eneloops quite a bit with no trouble. Can't speak for other types.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Plus24
Like?
In reply to tundracamper, 11 months ago

Which type Eneloop?  The mAh 2500 low discharge or the mAh 2000 low discharge?

I'm wondering if the mAh rating matters.  Mine are 2700 mAh as I mentioned in my post.

Thanks.

overniteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?

Eneloops, 2000 mAH, here with no problems. I have two 4 yr old sets of eight that still work like new. Picked up a new set from Amazon last month as they had a special deal.

I stuck with the white version (2000) over the newer XX version. I wasn't sure how the camera would handle them. I'm a firm believer in leaving well enough alone.

Plus24
Like?
In reply to overniteman, 11 months ago

Thanks for your help.  I'll give the Eneloops a try.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?

Plus24 wrote:

I just purchased the MB-D10 grip for my D700.

It does not recognize my MAHA AA Powerex 2700 mAh 1.2 v. Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.

I went to the d. Shooting/Display menu and changed the d10 MB-D10 battery type to Ni-MH HR6 (AA Ni-MH)

I also changed the d11 Battery Order menu setting to use MB-D10 first before using the EN-EL3 battery in camera.

I then switched to both camera and grip using the camera batteries and it recognized the EN-EL3 battery in the grip. I checked the Battery Info and both batteries were showing with the MB-D10 outlines as the primary battery in use before the camera battery. Worked fine.

I then switched to AA Alkaline (Duracel) batteries in the grip. They worked fine and the fps was much faster, as expected. Of course, I changed the battery type in the menu to AA alkaline. I checked Battery Info and both grip AA batteries and Camera battery were showing with AA's as primary batteries.

I tried the Ni-MH rechargeable batteries again. I changed the menu setting back to Ni-MH batteries. Still no luck.

Does anyone know why the MAHA AA don't work in the grip? Is it the mAh of 2700 that is too high?

If the MAHA batteries are incompatible with the grip, can someone recommend rechargeable batteries that are compatible? How about the Eneloop? Please be specific as to the exact type of battery.

Thanks for any help.

Plus24

I don't know too much about using AA rechargeable batteries, but when I had the Meike grip for my D700, I bought/used the En-EL4 battery, but you have to purchase the BL3 adaptor so the battery will fit into the grip.  Yes, burst rate went up.  I no longer have the D700/grip because it was close but not like my D3s.  Replaced the D700/grip with the D600 as my 2nd camera.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
rcb11
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 11 months ago

I also bought a grip (non-OEM) for my D700 a few months ago, I bought 8 - Tenergy Premium 2500 mAh Ni-mh batteries, and they have been working fine, make sure they have a full charge, I tried them out of the box, and the camera stayed at 5 fps.

On a side note, I was changing batteries a couple weeks ago, and slid the battery tray into the grip with the camera on (inadvertently), and I got the dreaded solid grey rear LCD screen, not sure how common a problem , but I know it's known. I tried complete power down , pulling all batteries, and 2-button reset, nothing worked to bring it back to life. Not sure if it was because of the aftermarket grip or not, I have read about people having same problem.

rcb11's gear list:rcb11's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Plus24
Like?
In reply to rcb11, 11 months ago

rcb11 wrote:

I also bought a grip (non-OEM) for my D700 a few months ago, I bought 8 - Tenergy Premium 2500 mAh Ni-mh batteries, and they have been working fine, make sure they have a full charge, I tried them out of the box, and the camera stayed at 5 fps.

I just bought 8 eneloop 1900 mAh NI-mh batteries as suggested here and elsewhere. They are slow discharge and they claim to be already charged fresh out of the box. The claim is true. They worked great! The camera instantly recognized them when I put them in my MB-D10 and the FPS was much faster than the standard 5 fps.

I'm going to test them tomorrow on my Nikon SB-800 and SB-910 flashes tomorrow. If they work fine there I'll be buying more eneloops.

On a side note, I was changing batteries a couple weeks ago, and slid the battery tray into the grip with the camera on (inadvertently), and I got the dreaded solid grey rear LCD screen, not sure how common a problem , but I know it's known. I tried complete power down , pulling all batteries, and 2-button reset, nothing worked to bring it back to life. Not sure if it was because of the aftermarket grip or not, I have read about people having same problem.

Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't heard of that problem but I'm always careful to turn stuff off before adding any electrical accessory such as flash, grips, etc.  But it is nice to know that I really need to be careful about turning off the camera before taking out or putting in the batter tray.

I've also heard too many complaints about the after-market Chinese knock-offs for the Nikon MB-D10 grip.  I always buy Nikon rather than after-market.

I also checked my records and my Powerex (MAHA brand) batteries are 5 years old.  I test them in a battery tester and they are still good but, 5 years is a long time.

I'll test other Powerex batteries that I haven't tried in the grip yet after charging them fully tomorrow.  If they don't work either I'm tossing all my Powerex batteries and replacing them with Eneloop.

Regardless of the outcome, if my Eneloops work in my flashes (and I have no reason to think they won't), I now have a brand that I know works for all my needs and will stock up on them.

Thanks for all the replies.  Your input was gratefully appreciated.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads