Grafitti Galore...Austin Style!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,648
Like?
Grafitti Galore...Austin Style!
11 months ago

These were captured in Austin, Texas earlier this month. I decided not to convert them to Black & White!

Thanks for looking!

Glenn

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Grafitti Galore...Austin Style!
In reply to gnagel, 11 months ago

Great stuff as usual, Very graphic, can see why you did not convert to B&W...  

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
My contribution

I rather like no. 2. Much better than cat pictures

Here's my contribution. D800 color test shots, nothing artistic here, just fun color.

Playa del Carmen's not as weird as Austin, but the topless beach is better.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Paul Skelcher
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?
Re: My contribution
In reply to coronawithlime, 11 months ago

Whether legal or not some graffiti may well be considered copyrighted, hence copying without the creator's permission may be a problem. This probably applies more to specific, well-executed, original works that are easy to identify. Copying, ie photographing, might be considered a breach however the image is used.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090408065521AAmCeYX

Paul

gnagel
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, 11 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

Great stuff as usual, Very graphic, can see why you did not convert to B&W...

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Thanks very much...

Glenn

gnagel
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 11 months ago

coronawithlime wrote:

I rather like no. 2. Much better than cat pictures

Here's my contribution. D800 color test shots, nothing artistic here, just fun color.

Playa del Carmen's not as weird as Austin, but the topless beach is better.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Thanks! And, thank for posting your grafitti pictures.

Glenn

gnagel
Like?
In reply to Paul Skelcher, 11 months ago

Paul Skelcher wrote:

Whether legal or not some graffiti may well be considered copyrighted, hence copying without the creator's permission may be a problem. This probably applies more to specific, well-executed, original works that are easy to identify. Copying, ie photographing, might be considered a breach however the image is used.

Paul

Thanks Paul...

Very interesting. It seems hard to believe that taking photographs in a public park could be illegal--unless of course I tried to profit from the grafitti artwork. Perhaps my problem is placing my own copyright on the grafitti images.

Glenn

Stomie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115
Like?
Interesting pics...

...& nicely captured. However, in the way that you have composed & captured the artwork, placing & claiming copyright in your photographs is likely to be inappropriate & legally incorrect (possibly making you liable). Despite the work being "Public Art", it was created by someone else. Some your pics actually show it to be signed. It may even have been paid commissioned work. It's wise to be careful photographing artwork & publishing it with your copyright on the photos. Just my couple of cents 

-- hide signature --

Please note: Images displayed by me are All Rights Reserved Copyright ©

gnagel
Like?
Re: Interesting pics...
In reply to Stomie, 11 months ago

Stomie wrote:

...& nicely captured. However, in the way that you have composed & captured the artwork, placing & claiming copyright in your photographs is likely to be inappropriate & legally incorrect (possibly making you liable). Despite the work being "Public Art", it was created by someone else. Some your pics actually show it to be signed. It may even have been paid commissioned work. It's wise to be careful photographing artwork & publishing it with your copyright on the photos. Just my couple of cents

-- hide signature --

Thanks Stomie...I appreciate your comment. I am going to pull these photos down as I don't wish to create any copyright issues for me or the grafitti artists!

Glenn

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: My contribution interesting....

Paul Skelcher wrote:

Paul

Interesting. thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,353Gear list
Like?
@ Glenn....

gnagel wrote:

Stomie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks Stomie...I appreciate your comment. I am going to pull these photos down as I don't wish to create any copyright issues for me or the grafitti artists!

Glenn

Maybe a silly question but.....

Did the "artists" have an authorization to paint on these walls ? If not, their "work" is illegal IMHO ! ...hence they don't have any copyright !

.....and YOU have all freedom to take pictures and signing them !

J-P.

Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +8 more
gnagel
Like?
Re: @ Glenn....
In reply to JP Scherrer, 11 months ago

JP Scherrer wrote

Did the "artists" have an authorization to paint on these walls ? If not, their "work" is illegal IMHO ! ...hence they don't have any copyright !

J-P.

Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

In this case, the artists have permission to paint on the walls. This is a public grafitti park. I'm thinking I have permission to take pictures of the grafitti, but that those images can only be used for editorial purposes--not for commercial purposes. Then again, I could be wrong!

Glenn

Paul Skelcher
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?

In this case, the artists have permission to paint on the walls. This is a public grafitti park. I'm thinking I have permission to take pictures of the grafitti, but that those images can only be used for editorial purposes--not for commercial purposes. Then again, I could be wrong!

Glenn

Glenn,

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that a general picture of the park including multiple graffiti would be ok for editorial use, ie educational, informative etc.  Not so sure that an image of one graffito could be regarded the same way.  You are, after all, copying a copyrighted work, irrespective of your use.

You can Google cases of upset artists whose paintings and sculptures have been photographed without permission.

Paul

Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416Gear list
Like?

Great shots. There's an area in Miami where the buildings are decorated with really artistic graffiti. If you're interested here's some photos I took there: http://jmlphotography.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Miami-Wyndham-Area-Graffitti

-- hide signature --
ADMint
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?

Paul Skelcher wrote:

Paul

I personally think we're getting into gray areas here. Can the city of Austin sue for taking pictures of it's public building and posting on-line. Do I have to get permission from the parks & recreational services cause I shot a tree at a federal park?

Sounds silly doesn't it. Yeah.

Let's just enjoy the work for what it is and leave the legalize for those that get worried about such things.

Anyway really love the work Mr. Nagel. Keep shooting

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +7 more
coronawithlime
Like?
In reply to JP Scherrer, 11 months ago

JP Scherrer wrote:

gnagel wrote:

Stomie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Glenn

Well, after all, this is a country where the criminals have the right to sue for better benefits 

www.nightstreets.com
-

coronawithlime
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, 11 months ago

Mitrajoon wrote:

Great shots. There's an area in Miami where the buildings are decorated with really artistic graffiti. If you're interested here's some photos I took there: http://jmlphotography.smugmug.com/Street-Scenes/Miami-Wyndham-Area-Graffitti

-- hide signature --

Not sure what I think on the copyright issue myself, but should it really be a valid concern I would think that these types of images would likely be more subject to protection than those of the original poster.

I did enjoy them Mitrajoon, thanx for posting.  Liked your website by the way.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
-

gnagel
Like?

Paul Skelcher wrote:

Glenn

Glenn,

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that a general picture of the park including multiple graffiti would be ok for editorial use, ie educational, informative etc. Not so sure that an image of one graffito could be regarded the same way. You are, after all, copying a copyrighted work, irrespective of your use.

You can Google cases of upset artists whose paintings and sculptures have been photographed without permission.

Paul

I'm thinking that editorial usage would be acceptable. But, offering prints for sale of an image that represents someone else's work seems to present more issues.

Glenn

gnagel
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, 11 months ago

Mitrajoon wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks Jim...very cool images. I'll have to find the graffiti the next time I visit Miami,

Glenn

gnagel
Like?
In reply to ADMint, 11 months ago

ADMint wrote:

I personally think we're getting into gray areas here. Can the city of Austin sue for taking pictures of it's public building and posting on-line. Do I have to get permission from the parks & recreational services cause I shot a tree at a federal park?

Sounds silly doesn't it. Yeah.

Let's just enjoy the work for what it is and leave the legalize for those that get worried about such things.

Anyway really love the work Mr. Nagel. Keep shooting

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

Thanks! I will keep on shooting...

Glenn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads