first birding with K-3... BAM!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,587Gear list
Like?
first birding with K-3... BAM!
3 months ago

The very first time going out birding with my new K-3, the conditions could not have been more perfect.  The weather was as nice as could be (we're looking at water rationing if things get any drier), and the birds were as calm and cooperative as I've ever seen.  A bewildering variety and hardly any of the normal overabundance of familiar species.  I hardly saw a single coot, for instance.

And the camera?  At home it had seemed quirky and weird and disappointing, but out in the wild, it was magnificent.  Even coupled with a notoriously bad focuser like the 55-300.  And the cropability... if you nail the focus exactly right (which is no easy thing, as even at f8 the DOF is damn thin), you can totally get usable 100% crops out of it.  With a consumer zoom!  Pentax is  rocking my world.

american wigeons

willet

greater yellowlegs with female green-winged teals

least peeps

another teal

This last one is a 100% crop!

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Pentax 02 Standard Zoom +3 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulkienitz
Like?
a case study in gadwalls
In reply to paulkienitz, 3 months ago

Here is about the best picture of a gadwall I ever got with my K10D.

And here might be the best one I've gotten with my Q.

Now here's the gadwall I got yesterday with the K-3.

-- hide signature --

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Pentax 02 Standard Zoom +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,852
Like?
Re: a case study in gadwalls

Look out world, Paul the shooter has made his first K-3 mark.

Outstanding first time K-3 shots. Thanks for showing.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,010
Like?
Re: first birding with K-3... BAM!
starjedi
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

Apparently K3 wins... congratulations...

paulkienitz
Like?
my impression of K-3 focusing and metering with birds

Screw-drive autofocus is very fast and very positive compared to what I'm used to, but with fast-moving subjects, sometimes it has more near-misses than actual hits.  For instance, when shooting at BIFs (using selected point with large expanded area), it will easily lock on to targets in cases where my previous camera would just flail helplessly and rack the focus end to end... but the focus it arrives at is usually somewhat off.  Maybe an SDM lens would do better.

On the ground, you have to be cautious of it locking focus on the background behind the bird.  It may only be two feet further back, but if you crop tightly that's enough to make a visible focus error.

The metering, I am very impressed by.  I can shoot at a small white bird in a large brown area and as long as the bird isn't too tiny a portion of the picture, it doesn't blow out the white!  At least, not unrecoverably.  A lot of cameras seem to fail at that even in live view mode.

this is the OOC JPEG, resized down... at full size, it also shows the background focus issue

The colors of the OOC jpegs seem like a definite improvement, even relative to the Q which is not much older.  And the rear monitor's color seems much truer too.  But in DXO 9 the "daylight" setting seems way too magenta by default.

-- hide signature --

AJSAUco
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
Re: my impression of K-3 focusing and metering with birds

Have you calibrated? It sounds like you need to.

paulkienitz
Like?
In reply to AJSAUco, 3 months ago

Not yet.

-- hide signature --

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,593
Like?
Re: first birding with K-3... BAM!

Nicely done Paul

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

paulkienitz
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

Not yet.

-- hide signature --

I just calibrated. The 55-300 got like a +4, and both ends gave the same result, which was nice. DA 50 was +2... more like +1.5 really. Outgoing FA 50 was -2. The old 17-70 was all over the place... combine screw drive and a short throw, and I could hardly get the same result twice. When I did settle on a value, it was like +7, but depending where in the zoom range I was, it might be anything from +5 to +12.

The weird thing was, when shooting the target with flash, the FA 50 overexposed horribly, while the other lenses all worked correctly. WTF is up with that??

-- hide signature --

DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?

Maybe a sticky aperture for your 50?

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
simosvak
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to AJSAUco, 3 months ago

AJSAUco wrote:

how you can do that?

Nicols
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

Now here's the gadwall I got yesterday with the K-3.

That's great news. An excellent shot.

Cheers - Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +10 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

Screw-drive autofocus is very fast and very positive compared to what I'm used to, but with fast-moving subjects, sometimes it has more near-misses than actual hits.

How is your camera set up? I use a User mode for BIF; TAv mode, AF-C, focus priority, 27-point expandable focus point and SR off. AF Hold is set on Low, but if anything can come between me and the subject, I bump it to High.

The metering, I am very impressed by.

That was an unexpected bonus for me too. I have highlight and shadow correction set for Auto. They are set very conservatively (rarely activate, and well justified when they do).

The colors of the OOC jpegs seem like a definite improvement

I found all Pentax DSLR's since the K-x too blue in daylight, especially low intensity daylight. The K-3 is the first to overcome this fault.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
paulkienitz
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 3 months ago

paulkienitz wrote:

Screw-drive autofocus is very fast and very positive compared to what I'm used to, but with fast-moving subjects, sometimes it has more near-misses than actual hits.

How is your camera set up? I use a User mode for BIF; TAv mode, AF-C, focus priority, 27-point expandable focus point and SR off. AF Hold is set on Low, but if anything can come between me and the subject, I bump it to High.

The metering, I am very impressed by.

That was an unexpected bonus for me too. I have highlight and shadow correction set for Auto. They are set very conservatively (rarely activate, and well justified when they do).

The colors of the OOC jpegs seem like a definite improvement

I found all Pentax DSLR's since the K-x too blue in daylight, especially low intensity daylight. The K-3 is the first to overcome this fault.

-- hide signature --

Dan

I was shooting very much as you desctibe, with TAv and full size expanding focus, but with SR on and medium hold.

I rarely used TAv on my older cameras, as the range of good ISO was too small. I'd usually use Sv for birds, in fact.

For me the perfect shooting mode would be one where you set a minimum shutter speed rather than a fixed one. As the light gets dim it raises ISO, but when it's bright it's okay to use higher shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

paulkienitz
Like?
In reply to simosvak, 3 months ago

AJSAUco wrote:

how you can do that?

See http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart
--

paulkienitz
Like?
In reply to DarylK, 3 months ago

Maybe a sticky aperture for your 50?

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

But it was wide open. And mechanically, it seems flawless.

-- hide signature --

simosvak
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

AJSAUco wrote:

how you can do that?

See http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart
--

thank you.

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?

paulkienitz wrote:

I was shooting very much as you desctibe, with TAv and full size expanding focus, but with SR on and medium hold.

I used to shoot BIF with SR on, but my testing showed conclusively that I get sharp photos with SR off, vs. rarely sharp with it on. It's not really needed at normal BIF shutter speeds anyway.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?

SWEET

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads