a57 - SD Card Speed?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Stltennisplyr
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
a57 - SD Card Speed?
10 months ago

Thanks for all the help everyone provided to me which steered me towards the A57.   The camera is shipping and need help with the correct SD card speed or particular brand/model.   From my research it looks like SanDisk may have the best cards, however I haven't been able to find guidance on if I need 30, 40, 45, 80 or 95 for the write speed.   I intend to do still as well as full HD video.   I understand it is great to have the fastest but don't want to waste money if the camera can't even write that fast.   Thanks!

Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Re: a57 - SD Card Speed?
In reply to Stltennisplyr, 10 months ago

All the SLTs are capable of writing upto 45mbps but only A77 & A99 can write at UHS-1 speed. Sony says the A57 cannot write at USH-1 but it will work as a 45mbps card, source here

PNY cards can provide a maximum write speed of 90mbps and is available cheaper then other 45mbps cards on B&H:

32GB @ $29, 90mbps write speed
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016075-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdh32u1h_ge_32gb_elite_sdhc_uhs_1_card.html

64GB @ $40, 60mbps write speed
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016076-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdx64u1h_ge_64gb_elite_sdxc_uhs_1_card.html

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hajime93
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?

class 10 card for video is a must have. I tried using transcend 95mb/s to shoot video in AVCHD full res, still there were frame drops as well. I was quite noticeable when I try to sync a separately recorded audio to the video I shot with my a57 with that card.

if someone can point out that it's not my card or camera's writing probletharen please point it out, I've got a lot to learn when it comes to video (event still shooter here), just trying out the other day and discovered that.

hajime93's gear list:hajime93's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vikas Rana, 10 months ago

Vikas Rana wrote:

All the SLTs are capable of writing upto 45mbps but only A77 & A99 can write at UHS-1 speed. Sony says the A57 cannot write at USH-1 but it will work as a 45mbps card, source here

I think it is actually saying that all SLTs can write up to 10mbps (Class 10), but only the A77 & A99 get any additional benefit from the "UHS-1" cards that are 45mbps or 90mbps.

In other words, if you have an A3x, A5x, or A6x, there's no point spending more money to get a UHS-1 memory card or anything faster than Class 10.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735
Like?
In reply to hajime93, 10 months ago

hajime93 wrote:

class 10 card for video is a must have. I tried using transcend 95mb/s to shoot video in AVCHD full res, still there were frame drops as well. I was quite noticeable when I try to sync a separately recorded audio to the video I shot with my a57 with that card.

if someone can point out that it's not my card or camera's writing probletharen please point it out...

All the SLT user manuals say Class 4 is sufficient for video, except for the special Simultaneous Record mode of the A99, which needs Class 10 or UHS1.

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

Class 6 or better. I have a few class 6 cards and it'll do full HD @ 60 fps fine on my A57.

But, if I were to buy anything, I'd go class 10 UHS I. BH Photo was pointed out. Check Amazon as well. I actually last week, bought a class 10 UHS I one of those mini micro thingies that you insert into an adapter turning it into an SD card for under $20 from Amazon. Works perfectly. I figured, why not one of those mini cards because I could use it in those Android tablets which often accept those types of cards...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Dutchpepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 10 months ago

On my a57 I use the SanDisk Extreme Class 10, good price excellent card I've had no problems

Craig
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?

Hi
I have an A57 & started with the Sandisc Ultimate Cl 10, not the very quick ones (don't have it with me so can't be sure of the exact model but think it was the 45mbs, will update later), then bought a couple of the Transcend cl 10 600x cards & didn't notice any measureable improvement in write speeds - for example on in camera HDR/Rich tone mono, which can take 3 -5 seconds to clear.

So I would buy the fastest you can of the normal ones, the Transcends were 12GBP each so no downside really ! I've used Transcend for years & never had any problems.

Good luck

RT

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,366Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Class 6 or better. I have a few class 6 cards and it'll do full HD @ 60 fps fine on my A57.

But, if I were to buy anything, I'd go class 10 UHS I. BH Photo was pointed out. Check Amazon as well. I actually last week, bought a class 10 UHS I one of those mini micro thingies that you insert into an adapter turning it into an SD card for under $20 from Amazon. Works perfectly. I figured, why not one of those mini cards because I could use it in those Android tablets which often accept those types of cards...

I actually never bought a SD card when I got my camera. I had a few class 10 micro SD and adaptors lying around so I am still using that with out problem. Yes that's the main advantage of them for me, the Android tables take them, which means I can take pictures and view it on my table when on travel. This saves me from taking my laptop with me and I get better feedback than my camera's LCD screen.

OP: if you have use case for wifi, look at the Eye-fi card. I think they are silly expensive hence been planning on buying them for many many months lol. I have a ftp server that I could upload my pictures to as back up. Eye-fi would help with this.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to nandbytes, 10 months ago

OP: if you have use case for wifi, look at the Eye-fi card. I think they are silly expensive hence been planning on buying them for many many months lol. I have a ftp server that I could upload my pictures to as back up. Eye-fi would help with this.

I've read they're flaky and slow.... I decided to look for other brands. Transcend for instance has something. I forget what they're called. But I haven't looked for a while, because I got turned off by the prices.

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
sybersitizen
Like?

123Mike wrote:

I've read they're flaky and slow.... I decided to look for other brands. Transcend for instance has something.

The DPReview comparison disagrees:

'Upload time for a 6MP JPEG with the Eye-Fi card was approximately 6 seconds. This test was carried out on my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro with both yielding the same result. Meanwhile, upload time for a 6MP JPEG with the Transcend card was approximately 11 seconds. Yikes.'

I recently bought a new old stock 8GB Pro X2 (the Connect X2 will also work with recent Alphas, but it only comes in 4GB and has fewer capabilities) from eBay at about half retail price. Installation of the software and configuration of the card were fiddly, but once I got everything set up the card has been working very well.

The X2 Pro 8GB is Class 6; the 16GB version is Class 10. As I said above, you only need Class 4 for video (the original topic of the thread).

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,366Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

I've read they're flaky and slow.... I decided to look for other brands. Transcend for instance has something. I forget what they're called. But I haven't looked for a while, because I got turned off by the prices.

I think there are reviews on both sides.I wouldn't mind so much giving it a try but like you said they are expensive and I keep putting it off. After my recent purchases, I barely have money to buy myself lunch lol.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
sybersitizen
Like?
More (OT) stuff about Eye-Fi...
In reply to sybersitizen, 10 months ago

I forgot to add that there's also a new 'Mobi' Eye-Fi card. It costs less than the Pro X2 and is easier to set up, but it's specialized for mobile devices and is missing some features of the Pro X2. Check out the differences carefully before buying!

123Mike
Like?
Re: More (OT) stuff about Eye-Fi...
In reply to sybersitizen, 10 months ago

sybersitizen wrote:

I forgot to add that there's also a new 'Mobi' Eye-Fi card. It costs less than the Pro X2 and is easier to set up, but it's specialized for mobile devices and is missing some features of the Pro X2. Check out the differences carefully before buying!

That's one of the things I don't like about how that product is made. All this pussyfooting around which version does what and which one does not. It's all just software.

What I want to do is upload from Camera to Linux box, and later, to an Android app that I'll be making and running on my mobile, tv-stick, neo-x5, tablet, and what-not.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,851Gear list
Like?
In reply to Atgard, 10 months ago

Vikas Rana wrote:

I think it is actually saying that all SLTs can write up to 10mbps (Class 10), but only the A77 & A99 get any additional benefit from the "UHS-1" cards that are 45mbps or 90mbps.

In other words, if you have an A3x, A5x, or A6x, there's no point spending more money to get a UHS-1 memory card or anything faster than Class 10.

My latest card is Sony (94Mb/s) that I use on my a55 and and have noticed it to write faster than older Sandisk 45mbps I'd been using on it. Of course thoe specs represent read speed, but I think the Sony has a faster write speed than the old Sandisk which is noticeable in burst mode.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
LowRyter
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

Class 4 or faster.  That comes from the manual.

LowRyter's gear list:LowRyter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
hobo
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to Atgard, 3 months ago

Atgard wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

Very in time!

If you know more about A58 write speed - please share!

hobo's gear list:hobo's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony SLT-A58 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to hobo, 3 months ago

I've used the Sony and Panasonic R90 / W45MB/s cards in my A57 and they worked perfectly. Around £18-£20 for 16GB. I am using a Transcend R90 / W60MB 64GB in the A77II and thats working just as well.

Any of the Class 10 / UHS-1 cards would be suitable. Just make sure you format it in the camera when you first receive it.

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads