Trip to the Airport (Nikon Dƒ, some long lensing, some street)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021Gear list
Like?
Trip to the Airport (Nikon Dƒ, some long lensing, some street)
3 months ago

Dƒ haters, please close this tab now.

Yesterday, on the occasion of the 13th birthday of my stepson, we decided to take a family trip to the airport.

I struggled longer than usual on the gear selection because I knew I wanted to take my Dƒ and my experience with large lenses hasn't been good so far. I knew that I would be shooting in low light, so the Df was going in the bag, but I knew that I would be using a long lens so I seriously considered taking my D800. But they wouldn't both fit in the bag, so a compromise was in order.

In the end I decided on:

• Kit 50/1.8G
  • Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
  • Sigma 15mm f/2.8 diagonal fisheye
  • Nikon 300mm f/2.8G VRII (circular polariser inserted in the slot)

First, we got the boy two hours in a flight simulator.

Sigma 35/1.4

I got a couple nice shots of the cramped cockpit with the fisheye, but meh. It's a fisheye, not particularly sharp, and shows faces of people who I don't want to put on the internet.

Anyway, then we headed for the observation deck of the nearest international airport, ZRH.

Closeup! Kit 50 Included for pure comedian effect.

Did I mention the boy is totally consumed with passenger jets? Yeah, I guess you figured that much out on your own. He's using (and gets great photos with) a D5100 and Tamron 18-270 PZD superzoom.

Using the 300 f/2.8 VRII was more comfortable that I thought. As long as you aren't using barely-there grip to raise the lens, like I tend to do larger standard and wide angle zooms, it's fine. Obviously, with such a long lens, you'll need to keep your hand underneath for stability.

I had a TC14 too, but I didn't need it at this distance.

Check the elbow. I have pretty large hands. Nikon 1 AW1 with kit zoom

We just love the airport.

Anyway, I got some takeoff images that I kind of liked. The light was pretty bad, but at least the atmospheric conditions were good for contrails. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't even be showing these, honestly.

Contrails. Df and 300/2.8

Landing Gear retracting Df and 300/2.8

Finally, on the way home (by train) I switched to street mode and got some images that I find pleasant.

Most of these are SOOC just boomified a bit with contrast and clarity.

Kit 50

I resent being forced by Nikon to buy another 50, but it works well.

The famous Swiss railway clock design that caused an out-of-court settlement with Apple

All aboard.

We're a very photographic family. Sometimes we take shots a split second apart.

SOOC My shot. Kit 50

Her shot. I like my version better Note to self: remember to synchronise the clocks on the cameras

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading about our little adventure, my thoughts on gear selection and experience with the Nikon Df.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
Re: Trip to the Airport (Nikon Dƒ, some long lensing, some street)
In reply to InTheMist, 3 months ago

Thanks ITM,

i like the first 2 and some of the street shots. (The simulator being the best all around) I wish we had observation decks in the US, don't know of any around me.

i am particularly interested in the back story of your step son's interest in photography, My 6 1/2 year old wants a camera and I would love to share my intrest with him. I may pick him up a coolpix, any pointers are appreciated

thanks.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 3 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

i like the first 2 and some of the street shots. (The simulator being the best all around) I wish we had observation decks in the US, don't know of any around me.

There are several of them in the USA. I live near a major airport with a large viewing area that was constructed for this purpose. It even has audio from the control tower.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
HRonen
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

It is a great present, a visit to an airport. I am never bored there, so much to observe. My favorite image of yours is the Swiss plane flying in the hallway.

Here is a little glimpse to children's playing room captured at the Milwaukee airport:

The real thing

Thanks for sharing your images with us.

Haim

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 3 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Thanks! Lots of airports have observation decks, or at least areas nearby that the local airport rats hang out at.

You can google "plainspotting" and the airport name for tips.

Also, I sometimes look on google maps and see parking areas at the ends of the runways.  There will usually be cars visible because Google only buys images taken in good light.  In most cases, you'll find more than one perspective parking spot.  Remember the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so try to get keep the sun to your back.  If the wind changes, they reverse the runways tho, so that planes there were taking off just over your location will be landing over your head.  I think it doesn't matter, but they do land slower and less dramatically than they take off though.

At Zurich airport, there is actually a little grill exactly across from the observation deck that people flock to when the new Airbus A380 takes off.  It's a common hangout spot for plainspotters and photographers.

i am particularly interested in the back story of your step son's interest in photography, My 6 1/2 year old wants a camera and I would love to share my intrest with him. I may pick him up a coolpix, any pointers are appreciated

For him, photography is a way to more deeply interact with his hobbies.

My stepson shoots exclusively automatic mode, and that's fine. I try to not bore him with photo blah-blah but I'll ask him, for example "don't you think that photo of mom would look better without so much sky over her head?" If he agrees, I'll show him how to crop it in camera. I try to make it a stress-free time.

My tip: Take your son to interesting places and activities that he likes, give him a camera and (very gentle) pointers as he goes.  And even if he's not interested in photography, you'll get good shots and spend quality time with the kid.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?

InTheMist wrote:

Dƒ haters, please close this tab now.

Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 2 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

For him, photography is a way to more deeply interact with his hobbies.

My stepson shoots exclusively automatic mode, and that's fine. I try to not bore him with photo blah-blah but I'll ask him, for example "don't you think that photo of mom would look better without so much sky over her head?" If he agrees, I'll show him how to crop it in camera. I try to make it a stress-free time.

My tip: Take your son to interesting places and activities that he likes, give him a camera and (very gentle) pointers as he goes. And even if he's not interested in photography, you'll get good shots and spend quality time with the kid.

-- hide signature --

ITM- I picked him up a $15 coolpix on ebay and he has it attached to him - and also taking a bunch of photos of his lego creations Thanks

out taking pictures of the ice boats.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads