"Patience is Bitter...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
"Patience is Bitter...
6 months ago

...but its fruit is sweet." —Aristotle

I keep thinking of all these poor saps who are cutting their line and running into the hands of Canikon. BAD move, IMHO.

Yes, we were all saddened by the lack of the hoped-for E-7... but Olympus did not abandon us. I haven't tried the EM-1 yet, but it does work, and work well, with 4/3 lenses.. and the next generation will likely be seamless.

Photography is changing in MAJOR ways right now. It's almost like the early days when film was first getting stomped on by digital, and hold-outs (like me) said, "digital will never be as good as film.." well, we know what happened there.

Now it's the end of the DSLR... the mirror is soon to be a relic. Why, why, why would you dump your Oly gear and buy into another DSLR system?

Olympus and m4/3 seem to be the cutting edge of ILCs... rave reviews. We've got great lenses and a path forward.

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

TheManWhoWas
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: "Patience is Bitter...
In reply to Doctor Lecter, 6 months ago

Doctor Lecter wrote:

I keep thinking of all these poor saps who are cutting their line and running into the hands of Canikon. BAD move, IMHO.

Yes, we were all saddened by the lack of the hoped-for E-7... but Olympus did not abandon us. I haven't tried the EM-1 yet, but it does work, and work well, with 4/3 lenses.. and the next generation will likely be seamless.

Photography is changing in MAJOR ways right now. It's almost like the early days when film was first getting stomped on by digital, and hold-outs (like me) said, "digital will never be as good as film.." well, we know what happened there.

Now it's the end of the DSLR... the mirror is soon to be a relic. Why, why, why would you dump your Oly gear and buy into another DSLR system?

Olympus and m4/3 seem to be the cutting edge of ILCs... rave reviews. We've got great lenses and a path forward.

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I totally agree. I wanted to upgrade my E510 for about a year, but held out on rumours of the E7. Then it turned out the EM1 was the official replacement, so I bought that.

And the big revelation has been the EVF - these things are game changing! I am now firmly in the camp who see the SLR mechanism as not long for this world. A legacy mechanical solution to a film era problem versus a very rapidly evolving feature rich fully electronic solution: there is only ever one winner in such battles.

And when Canikon decide they can switch without compromising AF or viewfinder performance compared to their current DSLRs, I expect the transition to happen very quickly. It will start at the bottom end where OVFs are pretty rubbish anyway, and work its way through the range as people start to realise the massive feature set unlocked by having the entire functionality of the camera accessible in the viewfinder and the advantages of WYSIWYG.

So don't switch, evolve!

TheManWhoWas's gear list:TheManWhoWas's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Well there are still a few Pure DSLR users here and a few who will be running/ have run to Canikon.

Photography always changes.

To quote Mark Twain

‘The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated'

I don't think you have been reading the camera sales figures that have come out lately mirror less camera sales are in decline after the initial take up. Strangely Nikon and Canon are holding there own.

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Yes, photography is changing, yet again.

KEH has started selling film. The output quality of consumer desktop film scanners today is very, very impressive. The entry cost for a pro level Medium Format kit is less than the cost of a new m.z 12-40. One can pick up a 500C body for $300 USD. One can also pick up a new, with full one year warranty e-pm1 for $114.95 USD.

I'd say film is holding it's own. I'm not so sure m4/3 is, outside of the Pacific Rim. Unfortunate perhaps because m4/3 does have something to offer, for what it is. But it is not Medium Format, Full Frame nor DSLR. Canon and Nikon obviously realize that. They're the only ones making money on all this, and KEH.

I like my E1 and E30 thank you. I like my E-PL1 too, even with my shutter-shock hands (the VF2 helped eliminate that). And I like my EVO, internet connected, audio recorder, picture and movie enabled as it is, it just isn't a camera.

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
In reply to CollBaxter, 6 months ago

I do love that Twain quote

I can understand the temptation to run... but still think it's a bad move.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Henry Caron
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,942
Like?
Have time to wait but may take a few steps sideways.

I can out wait Olympus, once they make cameras that are a pleasure for me to hold I will be more then pleased to buy them.  I expect i will be getting a non Olympus camera that fits my hand while Olympus get it's act together.

Henry

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796Gear list
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Patience is something that many in this world do not have. It is the desire for instant gratification at almost any cost, what is best for me is truly what matters. People change their camera gear, that has been going on for well over a century, nothing new there. The part that seems odd, out of place and an attraction to other like minded users is the need to post that they are moving to another system and spell out the reasons why they feel they were wronged and thus are moving on. Each of us makes decisions each and every day, and like it or not, we are the ones that own those decisions and thus are accountable for them. If someone wants to make a change, that is their choice, I do not need to know why if within that why is the blaming of others. What I like, what I feel I require is of little or no consequence nor care to another, the same works in return.

Your quote from no less than Aristotle is spot on, thank you for sharing that one.

Somewhere around here I have two cents...they must be in one of the camera bags.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,315
Like?
I see something else
In reply to mapgraphs, 6 months ago

1041 sees a small but very steady stream of big rig owners, all saying the same thing: I'm tired of lugging all this stuff around, tired of intimidating people and drawing unwanted attention with a big camera and big FF glass. Most of them find, after they get a small solution, that the big rig ends up sitting on the shelf. The advantages are definitely there.

The 'camera of the year' for the last two years in a row has been... an Olympus camera. EM5, and now EM1. Who would ever have imagined that happening?

The critique of the 4/3 sensor has moved from genuine differences to pixel peeping and increasingly rare situations. Look at what they are saying today, versus what was said six or seven years ago.

This isn't reflected in sales in the US and EU markets, but it is reflected in sales in the emerging Asian markets, where there isn't a huge base of existing C/N owners. In new markets, where no existing brand loyal base exists, they are choosing the smaller, lighter system in increasing numbers.

Whatever short term sales changes one may find, the simple fact is: µ43 has gone from nothing to a decent market segment in six short years.

mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
Re: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Doctor Lecter wrote:

I can understand the temptation to run... but still think it's a bad move.

There will always be people who feel they're not well served by their current system. It's not confined to Oly users - plenty of Canon/Nikon/Sony users switch systems when a new pro body is released. Understandable if the new camera has features which will make them money, but often it's fear of being left behind people with money to burn who want the latest and greatest.

-- hide signature --
mapgraphs
Like?
Re: I see something else
In reply to TrapperJohn, 6 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

In new markets, where no existing brand loyal base exists, they are choosing the smaller, lighter system in increasing numbers.

Whatever short term sales changes one may find, the simple fact is: µ43 has gone from nothing to a decent market segment in six short years.

What is always hard is stepping away from the echo chamber effect, especially within an insular group. The “it must be true” because “almost everyone agrees” types of rationalizations. Case in point is DPR “Camera of the Year” of the last two years. If the E-M5 was so great, why is it outsold in Japan by the PEN line, 12 to 1? And that is their home market.

At any rate, there is a lot of data out there pointing to why Canon and Nikon are the industry leaders, if one is willing to read. That isn’t predictive but neither is “Camera of the Year” on some camera web site. If you want “a” somewhat sobering view of reality (not “the” view), look at the top cameras on Camera Finder on Flickr:

Apple iPhone 5, Apple iPhone 4S, Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5s, Canon EOS 5D Mark II

And then look at the Brand Ranking, Canon, Apple, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, HTC, Pentax for the top 10. But more importantly, look at the number of users for each camera listed. For a sample:

Apple iPhone5 - 10,496, Canon T3i – 3,143, Canon 5DmkII – 3,014, Nikon D7000 – 2,445, Olympus E-M5 – 460, Olympus E-M1 – 158, Olympus EPL1 – 115. (One needs to keep in mind that this is a dynamic ranking dependent on daily upload.)

If you want to extrapolate (speculate), “mirrorless” is a very small segment and after all these years since moving to m4/3 only, Panasonic makes it to #7 on the Flickr list with the DMZ-FZ200 – 134 users. And Panasonic continues to loose market share - at home.

An Olympus snapshot:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/olympus/

Canon:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/

Panasonic:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/

skeys
skeys MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436Gear list
Like?
Anyone care to guess when… ?

I do not now see any reason to spend further big bucks on any additional camera gear. My current Oly and Panasonic cameras and lenses already satisfy enough of my current requirements. I am now holding out until a camera manufacturer figures it out …

For those whom believe the mirror is soon to become a relic, just how soon do you guess high-end EVF's in, or on top of, cameras will become relics, as well as screens on the back of cameras?

Consider the alternative: tethered shooting without the tether. Although wi-fi capable cameras have already started this technological trend, I am waiting for the camera's EVF to be placed in some kind of wearable apparatus, either glasses like Google Glass or a headband thingy.

The advantages seem so obvious to me: In the early morning light just before sunrise, or the late evening light just before sunset, I can place my camera on a tripod, set the framing I desire, then sit on the ground as I watch the EVF for the lighting I seek.

How about the street shooter looking at his wearable EVF, or his tablet screen, while pointing his camera in another direction? How much less-intimidating would that be? Perhaps I could even fool my daughter into thinking I am not capturing a photo of her, thus eliminating a quickly turned head, which is her usual reaction.

I am sure many here can find other examples for which to use this tech advance.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone care to guess when… ?
In reply to skeys, 6 months ago

Your first paragraph is what interests me Steve. If current sensor technology is near its limit the key will be when and what camera companies can bring next. Then consider the consumer and what it will take to attract these people who probably are satisfied with their current camera. It will be a bit of a task to convince them to buy again. People on forums like this are not the norm and likely don't represent the mass numbers they want.

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

Recently I have been able to pick up a like new 12-60 on Ebay and a 50-200SWD form KEH.  I plan on using these lenses on my E30 for the near future. Until my skills surpass the capabilities of this body, or it fails, I have no need for a new body ( being a bit of a gadget geek I would like a new body, who wouldn't )

In a year or two, if a used market develops for the EM1,  I may get one to try, or maybe Olympus will come up with midlevel models with the same sensor, but for now I'll just be patient

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
skeys
skeys MOD
Like?
Possible announcement January 29 at 6am London time...
In reply to Rmark, 6 months ago

according to a rumor Ben Herrmann spotted a couple days ago: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52927738  .

Rmark wrote:

... maybe Olympus will come up with midlevel models with the same sensor, but for now I'll just be patient
-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,315
Like?
Market leaders usually lead

Nikon rose to fame in the 1960's for reasons of innovation: the F mount system, which took the SLR concept that Zeiss came up with, and eliminated the in body iris and leaf shutter that limited lens design. By 1970, Nikon had run Zeiss out of the SLR market. Canon caught Nikon in the 1980's, when they developed autofocus and IS, and Nikon was slow on both of them. Innovation propelled both to the top.

However, since that time, both have done very little innovation. The DSLR itself, the first commercially successful one, came from Kodak, the DCS series. C/N jumped in when Kodak started selling a lot of them. Olympus came up with live view, tilt/fold LCD, dust remover. Minolta developed IBIS. Sony and Panasonic put out the first serious cameras with EVF's. Nikon did build video on top of Oly's live view, let's give them credit for that. Otherwise, neither Nikon nor Canon have contributed much to new ideas, just a few more MP, another stop ISO, every two years. And that works, until MP and ISO start hitting a point of diminishing returns, where further increases just aren't that visible in the final photograph. As they are doing now.

C/N maintain their position by virtue of a lot of people who own their lenses, and a large selection of lenses. Aside from the niches that Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, and Sigma picked up on, and owner loyalty and value that Sony tried for, there wasn't a compelling reason to move from C/N and give up that extensive lens line.

There is now. Mirrorless hits them with size, right at a time when big cameras are falling out of vogue. C/N can't compete against that without giving up their greatest advantage, that installed lens base. Can't shrink the lens without losing their lens mount monopoly. That was evident in the rather lackluster mirrorless offerings they came up with. Nothing new, not even competitive with what was already out there, and especially, no base of existing lens owners to rely on. µ43 has the big lens base in this market, and that now includes the wicked sharp ZD lenses.

Who will provide the new ideas for the DSLR, now that the companies that were doing this have moved on to mirrorless? When Fuji developed the X-Trans sensor, which does have rendering advantages over traditional Bayer sensors, they didn't put it in a DSLR. They put it in the X series mirrorless bodies. And they didn't license it to C/N - didn't need to, they have a new market.

And that is why the EM1 came from Olympus and not Nikon, the A7 came from Sony and not Canon. Because Canon and Nikon have forgotten how to innovate, or how to compete with anyone but each other, or to do anything more than bump up MP and ISO every two years.

This won't happen overnight, but within five years, either C/N will clean out their mid and upper level management and start creating new, exciting products, or the limitations of the DSLR design will run up against a rapidly increasing µ43 lens base. Asia has already picked up on this.

It's easy to think that the camera market won't change because it hasn't really changed much since Nikon rose and Canon rose, but that's probably what Microsoft was thinking when mobile came along. Nothing can challenge us... until it did challenge them, and MS found, like C/N found, that simply putting their name on a mediocre product isn't enough, once the monopoly advantage is taken away.

TheManWhoWas
Like?
Re: Anyone care to guess when… ?
In reply to skeys, 6 months ago

skeys wrote:

For those whom believe the mirror is soon to become a relic, just how soon do you guess high-end EVF's in, or on top of, cameras will become relics, as well as screens on the back of cameras?

Consider the alternative: tethered shooting without the tether. Although wi-fi capable cameras have already started this technological trend, I am waiting for the camera's EVF to be placed in some kind of wearable apparatus, either glasses like Google Glass or a headband thingy.

I can see this being a possibility, but not an exclusive option. Lots of people don't like wearing glasses even when they need them, so I can't see everyone choosing to wear glasses just so they can take photos.

Also, having played with the wifi on my EM1, I've got to say there is something strangely disorientating about trying to position the camera whilst looking at the live view on the phone. Sort of like one of those puzzles where you have to draw round a shape whilst looking in a mirror, I find myself struggling to move the camera in the right direction.

So I can see wearable glasses with cameras built in (like Google are doing) but not so sure having the camera in my hands and the view in my eyes separated would work...

Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
mapgraphs
Like?
Re: Market leaders usually lead - for a reason
In reply to TrapperJohn, 6 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

There is now. Mirrorless hits them with size, right at a time when big cameras are falling out of vogue.

that's probably what Microsoft was thinking when mobile came along. Nothing can challenge us...

Sigh…

If Nikon and Canon’s growth has slowed, Panasonic’s market share is shriveling, and Olympus the same, it kind of points to a change in the consumer electronics market – AS A WHOLE. They’re all loosing business. However, Olympus and Panasonic have a lot less room to maneuver than C & N or even Sony. And it will be interesting to see where Olympus goes with another m4/3 competitor (“Kodak”).

Which all makes it kind of sad that Olympus abandoned the DSLR market considering the stellar reputation of the 4/3 lens line. Smaller per se isn’t better, it’s just smaller. Smaller didn’t work for Olympus the last time around, but they’re doing it all over again, for the same reasons. It really looks like Olympus management is stuck in a failed view of the camera market, a view that eventually bombed (the E1 - E5 route broke that mindset). And remember, both Nikon and Canon made some of the top “small” ever made, the S3 family and Canon 7 family. And what replaced them? How much of a market share does Leica "small" have in the top end of the Full Frame market?

If the market research said there was growth potential, long term, in “mirrorless” you can bet Canon and Nikon would be in that market, cannibalizing their own product line in the process. But what part of their market are they cannibalizing? Full Frame. What market is Sony moving into with innovation? Full Frame.

The now is fewer cameras, more smart phones and tablets. Smart phones are the “smaller” and tablets are the “larger.” The future for this market appears to be "larger."

So, while I appreciate m4/3 and what it has to offer, I do use my e-pl1, it isn’t DSLR. For me DSLR really is the all-in-one solution for the foreseeable future. For me m4/3 is a viable adjunct, along with a Bessa R, but hardly a replacement. I’ll stay with Olympus as long as there are 4/3 bodies available for the lenses I use, but I will keep an eye on Nikon and Sony, if Olympus can't deliver...

BTW, the $114.95/1 year full warranty e-pm1 is probably the best m4/3 deal out there at the moment, and it definitely is small.

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
The Future is Now

Doctor Lecter wrote:

"The Future is Now"--George Allen

I have been looking at the E-M1 and have read a lot about it, including a look at customer reviews at the Adorama, B&H, and Amazon site.  On the basis of these reviews, it appears that a fair number of E-M1 customers are/were Canikon customers, some buying a second system and some buying in completely (selling off their gear to do so).   Granted these are reviews and my opinions are formed on an unscientific assessment of these reviews, but I found it striking the number of customers who made this claim, many claiming the size/weight/quality advantages of the E-M1 over their current equipment.  There are people moving in the other direction--from Canikon to Olympus.

From the standpoint of a FT user, the E-M1 seems to have decent results focusing the FT lenses and there is a credible FT path. There is a micro FT path as well that can be adopted.  If you own FT glass you can phase  mircro FT glass it in over time. Lots of legacy SHG FT glass can be found at prices in used markets which were unthinkable a couple of years ago.

The EVF has some disadvantages, but also some significant advantages as well.

A lot of people bagged on the E-5 for its size, but the E-M1 is compact and the battery grip makes it workable with FT glass.

Now is a pretty exciting time, particularly compared to how things were just a couple of years ago.

TheManWhoWas
Like?
Re: Market leaders usually lead - for a reason

mapgraphs wrote:

Which all makes it kind of sad that Olympus abandoned the DSLR market considering the stellar reputation of the 4/3 lens line. Smaller per se isn’t better, it’s just smaller.

Actually, all they ever got was flak for the "small sensor", so it stands to reason that they tried to capitilise on that by making smaller cameras and lenses.

Also you are assuming that "mirrorless" necessarily implies "small". You can make a D4 sized camera with an EVF and no mirror. I expect such things lie in the future; notice how as the tech matures, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony are all releasing bigger "enthusiast" cameras that look like DSLRs but don't contain the SLR bit.

If the market research said there was growth potential, long term, in “mirrorless” you can bet Canon and Nikon would be in that market, cannibalizing their own product line in the process.

The thing they don't want to do is release a "mirrorless DSLR" that performs worse than the model it is replacing. At the moment mirrorless cameras are still trying to conclusively nail the PDAF / tracking issue. And EVFs are only just getting to the point where their advantages over OVFs outweight their disadvantages. But this is fast evolving tech.

So jump too soon and they will be ridiculed, jump too late and they risk missing the boat (as Olympus did with the transition from film to DSLR). But I doubt many cameras 5 years from now will be blinding their sensors by sticking a mirror in the way whatever their size.

skeys
skeys MOD
Like?
For many people, been there, done that...
In reply to TheManWhoWas, 6 months ago

TheManWhoWas wrote:

Sort of like one of those puzzles where you have to draw round a shape whilst looking in a mirror, I find myself struggling to move the camera in the right direction.

Yes, there will be a learning experience but many people are already doing something very similar: Using the side mirrors on their pickup trucks, or big rig tractors, to move a connected trailer while backing up.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads