Poll re Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Polls
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,031Gear list
Like?
Poll re Nikon Df
7 months ago

I like the Df just fine, but what I would like to see Nikon make is a digital Nikon S with the ability to use F moiunt lenses. I would prefer and FX sensor, but a DX would be cool also.

What do you think? Flame suit....on.

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
POLL
I would like on also
41.1% 23  votes
What a horrible idea!
26.8% 15  votes
What's a Nikon S?
32.1% 18  votes
  Show results
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll re Nikon Df
In reply to bikinchris, 7 months ago

It would be cheaper to buy a used Leica M8 or even a used M9.

While the concept is very appealing, Nikon sells more D800s in one month than Leica sells in rangefinders in one year.

With such a small marketplace it simply doesn't make sense for a giant like Nikon to build a specialty camera for such a small market segment.  Bigger fish to fry.

Rangefinders are not simple to make due to their mechanical nature and the need for a specialized sensor (microlenses to support acute ray angles).  So I would expect the cost to be about the same as a Leica M-E.

That being said, a specialized Nikon D4 sensor, its processor, in an M body would be a killer camera.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
S t e f a n
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to user_name, 7 months ago

So you end up with a rangefinder camera, but using the huge SLR lenses (instead of taking advantage of the shorter lens to sensor distance possible in the rangefinder). Sounds like having the worst of both worlds. Also, no offense intended, but if you start a thread, couldn't you proofread, or run a spell checker?

olakiril2
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?

Problem is that Nikon would do such a crappy job that it wouldn't resemble the S2 at all.

So better leave the classic designs to the companies that still know how to make them.

lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

I like the Df just fine, but what I would like to see Nikon make is a digital Nikon S with the ability to use F moiunt lenses. I would prefer and FX sensor, but a DX would be cool also.

The second sentence doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure what you're asking. Should "and" be exchanged with "an"? I understand if you aren't a native English speaker, it's just hard to understand what's asked.

jase
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
In reply to lost_in_utah, 7 months ago

Nikon on should make a digital S2 compatible with a Leica M bayonet As there are a bazzillion lenses for it out there already. if they could do something über clever so that you could also mount small autofocus lenses that would be cool too.  Rangefinders were complicated 80 years ago, now they'd be easy peasy.  Nikon made a limited edition new build s2 40 years after the went out of production, its just a pity they stopped and didn't slip a digital back on a few years later.

-- hide signature --

jase
www.jellisphoto.co.uk

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M9 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM +8 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,664
Like?
Nikon should...

Make a mirrorless DX camera with precise swings, tilts, and shifts. I would have an F mount so the FX lenses would allow some extra coverage for the movements. It would also have built-in WiFi and apps for Mac, Windows, iPad, and other tablets.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

user_name
Like?
In reply to S t e f a n, 7 months ago

post?S t e f a n wrote:

So you end up with a rangefinder camera, but using the huge SLR lenses (instead of taking advantage of the shorter lens to sensor distance possible in the rangefinder). Sounds like having the worst of both worlds. Also, no offense intended, but if you start a thread, couldn't you proofread, or run a spell checker?

I am assuming that you were responding to bikinchris' Post?

I think you are right, you can't use F-mount lenses for a small rangefinder and most of those F-mount lenses have autofocus hardware that is just extra baggage.  Even the AI-S manual lenses are fairly large.

There is a lot of Leica M lenses out there. However, I can't see Nikon willingly relying on another manufacture's lenses for one of their products.

Certainly, it would not be in Leica's interests to partner with any company that is going to build a competing M body.

Which is why I stated that it was probably easier and cheaper to just go out and buy a used M8 or M9 if one really wants a digital rangefinder.

user_name
Like?
In reply to jase, 7 months ago

jase wrote:

Nikon on should make a digital S2 compatible with a Leica M bayonet As there are a bazzillion lenses for it out there already. if they could do something über clever so that you could also mount small autofocus lenses that would be cool too. Rangefinders were complicated 80 years ago, now they'd be easy peasy. Nikon made a limited edition new build s2 40 years after the went out of production, its just a pity they stopped and didn't slip a digital back on a few years later.

-- hide signature --

jase
www.jellisphoto.co.uk

I don't think it is easy to design a true rangefinder.

The mechanism is mechanical one of high precision to get accurate ranging and requires a precise optical viewfinder assembly.  It is also prone to periodic adjustment to keep it calibrated.

All of this is doable, but you are talking about a very small market share of potential buyers - smaller than the Df.

That is not enough volume to bring costs down to sub-Leica prices.  If a Df sells for $2,700 Nikon surely will not build a rangefinder for less than that.

Rangefinders are not he future.  I think Sony has demonstrated where technology is headed for small footprint cameras and it is not mechanical in nature.

bikinchris
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

The second sentence doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure what you're asking. Should "and" be exchanged with "an"? I understand if you aren't a native English speaker, it's just hard to understand what's asked.

I just have big fingers and I am thus prone to typos. If I have offended you, I offer my apologies.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
bikinchris
Like?
In reply to S t e f a n, 7 months ago

S t e f a n wrote:

You are correct, I have a tendency for making typos and I didn't proofread. Sorry you couldn't understand what I wrote.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,408Gear list
Like?
Re: Query
In reply to user_name, 7 months ago

user_name wrote:

Nikon sells more D800s in one month than Leica sells in rangefinders in one year.

While you may be right where do you get Nikon DSLR production numbers by model?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
user_name
Like?
Re: Query
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 7 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

user_name wrote:

Nikon sells more D800s in one month than Leica sells in rangefinders in one year.

While you may be right where do you get Nikon DSLR production numbers by model?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

I apologize.  I read that recently in some online mag, but I can't recall if it was Ming's or Steve Duff's comment or someone else.  If I can find it I will post a link.

bikinchris
Like?
Trying to be more clear.

In my OP, I didn't mention that this camera would have a rangefinder mount. It would use F mount lenses with an adapter. Best of both worlds.

This would probably NOT be a high selling camera and the price would probably be very high. Like the short production rangefinder film camera Nikon made a few years back but only for the market in Japan.

bikinchris wrote:

I like the Df just fine, but what I would like to see Nikon make is a digital Nikon S with the ability to use F moiunt lenses. I would prefer an FX sensor, but a DX would be cool also.

-- hide signature --

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,101Gear list
Like?

lost_in_utah wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

No, "and" should be replaced by "a".

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +11 more
lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianric, 7 months ago

brianric wrote:

lost_in_utah wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

No, "and" should be replaced by "a".

If the sound of a word starts with the sound of a vowel, and even if it starts with a consonant, you use "an". For instance, "An FX camera costs more than a DX camera." The "an" is used correctly in that case.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,983Gear list
Like?
That would be the F-mount mirrorless

Nikon will make one eventually, likely FF, since APS-C ML are coming out much smaller and to compete they need a shorter flange distance.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

I would LOVE nikon to make an f-mount ff range finder. A leica m9 is kinda a dream cam for me now, but that price tag cbined with summilux procing makes it about as feasible as a ferrari.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?

lost_in_utah wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Actually, non-native English speakers tend to have better grammar and sentence structure than many English speakers. The difference between an article and a conjunction is quite significant. Of course, spell-check does not catch such errors, so they proliferate. A greater problem might be that the thread title has little to do with the subject matter. I very nearly ignored this thread.

OK, that is enough grammar commentary. On the original subject, the OP seems to be wishing for a mirrorless F-mount camera. Fujifilm is already playing on this field, with the X-series with interchangeable lenses. I know little enough about marketing, so cannot say whether it would be a wise business decision for Nikon to try this concept. The 1-series is mirrorless, with a smaller sensor, that can use F-mount lenses, coupled with an expensive adapter. Would a mirrorless, interchangeable-lens Nikon camera, with a DX or FX sensor, orphan or cripple the 1-series? Nikon seems to be afraid of their systems cannibalizing each other, as it is.

Personally, I am seriously considering the purchase of a Fujifilm X Pro this year, perhaps also acquiring a Novoflex FUX/NIK adapter, but some of the Fuji X lenses are quite appealing. If Nikon offered a well-executed F-mount DX or FX mirrorless, I would have the option of staying within a system I am already using, but being unable to use the Fuji lenses.

I reckon that I might well be interested in an FX or DX mirrorless, but only if well-executed. As the owner of elegantly simple FM3A film bodies, I think the Df was not well-executed.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
user_name
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 7 months ago

I hear you, but the main thing about the M system is the lenses.  This is what makes the whole thing work as eloquently as it does.

The quality of the optics is one thing, but the size of the lenses owe to the fact they are tailored specifically to the M body.  You can't make your F-mount lenses smaller, so even if you made a rangefinder body that took F-mount lenses, the system would always be larger and bulkier.

Also, the M system does not do well with ultrawide angle and telephoto lenses.  That is just the nature of a rangefinder's viewfinder.  It's clunky to use those adapters to get the correct field of view.

Why not do what I did.  Just but a used M8 and one or maybe two M lenses to satisfy.  I find the 1.33 crop factor tolerable and the small 10.3mp sensor size still produces some excellent output due to the lack of an AA filter.

You can buy a new or used Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 M mount lens and a used M8 for less than a Df body (let alone a used M9 body).  You need a B&W UV/IR cut filter for any lens you buy for the M8.

Still a little pricey?  Buy a Voigtlander lens instead.

If it floats your boat, keep it.  If not, flip it and you won't really lose any money.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads