K3: ISO 8000

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,363
Like?
K3: ISO 8000
9 months ago

I went to the Edmonton Motorcycle Show this afternoon to try out the K3 AF in low light.  All the shots I am sharing below were at ISO 8000 (1/325 sec and f3.5 with Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens) with NR set to medium.  I have been going to the annual motorcycle shows and have shot with the K20, K7, K5, K5IIs and now K3.  The AF on the K3 is best of all the models.  ISO 8000 is better than I expected on the K3.

Dale

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
Re: K3: ISO 8000
In reply to Dale108, 9 months ago

Well done, Dale. Assuming the lighting and lens choice were similar for the event, it would be interesting to see a "best of " comparison of the other cameras.

The AF quickness of the K-30 compared to the K20D is almost as significant as the sensor improvement based on my limited experience. I don't shoot much action anymore.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale108
Like?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

Comparing cameras would be tricky unless at same time.

Dale

Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?

Amazing detail and sharpness for ISO 8000.  Color is very good too.  Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Dale108
Like?
In reply to Jim Beverlin, 9 months ago
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,425Gear list
Like?

They look good Dale.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 9 months ago

Dale, the reviewers (and others) who say the noise level of the K-3 above ISO 3200 is "unacceptable" must be DRUNK when they look at the pictures, or something. Personally, I've not shot mine above ISO 1600, as I'm NA (noise adverse)  But although there is a noticeable level of grain in those pictures, it's NOT bothersome at all, and frankly I think they look great!

Considering you were shooting FAST MOTION, INDOORS, at only 1/325th of a second, and still managed to get that kind of quality at ISO 8000, well, I'd like to see MOST other cameras come even CLOSE! Heck, in the last shot you can almost tell what color his one visible eye is!

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,025
Like?

Super shots for ISO 8000. I'd like to see any other £1500 combination of camera + lens do as well.

As I have a K-30 and Tamron 70-200/2.8 that I recently bought mainly for stills not action so have no real experience of its action performance probably until the summer, I wonder how much better the K-3 performs compared to older Pentax DSLRs with this screw drive lens.

Greyser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?

Dale108 wrote:

I went to the Edmonton Motorcycle Show this afternoon to try out the K3 AF in low light. All the shots I am sharing below were at ISO 8000 (1/325 sec and f3.5 with Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens) with NR set to medium. I have been going to the annual motorcycle shows and have shot with the K20, K7, K5, K5IIs and now K3. The AF on the K3 is best of all the models. ISO 8000 is better than I expected on the K3.

very clean, indeed.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Jan Rinze
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greyser, 9 months ago

Greyser wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

I went to the Edmonton Motorcycle Show this afternoon to try out the K3 AF in low light. All the shots I am sharing below were at ISO 8000 (1/325 sec and f3.5 with Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens) with NR set to medium. I have been going to the annual motorcycle shows and have shot with the K20, K7, K5, K5IIs and now K3. The AF on the K3 is best of all the models. ISO 8000 is better than I expected on the K3.

very clean, indeed.

makes me wonder if there is variation in noise levels among different K-3's.

Mine certainly tops at ISO 3200 and that is not as clean as this example!

-- hide signature --
 Jan Rinze's gear list:Jan Rinze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +1 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?

Impressive!

I did not dare to use ISO 8000 with NR set to medium.
But now I will.

Thanks a lot for posting!

cheers
Anton

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jan Rinze, 9 months ago

Jan Rinze wrote:

Greyser wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

very clean, indeed.

makes me wonder if there is variation in noise levels among different K-3's.

Mine certainly tops at ISO 3200 and that is not as clean as this example!

-- hide signature --

Jan I suspect (and this is just AN EDUCATED GUESS) that noise levels at very high ISOs like that can vary widely depending upon both how level the lighting is (although that indoor lighting wasn't particularly BRIGHT, by photography standards, it looks to have been fairly level), and also by how even the background color(s) is/are (much of the background in his shots is either what appears to be gymnasium floor or bleachers).

Again, this is just A GUESS, and coming from someone who's never EVEN SHOT at such a high ISO, but I'm thinking that shots taken at that same ISO outdoors, around dusk, for instance, with complex backgrounds that include leaves and branches and all sorts of various shadows and highlights with varying amounts of dark, light and contrast to them would quite likely show A LOT MORE NOISE and/or be much more difficult to CONTROL for noise.

I could be "all wet" on this, but it just seems a "common sense" sort of reason of at least PART of why his photos look that good at that ISO IF those of others haven't -- especially when we've all seen what can happen with High-ISO noise under complex low-light conditions.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,735
Like?

Well Done!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

andrew britten
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?

And the -0.7 exposure.

So, they are in camera jpegs Dale?

AB

andrew britten's gear list:andrew britten's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 +1 more
13thBagel
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
OK... so...

...the OP can trick the K-3 into to doing what amounts to a high ISO 'wheel-e-e.'

May I ask which image most deserves printing?

Just curious... M

-- hide signature --

Struggling to be a better photographer of bugs, birds and people... each doing its own special thing.

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3
Dale108
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 9 months ago
Dale108
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 9 months ago

Thanks Jeff.  That was the highest ISO that I have shot and was quite surprised.

Dale

Dale108
Like?
In reply to andrew britten, 9 months ago

Hi Andrew:

They were shot in RAW and developed in LR at -0.7 as it was slightly overexposed.

Dale

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads