Want to do a wet sensor clean myself

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,376
Like?
Want to do a wet sensor clean myself
11 months ago

Which wet sensor cleaning kit do you recommend that i can buy from a UK site, preferrably amazon.co.uk? Tired of sending my camera off to nikon as have always done this. Please advise. (d800 full frame kit)
--
facebook https://www.facebook.com/stevenrphotographs
flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverphotographer/
google + https://plus.google.com/u/1/110463150518351139559

Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,514Gear list
Like?
Re: Want to do a wet sensor clean myself
In reply to primeshooter, 11 months ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visible-Dust-Sensor-Loupe-7x/dp/B0017KT21K

I use the loupe (indispensable), pecpads, sensor swabs and eclipse. no more.

regards

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103
Like?

"Help, did I screw up my sensor?" thread:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52937971

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but just be very careful going about it.

I have used the Visible Dust swabs on my D200.  After 2 tries I still had 1 dust spot visible on my images, but I can live with it as it is easily fixed in PP.  Luckily I've managed to dodge the dust bullet with my D700.

Stuart001
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 11 months ago

There is a lot of stuff written about self-cleaning vs not doing it and most of it is mythology. If you are capable with your hands (i.e. not a total klutz) you will be fine if you do your research.

I clean all of my camera sensors when I need to (D90, D700, D800) and have had no problems. The only thing to be aware of is that when you do it, be ready to take an afternoon if necessary. Some will tell you they can clean a camera in 10 minutes, but in my experience that is nonsense. If you do it properly it will take a minimum of an hour but can take much longer, and you may need to do it, and redo it and redo it. It may never be 'perfect' (with no dust at all) but it can be really close.  I started cleaning my own after spending hundreds of dollars at a camera store (the local official Nikon repair place) and it coming back almost as bad as it went in.

I have tried the really expensive ready-prepared cleaning wands, but the best seems to be the stuff from Copperhill. They have a number of kits available and some excellent videos, and for the cost of 2 camera store cleans you can set yourself up for a couple of years.

Remember that you are NOT cleaning the sensor but a filter that sits on top of the sensor. Even those cameras without the AA filter (like the D800e) still have a filter in front of the sensor.

Stuart001's gear list:Stuart001's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +9 more
dpreviewprov
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?

Watch the video here:

www.visibledust.com

and then click "video" on top of the page.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,999
Like?

primeshooter wrote:

Which wet sensor cleaning kit do you recommend that i can buy from a UK site, preferrably amazon.co.uk? Tired of sending my camera off to nikon as have always done this. Please advise. (d800 full frame kit)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52938473

IMO, Visible Dust products are over-priced. If you cannot get Copper Hill Images products in the UK, consider getting one or more generic swabs, a pack of PEC PADs (Peter Piper picked a pack of PEC PADs...) to replace the pads on the swab, a bottle of Eclipse liquid, and a Nylon cosmetic brush.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Want to do a wet sensor clean myself Question.... Robin et al
In reply to Robin Casady, 11 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52938473

IMO, Visible Dust products are over-priced. If you cannot get Copper Hill Images products in the UK, consider getting one or more generic swabs, a pack of PEC PADs (Peter Piper picked a pack of PEC PADs...) to replace the pads on the swab, a bottle of Eclipse liquid, and a Nylon cosmetic brush.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Hi Robin,

Seems quite a current topic.

A question, I remember seeing (thought it was on Rob Galbraith's site, but cannot find the reference on his right now, but found on another site), a method to substitute a mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and Windex or water, on the site I have found it is stated as a mixture with Windex.

Have you or anyone you know used this to good effect (with Pec Pads instead of Eclipse)?

Cheers

See the bottom of the page here: quote ''Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.''

at www:

cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

As I said, I came across this elsewhere as well.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,999
Like?
Re: Want to do a wet sensor clean myself Question.... Robin et al
In reply to Bajerunner, 11 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

Hi Robin,

Seems quite a current topic.

A question, I remember seeing (thought it was on Rob Galbraith's site, but cannot find the reference on his right now, but found on another site), a method to substitute a mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and Windex or water, on the site I have found it is stated as a mixture with Windex.

Have you or anyone you know used this to good effect (with Pec Pads instead of Eclipse)?

I've only used Eclipse. I've heard of people using medical grade methanol. Supposedly, that is what Nikon Japan uses. Methanol is an ingredient in Eclipse, and may be the only ingredient.

A bottle of Eclipse will last a long time. I see no reason to mess with making your own.

Most Windex cleaners contain ammonia. I would NEVER use that in a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,664Gear list
Like?

It happens that my local store carries the Visible Dust swabs for an outrageous (5 x street!) price.

Next time, I'll order on amazon (also in the UK Amazon )

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +12 more
Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,595Gear list
Like?

Greetings!

I am using, for years now, for my NIKON SLRs - Sensor Swabs and Ecclipse fluid.

kind regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
dswinsor
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael S., 11 months ago

I have orered this:

http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Anyone have any experience?

There is a video showing a technician using at on the Leica assembly line.

dswinsor's gear list:dswinsor's gear list
Nikon D800
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?

Robin Casady wrote:

Robin,

Good advice Robin, as usual. Copperhill ships several cleaning kits internationally, here is one:

Copper hill kit

Only one time have I left a streak with Eclipse, I just used a dry Quikstrip very gently and it cleaned it right up. I believe I didn't wait long enough after applying the fluid before swabbing, they say to give it 15 to 20 seconds.

BTW, you get 100 strips in each kit which should last a couple of years, darn good value compared to V-Swabs.

Good luck,

Stan

Ansel Spear
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raul, 11 months ago

Agreed. I've cleaned sensors many times since the D70 days using this method.

I haven't once wished that I hadn't cleaned it myself. After all, I don't send my lenses away to get cleaned, why on earth should I do so with my camera

Ansel Spear's gear list:Ansel Spear's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +13 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189Gear list
Like?

I started with Sensor Swabs and Eclipse when I bought my new D1.  I have never had a problem, although I did initially use too much fluid and too many swabs.  Just a learning curve.

I don't know for sure if they are available on UK sites, but I suspect that they are.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,313
Like?
sensor gel stick

I use a blower, a brush, and sensor gel stick, like http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Basically the process is much like http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor though I do not use rotating brushes, a normal Copperhill brush is quite enough for me. If there is something really nasty you can either use sensor pen, as in the video, or - and I prefer it - wet method with eclipse and swabs. Gel stick will pick up any residue from eclipse overdose if you happen to have it.

-- hide signature --
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raul, 11 months ago

I cleaned my D800 yesterday in about 5 to 10 minutes using exactly what Raul recommended.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D300S +40 more
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?

Just a quick point.  If you decide to use a nylon brush from the cosmetic counter, be sure to wash it thoroughly (like 4 or 5 times) in mild detergent and then let it dry completely.  When sold, they are covered with a fine powder that apparently helps with cosmetics but makes a mess of a sensor.

But Robin is correct.  It's the same brush that Visible Dust charges a bunch of money for.

(Source is a Digital Lloyd article from something like 2008 where he took pictures of dust coming off a new cosmetic brush - fairly convincing evidence, anyway it's easy to do.)

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
mactac
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 11 months ago

PenPix wrote:

"Help, did I screw up my sensor?" thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52937971

I have used the Visible Dust swabs on my D200. After 2 tries I still had 1 dust spot visible on my images, but I can live with it as it is easily fixed in PP. Luckily I've managed to dodge the dust bullet with my D700.

I was the person who started this thread.  I will never buy visible dust products again - they left a film on my sensor that just wouldn't go away, no matter how much wiping, scraping and rubbing I did (I'm exaggerating a bit here!).  It almost looked like scratches (the reason I started the thread)

The very first wipe from a competing product got rid of the film.

After all of that, I'm won't have any problems cleaning my own sensor (using the right product), and will continue to do so.

I did find cleaning it somewhat frustrating though, as it seems like a pretty imperfect solution (no pun intended):  With each clean, it seemed like it got rid of some dust, but added other dust.  I took 7 wipes (actually, 14 if you count one way then the other) to get rid of 95% of the dust (I still have a bit).

mactac's gear list:mactac's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?
 Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Apple Aperture +3 more
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to mactac, 11 months ago

mactac wrote:

PenPix wrote:

"Help, did I screw up my sensor?" thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52937971

I have used the Visible Dust swabs on my D200. After 2 tries I still had 1 dust spot visible on my images, but I can live with it as it is easily fixed in PP. Luckily I've managed to dodge the dust bullet with my D700.

I was the person who started this thread. I will never buy visible dust products again - they left a film on my sensor that just wouldn't go away, no matter how much wiping, scraping and rubbing I did (I'm exaggerating a bit here!). It almost looked like scratches (the reason I started the thread)

The very first wipe from a competing product got rid of the film.

After all of that, I'm won't have any problems cleaning my own sensor (using the right product), and will continue to do so.

I did find cleaning it somewhat frustrating though, as it seems like a pretty imperfect solution (no pun intended): With each clean, it seemed like it got rid of some dust, but added other dust. I took 7 wipes (actually, 14 if you count one way then the other) to get rid of 95% of the dust (I still have a bit).

Are you using a rocket blower and a charged brush?  That should remove any residual dust.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Apple Aperture +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads