So how much lens can you get for $12? Or fun with 200mm

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Kendunn
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
So how much lens can you get for $12? Or fun with 200mm
6 months ago

I have always heard what great lenses the older Nikon manual focus f4(.5) 80-200's were.  Made Ken Rockwells top Nikon lens page.  I have an AF 80-200 2.8, but its heavy of course and overkill for landscapes and being the type of guy who for some reason loves to use odd ball lenses adapted to cameras I thought why not get one of the MF for hiking, this would be a piece of cake.  Saw a few on Ebay that were cheap enough I guess, the much desirable "n" (again according to KR) fetched a pretty fair price, $150 or so, but I figured there wouldn't be much difference.

I then hopped over to KEH, I saw one engraved for a mere $12.  I figured it wasn't the "n" but that was OK.  Well, today it came in and guess what?  Black mask, SCORE!  Anyways, the lens was in fine usable shape, the engraving was from the USAF, which I thought was pretty cool.  Probably just used for some local paper or something, but I like to think it was used at Area 51 when they were doing an alien autopsy.

So of course I have to try this baby out.  Not a lot going on, but I head up on the mountain across from my house with a heavy tripod, a D600, the 4.5, 2.8, and a Mamiya 645 200 2.8 APO and adapter.  Did I say I like odd combos?  This lens is sharp sharp sharp and wonderful color.  Below are samples and 100% crops with only exposure adjustments.  Very happy for $12, and all 3 were excellent even wide open.

Mamiya 200 2.8 @ 2.8 full image

NIkon 80-200 2.8 @ 2.8 200mm

Nikon 2.8 crop

Nikon 80-200 4.5 @ 4.5 200mm full

Nikon 80-200 4.5

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Re: So how much lens can you get for $12? Or fun with 200mm
In reply to Kendunn, 6 months ago

I had a similar experience with a $16 Canon FD 70-210/4 - still pretty stunned that I got so much lens for under $20.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to areichow, 6 months ago

areichow wrote:

I had a similar experience with a $16 Canon FD 70-210/4 - still pretty stunned that I got so much lens for under $20.

Yes, same here. Nikon 135 2.8, 105 2.5, fixed Nikon 200 etc. There are some great lenses from the past. If you know their strengths and weaknesses, you can get great images from them that are not lower in quality to today's lenses.

Jacobite
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?

$12!  What a bargain, you can pay nearly that much for a monthly magazine over here in the UK!

Jacobite's gear list:Jacobite's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +4 more
Kendunn
Like?
In reply to Jacobite, 6 months ago

Jacobite wrote:

$12! What a bargain, you can pay nearly that much for a monthly magazine over here in the UK!

Yeah, I know.  I kept thinking about what else cost $12 or more.....comical.  Cheap UV filter for it? Or 1/10th of the state sales tax on a new 80-200 2.8 VR?  Couple of sugary coffee drinks from Starbucks?

Kendunn
Like?

Pull up the original image and you can tell the prime takes the prize, but it was a very expensive prime and for a 645

sixtiesphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

SCORE! is correct. What a great bargain. I'd seen those lenses before, but didn't realize how good they were. Guess I've been conditioned to think of zooms as producing poor quality images.

Not in this case.
--
"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." - Edward Weston

sixtiesphotographer's gear list:sixtiesphotographer's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads