recommend a wide zoom for d600

Started 7 months ago | Questions
mikeysaling
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
recommend a wide zoom for d600
7 months ago

To be also used on d7100 but mainly 600 need a sharp wide zoom for artitectural and landscape.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: recommend a wide zoom for d600
In reply to mikeysaling, 7 months ago

mikeysaling wrote:

To be also used on d7100 but mainly 600 need a sharp wide zoom for artitectural and landscape.

Obvious choice: 14-24mm f/2.8. To some people that lens is probably the main reason to have Nikon instead of Canon.

There are other options as well, but none that appeals to me. If size and weight is an issue, you may want to consider some prime instead.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to mlewan, 7 months ago

mlewan wrote:

mikeysaling wrote:

Obvious choice: 14-24mm f/2.8. To some people that lens is probably the main reason to have Nikon instead of Canon.

There are other options as well, but none that appeals to me. If size and weight is an issue, you may want to consider some prime instead.

mlewan is 100% correct, hands down the 14-24 f2.8 is the lens to get if you want a sharp wide zoom.

If you cant afford it right now save and wait its worth it!!!

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to AEPA, 7 months ago

The 18-35mm G represents good value - not as sharp as the 14-24mm but a fraction of the price.

sd40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?

Here we go again.

Start by reading other recent threads on this topic and you will find that it is by no means obvious that the 14-24 is the best choice to meet your needs, starting with the fact that it does not accept screw-in filters.

The 16-35 has many satisfied users (including me), and the 17-35 and 18-35 have their advocates as well.  And that's just the Nikkor options.

It pays to read the previous threads.

mikeysaling
Like?
In reply to sd40, 7 months ago

Hi SD40 - did try to locate similar but couldn't find anything - sorry to have inconvenienced you but many thanks to the useful responses.

sd40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?

I'm not inconvenienced. I would like to see you derive the full benefit of the knowledge around here.

This thread, for instance--current, right now:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3609264

mikeysaling
Like?
In reply to sd40, 7 months ago

Hi - thanks for that link - seems a bit plus and minus on the 16-35 but having checked a couple of reviews i'm warming to it . I have a tokina 11-16 which I am very disappointed with - seems very unsharp and suffers CA . cannot get it sharp on distant objects or even close objects (tree branches are always a bit blurred) the 16-35 Nikon looks good from the results I have seen - more comment please.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
Nikkor 14-24mm
In reply to mlewan, 7 months ago

+1

Architecture and landscape are what this thing excels at.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?

16-35 has issues at either extreme of the zoom range.

At 16mm it is distortion.

At 35mm it is going soft.

You also have a penalty of f4.  While you may stop down to f8 or more, your camera opens up the aperture as wide as it gets to focus.

For the 14-24mm that is f/2.8.  For the 16-35mm that is only f/4, which the VR can not fix.

The 14-28 does have an issue with focus shift between f/2.8 and about f/5.6, but sharp across the corners at almost any zoom range and very low distortion.

As said before, everything has its price, so you really need to understand all of the limitations of each lens and what it is good at.  You also need to know what it is you really need.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
mikeysaling
Like?
In reply to user_name, 7 months ago

Thanks for that review - what i'm after is something competent for building exterior/interior and some landscape. sharp is a must .-.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads