Shadow detail recovery and High ISO use with K3

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
donla
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Shadow detail recovery and High ISO use with K3
6 months ago

My K5 bit the dust just before Christmas, prompting me to buy the K3. Wildlife photography is a genre that has always attracted me so I wondered if it would do as good a job as the K5 given the higher pixel density, and associated narrower dynamic range as measured by Amateur Photographer magazine. Other reviewers have reported an increase in digital noise at higher ISO.

The attached photos exemplify how much shadow detail can be recovered at ISO400. The New Zealand Bellbird was photographed from too far off. I live in a built up area and the birds are very cautious meaning I had to shoot from outside my back door rather at 10 metres distance rather than closing to within  5 metres which the small size of this species would need for a suitable size image to be captured. The bird's face was in deep shadow as shown in the uncropped image:

Sigma 170-500mm lens @ 500mm ISO400 1/800 f 7.1 full image frame shown.

Cropping and lightening the face in Photoshop - to about 3 EV steps gave the following image:

This Bellbird is not the most attractive I've seen. Probably an older bird. Image data as for previous image.

The next two images were taken at Zealandia -a predator proof fenced Eco-Sanctuary just outside New Zealand's capital city of Wellington. Rare and endangered bird species are being bred here. The Native Stitchbird (Hihi) is a nectar feeder alike the Bellbird. It moves very quickly in and out of the feeders the sanctuary provides. Lighting is low due to an extensive forest canopy, necessitating an ISO of 6400 to obtain anything like a suitable shutter speed. 1/200 f6.7 was the best compromise without raising the ISO to above 6400. Results were reasonably sharp and detailed:

Hihi ISO 400 500mm 1/200 f 6.7

Finally, again under a dense canopy the North Island Robin was photographed at 6400. The feather detail is very acceptable:

North Island Robin ISO 6400 400mm 1/125 f 6.7

The Zealandia shots while not perfect were good enough for their PR person to email me after seeing them up on flickr and request permission to use them on their website.

I feel confident that I can successfully use the K3 for forest and other low-light situations requiring as high ISO. The ability to recover shadow detail is a bonus for stronger lighting where shadows may be an issue. For these images the camera's noise reduction was left at Auto and when processing in Pentax software, the default settings for noise reduction were used.

A small amount of USM - 50% @ 1.5 pixels was used later to counteract any softening resulting from the noise reduction.

donla's gear list:donla's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +2 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
donla
Like?
Re: Shadow detail recovery and High ISO use with K3
In reply to donla, 6 months ago

My apologies, the caption for the Hihi - image #3 should read 6400 ISO not 400.

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,172Gear list
Like?

Shots look good donla, is that the New Zealand Flax flower in the first?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

That first one is very impressive, well done. 500mm at the long end of a zoom, ISO 400 cropped to that extent, and the eye is clear. Definitely a vote for pixel density and the K-3 here.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Broken Hill
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, 6 months ago

Hi Donia,

Great Shots! Nothing wrong with the K3 then!

Thanks

Broken Hill

Broken Hill's gear list:Broken Hill's gear list
Pentax K-3
donla
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 6 months ago

ozdean wrote:

Shots look good donla, is that the New Zealand Flax flower in the first?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

Hi Dean, yes it is the new Zealand flax. Our Nectar feeders such as the Tui and Bellbird are great fans of it.

OPTMEKX7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427Gear list
Like?

For 6400 ISO, the detail is fantastic, nice shots by the way.

cheers,

Rene

OPTMEKX7's gear list:OPTMEKX7's gear list
Pentax Optio 33LF Pentax Optio A40 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 IIs +1 more
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?

donla wrote:

My K5 bit the dust just before Christmas, prompting me to buy the K3. Wildlife photography is a genre that has always attracted me so I wondered if it would do as good a job as the K5 given the higher pixel density, and associated narrower dynamic range as measured by Amateur Photographer magazine. Other reviewers have reported an increase in digital noise at higher ISO.

The attached photos exemplify how much shadow detail can be recovered at ISO400. The New Zealand Bellbird was photographed from too far off. I live in a built up area and the birds are very cautious meaning I had to shoot from outside my back door rather at 10 metres distance rather than closing to within 5 metres which the small size of this species would need for a suitable size image to be captured. The bird's face was in deep shadow as shown in the uncropped image:

Sigma 170-500mm lens @ 500mm ISO400 1/800 f 7.1 full image frame shown.

Cropping and lightening the face in Photoshop - to about 3 EV steps gave the following image:

This Bellbird is not the most attractive I've seen. Probably an older bird. Image data as for previous image.

The next two images were taken at Zealandia -a predator proof fenced Eco-Sanctuary just outside New Zealand's capital city of Wellington. Rare and endangered bird species are being bred here. The Native Stitchbird (Hihi) is a nectar feeder alike the Bellbird. It moves very quickly in and out of the feeders the sanctuary provides. Lighting is low due to an extensive forest canopy, necessitating an ISO of 6400 to obtain anything like a suitable shutter speed. 1/200 f6.7 was the best compromise without raising the ISO to above 6400. Results were reasonably sharp and detailed:

Hihi ISO 400 500mm 1/200 f 6.7

Finally, again under a dense canopy the North Island Robin was photographed at 6400. The feather detail is very acceptable:

North Island Robin ISO 6400 400mm 1/125 f 6.7

The Zealandia shots while not perfect were good enough for their PR person to email me after seeing them up on flickr and request permission to use them on their website.

I feel confident that I can successfully use the K3 for forest and other low-light situations requiring as high ISO. The ability to recover shadow detail is a bonus for stronger lighting where shadows may be an issue. For these images the camera's noise reduction was left at Auto and when processing in Pentax software, the default settings for noise reduction were used.

A small amount of USM - 50% @ 1.5 pixels was used later to counteract any softening resulting from the noise reduction.

great shots, and as you have discovered and show the so called "narrow" dr is a non issue

-- hide signature --
donla
Like?
In reply to OPTMEKX7, 6 months ago

OPTMEKX7 wrote:

For 6400 ISO, the detail is fantastic, nice shots by the way.

cheers,

Rene

Thanks for the comment Rene, yes, I too was very pleasantly surprised by the IQ at 6400.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads