Like?
Is SLT dead or alive ?
8 months ago
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,396Gear list
Like?
Re: Is SLT dead or alive ?
In reply to phototherapy, 8 months ago

It could be similar to how the on sensor PDAF on the A99 works, which is used as an assist to the main PDAF sensor when using settings such as AF-D.

If so, it would be nice if they managed to improve upon it further where it wasn't lens specific limited.  It would also be nice if could be used as an always on, 2-step focus confirmation for quicker, more accurate focus lock-ons (ie, a step beyond MFA) when used in conjunction with the dedicated PDAF sensor.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Dead or alive? The answer to that is 'maybe'.

One rumour says the A77 successor will have on-sensor PDAF, another says the SLT mirror is being improved to reduce light loss.  These may be contradicting, or they may not. Or maybe it's the nature of rumour websites that they have to generate traffic to bring in advertising revenue, so accuracy is not necessarily the first priority.

In my view the important thing is that these are rumours and therefore totally worth ignoring.

DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
flip-up mirror would be awesome

Mirror down when you need real pdaf and mirror up when you want more light!

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,819Gear list
Like?
Re: Neither, its an undead!!! /nt
No text.
 nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

I'm not an Autofocus elitist - so nearly imperceptible differences in AF "speed" are meaningless to me. For this reason, I'd be more than happy to trade in a millisecond or two on the AF side to have a great Sony A mount camera without the stupid SLT mirror.

I also like the accuracy better with cameras like the A7 and A7r - none of this shift error with fast lenses.

-B

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +17 more
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Is "DSLR" slamming mirror Dead/Alive? (NT)
 Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +1 more
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?

SLT has been dying since it first hit the market.

Never was intended to live forever.

Just a matter of time.

I'm happy with my two SLT's. But I guess I will be happier with whatever Sony comes up with to replace them.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 8 months ago

Well, I switched my A57 on today, and behold! upon pressing the shutter button I felt a heartbeat... The sensor was given light... an image was formed... and life was fixed in a tangible form... proof of it couldn't be overseen...

All philosophy aside, the A99 already has PDAF on sensor (Dual AF), and from what I'm seeing, OSPDAF only has nowhere near the capability of dedicated PDAF. In the A99, it cleverly assist PDAF and provide depth information to the AF system.

I don't care what technology is dead or alive, only if it works, and provide the convenience I'm accustomed to nowadays. It seems the A77 successor also gets OSPDAF, which may be a good sign, if only the AF point spread could be a little bit wider...

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,823Gear list
Like?

That is not good news if true because with the A7 the on sensor PDAF is significantly inferior to the AF of the SLTs. For me fast AF is much more important than gaining a measly 1/2 stop of light.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?
Probably NOT!!

I think the same site told us the new cameras would have an SLT with 80% light transmission vs the current 70%?  And if you read this.. its about hits.. the actual rumor is a YAWWWN

Breaking News "New camera will have same technology in older cameras like A99 and A7"

The patent is filed. For a mirror-less DSLR format camera. does not mean it is ready to be a product.

SONY as of yet has not made the onsensor PD focus as good as the SLT

HOWEVER  the A99 already has this feature of hybrid focus.. so it isn't even really a rumor that the A77 replacement would probably have it.

SO NO  not DEAD until Sony can do a full a-mount that can AF as fast as the A77.

phototherapy wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-a77-successor-has-on-sensor-pdaf/

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
tbcass
Like?

LeicaBOSS wrote:

I'm not an Autofocus elitist - so nearly imperceptible differences in AF "speed" are meaningless to me. For this reason, I'd be more than happy to trade in a millisecond or two on the AF side to have a great Sony A mount camera without the stupid SLT mirror.

I also like the accuracy better with cameras like the A7 and A7r - none of this shift error with fast lenses.

The difference in AF speed is much more than a millisecond or two. It's big enough that it can make or break getting an in focus shot for sports or children playing. In low light the speed difference is quite obvious. The focusing accuracy with my 35mm f1.8 wide open is very good with both my A65 and A77. All in all my experience tells me you are incorrect on every one of your points. IMO the SLT is great and the 1/2 stop of light loss is insignificant and below iso 1600 has no effect on IQ.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
LeicaBOSS
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 8 months ago

...but you haven't missed those shots with an A7 or A7r, for example?  Or a NEX-7? Right?

I've shot birds in flight with a Canon EOS-M, baseball and indoor dodgeball with a NEX-7, fast-paced street with an A7r. Never had significant miss rates with any of these. I also have an A77. I like it, too - but I'd be crazy to say that one should get significantly more shots in focus with it.

Just even a tiny bit of skill and technique, and nobody should be missing shots with any of these.

So, I'd hate to put it this way, but if you really can't nail nearly all of your shots with on-chip PDAF - as good as it is now - take the 1/2 stop and just practice just a little harder.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +17 more
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?

LeicaBOSS wrote:

...but you haven't missed those shots with an A7 or A7r, for example? Or a NEX-7? Right?

I've shot birds in flight with a Canon EOS-M, baseball and indoor dodgeball with a NEX-7, fast-paced street with an A7r. Never had significant miss rates with any of these. I also have an A77. I like it, too - but I'd be crazy to say that one should get significantly more shots in focus with it.

Just even a tiny bit of skill and technique, and nobody should be missing shots with any of these.

So, I'd hate to put it this way, but if you really can't nail nearly all of your shots with on-chip PDAF - as good as it is now - take the 1/2 stop and just practice just a little harder.

-- hide signature --

There are lots of techniques for shooting even manual focus.. So because some are able to get all their shots in manual.. Sony should just move to manual focus for all?  since it works mostly for some?

E-mount is about size... Focus will get better.. IBIS will not come anytime soon if ever because the size increase

SLT is about AF performance.. and IBIS easy control layouts.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926Gear list
Like?

Well, it doesn't move on my one year old A99, so it's hard to say if it's alive...! Anyway, it seems to work very well without any slapping noise or vibration and the so-called "light loss" is so negligible that It never bothered me. Can I live without it? Sure, when Sony comes up with an on-sensor PDAF design performing at least as well as the SLT design does ( please Sony, never go back to stone-age slapping mirror and OVF...)

... Lucas

Always having fun with photography
http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 +36 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

tbcass wrote:

LeicaBOSS wrote:

The difference in AF speed is much more than a millisecond or two. It's big enough that it can make or break getting an in focus shot for sports or children playing.

My a55 focuses almost instantly, I can't imagine wanting something that focuses faster. And I love the "stupid" SLT mirror.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

kartikjayaraman
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?

tbcass wrote:

The difference in AF speed is much more than a millisecond or two. It's big enough that it can make or break getting an in focus shot for sports or children playing. In low light the speed difference is quite obvious. The focusing accuracy with my 35mm f1.8 wide open is very good with both my A65 and A77. All in all my experience tells me you are incorrect on every one of your points. IMO the SLT is great and the 1/2 stop of light loss is insignificant and below iso 1600 has no effect on IQ.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

I was guessing this was going to happen. I think the reason is Sony is selling far more mirrorless cameras and users want image quality over other things. Now its not like the mirrorless camera AF is bad, its just slow as you mentioned so Sony might provide an SLT adapter for sports/action photography (like they do for the A7 which adds the SLT and PDAF)...and that should make both kinds of customers happy. Of course I don't know how they will do a A to A mount SLT addition...that would be interesting.

-- hide signature --
 kartikjayaraman's gear list:kartikjayaraman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Only Sony knows for sure. n/t
-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

LeicaBOSS
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, 8 months ago

I have an A77 as well. I like it, and understand your A65 is just as good - but the SLT is kind of a stop-gap. They needed to do something different (because they were getting destroyed by everyone else) and the market rewarded the SLT with a tiny 1-3% market share.

It's the SLT mirror, dude - most people don't trust it. They don't like it. It's got to go!

And it will go as soon as they fine tune the on-chip AF.

-B

-- hide signature --

tbcass
Like?

LeicaBOSS wrote:

...but you haven't missed those shots with an A7 or A7r, for example? Or a NEX-7? Right?

Every single review I've read and the user reports say that the A7 autofocus is on the slow side. It may be accurate but what good is accuracy if it is too slow to acquire focus in the first place. I have tried out a NEX7 and found it's AF too slow for Soccer and Basketball.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads