Which PEN for wife? And small lens...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Which PEN for wife? And small lens...
9 months ago

I've decided to keep my E-M5, a choice made easier once I sold two OM lenses to pay for it.

Now I'm eyeing the E-PM2 2 lens kit at $399 for my wife - since I am buying the 40-150 for $119, this effectively gets the E-PM2 price with 14-42 down to $280.

I'm just not sure if this is the right PEN model - the E-PL5 is $100 more with just the 14-42, and the flip LCD would be nice for her. Both lack a built in flash, but I am hoping the high ISO performance will make up for this mostly.

To really be pocketable, either PEN will need a smaller lens, either at 17 or 20mm, or the rumoured ultra small zoom coming from Oly.

The camera this will replace is a stylus U-5010, which is much smaller still, and has been a great camera, but is starting to miss focus frequently. I am hoping a PEN + tiny lens will be a good replacement.

http://www.dpreview.com/search/?query=5010&product=oly_stylus5010

I'd love to hear feedback from other MFT users familiar with these models.

Thanks

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,818Gear list
Like?
Depends what your wife wants
In reply to zuikowesty, 9 months ago

If really small is the aim, you can't beat the Panny GM1 -- I've just bought one and it is magic.

What pockets does your wife have for an E-PM2? In my experience, it is marginal in erms of pockets. The E-PL5 with the tilting screen is a step up, but it is also that bit heavier and thicker that makes pockets and even a lot of handbags pretty much out of the question. (I did E-PM1 > E-PL3.)

Lens? You are taking fixed focal length when she is accustomed to a zoom. Does she actually want that? Does she want to be changing lenses? Or are you rationalizing all this so you can get the longer zoom cheap? (I've done exactly that kind of thing one of twice myself, too! :))

If she is happy with the Stylus, perhaps another Stylus is really the answer -- for her, and buying the zoom you want at full price is really the answer for you.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zuikowesty
Like?
Re: Depends what your wife wants
In reply to Hen3ry, 9 months ago

Damn! You saw right through my plan!

Truth is that I wouldn't mind having the 14-42 also, as I still find the 12-50 soft at the long end, and I am used to that lens on my 410. 12mm vs 14mm isn't a big deal - I really want the 9-18 for wide angle.

The Stylus is due for replacement - it has been around the world a few times, and spent countless miles in my pocket, so it's getting tired. If I could get something she can fit in her purse, and get the quality of the new sensor, it would be a big bonus. Many shots from the Stylus have been lost due to poor focus or low light. On the other hand, it has also taken shots good enough for book covers and enlargements.

I just wish they had managed a flash in the E-PM2, and a more compact zoom. The lack of dials is no big deal, she won't need them, and I can navigate those menus in my sleep now. (one reason for stocking withe Oly, but I have yet to try the Pany.)

I will check out the GM-1 also.

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?

Olympus XZ-2

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
zuikowesty
Like?

I want this new 14-42 compact zoom!

http://www.43rumors.com/

On another note, I really haven't followed the PEN family much. When do you think a new PEN might be announced? (hopefully with the above lens)

-- hide signature --
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,933Gear list
Like?
Re: Which PEN for wife? And small lens...

I bought the PM2 two-lens kit primarily for my wife, since I was getting the EM-1. She likes it a lot, but I think I shoot with it more.

It is pocketable in a roomy jacket pocket with the kit lens. Or, you can stick it in a shirt pocket with the body cap lens on. Still, I like the feel of it with a chunky lens on it, like the 75 or 12-40.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
If it's possible

I'd get the new E-M10. It won't be much larger than the PENs and it will have built in VF and flash. Add the new small zoom and you have a small but very capable package. I have a couple of PENs but I rarely use them because the E-M5 isn't much larger but it's more capable. The E-M10 just seems to make the calculus less favorable to the PENs.

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,174
Like?

I bought the EPM2 for my wife, and while it works, I don't thinkĀ  it's ideal for her (works well for me as a small social camera, but I understand the menu). If I had to do it over again I'd get her a fixed lens like the Sony RX100. If she were more into cameras, I'd get her one with better external controls. And of course there's always the possibility of upgrading her phone to the Iphone 5S. I just saw a 5 foot pano print from one that was very good.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,933Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, 9 months ago

jkrumm wrote:

there's always the possibility of upgrading her phone to the Iphone 5S.

If you really want a smartphone for its other capabilities, fine. Otherwise, you're getting an 8mp camera with a $1,200 a year subscription.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?
She may want a PINK camera!

It was previously mentioned by someone else but do you know what SHE wants?

Does she want small as possible? And how small is small enough?

Does she want a in-built flash?

Does she want a zoom or a prime?

Cute or functional?

What color? White? Black? Pink? Red?

Okay with grip or no grip?

Does she actually have a want or need for an interchangeable camera?

Is she actually into photography or does she just want to point and shoot?

All these are important and is not something you nor any of us can decide for her. This may seem harsh but this really has nothing to do with you. Whether or not you find the menus intuitive or not has not bearings as it's her likes or dislikes of menu/ergonomics that counts.

For all we know she just wants another compact camera in which case something like the tiny Canon S120 or Panasonic LF1 is more to her liking. If she wants a prime lens camera at 28mm, the Ricoh GR may fit the bill (or the Nikon). If 35mm, there is the Fujifilm X100s. She may hate the Oly menus/ergonomics...she may hate the Panasonic menu/ergonomics...

Heck, she may just want a small PINK camera..in which case a Nikon 1 system may fit the bill.

As it currently stands, we don't have enough info to really give you any REAL advise.

First ask your wife THEN come back for advise from us when you are armed with some relevant info.

Not trying to be harsh, just the reality. As for MY wife, she wants either pocketable or a DSLR with no interest at all for mirrorless, or any prime only camera. Currently she's wanting the Nikon Df, though she is resigned to the fact that would never happen, and frankly is really happy with her Pentax K-5. Oly E-PMx? (or most Oly's except the E-M1), finds them ugly. Everyone's different.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,511Gear list
Like?

Forget the Pens.

Panny GM1 was targeted for female shooters.  Fits in the purse.

Why not bring her to the camera store and let her decide?

Good luck.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
zuikowesty
Like?
In reply to KTClown, 9 months ago

KTClown wrote:

Olympus XZ-2

It looks nice, more compact, and a flash, about the same price. I will see if I can find one to try.

Thanks.

Shawn Wright
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuikowesty/

zuikowesty
Like?
Re: If it's possible
In reply to DonSC, 9 months ago

DonSC wrote:

I'd get the new E-M10. It won't be much larger than the PENs and it will have built in VF and flash. Add the new small zoom and you have a small but very capable package. I have a couple of PENs but I rarely use them because the E-M5 isn't much larger but it's more capable. The E-M10 just seems to make the calculus less favorable to the PENs.

I was actually thinking of returning my E-M5 and waiting for the M10, since it appears the deal I got on the M5 will soon be the standard price. But I am liking it more, and I only have one day left to return it...

The photos leaked today of the M10 don't look that much smaller than the M5 - I wish I could see the top plate and back though. I think the M10 would be too much for her coming from the Stylus. Off to check some PENs out shortly...

-- hide signature --
zuikowesty
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 9 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Forget the Pens.

Panny GM1 was targeted for female shooters. Fits in the purse.

Why not bring her to the camera store and let her decide?

Good luck.

That's what I'm doing in a few minutes...

-- hide signature --
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
Re: Which PEN for wife?

Hmmm, which PEN for wife? I think that depends on the wife.

My wife is a pretty good cook, a real dynamo around the house, still fits in her wedding dress after 38 years, and is cute as a bug with a great sense of humor.

I don't think I'd trade my wife for anything less than an E-M1.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Brent

Florida45
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 9 months ago

For travel my wife packs a GF3 with Lumix 14 and is very happy with it...

Al

daqk
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Re: She may want a PINK camera!
In reply to peppermonkey, 9 months ago

Agreed, you need follow what she likes rather on what you assume she would like, usually it never works to your assumes

However, I have EPM2 with Pana PZ14-42 works wonders, never seen shutter shake problem (I bought GF3 with PZ recently and sold GF3 with Oly's 14-42II zoom). I dislike 14-42 foldable and 45-150 feels way cheap and stiff, that was me. New EPM2 firmware can be set to automatically switch to OOS instead of cheap IBIS, and the POWER OOS of the PZ lens is couple blocks better than EPM2's 2 axis IBIS, yes, I tested several times. I also tried EPL5 since I saw a deal with free 45-150mm lens, but returned them same day to store, it felt too heavy, bigger (when in hand). Then I got myself Pana's 45-200mm ... OK lens with OOS.

I tried GM1, it felt slippery with no grip, just like when I held GF2 or EPM1. But it is small.

zuikowesty
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 9 months ago

brentbrent wrote:

Hmmm, which PEN for wife? I think that depends on the wife.

My wife is a pretty good cook, a real dynamo around the house, still fits in her wedding dress after 38 years, and is cute as a bug with a great sense of humor.

I don't think I'd trade my wife for anything less than an E-M1.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Brent

Mine is also a good cook, although I do most of the cooking because I love it. And she still fits in her wedding dress after 23 years... and she likes the E-PM2! (although would prefer a smaller lens - I promised the new Oly when it comes out.)

Sounds like we are both lucky!

-- hide signature --
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?

Oh, man, I am so lucky!  I don't know what she was thinking!

-- hide signature --

Brent

zuikowesty
Like?
She likes the E-PM2
In reply to Hen3ry, 9 months ago

She liked it, after I showed her how to use it (30 second intro), and then put the Pany 12-32 on it to show her what it will be like with a small lens. At $300 more, the GM1 is too much, although I think it's shameful that Oly doesn't put a flash in all the Pen models if Pany can fit it in the GM1. Also tried the E-PL5, but neither of us liked it much.

We're going to give the E-PM2 a try. At $399 with two lenses, it's a good buy, and we can always try something else.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads