D5300 Butterflies and Birds- Magic Wings Deerfield, MA.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jerry
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
D5300 Butterflies and Birds- Magic Wings Deerfield, MA.
9 months ago

Took these the other day. Thought they came out really decent.

Lenses used:

Nikon 35mm 1.8

Nikon 18-140mm

Tamron 18-270mm

Full size available at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14879853@N00/11994539486/lightbox/

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Re: D5300 Butterflies and Birds- Magic Wings Deerfield, MA.
In reply to Jerry, 9 months ago

Jerry wrote:

Took these the other day. Thought they came out really decent.

I presume you'd like some honest feedback.

They are decent technically. No big issues with exposure, tonality is good, and so are the colors. The light is OK (although far from special) - except in the last one, where the use of direct flash creates some distracting shadows.

But they are boring. There is no story in these photos. Worse still, composition is the single most important element, and in these photos it's more than obvious that you have not paid much attention to it. There is imbalance between subject & secondary elements - with the possible exception of #4 (probably an accident, since the distance allowed for an evenly colored background to be completely out of focus)

#1. The background spoils what would've been a decent composition, because it's far too obtrusive. The color of the cup also happens to be the same as the foliage. There are distracting highlights right above the subject

#2. Lines, half-cropped subject and other elements, a blurred patch on the bottom left...All these don't make a great composition

#3 objects are cut-off in the middle in a way that makes the viewer think you sneezed while you were taking the image.

#5 is better than the rest, although the angle and the placement are not very inspiring.

#6, 7 are better than #1-3, but it's still boring. There is no story there. On the first there is a bird sitting, on the second there is a bird scratching its foot. You should ask yourself: "How can I not take a picture similar as a million others?"

Here's one idea I had some time ago, to show you what you could be after in terms of composition and differentiation:

#8 summarizes everything that is wrong with these photos. There are just too many distracting elements, too many lines, too much competing color, too many blurred blobs. The tiny subject is utterly lost.

Don't give up, it takes time to develop an eye for all these. Just keep taking photos and self-evaluate.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry
Like?
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, 9 months ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to review and comment in such detail.  Always looking for ways to improve.

Jerry

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,939Gear list
Like?

A colourful set - I like the way the parrot is looking right at you in the second photo!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
DukeCC
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, 9 months ago

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see where C&C was requested.

But you have responded with some good points, for sure.  As far as your example image, I really like the colors, composition, and post-processing.  But that dark area on the wing at top messes with my mind.  I feel like the bird is rubbing against something unseen in the foreground and I want to flinch.

OP--you obviously have taken some time with these, so the smudge was an unfortunate miss (for instance).

I do not think they are as bad as the criticism might make them seem.  The last one is a throw-away, perhaps.  You probably would benefit from spending a little more time, taking some more shots, and hopefully result in some better angles and such.

That 35 is really showing some nervous bokeh, plus you did not get the separation you were probably hoping for in that first shot.  A tighter crop with some sharpening might help--if these are relatively SOOC, and the default sharpening was used, then they could benefit with some sharpening.

Pretty good stuff overall.  IMHO.

DukeCC's gear list:DukeCC's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658Gear list
Like?

I enjoyed these pics, thanks for posting.

Not every image has to have perfect composition to be enjoyable, I'm not saying the advice given by some here is wrong, but these things can be open to interpretation.

The D5300 seems like a fine camera.

DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
In reply to DukeCC, 9 months ago

DukeCC wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see where C&C was requested.

Oh, did I break some protocol without knowing?!

I kinda assumed if someone posted photos, s/he would like some feedback...

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

Looks to me like you posted them straight out of the Camera without any post-processing. There is a lot you can do in post, like cropping the image, selective sharpening (like maybe the legs of the Butterflys), add a Vignette and so on and so forth. If you shoot raw you can do everything including changing the white balance.

I was surprised by the first shot, simply because its at 35mm, the Butterfly looks huge and I guess you had to get pretty close for that shot. I like it.

I like the colors on the second one, a little post-processing would help that image.

I just like 3,4 and 5 for the Butterflys, I think 5 is the best one and it would benefit from some PP.

You might try cropping the last one and doing some PP on it. I look at it with the Loupe and it has plenty of resolution.

Overall I enjoyed you Shots, thanks for sharing.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Derma pro
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?

very nice photos. thanks for sharing.

did you shoot jpg or RAW? If Jpg, what is the WB and picture control settings are you using to get nice colors.

Derma pro's gear list:Derma pro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Jerry
Like?
In reply to Derma pro, 9 months ago

I just want to thank all for viewing and commenting. I do believe there could be improvement in composition and cropping. I did crop the last picture to remove most of the green blob in the lower corner but when posting the pictures I grabbed the original by mistake. If you follow the Flicker link you can see the cropped one which is somewhat better.

I do disagree with the comment they are boring pictures.  What may be boring to one could be very interesting to someone else.  Here in Massachusetts during the winter time we lack a lot of daylight and color. I always enjoy going to Magic Wings during this time to view the colors and essence of spring in the air during the winter months. I love the close up details of the butterflies. I was pleased with the D5300 to perform as well as it did nailing the focus point just where I had centered it.

These were rather close shots of less than 10 feet away from the subject.

I am having trouble getting clear shots 50-100 feet away around 300mm. May just be the lens or maybe it's me due to camera shake. I have been a little camera handicapped since suffering a stroke in 2011, still having fine motor control issues which due limit my stability. Maybe time for mono-pod or tripod more often.

Photo's were shot as:

JPEG Fine and Large

Vivid: Sharp at 6, Contrast 1, Bright 0, Sat 0, Hue 0

White Balance Auto with no offset.

In my opinion we all get what we can out of photography. I don't really think there should be hard fast rules that need to be applied to composition 100% of the time.  Sometimes you just have the grab the shot at the time perfect or not.

Moving forward improvement should always be ones goal.

Again thanks to all for ALL comments.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Derma pro
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?

and thanks again for you for your sharing and hope you recover completely from the residues of that stroke. and enjoy your photography.

Derma pro's gear list:Derma pro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187
Like?

... Jerry: Great to share your photos. Good colors, and attractive subjects.

... Myself, I think if a photo is posted, comments should be welcomed. I thought Digital's comments were excellent. Composition need not be a story, it is a relationship and balance of subject and context. I consider the biggest error in photography is to believe that one is merely taking pictures of things. Backgrounds and context are equally as important as subjects.

Jerry
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, 9 months ago

I also thought Digital's comments were excellent.  I guess we just differ on what is boring or not, but that's to be expected, we all have our own opinions.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Jerry
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, 9 months ago

Thank you Iain

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads