Nikon D5300 Color rendition

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Derma pro
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Nikon D5300 Color rendition
11 months ago

I own a nikon D5300 for about a week now. I played with the settings trying to get the same results I used to get from my nikon D5100. In fact the focus speed and accuracy is generally better and the sharpness is better. But I get pale colors in comparison with the D5100 although I use the following settings:

white balance: auto with Amber (A) +2

Picture control: standard:  sharpness 5, saturation +2 and contrast, brightness and hue to default 0

auto ISO starting from 100 with max ISO 6400.

I used to have more natural, vibrant colors with the D5100 , although I used to put it into auto WB with Amber +1 and saturation +1 in picture control and sharpness 6.

I am surprised because on paper the D5300 has color depth of 24 compared to 23.5 for the D5100 in DXomark test. and it has Expeed 4 processor in place of the older Expeed 2 in D5100, a change claimed to improve Image Quality. I notice that the image is better in sharpness and details only which may be due to more megapixels and removal of the anti-aliasing filter.

Did anyone notice this color issue? what could be the cause? and any suggestions to get better colors?

thanks in advance

P.S. I use the lenses: 18-55 kit lens, 18-105 VR, and 35 1.8 lens

Derma pro's gear list:Derma pro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Nikon D5100 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D5300 Color rendition
In reply to Derma pro, 11 months ago

Try cloudy white balance, that should improve things a bit. I tend to use that as a default on my D5100 because NZ has more uv light.

You should be able to set it up how you like it, maybe boost saturation a smidgen and see if that helps too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Derma pro
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, 11 months ago

I'll try that in daylight, but indoors I think the auto is better but still the photos from the nikon D5100 was easily adjusted to nice vibrant natural colors.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?

Derma pro wrote:

I'll try that in daylight, but indoors I think the auto is better but still the photos from the nikon D5100 was easily adjusted to nice vibrant natural colors.

It's an interesting change for sure, I'm seriously considering upgrading to the D5300 at some point so I will be very interested in how you go with this colour issue. I ended up tinkering around with the presets quite a bit and use my camera primarily on the landscape preset with slight modification.

In saying that, I am relying on RAW much more than jpegs now and generally just shoot a jpeg as well just as a reference for editing the RAW files.

You may be able to set up your white balance and picture controls specifically for indoor shooting with one of the custom presets perhaps? the sensor should definitely be capable of producing vibrant colours.

It will be interesting to see how you go.

Derma pro
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, 11 months ago

I got satisfying result by saturation +2 and Amber +1 auto WB by shooting in live view. the colors are less vibrant in shooting through the view finder. I thought the focus system is different but seems the exposure metering is also different!

The problem I face with the above adjustment is that the facial skin tones got some reddish hue.

I'll try some other adjustments during the day.

Derma pro
Like?

the following adjustments seem better than the first one:

WB auto with 0 or +1 Magenta

picture contorl: standard: sharpness 5, contrast +1, brightness +1, saturation +2, hue -1

there are still for indoor photos, and I need to test day in day light tomorrowy.

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

I find that the default value of D5300 is very accurate and i have been pleased with it.  If i have to make some minor adjustments i do them is post processing.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
RyanBoston
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?

I own a nikon D5300 for about a week now. I played with the settings trying to get the same results I used to get from my nikon D5100. In fact the focus speed and accuracy is generally better and the sharpness is better. But I get pale colors in comparison with the D5100 although I use the following settings:

white balance: auto with Amber (A) +2

Picture control: standard:  sharpness 5, saturation +2 and contrast, brightness and hue to default 0

auto ISO starting from 100 with max ISO 6400.

I used to have more natural, vibrant colors with the D5100 , although I used to put it into auto WB with Amber +1 and saturation +1 in picture control and sharpness 6.

I am surprised because on paper the D5300 has color depth of 24 compared to 23.5 for the D5100 in DXomark test. and it has Expeed 4 processor in place of the older Expeed 2 in D5100, a change claimed to improve Image Quality. I notice that the image is better in sharpness and details only which may be due to more megapixels and removal of the anti-aliasing filter.

Did anyone notice this color issue? what could be the cause? and any suggestions to get better colors?

thanks in advance

P.S. I use the lenses: 18-55 kit lens, 18-105 VR, and 35 1.8 lens

The default color setting are very accurate and shouldn't need any bump in standard mode. If anything set in neutral and set contrast +1, sharpness 6 or 7, saturation +1.

I had the D5100 and while it was good, the colors were a little punchy sometimes. The D5300 is more accurate and captures colors excellent.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Nikon D5300
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

Try shooting raw for a while, If  you can process them to jpeg in the Camera with the D5300 that would be a good way to  play with all the settings till you get it just the way you want it.  It works that way with the D5100 for me, however its better when you connect the Camera to a good monitor.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Derma pro
Like?
In reply to RyanBoston, 11 months ago

thanks for your reply. it is nice that you had D5100 before.

I don't know if you notice such thing, but in the D5100 when I am in a hurry, I used to use one setting in P mode which works fine for both indoor and outdoor and even for flash shots. Now, I notice that the settings to get good colors indoors make very pale colors outdoors.

I appreciate the opinions that colors are more accurate in the D5300 and this plus others like AF and sharpness which attracted me to the D5300. But really I find that the colors was easier to adjust in the D5100. The pale colors are more common in D5300 and I need to push the saturation more than usual and also the WB to the A+.

Today I tried very hard to get the true color of the sea and surroundings from my building, and the surroundings including the green trees were pale and just became vibrant with the vivid setting but the sea became more blue than the apparent color.

I know it may be the difficulty of getting used to the new camera, but really I didn't face this problem regarding colors with my previous D40 and then D5100. the only problem I had with D5100 was an AF points accuracy problem.

Bunjo
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?

I found that my D70 needed to be set with a Picture Control of 'Vivid' and a touch of sharpening. My D3100 was fine with 'Standard' with one tick of saturation added, same with my D5300. I go in for further individual adjustments for my 'prized' images.

However I would add that colour perception is very personal and also dependent on the  screen or printing process (unless you go in for colour calibration).

Derma pro
Like?
In reply to Bunjo, 11 months ago

thanks for your comment. what about the white balance? do you use a WB setting for everything, or change it frequently?

Bunjo
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?

In the winter I would usually leave the WB on the D3100 as 'Cloudy'. The D5300 has so far been fine set on 'Auto' but the weather has not been varied enough to form a reliable opinion. The D5300 coped well with indoor conditions, better than the D3100 ever did, although the lighting was a mix of bright CFL and tungsten. I'll probably take more RAW images indoors in future so I can fine tune the images.

Hope that helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads